All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Cranborne Audio Introduces EC2 two channel preamp
Old 1st June 2019
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by occultron View Post
Still not available anywhere it seems?
Hey occulton,

We had some setbacks to 500R8 and 500ADAT production which has pushed all our new products back as well (N22, N22H, and EC2). The good news is 500R8 and 500ADAT are moving now (we will have availability dates soon) and as soon as our contract manufacturer clears the queue of 500R8 and 500ADAT production, EC2 will be the next product as we are prioritising it over N22/N22H as we have received so much interest.

Realistically, if all goes well, we should have units available by end of the summer.

We hate all these delays we've had and it's not how we want to do things. Unfortunately were only a couple of engineers working our butts off so a delay here or there pushes everything back... The good news is we've just hired a few more engineers and it's already making a big difference. Within a few months we will have fully caught-up (including the work on our next products we will be announcing at AES) and we won't be doing this show-a-product-and-ship-a-year-later shenanigans.

If you have any questions about features, status, etc I'm happy to answer! As for updates on pricing - we still haven't announced (no deal Brexit on 31st of October) but we have gotten all our mechanics quotes back and it's looking like we will come very close to our target of £1k retail price... But we can't confirm this until we get our contract manufacturer to look at this in depth.

Thanks occulton!

Sean
Old 30th July 2019
Just checking in on you guys -
how's the intended target release date for the EC2, as well as the pricing?

I also want to hear some good A/B match ups (correctly executed) between the Camden 500 series and this new IU version.

Very interested!
Old 30th July 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voice and Sax View Post
Just checking in on you guys -
how's the intended target release date for the EC2, as well as the pricing?

I also want to hear some good A/B match ups (correctly executed) between the Camden 500 series and this new IU version.

Very interested!
Hey @ Voice and Sax !

Due to the delays with 500R8 and 50ADAT, we have had to put Camden EC2 on the back burner a bit (there's only a few of us here and we can't focus on everything at once) however we have progressed Camden EC2 so that when 500R8 and ADAT is out of the door, EC2 will follow shortly.

In terms of comparisons... there won't be much to hear between them! The performance of both units will be pretty much identical (we designed it with that in mind!). Unlike some manufacturers who design 19" preamps and then make sacrifices shoe-horning it into a 500 series module, our Camden 500 was designed to excel in a 500 series rack and then we are simply porting it into a 19" frame (and adding a few neat things!).

More information will be coming soon after we announce availability for the racks. Thanks for the chase, we will let you know if plans change or if we have a date!

Thanks mate,
Ells
Old 31st July 2019
Thanks Ells,

Don't have any 500 gear at the moment; all rack stuff. I was going to buy a Radial Powerstrip and stuff it with two Neve Tape Emulators. Didn't know what the heck to do with one empty slot. I was thinking Avedis MA5 or something, then I heard your Camden. At the price you're selling, I should get two to have as additional pairs to my Neves, APIs and Symetrix (soon to be modded by Jim Williams).

Now you guys have completely RUINED my plans! I'll have to buy a bigger lunch box, lol.

But if you guys release the 19" I can buy one of those and go back to plan A. I was a little worried about the Radial under powering. Even though Radial makes good stuff they had a problem with power on that particular 1U 3-in-1 Powerstrip module. The Neves only draw 125mA ea I believe, which would leave 275mA of the 525mA they're rated at, if memory serves correct.

That's plenty to power a Camden 500, no? Your specs say 140mA?? Should I be concerned about power surges when the units come on?

Thanks and keep up the good work.
Old 31st July 2019
Gear Maniac
Thanks for the kind words Voice and Sax!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voice and Sax View Post
I was a little worried about the Radial under powering. Even though Radial makes good stuff they had a problem with power on that particular 1U 3-in-1 Powerstrip module. The Neves only draw 125mA ea I believe, which would leave 275mA of the 525mA they're rated at, if memory serves correct.

That's plenty to power a Camden 500, no? Your specs say 140mA?? Should I be concerned about power surges when the units come on?
That's right - 140mA is typical draw but as per the spec sheet as well it notes the 160mA max current draw as well. I'm with you though - 525mA for 3 slots isn't brilliant. Doesn't leave much headroom but 275mA is more than enough for 1 Camden 500.

Regarding power up - shouldn't have any issues with power up surges as the Camden's power sequencing is quite carefully done. This is also why we tell people to wait up to a minute after powering on before turning on 48V or passing audio, as all the buffering caps we use are quite beefy and take a bit to charge.

Cheers Voice and Sax!
Old 31st July 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karpmentalise View Post
That's right - 140mA is typical draw but as per the spec sheet as well it notes the 160mA max current draw as well.
Excellent. I believe users were only having a problem with the Radial Powerstrip with one particular 500-series Neve unit that spiked during power up.

Let me know if you guys need some wood cabinetry for custom models and such; I do custom woodwork in my shop and specialize in audio needs. Here's a recent keyboard prototype we made from solid walnut.

God bless,

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Cranborne Audio Introduces EC2 two channel preamp-20190508_090732.jpg   Cranborne Audio Introduces EC2 two channel preamp-20190508_090746.jpg   Cranborne Audio Introduces EC2 two channel preamp-20190508_090821.jpg  
Old 19th August 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by [/MENTION
!

Acoustic Guitar
This was the acoustic guitar example that I put together for the video/website. It's my Larrivée OM-40R (rosewood back and sides) mic'd using two AKG C451's - one pointing at the fretboard (around the neck join) and the other at the soundboard. I also like to position them in an 'equilateral triangle' with the soundhole to try and keep them equidistant from each other and the guitar. This is just something I've found that works well for me however it may not be for you of course! When I was playing and monitoring I was extremely surprised with how I felt Camden's linear phase response. The guitar has a really punchy mid range character that you can hear acoustically but it's never been properly captured - until I tried Camden. All of the strings just popped out instantly and the guitar felt alive especially under my fingers.

This video also has a subtle addition of Mojo. I applied thump to the mic on the soundboard, and Cream on the mic pointing at the fretboard. To me I noticed an extra extension to the guitar's high-end (thanks to Cream's THD) and less mid-range mud thanks to Thumps low end THD and Cream's midrange texture at work. Overall it just made the difference between a great acoustic guitar sound, and an acoustic guitar sound that sounded polished to my ears.
See what you think:

Ells
Owning Two Larrivee D40's series...a custom Rosewood and and Walnut, I for one are very impressed with your recording. Sounds like a 40 series...upfront in your face. Exactly what I have been looking for. A solid tracking sound where each note stands out.
You've got my attention and I am extremely interested. I will be sending some P.M. for more information on your product.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Any news on how things are progressing?

How probable is EC2 availability in october? I'm going to have to buy a preamp before november and it'd be helpful to know if there's a chance it could be available.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by occultron View Post

Any news on how things are progressing?

How probable is EC2 availability in october? I'm going to have to buy a preamp before november and it'd be helpful to know if there's a chance it could be available.
Hi occultron,

Unfortunately, EC2 is in the same place it has been - design complete but not yet in production. We had to clear the queue of 500R8 and 500ADAT production before we moved onto Camden EC2 and our other products. Unfortunately the delays to 500R8 and 500ADAT took us by surprise and we had to addres this first. But the good news is it's all good as 500R8 and 500ADAT are in production now and things are going pretty smoothly so we are just about to move onto Camden EC2, N22, and N22H!

The Camden EC2 design is complete but component lead-times and our PCB manufacturers' capacity and production schedule will mostly determine when EC2 will be available. I cannot give you a firm date yet as we have to get clarity on the above. We hope it to be before the end of the year but it's just a finger in the air until we are into production. We expect to have firm availability date and pricing announced at the AES show in NY in October. Unfortunately, November for production units is very unlikely.

Sorry for the delays on this all. But we will be coming to the end of the wait soon! Thanks guys!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search