The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Fuse Audio Labs releases the VCL-864U Vintage Tube Limiter/Compressor
Old 5th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelieR View Post
Just recently get VCL-4 on a trade.
Holy vache I am impressed by it's punch.
On parallel snare it really rules !
It could also work on parallel drums although gotta be careful as the low-end seems to fart a bit (a HPF in the sidechain could be a nice addition IMHO).

Still haven't found any uses where the 864 rules them all on the other hand.
The VCL-4 is one of the best opto style compressor plugins ever in my book
Old 5th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM Grabber View Post
The VCL-4 is one of the best opto style compressor plugins ever in my book
Agree, I wasn't expecting this.
As the real LA4A it has strong colour that doesn't work on everything but when it does it's amazing.
Old 6th February 2019
Gear Maniac

I'll be putting up for sale a pair of LA4. Send me an inbox if interested. Thanks
Old 12th February 2019
Gear Maniac

Freebie freebie freebie!
Old 12th February 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by man in the house View Post
Freebie freebie freebie!
Here's a freebie for ya': mirror cop emoticon!
Old 12th February 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrik Hjortnaes View Post
Here's a freebie for ya': mirror cop emoticon!
LOL!

Play nice officers. Please keep the violence down.
Old 12th February 2019
Gear Addict

Old 12th February 2019
Gear Maniac

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by man in the house View Post
Freebie freebie freebie!
Up next we have.....*buzz-roll flam* a freebie.
Give it a little time, though.
Old 12th February 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelieR View Post
Just came back from trying it against MJUC.
On male vocal. Mixbus. Bass. Drum crush (room/kick/snare).
I prefer MJUC.
MJUC (mkIII with iStage and Density one) seems to have more density overall on the mixbus and vocal, as on bass too.

On Drum crush (MJUC MKIII and MKII high ratio and VCL Limiting mode) MJUC have a way stronger sound ! Really compressed and full of punch.
This one seems it is never reaching that stage of crazy slammed compressor in my test.
Seems more suited for subtle compression or subtly saturated compression, even though in those scenario for now, for me, it does work but not shines.
Maybe need more testing but I am quite underwhelmed for now ^^ (I am not saying it is bad tho, but I always get a bit too excited reading the amazing feedbacks here).
After testing for a while on drums, particularly kick, I must agree. I preferred MJUC to this new plugin in all cases, no matter how much I fiddled with the knobs. It was your review that tempted me to try it, seeing as developers have a pretty tall order trying to beat MJUC in the sheer wall of low end it gives you on things like kick drum and toms. And I'm talking about live drums, not samples.

I did have some luck with putting this on drum buss though, seems clear and transparent, but not what I am after. I prefer attitude and coloration on my stuff, and MJUC gives us that in spades, particularly on low end and lower midrange beef- and the ability to dial in as much or little of it as you want... I cannot justify the purchase myself, for what I am after (more of a vintage, 80's beef to drum sounds). But it's still a good plugin, and seems it will be useful to many. Nice job fuseaudiolabs, despite the fact that I just really don't need it (but that's just me).
Old 12th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studioman22 View Post
After testing for a while on drums, particularly kick, I must agree. I preferred MJUC to this new plugin in all cases, no matter how much I fiddled with the knobs. It was your review that tempted me to try it, seeing as developers have a pretty tall order trying to beat MJUC in the sheer wall of low end it gives you on things like kick drum and toms. And I'm talking about live drums, not samples.

I did have some luck with putting this on drum buss though, seems clear and transparent, but not what I am after. I prefer attitude and coloration on my stuff, and MJUC gives us that in spades, particularly on low end and lower midrange beef- and the ability to dial in as much or little of it as you want... I cannot justify the purchase myself, for what I am after (more of a vintage, 80's beef to drum sounds). But it's still a good plugin, and seems it will be useful to many. Nice job fuseaudiolabs, despite the fact that I just really don't need it (but that's just me).
I feel exactly the same. I own a few Fuse plugins and love them but in the end passed on this one because of MJUC, which is hard to beat.
Old 12th February 2019
Gear Maniac

Smile

Old 12th February 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAudioBot View Post
I feel exactly the same. I own a few Fuse plugins and love them but in the end passed on this one because of MJUC, which is hard to beat.
Well nonetheless, it is important that users discern for themselves whether a particular tool finds a spot of usefulness in their audio toolbox, rather than jump headlong onto a new bandwagon blindly. People really need to assemble their own toolbox for what they are doing. And this tool will work nicely for many, no question of that. I am not belittling fuseaudiolabs's effort here whatsoever. It is good, and very good pricewise. In my case with MJUC and an investment in DMG Limitless, as well as many others, really wish I could justify it. These days are extremely competitive in this plugin world.

Make us a plugin that truly captures an analog audio chain, not 50%, and ye shall be rich. Fractal Audio has come the closest from what I can tell. I held out for the longest time, but I finally caved in with Fractal. It is finally close enough with emulating a captured amp/distortion sound.

Now make me one called the "Analog Audio Deceiver"- which when applied to a two track ITB mix, magically restores the depth and warmth. Warmth, yer getting closer, but depth, we still got nuttin. And good luck with that... Hehe.

Last edited by studioman22; 12th February 2019 at 07:37 PM..
Old 12th February 2019
Here for the gear
I bought this specifically for the saturation I can get from it by driving the input. Compression-wise I haven't played with it enough in a real project to know if it will be better or different enough from my other options (I suspect it will), but I'm very happy with the results I'm getting so far.
Old 12th February 2019
Lives for gear

London Acoustics are making something which emulates the essential qualities of high grade analog gear for Nebula. I'm looking forward to seeing what that brings.
Old 13th February 2019
Gear Maniac

IMO it’s a bit off to keep trying to chase the analog holy grail, let’s call these compressors what they are, colorful digital compressors. They can be great for what they are, without constantly comparing to the analog equivalent. Sort of like Tofurky. Just call it Tofu and move on.
Old 13th February 2019
Lives for gear

I agree! Good quality processors shape sound in intrinsically pleasing ways and most modern digital processors perform their tasks in a musical way as well! And that's what matters.

Still though, that LA thing sounds way cool, looking forward to it! They mentioned it on Facebook when I asked har they had planned for the future...

Also, the Drift+ preamp module on their OsakaEQ provides some pretty amazing analog vibe, just on its own and no ther elements engaged. I have used it after the Vertigo VSM-3 and it gives the distortion a kind of more 'real' character and subtle electrical movement.

Last edited by V4nger; 13th February 2019 at 01:19 PM.. Reason: Addition
Old 14th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studioman22 View Post
Now make me one called the "Analog Audio Deceiver"- which when applied to a two track ITB mix, magically restores the depth and warmth. Warmth, yer getting closer, but depth, we still got nuttin. And good luck with that... Hehe.
It seems to me that the answer to your request is high quality material to start with.
After 35+ years of recording, mixing and mastering, I often prefer ITB over OTB.
It's not about "ITB" per se. It's probably more about "bedroom studio" mixes that are a result of a lack in experience, monitoring possibilities, and knowledge.

I am not interested in starting a flame war, or intending to provoke, but I was moved to bring some perspective. This is indeed a big issue nowadays, and one you have to deal with often, if you offer your services to other people.

Edit: And ironically, I tend to disagree about the "warmth". A lot that pretends to deliver that ITB is just adding undefined mush.
Old 14th February 2019
Gear Addict

When I listen to older highly revered recordings, I sometimes realize how relatively poor they actually sound. But they are those glorious classics, so we don't question them as they sound exactly how we have always known them and how we expect them to sound.

I don't hear any magic. Just good productions (which start with a good arrangement) - ideally.

Also: how much money did they spent on productions back then? They've been in those glorious studios for weeks, with a dedicted producer, a dedicated engineer, a dedicated tape-op - I'm here all by myself recording all the instruments myself and doing the arrangements and mixing and production all on my own - in my rare leisure time.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Having sat with this one for a while, I have really been appreciating it recently more and more. It just squishes stuff so pleasantly. Makes me want to get some other FUSE stuff to try it as well.

For those that have a lot of FUSE Audio stuff, what things in particular do you think are standouts?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomotomoto View Post
Having sat with this one for a while, I have really been appreciating it recently more and more. It just squishes stuff so pleasantly. Makes me want to get some other FUSE stuff to try it as well.

For those that have a lot of FUSE Audio stuff, what things in particular do you think are standouts?
the vqp filter set is a delight. it has the sweetest, softest, clearest hi-pass i've ever heard.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:

That's a bit of a tough one as all Fuse stuff is imo second to none without exception. Therefore I'd say pick and demo whatever you find interesting or is missing in your arsenal. Can't go wrong.

I have (and use) all of them since each plugin has a distinct character and clearly defined purpose. Makes it easy to reach for the right tool for a specific task. No standouts to me, sorry. I have an unreasonable fondness for the VCL-25A though and try to utilze it whenever I can. Also, the VQA-154 sits on most of my busses.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:

Once you understand it’s quirks VCL-25A is one of the best compressors ever coded in software.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend View Post
Once you understand it’s quirks VCL-25A is one of the best compressors ever coded in software.
that is a bold claim. now i need to demo it!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend View Post
Which are????
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by STSQ View Post
Which are????
Not miscend, but to me it's the interaction of input and threshold to control both ratio and knee. Took me a moment to wrap my head around.

Assuming you were curious about the quirks. Otherwise please ignore me
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotabateno View Post
Not miscend, but to me it's the interaction of input and threshold to control both ratio and knee. Took me a moment to wrap my head around.

Assuming you were curious about the quirks. Otherwise please ignore me
Agreed about the 25a. Working out the behaviours on offer by shooting out similar amounts of compression but with either more input combined with higher threshold or the other way round really reveals the sweet spots. The thing has a really nice presence for vocals.

The VCL-864U's superpower to me is the way it lets go. Its release behaviour is just such a slick movement. It sounds great on reverb returns too. And piano.

LOVE the VCL-4 too. Ballistics rocking it.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Attack action is fairly slow so it can get quite interesting and snappy on transient forward sounds. Especially on harder knee ratios. Easy to get things popping right out of the speakers but still feel round.

These vintage tools, unlike some of their modern counterparts, are not suited for every source. It takes time, experimentation and persistence to figure out what they are truly excellent at. It is worth it when you find the sweet spot.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
Agreed about the 25a. Working out the behaviours on offer by shooting out similar amounts of compression but with either more input combined with higher threshold or the other way round really reveals the sweet spots. The thing has a really nice presence for vocals.

The VCL-864U's superpower to me is the way it lets go. Its release behaviour is just such a slick movement. It sounds great on reverb returns too. And piano.
25a is certainly great on vocals. Tried the 864 on piano and you're right about the release, nice one. Hadn't thought of trying this on reverb returns! What is it doing for you in that context? Compacting the space (post-verb) and adding some motion?

25a is nice on pads too with the really soft knee and a lot of input. I'm still exploring the 864. Unlike the 25a this one is taking a while to get a feel for when and where it's special.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Elgin View Post
t context? Compacting the space (post-verb) and adding some motion?
Yeah, basically. Friendly, chocolatey, compacting density hug.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
Yeah, basically. Friendly, chocolatey, compacting density hug.
How do you set it up for chocolatey hug to your reverb sends ?

I never felt the need to compress reverb sends except for special needs (heavy compression / saturation to bring it up).
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search