The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
AudioScape Engineering Co. showcasing NEW Products at NAMM 2019!
Old 4th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
I’ve always thought one grabs the STA once you have your 1176, la2a, maybe la3a or 4a covered...
Well, it's all about what you like and how you like it. I defintely use my Retro more then I ever have the Mohog 76 I had or any of the LA2A inspired comps I've owned. Never had the others. I love Mu comps, and while maybe the 176 is the Zeus of Mu's, the STA is certainly Apollo. But I'm making folk, country rockish singersongwriter sh!t that wants to nod off to the love child of Bones Howe and Chips Moman, so you know, horses for courses or whatever granny use to say.
Old 4th March 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuchsia View Post
Good lord. It's beautiful... I'm so bummed. I just recently had some things happen in life that really prevent me from investing in this baby for about a year. Please don't stop offering it! I'll join the party eventually haha
Haha, THAT is the type of reaction that instantly puts a smile on our faces ;-)

I'm sorry to hear you're going through some trying times! Things will turn around, they always do...!

However, never fear! The V-Comp will be a regularly stocked product after we release the first batch or two (we tend to favor small batches of new products upon their initial release, there are many reasons for this but it generally allows us to get a decent amount built-up and ready for the masses, while still getting units into the wild!).

@ bgood - I would definitely agree with you to an extent; snag a GOOD 76 and Opto based compressor (of course I'm going to recommend the 76A and Opto Comp, but whatever fits your budget and gets you the sound that's in your head!) because those two compressors ALONE will cover SO much ground, whether used in tandem or separately..

However, in @ swafford 's case, for the genre's of music he's working on, I can see why he would prefer a STA styled v-mu compressor to a 76 or Optical comp. The V imparts Bold, but lovely saturation, grit and authority in spades and as I've already said; the V-Comp imparts a particular sonority that the Opto simply can't and vice versa.

Sonically, there is very little overlap IMO, between the two (as far as WHEN I would use one or the other and WHY). They both use tubes, but that's kind of where the similarities end.

Much love to all! AudioScape 2019 - THIS IS US!
We've got some really interesting, "out-of-left-field" products coming down the pipeline....
Old 18th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by the fxs View Post
thanks for the quick reply! just pulled the trigger on a pair. fast and great communication btw, thanks again Chris!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioScape View Post
Welcome to the AudioScape Family man!

Thank you for the kind words! Glad to be of service and as always, hope you love them as much as we are proud of them!

Please report back when you have a chance to put the Opto through it's paces! We always love hearing customer feedback.
just a little update:

received my pair last week, well packed and shipped quite fast. nice build quality, looks and feels solid.
the german customs charged me another 360€ for my two units.
so for german buyers, a pair will cost you 2260€ shipped and all taxes added.
Old 18th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
just a little update:

received my pair last week, well packed and shipped quite fast. nice build quality, looks and feels solid.
Thanks FXS!

If I may ask, what were the actual import taxes? I know they charge VAT on the over-all amount but just wondering what the actual import duty was?

Something in the €50 range possibly?

Many thanks!

R.
Old 18th March 2019
Lives for gear

i don't have the bill in front of me right now, but the final price of the units incl shipping, excl tax was 1900€.
360€ is 19% of those 1900€.
Old 18th March 2019
Lives for gear

first test drive on female vocals and stereo drum bus today. sheeeeeeshhh ! ! !
Old 18th March 2019
JGM
Lives for gear

Quote:
just a little update:

Do you mind telling pair of what?
Thanks
Old 18th March 2019
JGM
Lives for gear

Quote:
Which unit?
Old 19th March 2019
Lives for gear

LA2A's / Opto Comps
Old 19th March 2019
JGM
Lives for gear

Quote:
LA2A's / Opto Comps
Ah... Nice!
Old 20th March 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
::bows down:: thank you SO MUCH for the kind words!

Using a stereo-pair of Opto Comp's is truly SUBLIME, I must admit.

Completely self-indulgent in the BEST WAY possible

Let us know how you get on with them as time passes!
Old 20th March 2019
Lives for gear

All products are sold out?? When are they again available?
Old 20th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
That highpass filter sets it apart from most others. Contrary to what lots of gs's say, try it on snare. Actually, try it on everything
Makes things fatter..
Old 21st March 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-are View Post
That highpass filter sets it apart from most others. Contrary to what lots of gs's say, try it on snare. Actually, try it on everything
Makes things fatter..
The Opto is actually one of our favorite Kick / SNR compressors (and of course, other "similar" topology compressors).

Indeed, the HF knob is CRUCIAL to the workflow and sonic versatility of the Opto Comp. Makes a DRAMATIC difference. As noted in the "Quick-Start Guide":
Turning the HF knob CCW variably filters the amount of low-end heading to the T4B. Full CW is "flat" (full-bandwidth compression).

This allows for all sorts of fun and trickery.. have a super bright vocal? Turn the HF knob to 9-12 o'clock. Instantly handled, allowing the Opto to work it's magic and narrow in on only the higher-frequencies of the source audio.

Thank you for the kind words!
Old 21st March 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musician View Post
All products are sold out?? When are they again available?
We currently have the Buss Comp in stock and will be putting up a few Opto Comp's tomorrow!

Waiting on iron for the 76A. As well as for the D-Comp and V-Comp (as mentioned prior). Once the iron arrives for the D and V, we will announce an OFFICIAL RELEASE date! WOOHOO!

Thanks to allllllll and to all a good night!! (or morning, or afternoon, haha).
Old 19th May 2019
How do you actually buy these products? I got an email this morning announcing a The V-comp NOS. And 4 hours later it’s sold out along with everything else on their website. Is there a waiting list, like Stam?
Old 19th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEMAS View Post
How do you actually buy these products? I got an email this morning announcing a The V-comp NOS. And 4 hours later it’s sold out along with everything else on their website. Is there a waiting list, like Stam?
Well if you got the same email I got, you may have noticed other words besides "immediate purchase." I highlighted them for you.

Quote:
**MONDAY, MAY 20th**
8PM EASTERN STANDARD TIME

**V-COMP "6386 EDITION"
AVAILABLE FOR IMMEDIATE PURCHASE ON OUR WEBSITE!
They do special sales like this one when introducing a new product. The last one (D-Box) sold out in about 10 minutes, I think. I was at my kids concert, so lost out on the chance.

Other then that, his products are in high demand and sell out fast when they are listed. You just got to keep a close watch on the website, Instagram, FB and your email box. For instance, yesterday, there were Bus Compressors for sale, no notice, no update posts. Today they are sold out.

Here's a tip: create an account NOW so your not typing in your info when they go on sale.
Old 19th May 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by swafford View Post
Well if you got the same email I got, you may have noticed other words besides "immediate purchase." I highlighted them for you.

Got it. I interpreted it to be - released on Monday, but available now. Wonder how long the window will be open.
Old 19th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

Got it. I interpreted it to be - released on Monday, but available now. Wonder how long the window will be open.
lol, yeah I can see that. Basically he lights up 'in stock' sign at 8pm and "bam!" the mad scramble to get your deets in and then they're gone.
Old 19th May 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by swafford View Post

They do special sales like this one when introducing a new product. The last one (D-Box) sold out in about 10 minutes, I think. I was at my kids concert, so lost out on the chance.

Other then that, his products are in high demand and sell out fast when they are listed. You just got to keep a close watch on the website, Instagram, FB and your email box. For instance, yesterday, there were Bus Compressors for sale, no notice, no update posts. Today they are sold out.

Here's a tip: create an account NOW so your not typing in your info when they go on sale.
AS ALWAYS, thank you for chiming in, swafford!

I couldn't have said it any better myself. Hahaha...everything posted above is 100% accurate and the tip about creating an account NOW is a BIG ONE.

Another HUGE TIP: paying with a CC is MUCH FASTER than paying with PayPal (has to connect to PayPal servers, approve, and then complete the order on our site) which takes MUCH longer than using a CC (by much longer I'm talking a few seconds)

...but these new release products / sales have been continually selling out in 60 seconds and often times, QUICKER. Which is INSANE!

BUT, since then, we have released 2 or 3 more batches, without any hub-bub so that people have the chance to grab one without a "mad-dash" sort of situation. We may do an IG story and lowkey let a few people know, but no posts or e-mails, etc. Basically, the same way we list ALL of our products.

We will have more Buss Comps in a day or so, probably sooner. Those we typically ALWAYS have in stock... anytime there's a "new product release", any other products IN STOCK on the website tend to go fairly quickly as well.

Good "problem" to have but we are DILIGENTLY working towards SUPPLY meeting DEMAND. Hired a slew of new highly-qualified assemblers and things are moving along nicely! Once we receive all of the components required from our suppliers, products are built and up on the site extremely fast.

Thanks for sticking by us, guys (and gals)!

Soon enough, every product will be in stock with the end-goal being, STAYING in stock. Demand is quite high and there are only a certain number of units we can build BY HAND () each day, so we will always be a bit encumbered by that.

TOTALLY WORTH IT!
Old 19th May 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:

No worries, bud!

I can see how it could be interpreted that way but I guess I assumed most people were already aware of how we do these types of "OFFICIAL RELEASE" sales. My bad, That's on me!

As far as "how long the window will be open", like all of our products, they will be up for sale until they are all SOLD OUT.

If the past is any indicator, the period between 8PM (going live) and them being all sold out will be quite short.

But never fear! "STANDARD EDITION" V-Comps will be released VERY soon and on top of them being INTERNATIONAL VOLTAGE ready, they will be available much more often and in much more plentiful amounts, as the e-mail you received explains.

Not to mention, the "STANDARD EDITION" is actually more versatile in all reality. To turn it into a "6386 EDITION" literally all you will have to do is remove the 6BA6 Tube Adaptor board that's in the 6386 socket, source your own 6386, put it in said socket and BOOM! You now have a "6386 EDITION" V-COMP

Thanks for the interest, man!
Old 19th May 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioScape View Post

But never fear! "STANDARD EDITION" V-Comps will be released VERY soon and on top of them being INTERNATIONAL VOLTAGE ready, they will be available much more often and in much more plentiful amounts, as the e-mail you received explains.

Not to mention, the "STANDARD EDITION" is actually more versatile in all reality. To turn it into a "6386 EDITION" literally all you will have to do is remove the 6BA6 Tube Adaptor board that's in the 6386 socket, source your own 6386, put it in said socket and BOOM! You now have a "6386 EDITION" V-COMP
Awesome. Thanks for the heads up on those points.
Old 19th May 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Awesome. Thanks for the heads up on those points.
Absolutely, man! We're always here to help!

As far as international voltage goes, since we've had SO MANY requests from folks overseas about this and the V-Comp, we DO have a very affordable step-up transformer we recommend if you'd like to try and get in on this run of V-Comps, or otherwise!

PM me if you'd like to know the model we're recommending

Old 17th June 2019
Lives for gear

Ordered my V-Comp this week. Can’t wait to use it!

I am thrilled with my Audioscape opto comp, and I’ve never been happier with my vocal chain.
Old 17th June 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by proxy View Post
Ordered my V-Comp this week. Can’t wait to use it!

I am thrilled with my Audioscape opto comp, and I’ve never been happier with my vocal chain.
Oh man! Woohoo!!

You're going to FREAK when you hear the V-COMP for the first time on a vocal, bass, guitar, etc... pure v-mu tube gooey, thick, opulent character

Thank you for the kind words about our OPTO COMP! That's my personal go-to LD Vocal Comp. 76A into OPTO COMP (sub V-COMP here when looking for a more vintage, commanding, formidable vocal sound... Johnny Cash style)!

Thanks for your support and a warm welcome to the AudioScape Family!

We've got some really cool new products in development... keep your eyes out!

I hope you enjoy, use (and abuse) your AS gear for years and years to come!!
Old 4 weeks ago
An email that I received about the V-comp stated that it would ship with an NOS 6386 tube but the Audioscape website says it will ship with a JJ 6386. What's the scoop on this?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjb5191 View Post
An email that I received about the V-comp stated that it would ship with an NOS 6386 tube but the Audioscape website says it will ship with a JJ 6386. What's the scoop on this?
GREAT question!

LONG story short; we quickly realized it would be nearly impossible to source reliable, low-noise, (well-matched triodes) NOS 6386 tubes with any degree of success or certainty. This was a MAJOR headache VERY early on after the "OFFICIAL" release of the V-COMP.

It got to a point where we had purchased a fair stash of NOS, GE 5-Star 6386 Tubes after our initial stock-pile was used. We ended up having to scrap about half of them for various reasons. Some were too noisy, some had poorly matched triodes resulting in ugly or incorrect compression action, etc. And these were tubes that had been "tested" and sold as "functionally sound" and "exceptional". Sometimes we had recourse but many times we did not. It was starting to get ugly in certain cases.....

This led not only to massive frustration but a large sum of money down the drain. Not good for ANYBODY.

In the back of our heads, we had always wondered about the current production JJ 6386; how they sounded, performed and their overall reliability. We decided to order a handful of JJ LGP 6386 Tubes and put them up against our 2 "gold standard" NOS 6386 Tubes we have here that we test all others against.

Not only did the JJ's have much SUPERIOR noise-specs, the twin triodes were also MUCH more closely matched and "stable" in the V-COMP circuit.

They reacted, performed and paramount to all sounded JUST as good as our two "gold-standard" 6386 tubes but with even LOWER noise. This was GREAT!

It was the best move we could have made for the V-COMP for a variety of reasons. We can now offer them MUCH more frequently, easily address any service or warranty issues related to the 6386 that may arise within the 2-year period we offer and moreover, we were able to RETAIN the amazing sonics that the 6386 adds to the V-COMP and the sum of it's parts.

We still have an adaptor board that houses a pair of matched 6BA6 tubes if you're into that sound, but we found that most users preferred the single 6386, and we'd have to agree. The 6BA6 pair is close, but the color and "vibe" is a bit off.

I know there are some early, mixed reports of the JJ 6386 out there but it seems JJ have sorted these issues out and the resulting tube is quite stunning, TBH. We have yet to come across a bunk JJ 6386 from the many we have ordered and the sonic consistency of them is also very welcomed.

Basically, it's a win-win for everyone involved! The JJ's are being used in a number of other high-end v-mu compressors with great success and honestly, we couldn't be happier.

The JJ's ARE expensive. Not as bad as NOS 6386 prices (which are rising almost weekly it seems) but still a good chunk of change. No quantity discounts, etc. We basically pay what a consumer would, I believe it's $118 PER tube.

We'd rather pay for consistent quality and spot-on sonics than take a gamble on a $225+ tube that may or may not operate as it should once it arrives at our facility before going out to you, the customer. We test and burn these things in extensively before shipping them out.

I guess my short story turned into a long story. Sorry. LOL.

BUT, as always, we're STAUNCH believers of FULL DISCLOSURE, being up-front, honest and transparent. No smoke and mirrors. No trickery. NO BS.

BADABING BADABOOM!!!

NOW, go get you a V-COMP and be happy!!!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Got my V-Comp recently and love it!

I haven’t A/B-Ed with my STA-Level and don’t intend to, because I don’t need anything to be identical to anything else.

But I do find the V-Comp is something I’d reach for to solve similar problems: great beefy sound, and I love what it does when pushed... nice and hairy.

Love these products and can’t wait to see what else you have in store (cough cough heavy duty tube(s) mix bus master comp would be awesome)
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Thank you for caring about tight tolerances!
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by proxy View Post
Got my V-Comp recently and love it!

I haven’t A/B-Ed with my STA-Level and don’t intend to, because I don’t need anything to be identical to anything else.

But I do find the V-Comp is something I’d reach for to solve similar problems: great beefy sound, and I love what it does when pushed... nice and hairy.

Love these products and can’t wait to see what else you have in store (cough cough heavy duty tube(s) mix bus master comp would be awesome)
That's SO AWESOME man! Thank you for the amazing feedback!

I love your mindset of "I don't need anything to be identical to anything else" which is amazing. As we all know, the sound of most analog hardware especially when it contains NOS tubes, NOS Carbon Comp Resistors (with more VIBE but a bit more variance in sound from one to another), multiple transformers, etc CAN and MAY differ slightly from unit to unit.

This is all part of the charm and beauty that is analog and especially tubes. It's a game of subtleties, but putting up 5 LA2A's or Gates STA-Level's against each other will all yield slightly different characteristics between units.

The V-COMP however, is sonically, MUCH closer to an OG Gates STA than it may be to a Retro for varying reasons. But they all ALL fall into the same category as to how they manipulate and color your audio.

Thank you for such AMAZING kind words, as always! The V-COMP is a MONSTER of a compessor and as always, a true labor of love!

We LOVE 2BUSS processing units (EQs, Compressors, All-in-One Boxes, etc) and it's something we've been discussing. One thing to look out for from us are ORIGINAL DESIGNS; still with a strong influence of legendary units and sonics from the past but units that aren't direct circuit recreations of something else.

Exciting Times!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search