The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Airwindows StudioTan: Mac/Windows/Linux AU/VST Saturation Plugins
Old 28th January 2019
Airwindows

Atmosphere also counts as a Console5
Old 28th January 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Try PDConsole! Amazing.
I will try it. I'm skeptical though, LOL! I've been abusing C5Raw, so hopefully, it will sound as 3D as that. To me, that's the best version of Console5, when it comes to getting a deeper soundstage. It can literally almost get as deep sounding as my console. Ha! Chris is a genius! I can only imagine Console6, this is why I inquired, however, I'll take your advice, @b0se!
Old 28th January 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisj View Post
Atmosphere also counts as a Console5
I have a question about that, actually. I posted it on your website a couple weeks ago but idk how you stay abreast of comments, if it's automatic or if you have to check each entry's comments manually.

Atmosphere | Airwindows
Old 28th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antagon1st View Post
I will try it. I'm skeptical though, LOL! I've been abusing C5Raw, so hopefully, it will sound as 3D as that. To me, that's the best version of Console5, when it comes to getting a deeper soundstage. It can literally almost get as deep sounding as my console. Ha! Chris is a genius! I can only imagine Console6, this is why I inquired, however, I'll take your advice, @b0se!
Look forward to your findings!
Old 28th January 2019
Airwindows

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepCircle View Post
I have a question about that, actually. I posted it on your website a couple weeks ago but idk how you stay abreast of comments, if it's automatic or if you have to check each entry's comments manually.

Atmosphere | Airwindows
It's always better to talk on forums, and I have to check each website entry manually (sometimes, hand-approve them when WordPress decides to hide people's comments) so the website gets much slower responses. So you asked:

Quote:
hey, this might be an odd question, but if you mixed atmosphere with console 5 in such a way:

so that the one sound which is supposed to be close-up goes through console5channel
so that all the sounds that are supposed to be far away go through atmospherechannel

should they finally be combined by atmospherebus or console5bus?
Both the Atmosphere plugins apply the 'add distance' effect created by the slew restrictions (more complicated than just one of the Slew plugins). So, if the one sound is loud and has very bright content, and you use AtmosphereBuss, it might restrict its high frequencies a little bit. If you used Console5Buss it'll do a similar thing on the slew (Console5 tries to enhance slews and then cut them back on the buss) and if you use PurestConsoleBuss it'll leave the highs the most untouched.

That's why there's a Console5DarkChannel: it does the same thing to slew that the buss plugin does, doubly cutting it back to make it more dark.
Old 28th January 2019
Replaced NJAD with StudioTan in all my default mastering projects last week (send to analogue chain, then again right after final limiting). Can't say I've noticed a huge difference with the new NJAD in 24 bit, where it is 99% of the time, but it's nice to be able to have the other options on tap/the quick switch for 16 bit too. Maybe sounds a little more "analogue" than before, but not done an A/B to test. It sounds at least as good as before, to these ears, which is the main thing.
Old 28th January 2019
Airwindows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermetech Mastering View Post
Replaced NJAD with StudioTan in all my default mastering projects last week (send to analogue chain, then again right after final limiting). Can't say I've noticed a huge difference with the new NJAD in 24 bit, where it is 99% of the time, but it's nice to be able to have the other options on tap/the quick switch for 16 bit too. Maybe sounds a little more "analogue" than before, but not done an A/B to test. It sounds at least as good as before, to these ears, which is the main thing.
Also note that now Hermepass and Hermetrim are dithered to 32 bit floating point (if you're using them on a 32 bit buss). I noticed on forum posts that you moved on and used other stuff, but there's a reason to re-listen to your eponymous plugins
Old 28th January 2019
Ooh really, they have been updated? I will definitely download again! Thanks Chris.
Old 31st January 2019
Lives for gear

Last night I was using ST on a buss. I summed the buss to mono and noticed a very obvious "grinding distortion" artefact. It disappeared when StudioTan was bypassed. Not really a "bug", if this is not really a "dither"... but it reaffirms how these tiny changes at zero can really make an imprint on the whole stack of audio bits, indeed way into audible range.
Old 1st February 2019
Airwindows

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneyBCN View Post
Last night I was using ST on a buss. I summed the buss to mono and noticed a very obvious "grinding distortion" artefact. It disappeared when StudioTan was bypassed. Not really a "bug", if this is not really a "dither"... but it reaffirms how these tiny changes at zero can really make an imprint on the whole stack of audio bits, indeed way into audible range.
I've said before, if I do a plugin and it can't sound HORRIBLE on any source, I'm doing something wrong

StudioTan is a really strange sort of EQ, with a lot of its sound produced by noise shaping. There are some sounds where it will bring sheer fairy dust to the audio. There are others where it will emulate a garbage disposal and that's ESPECIALLY if you're using it on a buss (it's a 'ditherlike' so in some ways it ought never be on a buss at all, unless you're sending that buss to a DAC for external mixing!)

If you're using this effect (or Dither Me Timbers) on an isolated track you're at the mercy of whatever is buried in the depths of that track. It's going to drag out the grain of whatever's there, in an unforgiving way. Maybe you want to enhance the grinding distortion DNA of a particular track. Choose wisely and if the plugin isn't working, don't use it.

The BEST of my plugins sound right when they work well with a track, and catastrophic if they interact badly with a track. You have to pick out stuff that'll interact right with your source material. They should NEVER be 'automatically make everything better'.
Old 1st February 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
I've said before, if I do a plugin and it can't sound HORRIBLE on any source, I'm doing something wrong

StudioTan is a really strange sort of EQ, with a lot of its sound produced by noise shaping. There are some sounds where it will bring sheer fairy dust to the audio. There are others where it will emulate a garbage disposal and that's ESPECIALLY if you're using it on a buss (it's a 'ditherlike' so in some ways it ought never be on a buss at all, unless you're sending that buss to a DAC for external mixing!)

If you're using this effect (or Dither Me Timbers) on an isolated track you're at the mercy of whatever is buried in the depths of that track. It's going to drag out the grain of whatever's there, in an unforgiving way. Maybe you want to enhance the grinding distortion DNA of a particular track. Choose wisely and if the plugin isn't working, don't use it.

The BEST of my plugins sound right when they work well with a track, and catastrophic if they interact badly with a track. You have to pick out stuff that'll interact right with your source material. They should NEVER be 'automatically make everything better'.
The key to life is that there is no key to life.
Old 9th February 2019
A few weeks mastering many projects through the new Studio Tan, NJAD 24 bit at 96kHz, on send to analogue chain, and after final limiting. I've noticed a definite improvement in smoothness of sound. It shouldn't make a difference, but it seems to. Those fade to blacks are to die for.

Bravo Chris.
Old 10th February 2019
Lives for gear

I agree Hermetech. I've been using ST-NJAD-24 on the last few Mastering sessions.

I understood the importance of Dithering, and just had to accept the previous, 'best I could find', and live with knowing my Session files
still sounded better .... but now with ST-NJAD-24, this has really changed things.

In fact ... I now have it [and monitor through it] as I work, and only Print with it when sending to Client and DDP.

Never expected 'dithering' to find such improvement. Thanks ChrisJ. [gotta up my Patronage].
Old 10th February 2019
Gear Addict

Every mix since this dropped has gone cliponly->StudioTan (dither variant chosen by ear on a per-mix basis)-> 1/4" tape on ReaInsert, then back to digital for final level tweaking and finally rendered through ST-NJAD-24 or 16 depending on destination. I honestly don't even know if ReaInsert applies TPDF and I'm double-dithering on the way to tape, and frankly it doesn't matter because it sounds so much better this way than it does if I don't have one of Chris' dithers in front of the tape insert.

And I've got to say, I haven't compared the StudioTan version of NJAD24 with the old one directly but I've noticed that my ears aren't getting fatigued like they would after mixing for a few hours through the old version so there's definitely something that has changed for the better.

Thanks so much for this, Chris! PurestConsole, Studio Tan and Buttecomp2 are just about the most indispensable plugins I have at this point, and I wish I could afford more than $50/year. I only make $2k-$3k on production work per year these days and my day job is half time, so funds are really tight most of the time but if things get better I'll definitely bump up my Patreon to at least $100/year.
Old 10th February 2019
Lives for gear

... just to add ...

another ChrisJ plug I use in every session .... PUREGain. [and sometimes BitGain].

Mainly to adjust UNITY Gain through the FX chain. I can use a dozen of them without a hint a sonic degradation.

This was yet another surprise plugin from Chris.

I did the 'Gain Test Experiment' with another plugin, and then compared PureGain. What a surprise. 'Gain' was supposed to be such a simple, basic process !?!

As with Dithering ... PureGain was another ear opening revelation.
Old 10th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post
... just to add ...

another ChrisJ plug I use in every session .... PUREGain. [and sometimes BitGain].

Mainly to adjust UNITY Gain through the FX chain. I can use a dozen of them without a hint a sonic degradation.

This was yet another surprise plugin from Chris.

I did the 'Gain Test Experiment' with another plugin, and then compared PureGain. What a surprise. 'Gain' was supposed to be such a simple, basic process !?!

As with Dithering ... PureGain was another ear opening revelation.
Hi RJHollins,

What was the difference exactly?
Old 10th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eklo View Post
Hi RJHollins,

What was the difference exactly?
It was suggested by ChrisJ in the video for PUREGain. Best to get the full story there.

Need I say, I was rather doubtful that a 'Gain' plugin would be of any significance ... but my A/B test confirmed what ChrisJ pointed out.

From what I recall: I use the A/B Match Level [js] plugin in Reaper, bookended around each FX plug in my Mastering chain. With that, I adjust the Output of each plug to Unity [regardless of what Drive Level I may have].

I never leave the A/B plug active when everything is balance. I had noticed that the track ALWAYS sounded better when the A/B plugs where disabled. It might be subtle ... but not in my Mastering Room.

Then Chris releases PUREGain. Doing his suggested test ... I stacked, some 25 PureGain plugs on a chain, as well as another commercial Gain plug.

Buttom line: Bypassing the PUREGain chain, there was NO sonic change. Like they never where even in the Chain. Could NOT say that for the 'other' Gain plugins.
Old 15th February 2019
Lives for gear

A so often, There is so much text, explanation and nerdism with this AW plugin, that I have to ask in a simple, naiv way:

You guys put this on every channel and FX return?

What about the fact that signals can't exceed 0dB. Does it act like a limiter? What if my channel is peaking a bit over 0dB?

Thanks
Old 15th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAudioBot View Post
A so often, There is so much text, explanation and nerdism with this AW plugin, that I have to ask in a simple, naiv way:

You guys put this on every channel and FX return?

What about the fact that signals can't exceed 0dB. Does it act like a limiter? What if my channel is peaking a bit over 0dB?

Thanks
You mean studiotan? I'm using one instance on the master, usually set to NJAD and placed right before the final output.
Old 15th February 2019
Lives for gear

I've read that people placed ST on returns etc. So can someone please summ it up, how to and how not to use it ideally?

Only on 2Buss, only busses, or okay on every channel?
Old 15th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've read that people placed ST on returns etc. So can someone please summ it up, how to and how not to use it ideally?

Only on 2Buss, only busses, or okay on every channel?
Are you getting your wires crossed with Console dude?

This is for use when you convert from D to A, albeit via a hardware loop or final printing. You can also monitor through it when mixing/producing.
Old 15th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Are you getting your wires crossed with Console dude?

This is for use when you convert from D to A, albeit via a hardware loop or final printing. You can also monitor through it when mixing/producing.
Nope. I am sure I read that ppl used one of Chris' (which are many) dither plugins on FX returns,
not one of Chris' (which are many) console type plugins.

+ Isn't Dither Float also intended to be used this way (Float....floating point....DAW.....confusing)
Old 15th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Nope. I am sure I read that ppl used one of Chris' (which are many) dither plugins on FX returns,
not one of Chris' (which are many) console type plugins.

+ Isn't Dither Float also intended to be used this way (Float....floating point....DAW.....confusing)

I think some ppl use them before sending out to hardware fx. Some are using them after plugin returns as they like what they are doing.

I think with this one the intention is to use it as your final output dither like NJAD was intended for.

I wouldn't overthink it... tho I have done ha. I just stick to one on the master and call it a day.
Old 15th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eklo View Post
I think some ppl use them before sending out to hardware fx. Some are using them after plugin returns as they like what they are doing.

I think with this one the intention is to use it as your final output dither like NJAD was intended for.

I wouldn't overthink it... tho I have done ha. I just stick to one on the master and call it a day.
Ha! Thanks. Yep, normally I don't overthink these things. it's the whole AW over the top nerdy complexity that once in a while gets me sucked in....

But I'll just try it on the master and compare to regular TPDF etc.
Old 15th February 2019
Dither is meant to be unobtrusive and do a single job well, set and forget. Chris decided to experiment with making dithers which also have a sound. You either like it on certain things, or you don't.

Me, I still haven't got around to trying the DMT or ST modes yet, because when they were first released, they were causing overs after my final limiter, so I gave up, and besides, NJAD is so great and I don't want my Dither to affect things too much tonally. I only ever use it in two places: 1) Between the DAW 32 float output and a fixed point DAC to the analogue chain, and/or monitors, and 2) As the last thing in the mastering chain after the final DAW limiter 32 float, and the final distributable file render at 24 bit fixed.

Apparently the new versions don't create overs, or anything other than an absolutely minuscule gain increase, so you should be safe to use them anywhere.
Old 4 weeks ago
There's something truly magical about applying the new version of NJAD at 32 float/96kHz to derive 24/96 files for distribution. It's like it "analogue-ises" the audio after the final limiting, making it sound more real again. I SUPER notice the difference the last few weeks. Again, bravo Chris.
Old 4 weeks ago
Airwindows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermetech Mastering View Post
There's something truly magical about applying the new version of NJAD at 32 float/96kHz to derive 24/96 files for distribution. It's like it "analogue-ises" the audio after the final limiting, making it sound more real again. I SUPER notice the difference the last few weeks. Again, bravo Chris.
I appreciate that: these are difficult times for me. Lot of folks that I normally appreciate giving me a hard time over the new developments in floating point dithering. There are times when that helps improve the work (such as one fellow going 'why are you TPDF dithering when you know the amplitude will be changing anyway?') and there are times when it's just a big smokescreen of misleading argument from authority, the message being 'don't listen to Chris from Airwindows' (to the extent people even understand this is something I've pioneered, which is doubtful )

That's not helpful. It's like I would have done better had I not even tried to pursue this line of experimentation and research. However, as always: thanks to Patreon, I don't care. If I got my crew, I'm immune.

I would encourage said crew to NOT get in internet fights on my behalf, though, no matter how tempting it might be. Do as I do: step back most of the time and rely on making good sounds to win people over. That is after all the name of the game, and just as nobody can hear your screen, nobody can hear your internet-winning argument through the mix.

If I'm right, the sound will carry the day and more people will respond positively to it. And I can supply the internet-winning argument to prove I'm right, but right now I don't want to go through all that again.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

i thought you convinced paul frindle that it wasn't harmful, though, right?

that said: yeah, it's been a rough week for you. i hope you feel better.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I would encourage said crew to NOT get in internet fights on my behalf, though, no matter how tempting it might be. Do as I do: step back most of the time and rely on making good sounds to win people over. That is after all the name of the game, and just as nobody can hear your screen, nobody can hear your internet-winning argument through the mix.
I easily step back, pulling up the next Mastering Session with StudioTan's NJAD-24 flying on the back-end of the Chain.
Old 4 weeks ago
adl
Gear Addict

I been using StudioTan during my last mixes and even I never really got into dithering I can clearly hear a difference with the different settings. There isn't one better than another, you just have to listen, what fits the track best and stick with that. I usually just render my tracks to mp3 (doing Techhouse and Trap in Ableton) and StudioTan gives just another 1 or 2 percent of this roundness or excitement, depending on what option I choose and what I think fits the track best.
Thanks for this little gem and keep up the great work, you truly are are a pioneer, pushing boundaries in the whole "zeros and ones" audio world.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search