The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Fuse Audio Labs releases the VCL-864U Vintage Tube Limiter/Compressor
Old 27th May 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelieR View Post
How do you set it up for chocolatey hug to your reverb sends ?

I never felt the need to compress reverb sends except for special needs (heavy compression / saturation to bring it up).

I mean wouldn’t you just put it on your send after the verb?
Old 27th May 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
Yeah, basically. Friendly, chocolatey, compacting density hug.
Chocolate hug confirmed on plates and chambers, thanks for the idea! Throw a de-esser or dynamic eq in front of the reverb too for an even friendlier experience.

I also tried it on my background bus (I route any distant stuff here) with StageOne adding some dark depth and high-passed width enhancement. Nice pairing. That's going to stay in my template.

Tempted to pick up Ray's filter set for some high and low roll off to complete the package...
Old 27th May 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
How do you set it up for chocolatey hug to your reverb sends ?

I never felt the need to compress reverb sends except for special needs (heavy compression / saturation to bring it up).
Return, as in usually after the reverb. And completely by feel. Likely low-ish ratio, low threshold, just puffing the space up and holding its tails up so the fader can be set deeper into the mix without it getting lost. Quite often like a touch of compression on reverb, not always, depends. Literally a feel decision depending on how things need to speak.

I view sends such as reverb as a 'come into existence based on one specific source' type thing. So then the return gets tweaked to work with THAT source as much as poss, including eq, etc, whatever. Later other things get fed there too, as things start to crosspollenate, but comes into being as part of one specific sound. So in that sense, what the return is getting done to it, including if/any compression, is all dependant on how THAT source needs to speak in the mix.
Old 27th May 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by motomotomoto View Post
I mean wouldn’t you just put it on your send after the verb?
I never thought about putting this one.
I either put a saturator or an extreme compressor like Devil Loc. Or corrective stuff like dynamic eq-de-essers when needed.
Old 27th May 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Return, as in usually after the reverb. And completely by feel. Likely low-ish ratio, low threshold, just puffing the space up and holding its tails up so the fader can be set deeper into the mix without it getting lost. Quite often like a touch of compression on reverb, not always, depends. Literally a feel decision depending on how things need to speak.

I view sends such as reverb as a 'come into existence based on one specific source' type thing. So then the return gets tweaked to work with THAT source as much as poss, including eq, etc, whatever. Later other things get fed there too, as things start to crosspollenate, but comes into being as part of one specific sound. So in that sense, what the return is getting done to it, including if/any compression, is all dependant on how THAT source needs to speak in the mix.
Very interesting, thanks for sharing your mindset. I will give a try to see .
Old 27th May 2019
Gear Guru

My process of building a mix, fx wise is basically:

1. a source says give me a space
2. set up a send from said source and on the return channel build a relevant space with whatever tools necessary, reverb, delay, compression, eq, anything. Make a space
3. say it was a vocal, now that space on that send is e.g. 'Vox verb1'
4. after making that space to best help the vocal, it doesn't get touched anymore/altered
5. later in the mix less fresh sends are built this way and instead it starts becoming more about 'maybe try a little of the vocal reverb on the strings, maybe try a little of the guitar delay on the keyboard' type of cross pollination.
6. the places things end up in in the mix are then usually out of a combination of little amounts of something going to different sends
6. never forget to at some point send a tiny bit of the different fx returns into each other, to make the back of the mix become a magical mess that speaks to itself.
Old 27th May 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
My process of building a mix, fx wise is basically:

1. a source says give me a space
2. set up a send from said source and on the return channel build a relevant space with whatever tools necessary, reverb, delay, compression, eq, anything. Make a space
3. say it was a vocal, now that space on that send is e.g. 'Vox verb1'
4. after making that space to best help the vocal, it doesn't get touched anymore/altered
5. later in the mix less fresh sends are built this way and instead it starts becoming more about 'maybe try a little of the vocal reverb on the strings, maybe try a little of the guitar delay on the keyboard' type of cross pollination.
6. the places things end up in in the mix are then usually out of a combination of little amounts of something going to different sends
6. never forget to at some point send a tiny bit of the different fx returns into each other, to make the back of the mix become a magical mess that speaks to itself.
I usually sends my delays to some reverbs indeed, more for pop stuff that are after that type of effect because it can quickly become a bit messy. And clarity is the deal nowadays (I mean everytime someone comes to me they ask for it, except indie bands).

I tried the VCL-864U on a reverb plate (vocal). It worked, I don't know if it would have not worked the same without it tho, it's subtleties on subtleties hahaha.
Old 27th May 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
I tried the VCL-864U on a reverb plate (vocal). It worked, I don't know if it would have not worked the same without it tho, it's subtleties on subtleties hahaha.
You didn't a-b and decide whether you liked it better on?
Old 27th May 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
You didn't a-b and decide whether you liked it better on?
I did. But it's darn subtle. And reverb "move" a lot. So you have to loop the section to be sure you're not having your mind tricked (also level matching carefully).
It's nice. Although I think at that point of subtleties, any compressor could do an equal job.
But I can be mistaken of course.
Old 27th May 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
I did. But it's darn subtle. And reverb "move" a lot. So you have to loop the section to be sure you're not having your mind tricked (also level matching carefully).
It's nice. Although I think at that point of subtleties, any compressor could do an equal job.
Sure, I just like the box tone on verb is all.
Old 27th May 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Sure, I just like the box tone on verb is all.
I can understand that ! It's a nice color !
Old 27th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Whether you use rea comp on FX auxes or rcomp or 864 we are talking about very very small percentages. I would choose to put my creative equity toward things that could make a bigger sonic difference. It’s a bit in the weeds.
Old 28th May 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Nicely put
Old 28th May 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaydees View Post
Whether you use rea comp on FX auxes or rcomp or 864 we are talking about very very small percentages. I would choose to put my creative equity toward things that could make a bigger sonic difference. It’s a bit in the weeds.
It all adds up. If you are using quite the amount of the fx return to build and place that sound you're feeding it from (which often happens with a heavily eq'd fx return space) , and that sound is a central part of the music, it becomes a little important what that space of a return feels like. Doesn't mean you are there, swapping out compressors for hours, it is just having an idea of what kind of space/feeling you want to build, and grabbing tools that you think likely will get you there, and only try others if they don't. If they do, move on, right?
Old 29th May 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Elgin View Post
Tempted to pick up Ray's filter set for some high and low roll off to complete the package...
...and I just did.

I tried inserting just the pass filters on a bunch of layered stereo synth pads which really efficiently sorted them - for even more separation I slammed one into the 25a for parallel drive and stability, letting it sit lower in the mix without disappearing, and another went through the new VPRE for some harmonic interest and height.

I added VQA-154 in M/S mode on the widest and warmest of them. A bit of drive and 350 boost on the S channel gave a lush width enhancement, then I automated the S output gain to add a slow image expansion that collapsed back to near mono at a transition point.

They all went to the background bus with both passive filter plugins - 250 HP and 10k LP with 2 clicks of 100Hz boost to bring warmth back and a click of 5k attenuation. That combined with StageOne for space followed by a gentle 864U touch for tone and compacting worked really well.
Old 7th July 2019
Lives for gear

Mr. Greg Wells thoughts on the compressor that is emulated with this plugin:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Wells View Post
by the powers vested in me by absolutely nobody, i insist you pack up your federal compressor and ship it to me immediately.

please?

i love mine on just about everything. enjoy.

Source: Just got a Federal Limiter AM- 864/U !!!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Randomly came across this video:

Old 4 weeks ago
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Wink

Have you guys checked our FREE V2 update?

Go to https://fuseaudiolabs.com and enjoy
  • our completely redesigned webpage
  • re-worked GUIs
  • sound examples
  • macOS Catalina (10.15) support
  • our FREE RS-W2395C Plugin
  • convenient user accounts / license management

All our VCL dynamic processors are 66% off until the end of November 2019. Just use the following voucher at checkout: LDY9-F2GL-NBF1
  • VCL-864U Vintage Tube Limiter only $23.40 ($69 regular)
  • VCL-25A Vintage Vari-Mu Leveler only $23.40 ($69 regular)
  • VCL-373 Vintage Compressor/Limiter only $20 ($59 regular)
  • VCL-4 Vintage Opto Leveler only $20 ($59 regular)
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search