The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
McDSP Announces 6060 Ultimate Module Collection
Old 4th February 2019
  #31
osk
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antigua View Post
We shouldn’t be surprised.. when they discontinued cb4 and replaced it with the 6030 it was the same thing.
Ford don’t really care about my 2002 focus when I want to by the latest model. Same thing I guess.
Do you think the cb4 looks and sounds like the 6030? I think the 6050 is very close to the 6060, if you can not see why we are asking for an upgrade you are either blind or work for McDSP.
Also the old method of comparing cars with software doesn't even compute really..
Old 4th February 2019
  #32
Quote:
Originally Posted by osk View Post
Do you think the cb4 looks and sounds like the 6030? I think the 6050 is very close to the 6060, if you can not see why we are asking for an upgrade you are either blind or work for McDSP.
Also the old method of comparing cars with software doesn't even compute really..
My point was the CB4 was the “modeling” comp at the time and it was replaced by 6030.
I don’t work for McDSP, I just think we’ve all become too demanding in the software age.
Can you tell me why the car analogy doesn’t compute? The build a new car, Colin builds new algorithms. Are you saying his time isn’t worth as much?
Not looking for a fight, it’s just my opinion. I’d love an upgrade path too, but I don’t think I’m entitled to one.

Last edited by Antigua; 4th February 2019 at 11:24 PM.. Reason: Missed a word
Old 6th February 2019
  #33
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antigua View Post
My point was the CB4 was the “modeling” comp at the time and it was replaced by 6030.
I don’t work for McDSP, I just think we’ve all become too demanding in the software age.
Can you tell me why the car analogy doesn’t compute? The build a new car, Colin builds new algorithms. Are you saying his time isn’t worth as much?
Not looking for a fight, it’s just my opinion. I’d love an upgrade path too, but I don’t think I’m entitled to one.
I don’t think designing, engineering, and manufacturing thousands of physical automobiles (much less, shipping and selling) compares to adding a few new modules to a software package
and compiling new code. Not at all . Where is our upgrade path!? Yes, we are demanding end users in a relationship with the software.
Old 6th February 2019
  #34
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenroom View Post
I don’t think designing, engineering, and manufacturing thousands of physical automobiles (much less, shipping and selling) compares to adding a few new modules to a software package
and compiling new code. Not at all . Where is our upgrade path!? Yes, we are demanding end users in a relationship with the software.
Obviously it’s not on the same scale. But, it’s still someone’s time, intellectual property and hard work. A lot of the comments here are starting to sound like petulant children. New product, new price. The whole world works like this. Stuff just isn’t free.

My original point was, at least they haven’t discontinued the 6030 like they discontinued the CB4 when 6030 was released, which I was annoyed about at the time. But I wanted to use the 6030, so I purchased it.
Let’s honor the time and effort these people put into making great tools for us to use (yes, their time is worth something), by paying what things are worth and stop demanding freebies and special prices.

If the cost is hard to meet, why not subscribe instead? It’s much more manageable monthly than to shell out for a single plug up front. With this option, it’s hard to see any plugin price complaints as valid.
Old 6th February 2019
  #35
Gear Head
 

I don’t believe anyone is asking for handouts or freebies... just as an owner of many of their plugs, a simple upgrade path ($) for a product that contains most of the same modules you already own. We all appreciate the care and time, but this purchase makes no sense for a lot of current owners of 6050, 6034, etc.
Old 7th February 2019
  #36
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenroom View Post
I don’t believe anyone is asking for handouts or freebies... just as an owner of many of their plugs, a simple upgrade path ($) for a product that contains most of the same modules you already own. We all appreciate the care and time, but this purchase makes no sense for a lot of current owners of 6050, 6034, etc.
+1000

6050 prompted me to buy more of their plugins (four more, IIRS) but the asking UPGRADE price to 6060 is simply ridicules (sorry).
discerning plugins and algo's nowadays (from ALL developers) becomes increasingly and exceedingly harder and IMO the "new algo's" (as I was told my McDSP's marketing via mail) just doesn't cut it.
at 99$ I would've CONSIDER (not because I don't trust the quality - I DO, I REALLY DO - but because my abandonware list of plugins and plugin-suites - is getting alarmingly and frighteningly large. one cannot use ALL his tools ALL of the time).

I'll wait, for the time being.
Old 11th February 2019
  #37
Gear Head
 
morelia's Avatar
Maybe I'm not thinking clearly, but as a 6050 licensee, I find the lack of an upgrade to be about as satisfactory as taking a stroll in my new, ultra cool runners, only to step in a steaming pile of Great Dane poop.
Old 14th February 2019
  #38
Lives for gear
 
clonewar's Avatar
 

I've been using the demo for the last couple of days and am really liking this. I don't own any McDSP plugins yet, so all of the modules are new to me and there's lots to explore. Love the parallel paths too, great idea for a channel strip.

And bonus, in Win 10 it has multi-touch support for touchscreens. Really fast workflow on my big touchscreen!
Old 2nd March 2019
  #39
Gear Addict
 

I have mixed emotions for this. I used to love mcdsp back in my pro tools days.
But honestly, this looks like the same old modules re packaged. Is that what it is? I mean, plugins have come a long way since then.

Might demo anyway, but i am trying not to waste so much time demoing things i wont end up buying.

i cant believe there is no upgrade path for existing customers. That's terrible business practise. Really bad.

The analog thing has stolen the thunder. It does look cool, but they havent mentioned whats in it. People forget that analog isn't inherently good. It actually has to BE good.
I.e, those tube models probably arent going to have actual tubes in.
Still i like the idea. Will be interested in one if they get it right.
Old 19th May 2019
  #40
Gear Head
 
colonelporridge's Avatar
 

This is annoying to me for one reason. I own the 6050 channelstrip, vst windows. The drop down menus do not work properly, the vst3 version has random gain spikes while turning up certain modules to well over 12db, and of course no side chain functionality. All this was confirmed by McDsp and i was told it would be a while before any of these issues were fixed. That was a year ago. Does anyone have any more info on this?
Old 5th August 2019
  #41
Gear Addict
 
hodshonf's Avatar
i have Channel G Native.

i really like it and would like to grab a few more.

6060 looks good.
Old 29th August 2019
  #42
Gear Maniac
 

If you are a 6050 owner its 99$ now.
Old 29th August 2019
  #43
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojhmusic View Post
If you are a 6050 owner its 99$ now.
Very tempting, if any 3rd party sellers discount it further, my GAS would win.
Old 1st September 2019
  #44
Here for the gear
 

Tempting with the upgrade price, but I don't really need it.

Since most of the thread was a function of its original price, what are the opinions on it as a piece of software? There's basically no reviews online, so it's hard to get a gauge on it.
Old 1st September 2019
  #45
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgod View Post
Tempting with the upgrade price, but I don't really need it.

Since most of the thread was a function of its original price, what are the opinions on it as a piece of software? There's basically no reviews online, so it's hard to get a gauge on it.
I think it's a killer plugin! I've been using the compressors in the 6030 forever now, and the addition of the feedback/feedforward switch on some of them is very cool! The S671 saturation is fantastic. The Neve EQ seriously has the smoothest top end of just about any EQ I've heard. And the fact that you can have 2 parallel chains inside one plugin is seriously cool to me.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #46
Gear Maniac
 

This lack of upgrade path from the outset is kind of a disincentive for the future. Would you be able to sell the licence for say the 6050 or earlier and buy the 6060 new or would they "convert" your licence? I have no experience with McDSP. I mean to use the car argument highlighted earlier in this thread, which is tenuous at best, you should at least get second hand value back from that.
Old 1 week ago
  #47
Yo, this plugin is incredibly slept on. I just demo'd and immediately bought it. IMO the workflow of picking lunchbox style modules to build your own channel strips per channel is a major improvement over loading a bunch of different plugins, or the same all-in-one channel strip everywhere. Also, you get a ridiculous number of modules for the money, it works out to like $6 a module or something. Also, the modules sound amazing. Also, it uses almost zero CPU. Also, the UI is fantastic. Also, the ability to parallel process two different combinations of modules in the same plugin instance is amazingly useful and easy and opens up some new creative options. WTF. This plugin is not being discussed in any corner of the internet. Yo no comprendo. It may be the best plugin to come out in 2019.

Also, this dude is hilarious:

Old 11 hours ago
  #48
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by colonelporridge View Post
This is annoying to me for one reason. I own the 6050 channelstrip, vst windows. The drop down menus do not work properly, the vst3 version has random gain spikes while turning up certain modules to well over 12db, and of course no side chain functionality. All this was confirmed by McDsp and i was told it would be a while before any of these issues were fixed. That was a year ago. Does anyone have any more info on this?
Did they eventually fix the Windows bugs?

McDSP used to be a Mac only developer at one point.
Old 8 hours ago
  #49
Gear Head
 
colonelporridge's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend View Post
Did they eventually fix the Windows bugs?

McDSP used to be a Mac only developer at one point.
I checked if the bugs with the windows 6050 had been fixed shortly after the 6060 was released and it was not, which is a bit mean. Unless the 6060 has the same problems that is . I get the impression that they were very very busy with their new hardware release.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump