The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
StageOne: new plugin for Width & Depth Enhancement by Leapwing Audio
Old 8th January 2019
News Desk Editor

Leapwing Audio Releases New Plugin for Width & Depth Enhancement: StageOne

StageOne: new plugin for Width & Depth Enhancement by Leapwing Audio-stageone-perspective.jpg

Leapwing Audio Releases New Plugin for Width & Depth Enhancement: StageOne

Leapwing Audio, a young Belgian development company that creates innovative audio plugins, this week announced they have released their latest plugin: StageOne!

StageOne has been designed to give producers and engineers intuitive control over the perceived dimensions of the stereo soundstage; stretching width and adding depth to any mono or stereo signal. The plugin gives access to a novel algorithm to change the width of existing stereo content, without compromising mono compatibility. Using the same tool, producers and engineers have the ability to add natural depth to recordings, with their unique and innovative directionally optimised reflections.

“We have noticed that while mixing, producers and engineers want ultimate control over the width and depth of each of the instruments,” said Robin Reumers, Co-founder of Leapwing Audio. “We spent many months in R&D developing a transparent method to change the width and depth perception of a stereo recording, even moving sources outside of the speakers, and give your music more natural depth. All this with a beautiful retina design and an intuitive interface.”

In addition to depth and width alterations, users can also access mono spread, which gives the ability to upmix mono signals to stereo. Ideal for mono sources that should be bigger than a static point source, mono spread can also be used to increase the size of the phantom center in stereo recordings.

Leapwing Audio StageOne is now available for EUR 199, USD 199 or GBP 179, supporting both Windows and MacOS in VST2, VST3, AU, and AAX plug-in formats.

“We are encouraging everyone to consider this opportunity to have ultimate control over your soundstage.” said Reumers. “We are including a 30-day free trial, so you can check out our new tool and decide if it is what you need.”

Download a free 30-day trial at: StageOne - Leapwing Audio

Visit Leapwing at NAMM 2019: booth 10930.
Attached Thumbnails
StageOne: new plugin for Width & Depth Enhancement by Leapwing Audio-stageone-perspective.jpg  
Old 8th January 2019
Lives for gear

Can't wait to try this. Huge fan of DynOne and CenterOne and have been testing tools of this nature recently.
Old 9th January 2019

I like it, simple but effective.
Old 9th January 2019
Gear Addict

It better be super amazing for this kind of price. Demo video does not inspire confidence in that regard.
Will definitely give it a spin though...
Old 9th January 2019
Gear Addict

I am looking forward to testing this tomorrow. I wonder how it compares to the PA Schoeps Mono Upmix? The Upmix does some great stuff to mono signals.
Old 9th January 2019
Sorry, but $199 for this is completely overpriced. Have you seen your competition before creating this and setting such a price?

MStereoGenerator | MeldaProduction
MStereoSpread | MeldaProduction

Sorry to say, but both these plugins *together* are cheaper and most important: have the same functionality like yours + even more features.
Old 9th January 2019
Gear Addict

Have you demoed StageOne against the plugins you mention?

Quote:
Originally Posted by XARC Mastering View Post
Sorry, but $199 for this is completely overpriced. Have you seen your competition before creating this and setting such a price?

MStereoGenerator | MeldaProduction
MStereoSpread | MeldaProduction

Sorry to say, but both these plugins *together* are cheaper and most important: have the same functionality like yours + even more features.
Old 9th January 2019
We are glad you like them
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Can't wait to try this. Huge fan of DynOne and CenterOne and have been testing tools of this nature recently.
Old 9th January 2019
OBM
Here for the gear

Outstanding quality! I work all days with Dynone and Centerone, instant buy!
Old 9th January 2019
Gear Nut

Just tried the demo. It's nice, but the CPU usage is surprisingly high. About 9% of one of my cores according to Studio One's CPU meter. Goodhertz Mid Side plugin on the other hand uses 1% or less, and I can't hear a world of difference between the two. Maybe StageOne sounds slightly clearer when I switch my main outs to mono.

The price on this is also really on the high side. I like having different flavors for spatial positioning and stereo widening, but I'm going to have a hard time pulling the trigger on this because of the price and CPU usage.
Old 9th January 2019
Gear Head

199 USD lol. Good luck guys. Not even going to demo it at this price.
Old 10th January 2019
really cool, just tried it. it's a 20-35 percent thing which really widens the sound stage and separates everything nicely.

initial reaction to 200 for a plugin is a tad high.
my thoughts are if its something you're going to use it all the time then its worth the price.
Old 10th January 2019
Old 10th January 2019
I have to agree with others, even with the customer 20% discount, as good as it is... it's a little overpriced.

I didn't even have to think twice about buying DynOne.
Old 10th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiodistortion View Post
I have to agree with others, even with the customer 20% discount, as good as it is... it's a little overpriced.

I didn't even have to think twice about buying DynOne.
Agreed.
Old 10th January 2019
Tried it. Nothing that I would like to spend 200 euros for. Sorry.
Old 11th January 2019
Gear Nut

Tried it, and I love it.

I have a decent amount of stereo imaging tools in my toolbox, but this one does something for my ear that the other ones do not. Though I can understand people's reaction to the price point, I'm already finding it to be an invaluable tool in my production and mixing. It saves me time and headache and gets me to my end goal faster than anything else I currently have at my disposal *and* plays well when using it in series with some of my other tools and tricks.

Owners of other Leapwing products seem to have been offered a 20% discount as well, which I appreciate.

This one knocks it out of the park for me, but I might have to agree with other users that there may be a lower price point that puts it into the 'no brainer' category for more users going forward.

Really solid work Leapwing, this thing is fantastic.
Old 11th January 2019
CEB
Gear Head

Yeah, I'm a big fan of DynOne and I think Leapwing is on to something sonically - very good developer. This one sounds very nice to me relative to competitors. I also value the simplicity of the GUI - more features/parameters is usually a negative to me. I'm willing to pay for smart design and good sonics.

That being said, as much as I would love to support the company again, I have a tough time pulling the trigger on it at this price. It's very expensive for a function that doesn't necessarily make it on every mix.
Old 12th January 2019
I'd pay $99

I'll probably buy CenterOne at some point... both DynOne and CenterOne are priced fine imo.
Old 13th January 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by msflsim View Post
Have you demoed StageOne against the plugins you mention?
To be honest I thought that was the price for a bundle.
It's way too much for that kind of plugin, even if the quality is great.
Old 14th January 2019
Lives for gear

Got the demo up and running.
The Mono spread is the highlight to me, superb results. The other options are cool too.
My dilemma is the horrible exchange rate from Euro to AU$, even with the 20% loyalty voucher it’s about AU$285.
Nice work though Leapwing.
Old 15th January 2019
Thank you for your words!
Quote:
Originally Posted by justifiednoise View Post
Tried it, and I love it.

I have a decent amount of stereo imaging tools in my toolbox, but this one does something for my ear that the other ones do not. Though I can understand people's reaction to the price point, I'm already finding it to be an invaluable tool in my production and mixing. It saves me time and headache and gets me to my end goal faster than anything else I currently have at my disposal *and* plays well when using it in series with some of my other tools and tricks.

Owners of other Leapwing products seem to have been offered a 20% discount as well, which I appreciate.

This one knocks it out of the park for me, but I might have to agree with other users that there may be a lower price point that puts it into the 'no brainer' category for more users going forward.

Really solid work Leapwing, this thing is fantastic.
Old 20th January 2019
Lives for gear

Still in demo mode.
The 1.2 update does seem to work better in Logic.
I'm beginning to wonder if having db readouts on Width and Mono Spread might be useful.
With Width in particular higher settings increase output level (make senses, the sides get louder).
I know there is an output level control which you can drop back to try and regain the same level as the overall input, but it's a bit hit and miss.
I'm thinking that if the Width control had the option to show db increases it might provide more fine precision for gain matching.
Old 20th January 2019
Lives for gear

So I take it this for those that have tried it, is comparing well to OTB widening stuff like the new pro-sumer (and possibly perfectly do-able ITB) SSL Fusion, and the def pro RND Master bus processor?

Judging from the price I guess it must at least be trying to be a notch above most plug-ins, yeah?
Old 20th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneKontrol View Post
So I take it this for those that have tried it, is comparing well to OTB widening stuff like the new pro-sumer (and possibly perfectly do-able ITB) SSL Fusion, and the def pro RND Master bus processor?

Judging from the price I guess it must at least be trying to be a notch above most plug-ins, yeah?
Can’t help as I don’t have any OTB widening stuff to compare it to.
Stands up very well to ITB stuff I’ve got like Mathew Lane’s StereoDelta, bx_stereomaker, Airwindows Wider and GHz Midside.
Old 20th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Beautiful Retina interface with unique design, focused on the optimal workflow
Am I missing something here? looks aliased and (on my 3440x1440 screen) a touch small with NO resizing ability. In fact the angled render above makes it look quite slick but in reality it's pretty shabby looking.

Wouldn't have mentioned it (sound is what matters) but above quote in manual threw me.

Quick tested only, but on the mix bus at least it's not immediately an enhancement for me, because I already do what it appears to do with seperate plugs, M/S EQ (Audified RZ) M/S MutilBand comp (Softube 1973 - this is my secret sauce that gives me instant 'sounds like a record' depth and width - has to be in M/S mode though!) not full just mixed in on parallel knob, these already give me all the width I need/want with very fine control, then saturation/weight comes from wavearts tubesat2/BRA Magnetite/Kazrog Tru Iron... + FG-Grey for main comp glue.

I'll have to delve further to see if stripping most of those off and using just this gives me greater results than what I have, I do know just adding it on to the above is no go for me as it just makes everything sound harsh and weaker, so pushed too far and not-needed obviously if you're doing as above.

For the price I did expect it to look better though I admit, it looks like programmer 'art' from early 2000s here on Pro Tools 12.8 HD. That grainy/aliased look is not a good look for this asking price for a 'simple' tool that should have been easy to make look smart.

If anything grabs me about the sound while I have it on trial I'll update my post, am sure it's very good at what it's meant to do.

Above poster, I use GHZ midside a lot for my general needs (not on mix bus but elsewhere - sub groups or FX/BVox etc - works great and NICE interface no jaggy look like this)
Old 20th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Above poster, I use GHZ midside a lot for my general needs (not on mix bus but elsewhere - sub groups or FX/BVox etc - works great and NICE interface no jaggy look like this)
I must agree about the slightly underwhelming look.
I've got a 5k Retina screen and it really isn't all that sharp the GUI.

All the Ghz GUIs are very cool and crisp, for sure.

The feature I like most about StageOne is actually the Mono Spread rather than the widening.
I'm a huge fan of DynOne, Leapwing nailed it there.
Old 20th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Am I missing something here? looks aliased and (on my 3440x1440 screen) a touch small with NO resizing ability. In fact the angled render above makes it look quite slick but in reality it's pretty shabby looking.

Wouldn't have mentioned it (sound is what matters) but above quote in manual threw me.

Quick tested only, but on the mix bus at least it's not immediately an enhancement for me, because I already do what it appears to do with seperate plugs, M/S EQ (Audified RZ) M/S MutilBand comp (Softube 1973 - this is my secret sauce that gives me instant 'sounds like a record' depth and width - has to be in M/S mode though!) not full just mixed in on parallel knob, these already give me all the width I need/want with very fine control, then saturation/weight comes from wavearts tubesat2/BRA Magnetite/Kazrog Tru Iron... + FG-Grey for main comp glue.

I'll have to delve further to see if stripping most of those off and using just this gives me greater results than what I have, I do know just adding it on to the above is no go for me as it just makes everything sound harsh and weaker, so pushed too far and not-needed obviously if you're doing as above.

For the price I did expect it to look better though I admit, it looks like programmer 'art' from early 2000s here on Pro Tools 12.8 HD. That grainy/aliased look is not a good look for this asking price for a 'simple' tool that should have been easy to make look smart.

If anything grabs me about the sound while I have it on trial I'll update my post, am sure it's very good at what it's meant to do.

Hackintosh here (HiDPI/Retina) and it looks nice and smooth.

Thanks for the heads up regarding ST 1973, didn't realise that plugin even existed. Any tips as to use it M/S for width? (Edit: I see it has a preset for that to start from). Would like to put it up against this and Ghz MidSide (I didn't gel with DrMS for whatever reason).

I like Leapwigs GUIs FWIW, simple and to the point. Just used DynOne on a mix, invaluable—again—and well worth the full price. I don't get that same 'must have' feeling from StageOne.
Old 21st January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
I like Leapwings GUIs FWIW, simple and to the point.
I really like the GUIs too, the layout and design are great.
I'm just referring to the fact that, compared to many other GUIs, they are not particularly sharp/crisp on a 5k Retina screen.

Last edited by Beatworld; 21st January 2019 at 03:05 AM..
Old 21st January 2019
Gear Head

I like this - subtle but pleasing and safe way to open up the image.

Would be much more comprehensive for mastering if included an LF-mono tool and more importantly a musically sensitive stereo-width REDUCTION feature to fix over-enthusiastic M/S mixing techniques (ironically..)
Oh, and a L/R stereo balance on the output!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search