The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Bettermaker NAMM 2019 - New Stuff!
Old 14th January 2019
Lives for gear

Bettermaker NAMM 2019 - New Stuff!

Hey.
Come by to our stand and check out our new gear.
As we are adding unique innovations to our products every time we release something, you can expect that this time will be no different.

Visit us at Booth no. 14914 and gram some goodies while they last.

More info TBA soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Bettermaker NAMM 2019 - New Stuff!-img_6329-lq.jpg  

Last edited by Marogru; 14th January 2019 at 08:40 PM..
Old 17th January 2019
Attachment pic not loading for me.
Old 19th January 2019
Here for the gear

NEWS: Bettermaker Master Bus Compressor

Excited about Bettermaker New products:

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​• Bus Compressor
• Mastering Bus Compressor (upgradable frimware)

Can not wait to see the final products on NAMM 2019 @ booth 14914.
Attached Thumbnails
Bettermaker NAMM 2019 - New Stuff!-ac8d1915-14e1-4a9e-87bd-8863dfed6045.jpg   Bettermaker NAMM 2019 - New Stuff!-54ff146b-44d5-42f5-927a-7bf5fd76d962.jpg  

Last edited by BoutiqueStudio; 29th January 2019 at 12:54 PM.. Reason: mistake fixed
Old 22nd January 2019
What would be the difference between the normal and mastering version other than the stepped knobs since both are recallable by a plugin?
Old 22nd January 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbas Alshafai View Post
What would be the difference between the normal and mastering version other than the stepped knobs since both are recallable by a plugin?
Gain range?
Old 22nd January 2019
Here for the gear

I’m not sure if both have plugin, or face plate to touch knobs!

But what I’m sure is one is less capable of the other one. Like one would have on-board 3 band eq on the side chain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbas Alshafai View Post
Old 24th January 2019
Here for the gear

TransAudio Group to Introduce New Bettermaker Stereo Bus Compressor at NAMM 2019

Bettermaker NAMM 2019 - New Stuff!-bettermaker-bus-comp.jpg

LAS VEGAS, NEVADA – JANUARY 2019: TransAudio Group, U.S. distributor of high-end professional recording equipment, will introduce Bettermaker’s newest creation, the Bettermaker Bus Compressor, at NAMM 2019. Like the 2019 TEC Award-nominated Bettermaker Mastering Equalizer and the rest of the Bettermaker product line, the Bus Compressor combines a pristine stereo analog signal path (newsworthy in its own right!) with digital recall and parameter control, and/or automation from a cross-platform plug-in. In other words, Bettermaker users get all of the unmatched sonics of a boutique analog signal path with all of the convenience of a plug-in. The mastermind behind Bettermaker, Marek Walaszek, will be at the TransAudio Group NAMM Booth #14914 to talk shop with other passionate audio professionals and enthusiasts.
“The Bettermaker Bus Compressor is designed for critical tracking, mixing, and mastering work,” Walaszek explained. “Think of it as an awesome stereo analog compressor first and foremost, one that’s in league with all of the most revered manufacturers in the industry. Then add complete digital control of all parameters for instant recall from the front panel and recall and automation from our Bettermaker plug-in. That’s the Bettermaker template, and the new Bus Compressor adds a twist: modularity. Besides the basic compression parameters like attack, release, threshold, ratio, etc., the Bus Compressor can be upgraded via expansion packs to perform more specialized functions like M/S, dry/wet mixing, high-pass sidechain filtering, different compressor modeling modes, and more. We’ll have a unit on hand at NAMM for people to check out, and we’ll have units ready to sell by the second quarter of 2019. And we will price the Bettermaker Bus Compressor competitively!”

BE SURE TO STOP BY AND SEE US AT NAMM 2019 BOOTH #14914 AND MEET BETTERMAKER’S CREATOR, MAREK WALASZEK

Bettermaker Digital/Analog hybrid EQs and Compressors
Bettermaker
Attached Thumbnails
Bettermaker NAMM 2019 - New Stuff!-bettermaker-bus-comp.jpg  
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

DLC for audio hardware. Crazy times!

Although I never use wet/dry mix on compressors so it's a cool idea to think of not paying for it and not having it in my compressor if I don't use it.
Old 28th January 2019
Lives for gear

Hmmm.... I thought it was going to be more "a la carte". I thought every function was available separately - for example wet/dry for like $5.00 or something. But it looks like they grouped everything in "packages" and you're gonna want at least one or two things in each package.

You're gonna want to control your sidechain filter, so that's a package. The wet/dry knob is lumped in with the M/S stuff and variable knee package. All the multiple compressors and and settings are available in a single package. So it's not really all that impressive looking at it from this standpoint. Instead it just comes off that you're being sold a really bare bones compressor and have to pay money to get a lot of the functionality that comes standard with most compressors today.

If every feature was separated (or lumped into like groups like all the m/s stuff in one group and the variable knee and wet / dry knob in another rather than have it all in one big group) then I think the concept might have worked. But at the moment, yeah, it just comes off like it's a stripped down compressor and you have to pay to unlock any real functionality.
Old 30th January 2019
Lives for gear

yeah i thought maybe they'd be hardware modules, fair enough... but no... just 'unlock codes'... hmmm... so all the hardware to do the analogue stuff is already in there...
Old 30th January 2019
News Desk Editor

Old 31st January 2019
Gear Nut

What a rip off to pay for dry wet if it is already there ... IMHO. Looks like a profit maximizing tactic similar to what high end video camera manufacturers use. „Firmware unlocks“... Better to have a product that costs a good price but that is continuously updated or which has an open firmware for compressor characteristics presets (eg release times etc.)

Last edited by decurion99; 31st January 2019 at 10:38 AM..
Old 31st January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by decurion99 View Post
What a rip off to pay for dry wet if it is already there ... IMHO. Looks like a profit maximizing tactic similar to what high end video camera manufacturers use. „Firmware unlocks“... Better to have a product that costs a good price but that is continuously updated or which has an open firmware for compressor characteristics presets (eg release times etc.)
yup I agree - this leaves a bad taste in the mouth about bettermaker...
Old 31st January 2019
Lives for gear

I know I've seen this in the past somewhere once or twice: hardware in place... software key to unlock. Just isn't coming to me specifically where it was.

Modules would certainly be more secure. Not that I would encourage or condone it, but there are people out there that will just love the challenge of doing a new type of soft/hardware crack. It's cool technology... Bettermaker have a step on many others. Will be interesting to see how it works out. Common place in software... "Ultimate" has it all... "Kinda-Pro" and "Lite" just have features in code commented out to cripple it. Hardware equivalent of that just kinda hurts.

Maybe cost analysis means it's just cheaper to put it all in there in one go. The auto industry will do that with wiring harnesses. Features are wired, but you need to pay to complete whatever option. Actually.... Teslas probably have plenty of software unlockable hardware options.

Another example... AMD and Intel will build quantities of high-end processors, then turn off cores/threads... reduce clock frequencies. They won't sell you codes to unlock them, though.

Interesting
Old 1st February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realtugs View Post
I know I've seen this in the past somewhere once or twice: hardware in place... software key to unlock. Just isn't coming to me specifically where it was.
A friend of mine works for Phillips and it's a pretty popular thing in the medical field. A lot of machines like MRIs or scanners have additional functionality built in but it's a few thousand more to unlock it if you want that functionality. So when a doctor buys it, Phillips sends my buddy to the hospital to enter the unlock code for that particular function. I guess in the long run it's cheaper and easier to build it fully functional and then cripple it rather than have to send a tech to install new circuit boards and stuff and test it, etc when a feature is added. Also less downtime for the machine. Of course, for the medical field this method makes sense.

Like I said before, they make it sound "customizable" but when you look at the features you realize it's not very customizable and they instead grouped it into 3 packages and put at least one desirable feature in each package so in the end you pay extra to get all the packages just to get the few features you want. It seems less like, "Pay for the machine you want" and more like selling you a crippled machine so it looks cheap on paper and then you pay more to make it the machine it was supposed to be.
Old 1st February 2019
Lives for gear

I think the core idea of Bettermaker is analog gear, digitally controlled. Then, via plug in control, you have more functions available than would otherwise be available on normal analog gear. This is how it is on the original Bettermaker EQ, the Mastering Limiter and the new Mastering EQ. That's what the core idea is of this new buss compressor.

While the Buss Compressor is still being designed and built, the idea (as I understand it ) is to offer an analog mastering capable stereo buss comp with the ability to evolve AND fine tune it out of the gate for specific applications.

What makes this box different is more along the lines of future proofing it with downloadable content and updates or feature specialization/evolution as time goes by rather than a static one time "load everything in it that will ever be and then unlock content via codes" idea. This is the first box he has shown that is being designed to evolve.

Knowing Marek, the owner of the company, I do not believe there is a desire to "keep features hidden" or make a customer pay for what they have already bought. Since its so early in presentation of this product (we saw it for the first time here at NAMM ourselves) I think its probably a bit early to be 100% certain about all the features of the final delivered product.

Brad
Old 2nd February 2019
Lives for gear

With the Pultec EQ, Mastering Eq, Buss Comp, and Mastering limiter, you have an amazing analog mastering chain with precision plugin recall. And their kit sounds outstanding. This is a wonderful move forward. Now I just need to save $12k!!
Old 11th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by decurion99 View Post
If you would like to have a fully featured compressor, I would advise to go for our Mastering Compressor, it comes fully featured with no additional updates. The Bus Compressor is an option for people that would like to spend less money at the beginning and let the compressor grow with them.

The price for the Bus Compressor will be set accordingly to the features you buy in the first place, we do not ask more then the functionality you will receive.

Selling firmware and software updates is common in pro audio industry since the 90s.
I could recall at least 2 different hardware companies that offer firmware updates, a few DSP companies, that you buy a DSP card and "Everything is there" on demo, but you need to buy the plugins later on if you want to use them.
Adding to that, there are DAW host companies that offer you LE versions and you are not surprised that the program does not come with full functionality.
You get what you pay for.

Actually we need to put more effort then them as we need to spend more money on production to offer you the later upgrades and with other companies, you pay only for "ok you can do it now". We decided to that to not ask our clients to take apart our units and add additional modules, as mechanical skills differ from person to person and we appear as one of the least "needing serviced" companies among our dealers.

Last edited by Marogru; 12th February 2019 at 03:49 PM.. Reason: added something.
Old 11th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post
A friend of mine works for Phillips and it's a pretty popular thing in the medical field. A lot of machines like MRIs or scanners have additional functionality built in but it's a few thousand more to unlock it if you want that functionality. So when a doctor buys it, Phillips sends my buddy to the hospital to enter the unlock code for that particular function. I guess in the long run it's cheaper and easier to build it fully functional and then cripple it rather than have to send a tech to install new circuit boards and stuff and test it, etc when a feature is added. Also less downtime for the machine. Of course, for the medical field this method makes sense.

Like I said before, they make it sound "customizable" but when you look at the features you realize it's not very customizable and they instead grouped it into 3 packages and put at least one desirable feature in each package so in the end you pay extra to get all the packages just to get the few features you want. It seems less like, "Pay for the machine you want" and more like selling you a crippled machine so it looks cheap on paper and then you pay more to make it the machine it was supposed to be.
Yes, we grouped it in 3 packages instead of 1 for example. The level of desire of particular feature is based on your preference, as you write, you would not use the Dry/Wet and some find it essential. I cannot predict which function is "desirable" for particular client, but I want the expansions to be affordable and make the compressor grow with you as you get to know him.
As you can see, there are as many views on this as posts are here and even more.
The basic feature set is not crippled, it's bigger then many of much more expensive VCA compressors out there.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search