Stam Audio SA-609 (33609 replica) - Page 7 - Gearslutz
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Stam Audio SA-609 (33609 replica)
Old 16th September 2020
Gear Addict

Hey there folks, I feel compelled to chime in here regarding Stam Audio and share my experience... this post is in no way meant to invalidate what others have experienced or perceived to be problematic, just my (very short) story. Replying to this thread because it seems to be the most recent one being viewed...

I pre-ordered, with deposit, a Stam audio unit that was, like many others, delayed in production, and well before Covid-19. When my unit became available after over a year wait (about six months behind schedule), Josh let me know, and the timing to purchase was not ideal. Communication with Josh and crew was great, and Josh said it would be OK to hold off on purchasing the unit until I was ready, and he would still honor the original intro price, which he also re-confirmed. After Covid hit, I decided it was not the right time for me to purchase at all, I reached out to Josh, who promptly (in a matter of minutes) refunded my deposit, no questions or hassles at all.

I think everyone goes into this, based on valuable info from members here at gearslutz, knowing that builds will likely be delayed and delivered later than promised. There perhaps could be some better methods of communication of clarity up front about that on the Stam web site itself, but I thought it important to know that if you reach out to Josh and crew, they have always responded promptly in my experience (within a day or so given time-zones) even during the pandemic, and in my case closed/refunded the deal promptly and as requested. I have no horse in this race (anymore) nor any opinion on viable business practices, but I never felt there was anything misleading or otherwise about the transaction. By most accounts, it seems the gear is always worth the wait, I do hope I get to try it someday. As you were!

Last edited by embrionic; 17th September 2020 at 01:28 AM..
Old 18th October 2020 | Show parent
Apparently these are shipping?
Old 18th October 2020
Yes, shipping
But very slow process to make each by hand
We will update all clients via email this coming week with the new (accurate) dates since lockdown has been lifted.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Here for the gear
Just got mine about a week ago. Very high quality and great sounding take on the 33609. Very, very well stereo/dual-mono calibrated too. A thing I noticed is that it starts compressing sooner than the AMS in the studio. Tested it directly to a lynx hilo.

It imparts a not at all subtle color to the mix and even when it's great on a lot of instruments, I'm mostly loving in on kick drums and toms. Besides the distinctive type of compression, it adds some low mids tone without being muddy and that subtle top end "tch" that makes transients be very pleasing to the ear.

I think I'm very impressed because I never tried a vintage 33609 myself, but this one sounds richer and clearly more expensive than the AMS in the studio.
📝 Reply