The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Heritage Audio Announces the New SUCCESSOR Bus Compressor
Old 21st December 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Its Mork View Post
I am FINALLY holding it in my hands!
It feels very well build, so I hope there won’Tag be any need for support.

Holding it is nice but I think I will hook it up next...
If it sounds good holding it, you shouldn't need to hook it up. ;-)

For all that didn't see it, Heritage just released a 33609 clone for 1800 dollars.
Old 22nd December 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchlomo View Post
For all that didn't see it, Heritage just released a 33609 clone for 1800 dollars.
At first I was like „dang it!“ and dual mono is nice, but this is what I experienced so far with my Successor:

It´s a weapon on vocals (don’t tell anyone)! You‘ll get a huge vocal that’s locked into place, thanks to the fast action. The compression by itself can be pretty unobtrusive but you can also make it pump.

It’s a weapon on bass (don’t tell anyone)! Nasty, more nasty, less nasty. However you like it.

You can be pretty mean to a room. Let’s call it Nuke, no, more like Death Star. A squishy mass is all that’s left.

The sidechain is so awesome! I really dig the 3k bell, but also the lo cut(s) and 800 bell. Didn’t prefer the 5k lo cut as of yet, which makes me think I should get out of bed now and try some overheads.

The blend control converts it from being a sledgehammer into an incredibly flexible unit. I compressed the sum on 6:1, fast time constants (like there are any slow ones), 6-12 dB of reduction and blended it back in. More detail, more „inflation“, more hugeness... very cool!

Of course you can also do a classic 1.5:1, 20, 100 with 1-4 dB, but I didn’t reach that point yet

There’s more of a learning curve as I would have expected. Especially the fastest Attack can introduce nasty clicks, you have to be aware of that. But with a unit that has so much possibilities with sidechain and blend I think a bit of a learning curve is to be expected. You can at least get a gazillion different tones out of it
Old 22nd December 2019
Quote:
At first I was like „dang it!“ and dual mono is nice, but this is what I experienced so far with my Successor:

It´s a weapon on vocals (don’t tell anyone)! You‘ll get a huge vocal that’s locked into place, thanks to the fast action. The compression by itself can be pretty unobtrusive but you can also make it pump.

It’s a weapon on bass (don’t tell anyone)! Nasty, more nasty, less nasty. However you like it.

You can be pretty mean to a room. Let’s call it Nuke, no, more like Death Star. A squishy mass is all that’s left.

The sidechain is so awesome! I really dig the 3k bell, but also the lo cut(s) and 800 bell. Didn’t prefer the 5k lo cut as of yet, which makes me think I should get out of bed now and try some overheads.

The blend control converts it from being a sledgehammer into an incredibly flexible unit. I compressed the sum on 6:1, fast time constants (like there are any slow ones), 6-12 dB of reduction and blended it back in. More detail, more „inflation“, more hugeness... very cool!

Of course you can also do a classic 1.5:1, 20, 100 with 1-4 dB, but I didn’t reach that point yet

There’s more of a learning curve as I would have expected. Especially the fastest Attack can introduce nasty clicks, you have to be aware of that. But with a unit that has so much possibilities with sidechain and blend I think a bit of a learning curve is to be expected. You can at least get a gazillion different tones out of it
Sounds cool, thanx for sharing. Enjoy! :-)
Old 1st January 2020
Airwindows

I got mine a couple weeks ago, and haven't performed into it yet, but I've been messing with it on a lot of sources. Since I intend to use it on buss duties, I'm able to apply it after the fact on a bunch of music that's exactly what it would be seeing (only, captured to 2-track and played back through it as 2-track). So I'll be seeing results that are 'better' by one loop into the computer and back again, through Lavry Blacks. My description of what I'm getting is with the added ADC/DAC loop, and not mixing into it directly.

I'm using it in the master buss effects loop of a Heritage Audio MCM-20.4, that's driving a Lavry AD10 (which is being the master clock, and using 'clear' sound). I'm monitoring it through mix speakers (NS10s) but they're driven by Channel Islands monoblocs (D100s, class D audiophile). I'm fooling around with dub techno, so I'm using subwoofers: four 12" woofers comprise the subs, so I can hear extremely low frequencies good and loud. The main function of the rig is to mix a modular synthesizer system at modular signal levels.

My experience with the MCM-20.4 was, I think, characteristic: the audio is fantastic compared to the lesser mixers I'm used to, the sound is MUCH more 'old school primitive big-knob mixer' (possibly due to the two different mixer topologies being used side by side), and I encountered a problem which I fixed myself. It turned out one of the ribbon cables inside had worked loose in shipping and wasn't connecting well enough. Taking apart the unit and reseating the connectors fixed the problem. I have seen no switch problems, thank goodness. I think it's Heritage's choices biting them in the butt: if they were using frail pitiful little wires to run signals, the weight of the cables wouldn't be enough to knock the connectors loose. But they're using tons of big honking burly components throughout, I'm appreciating the sound, but I wouldn't call it road-worthy. I would recommend installing this mixer in a fixed location, or gluing all the internal parts together if you're going to put it in a road case and throw it around. There are reasons why they might not want to do this by default (it'd hurt maintainability a lot, and this is not a disposable product)

I looked inside the Successor and found no cables of that kind: I think it'll be more roadable for those who care. I've patched it into the MCM-20.4's master FX loop, as I said: this feeds it (and expects back) pretty hot levels. Seems to be able to do that easily (not surprising: this is presumably how it was designed, or at least is guaranteed to be how Heritage themselves use it)

I can confirm the extreme low end capabilities. I've got some content where I can't even run the 80hz sidechain setting, because my previous mix had so much infrasonic sound. It'd be worth more caution in mixing because the sound I can get with the 80hz sidechain is really good.

I'm favoring the 4/1 ratio, 2ms attack, 400ms release… 0.5ms attack for a more 'hyper-real' effect that feels exaggeratedly focussed, 100ms release if I want to get aggressive. I'm not that into the auto-releases but they seem to act like the fast release goes 100, 400, 400, 100 again when you use them (but with the slower automatic-gain-control aspect in there, which I'm not interested in using). I am not worried by switching the circuit around and spiking the sense circuit: I would rather the circuit be more raw and remember to use it mindfully, than have it running a bunch of extraneous circuitry to protect me from a situation I don't care about. I'm getting what I want out of the Successor.

One exception is, the audio I'm using (perhaps because it's exceptionally spiky modular synths?) doesn't lend itself to the fastest attacks. I start losing usefulness by the 0.2ms attack. If I go to the 50 microsecond speed, what I get isn't limiting (in the digital-plugin sense), it's a compressor that spikes to super-quiet on transients I can't even perceive. I put those transients in there on purpose, but it does restrict my options on this compressor (I think other recording situations might be better suited to those settings). It's the same on the 'limit' ratio option: nothing that I do on the 2-buss ever calls for a setting nearly that extreme, and I get my 'heavily limited' sound with threshold and lesser ratios/attacks, if I want it.

In total, the Successor feels like a sort of power tool meant for contractors and the experienced: it handles extremely hot levels gracefully without the tiniest strain, is capable of producing huge-sounding audio on par with the mixer I also chose for that quality (I don't feel I'm losing a thing on those grounds), and if I set it wrongly it will give me 'what I asked for' whether I want it or not.

On the 'but wait there's more' front, I'm doing two things with it which it makes possible. I've patched the aux 3/4 sends through to the sidechain inputs (leaving the sidechain outs from the Successor unconnected). In this way, I can set up a drastic 'sidechained house/trance kick' sound just pushing two buttons, which is real convenient (or indeed, run a whole separate mix into the sidechain for anything I'm not sending to aux 1/2). I feel that is so handy that it'll be of interest both to synthesists, and to anyone making DAW-based house music but wanting to get heavily into external summing. Within a fairly small rack you can have a gain/pan mixer for your multichannel DAC outs, and buss compression that you can easily turn into the sidechained-kick trick, while simultaneously running reverb or delay on your aux 1/2. You have to pick dry channels to sidechain, but I don't feel that's a great drawback.

Lastly, I'm finding the (detented pot) blend control very interesting. The use of it in conjunction with the threshold control means I've got two continuous controls (as in, no switches, pops, or clicks) where I can manipulate the overall texture of the mix as it's playing. I can press the mix down using threshold, and depending on the setting of the makeup gain, the blend control can either be 'punchy to focussed' or 'natural to expanded' sound. If I've got the dry and wet balanced pretty well, it means there's a really wide sweet spot where I'm effectively manipulating both ratio and compressedness at the same time (that being what you get when you dry/wet a compressor), but remapping it in such a way where the compressed sound is either bigger, or smaller than the dry, gives me essentially a new parameter. I can listen for sort of 'spacyness and expandedness' and adjust that, independently of loudness or the actual function of the compressor itself. It remains the same but I can fade its flavor in and out. Very nice.

For what I'm doing, I feel like this is working really well. I'd recommend this coupling of mixer and bus comp without reservation, provided that you know what to expect and are able to re-seat ribbon cables in a pinch. The compressor is probably as good for road duties: the mixer ought to stay in one place, I think.

Sonically, behavior-wise, this stuff is an aesthetic. It's got the 'primitive old gear with magic sonic qualities' niche nailed, except it's modern. I like the hell out of that, and I'll be following Heritage's work with great interest, as I've now got two units from them that turned out perfect for my tastes. In fact, I picked the mixer over a comparable Neve with a slightly different feature-set that didn't fit me as well, and I am not at all convinced that the Neve would've pleased me better, though it was more expensive. Same with this compressor. You can get different, or costlier, or better-behaved, but this one matches my needs and interests real closely.

If it all blows up in a week I'll come and give mea culpas, but I have seen inside both units and I doubt it. I understand the design compromises and choices in there, and I want it the way it is.
Old 1st January 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisj View Post
I start losing usefulness by the 0.2ms attack. If I go to the 50 microsecond speed, what I get isn't limiting (in the digital-plugin sense), it's a compressor that spikes to super-quiet on transients I can't even perceive.
I know exactly what you mean. I found that the fastest attack time can be useful on lower ratios. You can get some cool distortion out of it that you can then blend in to taste. But like you said, you have to get lucky that the source material doesn’t „spike“ the compressor excessively. It‘s in no way a safe peak limiter, but I don’t think it’s supposed to be.
Old 5th January 2020
Lives for gear

Anyone tried this for mastering? Too much color? I like the idea but the possible noise and lack of bypass makes me think it’s not nice enough for mastering.

Last edited by by-tor; 5th January 2020 at 03:24 AM..
Old 12th January 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by by-tor View Post
Anyone tried this for mastering? Too much color? I like the idea but the possible noise and lack of bypass makes me think it’s not nice enough for mastering.
There is a bypass and it seems to work as it should. The demonstrated "problem" by @ ionian was rather a user error, made before being fully familiar with the unit. It was addressed by Heritage Audio in a post that clearly explains what happens in that particular case.

For anyone worried by the bypass behavior of this unit, watch MixbusTV's review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMtiz7gNsc4 , where he switches the compressor in and out multiple times without any problems.

I think @ ionian needs to edit his post and re-address the situation, since his review might throw people off this unit for the wrong reasons.The behavior he demonstrated is good knowledge and definitely helpful for us who research the unit, but it's standard behavior of similar compressors, when you use 4sec release settings and large amount of compression.
Old 15th February 2020
New Successor owner here. Absolutely incredible character compressor! I don’t always track acoustic guitar with compression, particularly when recording singer-songwriter vocals simultaneously (bleed), but, trimming output into the Successor, leaving its dynamics engaged, threshold maxed (or otherwise zero compression save for just a minor meter bump on the most dynamic passages), and then driving the output transformers via makeup gain (+10) is absolutely magical...harmonic ear-gasm for days for this guy. Exactly the color I expected and was looking for. Pair it with the articulate and punchy strength (mids) of an API-style pre and it fills out the low-end (warning: some re-tightening may be required) and softens the high-end with finesse and in an incredibly musical way. Just my humble $0.02. Won’t even buy you a cup of coffee these days. “No Ragrets” here though! Clearly, as indicated by some in this thread, YMMV.

Last edited by Champagne Ivers; 15th February 2020 at 03:44 AM..
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Does anyone have a recall sheet for the Successor? I mailed Heritage, but I guess their office is closed these days.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Does anyone have a recall sheet for the Successor? I mailed Heritage, but I guess their office is closed these days.
Forget their phone office, they never answered any of my call long prior the virus.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Their offices are currently closed. Best bet would be to email them at [email protected]
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Thanks Seth,

just dropped them a line.
Old 1 week ago
Airwindows

Hope they are OK. Really like their work
Old 3 days ago
It's weird they don't have it on the product page while for the 609 they have:
https://heritageaudio.net/catalogue/ha-609a/
Old 3 days ago
Gear Nut

They just send me a drawing of the front plate, like in the ha609 sheet. I will gimp together an actual recall sheet like the one from the Distressor and share it here when I’m done. I guess that should be alright copyright-wise? Maybe I should ask them first, before I share it
Old 2 days ago
Gear Nut

...and here it is. Peter from Heritage gave me the permission to share, thanks for that. Inspired by what I found on the web, but should be usable for a "real" studio. I am my own Ass in my living room If you have any suggestions, please go ahead.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SuccessorRecallSheet.pdf (173.5 KB, 13 views)
Old 1 day ago
Quote:
...and here it is. Peter from Heritage gave me the permission to share, thanks for that. Inspired by what I found on the web, but should be usable for a "real" studio. I am my own Ass in my living room If you have any suggestions, please go ahead.
Looks cool!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search