The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
SPL Transducer - Shipping Next Week
Old 1st September 2007 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri Kogan View Post
In the box is where it is right now. I am tempted to try it one more time before shipping it out mainly due to so many people here raving about it. Maybe we are doing something wrong? But the clients rejected these tracks every time.

Yuri
I'd strongly suggest trying it one more time, and judge it for yourself, not based on your clients. It seems very possible that they wanted to use another option simply because they didn't like the idea of a cab simulator (or did they end up using a cab sim from another company).

Either way, you may end up kicking yourself if this box becomes a hit, requested by a lot of people, suddenly hard to obtain, and skyrockets in price. Hey, it's possible - it's exactly what happened to the original Palmer when it went extinct.
Lives for gear

Kittoinan,

Your handle made my wife go Woa!

Because you see, one of the myriad of little pet names I have called her was "My Kitten" or Kitten. Then I have claimed that soon they will be coming back for her from the planet kittonia, implying that she was some sort of space cadet.

Now I have found somone right here from her planet!
Whaddynow.

:Ron
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitman View Post
Kittoinan,

Your handle made my wife go Woa!

Because you see, one of the myriad of little pet names I have called her was "My Kitten" or Kitten. Then I have claimed that soon they will be coming back for her from the planet kittonia, implying that she was some sort of space cadet.

Now I have found somone right here from her planet!
Whaddynow.

:Ron
nice thumbsup
Lives for gear

Someone please post a clip, we know you're out there!!! something heavy that will melt my face off.
Old 3rd September 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by beau_mckee View Post
Someone please post a clip, we know you're out there!!! something heavy that will melt my face off.
+11
Old 27th September 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear

I have tried both the Transducer and the Palmer, and the Tranducer seems like such a higher grade piece of gear. If you want one, you better act fast. The dollar is sinking like a rock against the Euro - today was a new low. So all German goods like the Palmer and Transducer are going to be skyrocketing.

By the way, I just put an SPL Transducer up for sale (like new!) for $850. click here for more details

Last edited by gregohb; 27th September 2007 at 12:11 AM.. Reason: link is misdirecting
Old 16th October 2007 | Show parent
SPL
Gear Nut

new demo files

Hi all,

we have updated the demo files ... 23 new tracks.

http://www.soundperformancelab.com/t...1_demos_E.html

US site: http://www.spl-usa.com/transducer/2601_demos_E.html
Old 4th November 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear
bump again. can't believe nobody's using this!?
again specially interested in what the transducer can do better than the palmers?
Old 29th November 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Any one still like this much better then the Palmer????
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPL View Post
Hi all,

we have updated the demo files ... 23 new tracks.

Sound Performance Lab – Transducer

US site: Sound Performance Lab – Transducer
They sound pretty good, even at high levels where the amp's breaking up, which is a good test for cab sims.
Lives for gear

got one!

if you can not work with areal cab, like I can not in the moment this is the best way for me!

It does it's job with Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier (old unit!!!)
Lives for gear

Can you post a clip of your tracks with the mesa??? Thanks much
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Energie View Post

+1!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Lives for gear

I have never tried a unit like this although I would like to do a shootout between the Palmer, Marshall, ADA and SPL.

Considering the cost, almost 2x the other ones used on Ebay, I dunno if it's worth it.
Old 30th November 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear

I would consider including the Sequis Motherload in that shootout.

In my opinion NONE of these items are without faults and NONE of them 'sound like' the real deal... They all have (different) pros and cons and only your ears and preferences will be able to tell you which one is for you.
Old 3rd December 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Energie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by beau_mckee View Post
+1!!!!!!!!!!!!1
will do so when the mesa boggie returns from technical service! hopefully in two weeks!
Old 26th July 2008 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Hi,

I would also REAALLLYYY like a heavy distortion clip !!

It's the only reason stopping me from buying it.

*Paranoia me* thinks the only reason why SPL hasn't post a diezel or mesa boogie or peavey 6505 clip is because the clips would suck.
If they don't suck then they are not good at marketing.

There is a HUGE market for heavy distortion these days.

I'm looking for a sound like this:
http://www.myspace.com/parkwaydrive
Old 28th July 2008 | Show parent
SPL
Gear Nut

here's the updated link to the demo files ... we have relaunched our site a few months ago.

Demos: Sound Performance Lab
Lives for gear

I was really hoping these would be great, but I couldn't get a good sound recording using the SPL or the Palmer using a Marshall 50w. I tried both, and in the end, I went back using a Pod Pro. If you run that through some of the plugin speaker simulators it gave a nicer beefier tone. In no way were they as good as just putting a microphone in front of a speaker cabinet. Sorry to give a bad review, but I wasted time and money with high hopes.
Gear Nut

Well my room is just horrible so anything will be a hug benefit for me.

Anyho:
I mailed them with the question and theire customer support is great, response in 1 day. So thats a +1 for SPL, hehe.

The marshall/savage "heavy" distortion samples really are not the BEEF I'm looking for. So I'm still looking forward for some high distortion riffs played by a true metal/punk guitar player that treats the strings as if they must crack as soon as possible.
Shredding so hard the guitar would burst in flames and the devil himself would cry stikestikeheh

Seriously, put some EMG --> mesa boogie + 5150 --> quadtriple track it and make us cry and buy ! $$

Old 30th July 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Yeah exactly. The SPL and Palmer sounded Fizzy to me. The POD Pro is closer to the real sound of a marshall cranked which has some subtley and warmth and character. the pod is got a bit of a synthesized sound to it without the variation but its a good sound.

you may also check out a tube preamp to get distortion like the Hafler T2 (which I coincidentally am selling in the classified area here). There is also the Sansamp stuff but I don't know that much about them.
Old 25th October 2008 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

bump ( emg-mesa clips)
Old 28th November 2008 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Transducen on the Mix bus

I know what it was made for, but i wonder what would happen on the stereo program with the subtle compression of a good set of speakers.

did you tried on that fashion? ( i know it's mono.....two times capture)
Old 16th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

bump an old thread. has anyone put a deizel/5150 into this unit yet? id love to hear some heavy stuff. i mean death/thrash metal heavy.
Old 16th January 2009
Lives for gear

After reading this post and the web site, I dont' understand how this works. Do you just plug your amp output into this thing?

I found that all the examples are very clean, open, detailed, 3 dim., and having a good top end.......unlike all the classic records of Jimi Page, Jeff Beck, Larry Carlton, Lee Ritenour, and everyone else that I like. They all have wamrth, character, and punch that this thing seems to lack. On the examples I heard, it lacks the character that I like when putting a mic against the guitar cab. First off, I like getting a dynamic mic close to the grill and and condensor a little further away to pick up the detailed high end more and some of the room. Then mix the two togehter....nothing new, many have done that. By choosing your microphones, and pre's, you can get a particular sound that you want. Also nothing beats an Avalon pre for bass guitar for a punchy clear bass tone, and the Manley pre for a smoother but full bodied sound. I don't know, this new gadet does not do it for me.....that is listening to MP3's through my computer speakers. I may be wrong, but so far, it's not what I would want.
Old 16th January 2009 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube World View Post
Do you just plug your amp output into this thing?
Yep.
Old 19th January 2009 | Show parent
SPL
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube World View Post
After reading this post and the web site, I dont' understand how this works. Do you just plug your amp output into this thing?

.....that is listening to MP3's through my computer speakers. .....
H tube world,

did you compare by listening to the sounds you like through computer speakers as well?
I am just asking to know ... it may be a general problem with offering MP3 demo files.

Paul
Old 19th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

heavy clips...anyone?

the first person to make a unit that nails direct high-gain tones will become a millionare.

so far the axe-fx is the baddest thing out there for digital direct recording. id love to give this unit a spin and see how it compares to the digital stuff.

to bad it is mono though.

if you could run your head into it and have a stereo output w 2 seperate channels to tweak independently that would put this unit on top of the competition.
Old 7th February 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Unhappy what sucks, transducer or my ears?

i usually use a Laney GH50L -> 10" speaker isolation cabinet. i was pretty happy with my sound, but wanted more thud, "mic sound" and air pressure in it.

i got a Transducer. perhaps naively, i hoped it would be reminiscent of the original sound, but with some nice options. instead, it sounds very different, diluted and distant to my ears. if i turn up the mic level and speaker action, it boosts the low end it needs but gets overly compressed and crumbly sounding in a hurry. i get the mic sound and air pressure, but everything else i liked is out the window.

if anyone has suggestions, i'd love to hear them. maybe the people that talk the Transducer up just play very different tones, but i'm somewhat disappointed. it's true that clean settings sound good, but i play chuggy scooped metalishness with high gain and low drive. maybe my ears and expectations suck.
📝 Reply