The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Heritage Audio Announces the New SUCCESSOR Bus Compressor
Old 12th June 2019
Lives for gear

djkazzanova, Don't leave us in suspense... Does your unit have the same bypass issue that is being discussed?
Old 12th June 2019
Lives for gear

Sweetwater got back to me...I think they were waiting for word from Heritage but they never confirmed if the behavior I experienced was normal or not.

They did tell me to send it back, that of course the bypass behavior didn't seem right. They asked me if I wanted a refund or a replacement but I opted for the refund. Based on the disastrous reviews on their summing mixers, and then receiving the successor behaving like this, I felt that either the QC there is questionable and I didn't have confidence in the long term reliability of their stuff.

I had taken a chance because the bad reviews were only really about their summing mixers and the mk1 of their 500 series rack. I never hear any complaints about their 500 series stuff or preamps or anything so I figured maybe they just weren't good when it came to making things with mixers or that kind of topology. That's why I figured it should be ok to go for their other gear. But this wasn't a good first impression.

Either way, the unit itself is a cool unit, sounds great and has a cool vibe to it. Anyone who buys one, should get a lot of use out of it. Although I find it interesting that djkazzanova finds its best use will be parallel because that's where I found it limiting to use because of the coarse gain steps on the make up. It was hard to match the dry volume often. Parallel for this unit might be best on another pair of faders on a console or in a daw.
Old 13th June 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioGaff View Post
djkazzanova, Don't leave us in suspense... Does your unit have the same bypass issue that is being discussed?
Oh wow I just read Ionian's review after your post and I will check it out tomorrow. For level matching I use Studio One's Pipeline.
Old 13th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkazzanova View Post
For level matching I use Studio One's Pipeline.
ah, I forgot about that. Smart. You can level match AND do wet/dry mix in pipeline, bypassing the Successor's wet/dry mix capability altogether.
Old 13th June 2019
Just tested the unit and I think Ionian's unit is defective. Although I do get a similar behavior from my 2264jr when I hit the Link button.

Video here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/e93y8xa9xi...essor.mp4?dl=0
Old 14th June 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Freeland View Post
but was put off by terrible stories of wobbly plasticy knobs noise
I have the racked 1073 pair and it is solid for years. One of my favorite boxes. Great sound and not one tiny issue in the whole time. I haven't heard those rumors but people could go miles to diss...
Old 14th June 2019
Gear Maniac

Hi Ionian, thanks for taking the time to review our unit.
We haven´t been contacted by Sweetwater regarding your issue and we just became aware of your post, so sorry for the delay in replying.
By watching your video, it seems like you have your release setting at A2. As you know, A2 is a composite time with a fast response to peaks (50mS), and a very slow recovery after long high levels. We are talking about slightly over 4 seconds here to recover 20dB off reduction.
Any time you press / depress Dynamics IN, a DC transient happens, which is dealt with at the recovery time. This cannot be mitigated without affecting the attack/recovery times of the unit.
If you are adding a lot of compression, it may happen that the transient is dealt with at the long recovery time of A2 instead of the fast one. This is something you very rarerly would like to do, overcompress at 4 sec recovery.
Again, by watching your video, you could archieve the same compression results by setting your recovery at 50mS ( the fast setting of A2), and pressing DYN IN would not be noticeable.
The bottom line is that that behavior may happen, but in rare settings. 99% of the time you won´t set your unit to compress by a lot at a 4 second recovery time.
I´m not sure if you already returned your unit or not but, if you still have it, it would be great if you could post a video at 50mS recovery.
A great example can be shown here.
https://www.instagram.com/p/ByLDIbjH...d=4ds3iwzbsmzf
You can see the needle overshoot when pressing, but recovered fast.
Old 14th June 2019
Lives for gear

Hey Peter,

thanks for your clarification here.
I am highly interested in the Successor but would like to hear/see some demos first of different material.
Drums, Piano but also full tracks (2bus) preferably on electronic music.
Do you plan anything like that?
Old 14th June 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by midmost View Post
Hey Peter,

thanks for your clarification here.
I am highly interested in the Successor but would like to hear/see some demos first of different material.
Drums, Piano but also full tracks (2bus) preferably on electronic music.
Do you plan anything like that?
Sure, I´ll keep you posted
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heritage Audio View Post
Sure, I´ll keep you posted
I’m sold, I can’t wait to get one.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Any more audio examples? Com'on let's share it
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by idmmer417 View Post
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post

I bought mine at Sweetwater. I got in touch with my salesman, he put me in touch with tech support who in turn is reaching out to Heritage and I'm waiting to hear back from him so I don't even have an official word.

I'll be back once I get the official word from Heritage / Sweetwater, hopefully on Monday.
I wouldn't hold my breath. I'm over a year in waiting for HA support on issues with my monitor controller. Terrible CS, in my experience.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by idmmer417 View Post
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikocoolray View Post
I wouldn't hold my breath. I'm over a year in waiting for HA support on issues with my monitor controller. Terrible CS, in my experience.
this issue only affected a select few units in the first shipment. A firmware update has been available for this and we will gladly perform the update for anyone in the u.s. who has this issue. Please contact [email protected] to schedule an update.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by raddistribution View Post
this issue only affected a select few units in the first shipment. A firmware update has been available for this and we will gladly perform the update for anyone in the u.s. who has this issue. Please contact [email protected] to schedule an update.
I've been waiting since May of 2018, so let's do it!
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear
A Neve 2264 at a place I worked had the same issue with A2 and the click of the bypass switch causing compression. So I'd imagine the Heritage is fine. I want to check out the Successor for sure.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by raddistribution View Post
Still waiting. Sent an email. Crickets.

I stand by my earlier statement that customer service on my HA piece has been a real disappointment.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikocoolray View Post
Still waiting. Sent an email. Crickets.

I stand by my earlier statement that customer service on my HA piece has been a real disappointment.
we sent you an rma to send the unit in for an update. it will have to come to us as this cannot be done by a user since it requires proprietary tools and software. we just resent it to you so that it is at the top of your mailbox. thanks!
Old 1 week ago
So much time wasted on those searching for yet another cheaper clone/copy that doesn't deliver.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanRyder View Post
So much time wasted on those searching for yet another cheaper clone/copy that doesn't deliver.
You didn’t like it?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search