The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Eventide Releases New Instant Phaser Mk II - Own A Piece of Audio History
Old 19th January 2019
News Desk Editor

Eventide Releases New Instant Phaser Mk II - Own A Piece of Audio History-instantphaser-20mkii.jpg

The world’s first studio electronic effects box – the legendary phaser - now emulated perfectly as a plug- in for your DAW

Recording effects and technology pioneers from Eventide are proud to announce the release of the Instant Phaser Mk II plug-in for engineers, producers and musicians using Mac/PC. Crafted from the original analog hardware that Eventide created in 1972, the “Instant Phaser” sound has been captured and fashioned for modern-day versatility. The Instant Phaser Mk II delivers the original sonic character and retains the same look and feel of the the first rackmount electronic effects box to ever hit the studio. Harness the effect that was used on countless iconic recordings – such as Led Zeppelin’s “Kashmir”, and furnish your mixes with this “Instant” classic. For a limited time, the Instant Phaser Mk II plug-in is available for only $37*.

Restoring the 45 year old hardware and developing software that sounds like the original was no walk in the park:

“A true recreation of the Instant Phaser had to satisfy not only our ears but also the ears for the studio owners and the pro audio community who still own and use the original hardware,” said Anthony Agnello, Eventide’s Resident Fossil

“A strict digital simulation of an analog component is precise. Components in the real world are not. A 0.1 uF capacitor in cold precise code will be exact while a real world 0.1 uF cap’s actual value will fall within some range close to, but never exactly, 0.1 uF. We discovered that the imprecision of the values of the analog components are key to the Instant Phaser’s sonic character. The challenge was to write code that captured that imprecision.”
“This isn’t your typical phaser plug-in, this is owning a piece of history. We’re pleased to release an authentic recreation of the world’s first and cherished rackmount electronic effects processor.”

Features:

Phasing Control:
• Manual mode allows for precise automation of the phasing effect
• Oscillator modulates the phasing at a user defined rate
• Envelope follower allows the input signal to drive the phase effect, and can accept input from a
sidechain source
• Remote mode maps the phasing control to a modwheel for tactile manipulation of the phasing

Pseudo Stereo:
Like the original hardware, the Instant Phaser Mk II provides a pair of de-correlated outputs offering three different sonic characteristics “Shallow”, “Deep”, and “Wide” for creating a stereo image. Musicians, engineers and producers can use these effects to turn flat-sounding mono guitars into monstrous stereo leads or make a single channel synthesizer fill out the soundscape of the mix.

The Passage of Time:
Eventide’s analysis of their 45+ year old Instant Phaser unit revealed that not only is the analog world imprecise, but it is also ever-changing. As components age, their values drift. In order to match the sound of an Instant Phaser that has been sitting in a rack for all those years, they decided to add an “Age” feature. Simply set the “Age” to “0” to mimic a brand new, perfectly tuned Phaser, or dial in the effect of time passing. Crank the age to “100” and hear how the unit will sound long after the last glacier has melted.

Price and Availability:
The Instant Phaser Mk II plug-in is available for Mac & PC and is compatible with popular DAWs, in AAX, VST2, and AU formats for an introductory price* of just $37 from your favorite plug-in dealer or from evetintideaudio.com.
Registered owners of the Eventide Anthology X or Anthology XI bundles can get the Instant Phaser Mk II as a FREE download, available immediately from: Eventide Audio

*After February 28, 2019, the price of the Instant Phaser Mk II software will be $129.
Attached Thumbnails
Eventide Releases New Instant Phaser Mk II - Own A Piece of Audio History-instantphaser-20mkii.jpg  
Old 19th January 2019
Lives for gear

Any love for the new Eventide Instant Phaser Mk II?

Sounds pretty good to me! Lots of controls and knobs to turn to go from subtle chorus to phasey madness. And an intro price of $37 (or less if you look around) is pretty attractive too. A huge step up from the original Instant Phaser (which I never owned).

Instant Phaser Mk II | Eventide
Old 19th January 2019
Lives for gear

bought, first impression is very positive
Old 19th January 2019
Lives for gear
So I love the sound but the LFO shape is very strange. Not a smooth sweep. More like sweep, pause/stutter, sweep. I'm sure it's some quirk of the original that was painstakingly modeled but a more traditional triangle or sine would've been nice modern additions. Luckily, the manual control combined with some host automation can do the same thing. Sound wise: fantastic. Very lush and smooth. Sounds better than any other plugin phaser I own.
Old 19th January 2019
Gear Maniac

I like all the character from it I will buy it. Looks like Eventide are now going for the Soundtoys look which is a good thing.
Old 19th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post
So I love the sound but the LFO shape is very strange. Not a smooth sweep. More like sweep, pause/stutter, sweep. I'm sure it's some quirk of the original that was painstakingly modeled but a more traditional triangle or sine would've been nice modern additions.
There's a video on Eventide's site that talks about the LFO, saying as you change the rate, it starts out being a perfect triangle and then it "distorts, starts getting rounded" - would that explain what you are hearing (because they modelled that).
Old 19th January 2019
Lives for gear
Screenshot looks like it doesn't have a mix control?
Old 19th January 2019
Gear Guru

Free for anthology owners ? cool !!
Old 19th January 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend View Post
Screenshot looks like it doesn't have a mix control?
The depth control covers that.
Old 19th January 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by cprompt View Post
There's a video on Eventide's site that talks about the LFO, saying as you change the rate, it starts out being a perfect triangle and then it "distorts, starts getting rounded" - would that explain what you are hearing (because they modelled that).
I don't think it's that. It seems to just linger too long at the bottom of the shape almost like /\_ or _/\_ instead of /\. Hope those visuals make sense.
Old 19th January 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
Free for anthology owners ? cool !!
Yup, Eventide looks after us us yet again.. brilliant
Old 19th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I don't think it's that. It seems to just linger too long at the bottom of the shape almost like /\_ or _/\_ instead of /\. Hope those visuals make sense.
In this video at 2:45 where he hooks up the hardware to an oscilloscope, you can clearly see the shape is more like _/\__/\__/\_ and not /\ /\ /\, so yeah, you're spot on.

YouTube
Old 19th January 2019
Yep. Picked it up as soon as I heard the demo. I have never been completely friends with my current phasers (Mistress, Phase Two, Phasis ++), but this one hit the spot -- and went straight into a current mix. ...I now have so many Eventide plugins that I should probably try to upgrade to the full Anthology bundle. Not a single lemon among them.

r,
j,
Old 19th January 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
In this video at 2:45 where he hooks up the hardware to an oscilloscope, you can clearly see the shape is more like _/\__/\__/\_ and not /\ /\ /\, so yeah, you're spot on.

YouTube
Yep, that makes sense then. Hadn't seen the video. Glad my ears are working! Still, if Eventide wanted to eventually include standard triangle/sine options in the LFO, maybe similar to the Wide/Deep/Shallow options, I'd be all for it. It's a great sounding plugin though, just don't love the LFO shape on super slow phasing.
Old 19th January 2019
Tui
Gear Guru

Quote:
The hardware sounds so much better... Sadly.
Old 19th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tui View Post
You got that from the tiny comparison at the end, with the drums?

Man, people here are really really good, I'm impressed.
Old 19th January 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
The thing is that correct me if i'm wrong but the modulation isn't synced the same on both , raises not at the sime time witch might be it ....

don't know
Old 19th January 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
The depth control covers that.
Ok gotcha. It looked like a modulation depth control. Should have been labelled mix afaic. Anyway looks this looks super interesting. I will try it when I get back at my daw.
Old 19th January 2019
Tui
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOh View Post

You don't need "golden ears", if that's what you mean.

I have about a dozen or so software phasers. I also have an early 80s Small Stone phaser. There is no contest, not even close.

Plugins just don't cut it. I wished they would, it would make life a lot easier.
Old 19th January 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
You don't need "golden ears", if that's what you mean.

I have about a dozen or so software phasers. I also have an early 80s Small Stone phaser. There is no contest, not even close.

Plugins just don't cut it. I wished they would, it would make life a lot easier.
Are talking all plugins or modulation fx in particular ?
Old 20th January 2019
Tui
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
Are talking all plugins or modulation fx in particular ?
No, only certain FX. Phaser is the most pronounced, followed by reverb and chorus. Software EQs and compressors are really quite good these days...
Old 20th January 2019
Gear Maniac

I thought reverbs were software even in the hardware units.
Old 20th January 2019
Tui
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daft Joe View Post
Sure they are. I'm not sure what makes the classic old units sound so much better. I guess the programming was different/better, also discrete parts as opposed to modern miniaturised chips and circuitboards played a role, as did analogue circuitry.

Everything went to tape, too.

Just listen to the old albums...
Old 20th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daft Joe View Post
I own 3 spring tanks. Tubes inside but no software. 10-1s and 0s HW reverbs as well
Old 20th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sure they are. I'm not sure what makes the classic old units sound so much better. I guess the programming was different/better, also discrete parts as opposed to modern miniaturised chips and circuitboards played a role, as did analogue circuitry.

Everything went to tape, too.

Just listen to the old albums...
Hardware digital verbs had to have A/D and D/A converters built in, these were often not great vs modern high quality convertors, this adds something to the dimensional perhaps, along with them coming back in via consoles with the inherent noise/tone and in some cases trafos. Add that up and you have more than a pure/clean ITB plug-in will give on its own, BUT you can get a lot closer by ensuring you run eq/sat/tape/trafo/console emu plugs on your reverb auxes (before/after the verb plug on the send). Without that, the verb alone can be super clean and lacking in feel/dimension, but it's easy enough to get close itb with the right process. No the code in the boxes wasn't better, in some cases it's identical, in others modern programming is a lot 'better', but they lack those round trips through convertors etc as said above.

In rock and pop, esp rock, verb isn't exactly heavily used these days anyway so it can be bedded in, more felt than heard, and the above process will help do that more naturally, like the old days, than just stick a verb on its own without eqing it or using emus to 'degrade it' a touch.

FTR I don't use/need a lot of verbs, I have a couple special plate emus but my go-to workhorse is the Relab LX-480 which is as close to the hardware as I care for it to be, esp when used as above.
Old 20th January 2019
Gear Addict

It's one of the best software phasers I've heard, along with Fazortan 2. These actually compliment each other with different sonics and feature sets. I find the allpass modelling really good on Fazortan with ultra quality.

In general adding a bit of saturation post-phaser seems to help, especially with higher resonance. With these settings hardware gets thick, crewy, and juicy sounding while digital sometimes thins out. A bit of nonlinear goodness after seems to help restore the thickness and integrate peaks and transients back into the signal when they pop out from resonance.

Eventide have a kinda dirty sounding input limiter on this and their h910...you can try pushing into it and see if the sound gets a bit more analog-ish too. Just tickling the light seems to help slightly but I haven't done any serious A/B testing yet.
Old 20th January 2019
Lives for gear

Did you compare this new V2 to the old V1? I did and it is schockingly much better sounding. I never got on with the old one, but V2 I can see myself using. Let’s hope they update all their old Anthology stuff. There are so many plugins there that I never use.
Old 20th January 2019
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOh View Post

Also noticed it straight away and was listening in an imac pro speakers.

The trick is to jump between the plugin and hardware comparison without hearing his voice. You know, they do these stops and voice overs between the comparisons and your hears/brain just resets the memory straight away and then the differences are not so obvious.

Anyway, to be more precise:

- High end brightness/sizzle gets confusing on plugin version
- Snap of the snare is to "bitey" on plugin version
- Presence/hit of snare is lost on plugin version
- The kick/low end looses presence and bass on the plugin version
- The overall sound is brighter, the transients sound more sharp but less pleasant plugin version

Notice that i didn't even commented on the effect itself, sometimes people get so focused on the tree that completely miss the forrest, and if the effect itself is actually quite ok, the overall processed sound is not so good as the hardware.

I love Eventide stuff and own both plugins and several hardware boxes, but the difference in sound between plugins and hardware is really big.
Old 20th January 2019
Tui
Gear Guru

Despite of my initial reservations, I bought a license. Instant Phaser Mk II sounds quite a bit better than the other emulations I've been using.

I attached a preset which, I think, sounds rather pleasing.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Instant Phaser Mk II Preset.tide.zip (968 Bytes, 49 views)
Old 20th January 2019
Gear Head

Hi Guys

I decided to put all my plugins to the test before buying this, you´ll find all the examples here:
Phaser plugin shootout

Tested:
Softube Fix Phaser
Native Instruments Phasis
Eventide Instant Phaser Mk II
Bluecat Phaser
Waves MetaFlanger
Cubase stock Phaser
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search