The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Heritage Audio Announces the New SUCCESSOR Bus Compressor
Old 18th February 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by raddistribution View Post
excels bringing 2nd order harmonic distortion characteristics and true vintage tone while eliminating nasty odd harmonic content.
Old 25th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by raddistribution View Post
absolutely
very nice!! what is the headroom?
Old 2nd March 2019
Gear Maniac

When this compressor will be available?
Old 2nd March 2019
Wow, surprisingly low for Heritage (NOT COMPLAINING!). May I ask if this is a part of/made in same factory as the Elite series?
Thx
Old 5th March 2019
JGM
Lives for gear

I am wondering how colored this box is going to be? And how that color will affect a mix if the box is placed in 2 Bus chain (final compressor)?
Old 5th March 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGM View Post
I am wondering how colored this box is going to be? And how that color will affect a mix if the box is placed in 2 Bus chain (final compressor)?
In my understanding it's all about adding color on the 2 bus.
Old 5th March 2019
Gear Maniac

I'm wondering if it's safe to assume that Warm Audio is going to follow HA's release of this unit with something very comparable? If this one is $1499, then Warm's might be $1299? Pure speculation. Warm has just released a couple new mics, but it's been a bit since they brought a compressor to the table. I was going to preorder, but I'll wait awhile...
Old 5th March 2019
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puget Sounds View Post
I'm wondering if it's safe to assume that Warm Audio is going to follow HA's release of this unit with something very comparable? If this one is $1499, then Warm's might be $1299? Pure speculation. Warm has just released a couple new mics, but it's been a bit since they brought a compressor to the table. I was going to preorder, but I'll wait awhile...
Certainly possible, but Heritage already had 2 diode bridge comps in their line up (the 500 series 2264Jr and 80 series 2264E) whereas Warm doesn't have that starting base. Not that it precludes Warm from doing it, just that it gives Heritage a head start in a way since they can take designs they already have and, I assume, reduce a lot of prototyping and such.
Old 6th March 2019
JGM
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchlomo View Post
In my understanding it's all about adding color on the 2 bus.
So I wonder if the Successor would be too much color if my mix is already going through a Silver Bullet and a few other Louder Than Liftoff Mr. Focus Modules?
I really want to pull the trigger on this box as it seems quite good on paper. But I need to know how colored it is.
Also looking at the Tegeler Creme and the much more affordable Audio-Scape GSSL as possible alternatives for getting the Successor.
Going to hold off until I at least hear a few reviews and maybe some video demos etc.
Old 6th March 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by chit View Post
Certainly possible, but Heritage already had 2 diode bridge comps in their line up (the 500 series 2264Jr and 80 series 2264E) whereas Warm doesn't have that starting base. Not that it precludes Warm from doing it, just that it gives Heritage a head start in a way since they can take designs they already have and, I assume, reduce a lot of prototyping and such.
Totally. Great point. I've got the HA 2264jr and it's pretty fantastic. They've certainly got that compression type nailed.

Off topic: I have to pinch myself every time I'm in the studio these days. I've got a ton of outboard pieces that I never thought I'd be able to afford. I used to lust after these pieces when I worked in the big studios in my area. I thought MAYBE I'd own an 1176 someday, now I've got 3 and 2 la-2a's. Nutty.
Old 6th March 2019
Quote:
So I wonder if the Successor would be too much color if my mix is already going through a Silver Bullet and a few other Louder Than Liftoff Mr. Focus Modules?
I really want to pull the trigger on this box as it seems quite good on paper. But I need to know how colored it is.
Also looking at the Tegeler Creme and the much more affordable Audio-Scape GSSL as possible alternatives for getting the Successor.
Going to hold off until I at least hear a few reviews and maybe some video demos etc.
I would expect it to add colour, and in that case be a box you’re better off mixing into rather than inserting after you’ve completed the mix.
Old 6th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Also looking at the Tegeler Creme
Same here, and the Tegeler magnetismus 2 also. Decisions, decisions...
Old 6th March 2019
JGM
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blayz2002 View Post
I would expect it to add colour, and in that case be a box you’re better off mixing into rather than inserting after you’ve completed the mix.
Indeed.
Old 7th March 2019
Lives for gear

I emailed Heritage a week ago off there website asking about whether the Successor could be used in other ways other than the 2 buss.

Havent heard back from them.

I definitely like what it does on the buss but would be interested to see if it would be good for tracking regardless of it being a stereo box.

Cheers
Old 7th March 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickknack View Post
I emailed Heritage a week ago off there website asking about whether the Successor could be used in other ways other than the 2 buss.

Havent heard back from them.

I definitely like what it does on the buss but would be interested to see if it would be good for tracking regardless of it being a stereo box.

Cheers
Why wouldn't it? Many people use stereo compressors for tracking. Either just one side with a mono source or for double tracking where same attack/ratio/release settings fit both sources.
Old 15th March 2019
Lives for gear

So does this have 3x Carnhill per channel?

Last edited by XAXAU; 15th March 2019 at 04:51 PM..
Old 20th March 2019
JGM
Lives for gear

I wonder if there’s any way to get a cleaner sound out of this thing? Want it bad, but need to know I can get more, or less color, as desired.
Old 6th April 2019
Lives for gear
Dead keen on trying this...bit of a thing for diode bridges.

Bit of a shame to see only 10dB of makeup gain but for the mix bus that’s golden. I do occasionally like, when treating single tracks or stems, using that 33609 output gain pot as a super-opinionated line amplifier though

Sure it will sound super in any event - nice one
Old 18th April 2019
Gear Maniac

Had anyone actually tried this out yet?
Old 18th April 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singlecutz View Post
Had anyone actually tried this out yet?
They're not shipping yet, I think.
Old 30th May 2019
Here for the gear
Looks like these are now available in the US (Sweetwater has them). Looking forward to some reviews, particularly as compared to the Neve 535 and the Buzz Audio diode bridge comps
Old 30th May 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefoursix View Post
Looks like these are now available in the US (Sweetwater has them). Looking forward to some reviews, particularly as compared to the Neve 535 and the Buzz Audio diode bridge comps
Started shipping this week!
Old 1st June 2019
Mine came in today but I didn't get a chance to take it on a test drive. I did however open up the units (check out the pics). I'll report back when I run some audio through it.
Attached Thumbnails
Heritage Audio Announces the New SUCCESSOR Bus Compressor-20190531_160347.jpg   Heritage Audio Announces the New SUCCESSOR Bus Compressor-20190531_161557.jpg  
Old 1st June 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkazzanova View Post
Mine came in today but I didn't get a chance to take it on a test drive. I did however open up the units (check out the pics). I'll report back when I run some audio through it.
Wow!! Please do! Can't wait to hear some audio example
Old 1st June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehightenor View Post
Why do companies feel the need to do this, it just puts me off their new product big time.

A VCA bus compressor (which I often use) is great for creating an exciting and precisely controllable envelope that also glues elements together when one already has enough "warmth" in the mix and a mix simply doesn't need any more hair on it.

I'm sure this new DB bridge bus comp is absolutely fab, but let it stand on it's own merit without feeling the need to trump one of the other "industry standard" Ace cards a player can hold in their hand.
Totally agree. I think marketing people forget they're trying to sell to people who know what they're doing and this kind of stuff just comes off like the company doesn't know better, or they're trying to sell to the guitar center crowd. Either way, it makes me feel like the company is talking down to me.

The promo video for this is even more cringe-inducing spewing such tripe like, "The successor is the missing link between your seperate tracks and a professional, full and round sounding hit". Yeah, that's pretty much like every bus compressor, ever.

Nonetheless, I actually sprung for one because the price is right if it can actually do what it claims to do and sound good while doing it. I try not to let really bad marketing ruin a potentially good product. Heritage just needs to get a better marketing person.

For the record, they're not the only 'pro audio' company to do this. Dangerous Music is also notoriously cheesy in its ability to sound like a guitar center product with their marketing. I think the most cringe-inducing, cheesiest thing I've ever seen in association with a professional level product was in the Dangerous Compressor literature where it said, "Auto Attack/Release: replace "guess" with "yes" for rapid-fire results". Wow.

The difference is that I sprung for this because $1500 is like my cutoff where I'll let a company talk down to me and I'll still take a chance on their product. Dangerous Music stuff is too expensive for them to say, "Replace 'Guess with yes'" and expect me to pay $2800 after talking to me like I'm a moron who has no idea how to set attack and release times.
Old 1st June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefoursix View Post
I ordered one. Sweetwater says it'll be here on Wednesday or so. I have a Buzz DBC-M so I'll try them both out and give my thoughts.

But right off the bat they're two different products trying to do two different things so I don't expect them to really sound too similar aside from the fact that they're both diode bridge comps.
Old 1st June 2019
Gear Addict

Looking forward to you reporting back on its sound and behaviour!
Old 2nd June 2019
Gear Maniac

Interested in this unit, thanks guys in advance for anymore info you can provide!
Old 3rd June 2019
CLA was the last one I suspected to endorse this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeknkLZRcKk

Would have been great to hear the comp in action instead of him explaining it.
Old 3rd June 2019
Lives for gear

CLA can’t just say ‘me’ or ‘I’, he has to refer to himself in third person as ‘CLA’, okay
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search