All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Heritage Audio Announces the New SUCCESSOR Bus Compressor
Old 3rd June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchlomo View Post
CLA was the last one I suspected to endorse this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeknkLZRcKk

Would have been great to hear the comp in action instead of him explaining it.

Lol I know but I tried not to watch it. The marketing for this thing started out bad and it's just getting worse.

Mine can't get here soon enough because the marketing is doing a bang up job of killing my enthusiasm.

Friggin' Sweetwater...I ordered it Friday before 3pm their time so I figured it'd go out that day but it didn't for some reason. It's going out today so technically I should have had it today instead of Wednesday.
Old 3rd June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
CLA was the last one I suspected to endorse this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeknkLZRcKk

Would have been great to hear the comp in action instead of him explaining it.
HA would be much better off with a video showcasing the various functions rather than have CLA list them. I can't—bar the name association—understand why a company would think that's what customers would find useful.

I'm quite put off by anything with a CLA association tbh. Lacks class. The product should speak for itself.
Old 4th June 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckdaddy View Post
CLA can’t just say ‘me’ or ‘I’, he has to refer to himself in third person as ‘CLA’, okay
So does the Dude. CLA abides ;-)
Old 4th June 2019
rsv
Gear Head

I have my successor on the way .does somebody try one already ? How does it sound ?
Old 4th June 2019
Gear Head

those specs sound nice, but this bad marketing stuff, ... sounds like they are selling a cheap plugin to unexperienced music enthusiast.

Quote:
Why would you settle with sterile VCAs in your mix or instrument bus duties now that the Successor is available?

Quote:
2nd order harmonic distortion characteristics and true vintage tone while eliminating nasty odd harmonic content

it makes me doubt if Heritage Audio is being serious with this comp
Old 4th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post
Lol I know but I tried not to watch it. The marketing for this thing started out bad and it's just getting worse.

Mine can't get here soon enough because the marketing is doing a bang up job of killing my enthusiasm.

Friggin' Sweetwater...I ordered it Friday before 3pm their time so I figured it'd go out that day but it didn't for some reason. It's going out today so technically I should have had it today instead of Wednesday.
I have to agree. This type of marketing makes me think that they know the product is not that great and, for this reason, they are desperately trying to sell as many as they can as soon as possible.
Old 4th June 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
So does the Dude. CLA abides ;-)
Or El CLAerino, if you aren't into the whole brevity thing.
Old 4th June 2019
rsv
Gear Head

This type of marketing doesn't mean that the compressor is gonna sound bad . I think we need to try it before to say something about the compresor . By the way in this era with great returns policy we can return it if doesn't sound good .
Old 4th June 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkazzanova View Post
Mine came in today but I didn't get a chance to take it on a test drive. I did however open up the units (check out the pics). I'll report back when I run some audio through it.
Okay. Let's focus on the actual audio quality of this compressor. What's the verdict?
Old 5th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I ordered one. Sweetwater says it'll be here on Wednesday or so. I have a Buzz DBC-M so I'll try them both out and give my thoughts.
Eager to hear your opinion.. especially in comparisson with the DBC.
I am torn between those two.. I prefer the metering on the DBC and the fact it utilizes discrete op-amps but the feature-set of the Sucessor wins hands down for me.
Old 5th June 2019
Gear Addict
Build quality?

So recently I was considering a HA 32 channel summing mixer but was put off by terrible stories of wobbly plasticy knobs noise and DOA units.

This looks like it has the same knobs.

Are they a company who are pretending to be high end audio but are actually not that great? Or does their stuff match up to the high end prices?

Anybody actually touch one yet?
Old 5th June 2019
Lives for gear
People in charge of marketing are almost certainly different people to the designers.
Old 5th June 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Freeland View Post
So recently I was considering a HA 32 channel summing mixer but was put off by terrible stories of wobbly plasticy knobs noise and DOA units.

This looks like it has the same knobs.

Are they a company who are pretending to be high end audio but are actually not that great? Or does their stuff match up to the high end prices?

Anybody actually touch one yet?
We have some Heritage Pres/EQs in the studio, build quality is solid, sound is great. Maybe you're referring to their Elite line which is cheaper and as we know, there are tradeoffs.
Old 6th June 2019
Lives for gear

Well, I've played with mine for the entire day and here's the good, the bad, and the ugly.

The good:

It's built nice. The knobs are stepped pots, not switches, although at this price point I wouldn't expect that. But they work well. The threshold and the wet/dry have tiny steps (similar to the Elysia Xpressor) but they line up good with the dots. One click on a dot, one click between the dot. Recall should be easy and accurate.

The sound is pretty colored. So this is a good thing if that's what you're looking for. I'm not 100% sure I'd use this on a masterbus because of the heavy color, but it doesn't mean it's bad. It's not an ugly color I guess is what I'm getting at. I don't think it'll work on everything, but it wasn't a color I disliked.

The attack and release and ratios have a decent range. The attack could be slower as it only goes to 20 ms, but still there's enough room to grab stuff and to not grab it so hard. The ratios worked well.

The sidechain selections were good - I liked being able to select 800k on voice and on drums to see how it'd smack things down. It really grabs stuff well and controls it but also it's very sensitive with the sidechain boosts so it's not just something you can select to see. You have to adjust the settings. I'm not sure how big the boosts are but they must be big for the comp to grab so much when engaged.

There's two auto settings and they work well. A1 is a slow-medium setting, A2 is a fast one. The manual it comes with doesn't clarify this but you can see it when you use it. It's a two stage release and A1 has a medium release for the first stage. A2 has a fast one for the first stage. It makes it easier to use auto release on a wide range of different material - A2 on percussion, for example and A1 on a slow bass part.

It has a switching line lump power supply. This didn't bother me - it's the same that came with my radial powerhouse 500 series racks and my minimoog reissue. Works fine and I like not having the power supply in the unit. If you're familiar with diode bridge topology*, there's a lot of potential for it to pick up all kinds of bad noise, so this works in keeping the circuit clean.

The bad:

The threshold and the wet/dry knobs have the most steps to recall but they don't have the same marconi chicken head knobs and they should. The other settings don't have a lot of settings and so it's easier to eyeball what they are. But the threshold and the wet/dry have a lot of steps and it'd be easier to have the line on the knob go to the edge of the knob to make it easier to see what it's pointing at.

The stepped makeup gain. Stepped make up gain is fine, but there's far too few steps and they're too coarse. It's an issue because if you're hitting the comp hard and compressing say 12 db (and why not? This is a colored compressor with a 50 microsecond attack, a limit ratio, and a wet / dry knob, so it's there to have fun and smash things with!) so more than once I didn't have enough makeup gain to compensate for what I was smashing.

The limited makeup gain is also a bigger problem when it comes to the wet / dry knob. You need to match the makeup gain with the dry volume to get a seamless wet / dry mix. The coarse steps and limited amount often resulted in me not being able to match the dry volume good enough and so the wet / dry mix sometimes worked and other times didn't work.

Now for the (very) ugly:

The dynamics in/out switch has a very peculiar behavior. When you put the comp in, it's like the gain reduction circuit gets overloaded for a second and just slams itself and then comes back down. With heavy material like drums or guitar, it was really bad, - it'd slam and hold for a second or two. With softer stuff like vocals it'd slam for like half a second and come down. Different setting on attack or release, or the sidechain would either exacerbate it or reduce it but it happened pretty much all the time, rendering the dynamics in/out absolutely useless for any A/B comparisons.

I've owned a crap ton of compressors from very high end to low end and I've never seen this kind of behavior in a bypass switch. I did find a minor workaround where if I wasn't using the wet / dry knob, I'd just set the knob to "dry" and then use the in / out for the wet / dry knob as a bypass switch. That worked fine. But if you're using the wet / dry function you can't do this.

If I bypassed the comp using the insert on / off in my DAW, then it worked fine. So clearly the issue has to be with how the bypass is designed or the switch. But I buy hardware so I don't have to look at a screen, so that's not a solution. The switch also turns on the power to the meter when you take it out of bypass so maybe this has something to do with it. It's almost as if the dynamics in / out is acting more like a power switch. But there's already a power switch so it's not.

Anyway, this was a real dealbreaker for me as I A/B constantly while I'm compressing so tomorrow it goes back. I did make a youtube video of what I'm talking about just so you can see it as it's hard to describe. I just used it on an acoustic guitar loop and changed some settings so you can see how the behavior changed. The audio is from the phone, but it doesn't need to be fancy for you to hear how the compressor slams going in and out of bypass.

Overall it was a fun compressor, not a bad one for the price, either. Solidly built, but the bypass thing is not acceptable to me.

Maybe CLA should have turned it on and ran some audio through it?

*Diode bridges, like FETs can't be used at full volume because they'll distort. So audio has to be gained down about 30db before it's sent through the diode bride then gained back up 30db when it comes out. So there's a lot of potential to pick up noise and have the noise gained back up with the signal. When you add 15 db of makeup gain on a diode bridge compressor, you're really adding 45 db. Careful circuit design and things like keeping the power supply out of the case helps reduce the potential for bad noise.
Old 6th June 2019
Lives for gear

Thanks for the review. Can't believe that bypass behaviour - surely it's faulty?
Old 6th June 2019
Gear Head

It on my wish list. I think Chris did a great job running through it. I believe he clicked with the Heritage guys at NAMM. I personally really dig Heritage gear.
Old 6th June 2019
Lives for gear

Thanks ionian for such an elaborate review. I hope that someone from Heritage Audio will chime in here.. really can't believe this bypass behaviour.
If your unit wasn't faulty and this is "normal" .. then it's a deal-breaker for me too!
Old 6th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Thanks for the review. Can't believe that bypass behaviour - surely it's faulty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by midmost View Post
Thanks ionian for such an elaborate review. I hope that someone from Heritage Audio will chime in here.. really can't believe this bypass behaviour.
If your unit wasn't faulty and this is "normal" .. then it's a deal-breaker for me too!
I'm not sure. I would agree that it would appear to be faulty behavior but you never know. I'll try reaching out to the heritage audio guys myself and see what they say.

There are other people in this thread that received this unit, right? Can anyone else confirm if their Successor behaves this way?
Old 6th June 2019
Thanx for taking the time, man. It just slipped further down on my wishlist. ;-)
Old 6th June 2019
rsv
Gear Head

I gonna get my successor Saturday or monday. I will let you guys know is that bypass behaviour is my compressor too .
Old 7th June 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
I'm not sure. I would agree that it would appear to be faulty behavior but you never know. I'll try reaching out to the heritage audio guys myself and see what they say.

There are other people in this thread that received this unit, right? Can anyone else confirm if their Successor behaves this way?
I agree it’s something that should be addressed by heritage, but I really don’t understand why someone would work backwards and compare their compressed mix to the dry mix anyway? After a time doing this you already predict the results of compressor duties?
Old 8th June 2019
Hi All - I have a Brand New Successor - In a Box - from Vintage King - their last one - Available on Reverb if interested. Cheers
Old 8th June 2019
JGM
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanRyder View Post
Hi All - I have a Brand New Successor - In a Box - from Vintage King - their last one - Available on Reverb if interested. Cheers
Why are you selling?
Old 8th June 2019
Need the money...Just bought a Vintage SSL...can’t afford to keep it all.
Old 8th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Lol not sure if this is even serious. You have it used, listed for $1695 with $45 shipping for a total of $1740. That's $196 more than a brand new one.

Meanwhile Alto Music has a new one listed for $1499 brand new with free shipping. There's another one for sale from Italy, brand new. That one WITH shipping from Italy is $1351.97.

I know you said you need money but these kinds of hustles don't work when people can check instantly if there's more available and for how much.
Old 8th June 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
U know people can buy a brand new one and cheaper at Sweetwater right?
Old 8th June 2019
Here were go...

Everyone knows how those sales work, if you don’t start high, with a offer option, you end up losing a ton of money. Everyone wants a deal, and wherever you start, people just watch an item for months until you drop, or people throw crazy lowball offers. So there you go...

Have to sell it for like 1700, just to get my money back with all the reverb fees, and paying 1500 shipping insurance. And competing with all the big companies they let in.

But hey GS is kinda the same, so...So rare to see a bad review anywhere anymore...Everywhere online, including here, has just become covert marketing. And covert marketing trolls.

If you want to deal with Alto / Pro Audio Star or getting a shipment from Italy...That’s cool...Just offering and option.

Wish I would have seen your review, I would have saved you a lot of time. Haha

Sending it back to Vintage King.

Peace.
Old 8th June 2019
JGM
Lives for gear

Quote:
Here were go...

Everyone knows how those sales work, if you don’t start high, with a offer option, you end up losing a ton of money. Everyone wants a deal, and wherever you start, people just watch an item for months until you drop, or people throw crazy lowball offers. So there you go...

Have to sell it for like 1700, just to get my money back with all the reverb fees, and paying 1500 shipping insurance. And competing with all the big companies they let in.

But hey GS is kinda the same, so...So rare to see a bad review anywhere anymore...Everywhere online, including here, has just become covert marketing. And covert marketing trolls.

If you want to deal with Alto / Pro Audio Star or getting a shipment from Italy...That’s cool...Just offering and option.

Wish I would have seen your review, I would have saved you a lot of time. Haha

Sending it back to Vintage King.

Peace.

Are you getting rid of the unit based on the ionian’s review on this thread?
Because I have to say that review spooked me as well, as I had ordered one months ago from VK right when they were 1st announced. I thought it was just the thing I was looking for to park on my music bus. But after reading the review and without even picking up the piece from my PO Box I immediately started thinking about what I’m going to replace it with. Anyways I wanted to hear it for myself, but thought I should have someone who I trust and has more experience evaluate the unit with me. So I took it to a friend’s studio yesterday. He has tons of great gear, and experience recording and mixing. We inserted it on a drum bus of this huge sounding rock track that he was working on, and put it up against a fantastic sounding G Bus Compressor Clone by Korneff Audio. While A/Bing the 2 units we were both surprised at how similar they actually sounded. What I perceived is that it brought out a little more heft in the subs of the low end, in a very pleasing way. It also rounded the transients of the highs just a smidge more, but also not in a bad way. I’m not one for extreme settings so I did not bother getting too in-depth looking into that. I was a little afraid that it would be too colored, but did not find it to be so at all.
Overall I was happy that I tried it for myself before deciding to send it back. My friend also encouraged me to keep it, and thought that it sounded pretty good. I also made sure to investigate the behavior ionian’s video displayed. I tried quite a few times using various settings, but could not recreate the particular behavior or anything even close. My unit appears to be functioning as expected so I do believe ionian has a defective unit. We spent a little under 2 hours evaluating the unit, and I will be holding onto it.
I advise anyone who has purchased one to try it for yourself.
I’m looking forward to hearing other reviews as well.
Old 9th June 2019
Lives for gear

I'd be the first one to say that I hope no one is not buying this based on my review! I may have gotten a faulty unit. I've even asked in the thread if anyone else has one to please confirm the behavior.

I bought mine at Sweetwater. I got in touch with my salesman, he put me in touch with tech support who in turn is reaching out to Heritage and I'm waiting to hear back from him so I don't even have an official word.

In my review, I did say that I liked the unit but if this unit is faulty, it's going back, and if it's not faulty, it's going back because I find this type of bypass behavior unacceptable. But everyone should demo the unit regardless if they're interested and make their own decision!

I'll be back once I get the official word from Heritage / Sweetwater, hopefully on Monday.
Old 12th June 2019
Hello Slutz here are some Audio examples I ran through the Successor. It does thicken sources up and adds a nice groove but obviously playing with the Wet/Dry knob to taste because at 100% wet it is very limited. So for me its main duty will be for Parallel Compression.
Attached Files

Vox Wet.wav (2.37 MB, 904 views)

Vox Dry.wav (2.37 MB, 899 views)

Wet.wav (1.89 MB, 902 views)

Dry.wav (1.89 MB, 881 views)

Guitar Wet.wav (727.5 KB, 904 views)

Guitar Dry.wav (727.5 KB, 860 views)

Drums Dry.wav (1.89 MB, 948 views)

Drums Wet.wav (1.89 MB, 983 views)

Last edited by djkazzanova; 13th June 2019 at 02:32 AM..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search