The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
IK Multimedia unveils SampleTank 4
Old 13th December 2018
  #1
News Desk Editor
 
The Press Desk's Avatar
 

Software IK Multimedia unveils SampleTank 4

IK Multimedia unveils SampleTank 4-unnamed-2.gif


IK Multimedia announces the availability of SampleTank 4®, the next generation of IK's legendary sound and groove workstation that offers professional-quality sounds, an intuitive interface and powerful editing and effects for musicians and producers. It was re-designed from the ground up to be every musician's "go to" music creation workstation.

SampleTank 4 offers a massively expanded sample library (up to 8,000 sounds across 260 GB of samples) and a completely redesigned, scalable/zoomable interface. A new cutting-edge sound engine offers efficient hard-disk streaming and advanced sound design/editing possibilities.

The library and sound engine are complemented by innovative dynamic groove "players" (arpeggiator, strummer, pattern and loop player), 13 new effects (for a total of 70), a powerful new Mix window, a unique Live mode and powerful integration with IK's iRig Keys I/O line.

Three versions are now available: SampleTank 4 SE; SampleTank 4; and SampleTank 4 MAX.
Details on each version are below.

It all starts with sound - the expanded library
SampleTank 4 offers a massive library of sounds and grooves, with up to 260 GB and 8,000 instrument presets carefully balanced across a wide range of styles, genres and sounds. It contains over 200GB of new material assembled from dozens of high-quality recording sessions in cities across the U.S. and Europe, including IK's new custom-built studio in Italy. The new library features high-end recordings of all-new concert pianos, keyboards, guitars, bass, drums, strings, brass, synths, vocals, percussion and more, all with articulations and round robins for the most realistic performance yet, with over 120,000 samples added.

A new stereo grand piano offers multiple microphone sets and carefully blended room mics, to rival the best dedicated piano virtual instruments. A new collection of the most famous electric pianos, organs and keyboards covers everything from classic R&B to modern indie pop. And a massive set of new synthesizer sounds, using modern hardware instruments, offers a fresh companion to more vintage sounds.

New modern string and brass sections, with multiple musical articulations and deep round robin sampling, were designed to contrast with orchestral sounds rivalling dedicated symphonic libraries.

New acoustic and electronic drum kits and loops cover the latest beats straight from the top charts around the world. A timeless library of mallet and chromatic instruments gives tracks vivid melodic percussion with smooth clarity and harmonic brilliance.

New basses and guitars offer stunning detail, designed specifically for use with IK's industry-leading amp modelling effects.

A unique pop choir sound set offers an alternative to typical orchestral choirs, delivering new feel and soul to any recording.

Additionally, thanks to SampleTank 4's new efficient disk-streaming engine, larger sounds are not limited anymore to RAM size and load faster than ever to perform like never before.

Dig deeper - a completely re-designed application
SampleTank 4 offers a completely redesigned, fully scalable/zoomable interface that re-sizes conveniently on any type of modern displays.
All the interfaces have been redesigned from the ground-up to maintain the ease of use that's been a staple for SampleTank, for a minimal learning curve and fast workflow that suits the needs of today's modern producers.

The re-designed Sound Browser lets users browse, filter and search by style, genre and mood to find inspiring sounds quickly. Working with multiple sounds has also been made easier with a new dedicated Layer interface that enables the setting up of layers and split-points for up to 16 simultaneous sounds.

Editing is more powerful, too. Choose from 16 modelled filters, edit envelopes, oscillators, portamento, polyphony and more. Users can edit an entire sound or access individual articulations, zones, or single samples, for the deepest level of control. A new, cutting-edge modulation matrix allows for linking sources like envelopes, LFOs and oscillators to almost any control, for designing intricate soundscapes.

Animate sounds - innovative new dynamic "groove players"
Presets can be turned into performances more quickly with four new dynamic "groove players" - an Arpeggiator, Strummer, Phraser and Loop Manager. The Arpeggiator offers a massive range of presets with an option to draw in patterns, set velocity, length, swing and more. The Strummer lets users choose chords, position, direction and more, and then intelligently creates an accompaniment. The Phraser pattern player enables quick browsing and mapping of over 4,000 MIDI patterns. The Loop Manager offers over 7,500 loops that can be mapped to keys and triggered, with controls for pitch, grain and time.

Mix faster than ever
A powerful new Mix window has been added to adjust volume, panning, mute, solo and routing for all 16 tracks simultaneously. It also offers four effects sends and a master bus, with slots for five effects for advanced routing and mixing. New console channel strips give mixes the sound of legendary studio consoles for truly professional results, all within a single plug-in.
Convenient access to all effects parameters in-interface allows an entire track to be mixed efficiently in a single window.

The best effects get even better
SampleTank 4 adds 13 new effects, for a grand total of 70 studio-quality effects. Effects like these have never before been heard in a virtual instrument - they're all derived from IK's industry-leading AmpliTube and T-RackS software. Users can shape their sound with realistic tube saturation, classic analogue pedal effects, professional studio processors, creative effects, and more.

More hands-on control with iRig Keys I/O
SampleTank 4 now includes seamless integration with IK's iRig Keys I/O controllers. Users can browse and load sounds, control macros and transport, trigger loops, launch live setups and more directly from iRig Keys I/O, for an entire production set up that's plug-n-play. Fully MIDI controllable, SampleTank 4 also works with any other standard MIDI controller, be it keyboard or pad.

From the studio to the stage
SampleTank 4 makes it easier than ever to hit the stage. A unique, re-designed Live mode offers fingertip-ready controls for live performance and lets users build an entire set list and create song presets. Program change messages can also be assigned to each preset, for switching directly from a controller while performing.


Price and availability
SampleTank 4 is now available from the IK Multimedia online store or from select IK dealers.

SampleTank 4 SE - an affordably priced entry into the SampleTank line, offering 2,000 carefully chosen instruments for 30 GB of sounds. MSRP: $/€149.99* via direct download.

SampleTank 4 - Over 100 GB of sounds, including 70 GB of newly recorded material, for 6,000 sounds overall. MSRP: $/€$299.99* via direct download or $/€$329.99* for a boxed USB copy. Upgrade for only $/€199.99* direct or $/€$229.99* boxed.

SampleTank 4 MAX - the largest sample library IK has ever produced, it offers over 260 GB, including 200 GB of all new sounds. That's over 8,000 sounds in total. MSRP: $/€499.99* via digital download or $/€$529.99* for a boxed USB copy. Upgrade for only $/€299.99* direct or $/€$329.99* boxed.

Special pre-order pricing for both digital and boxed versions will be honoured until March 5, 2019. Please see the IK Multimedia website for more details.
*All prices excluding taxes


For more information, please visit: IK Multimedia - SampleTank 4
Attached Thumbnails
IK Multimedia unveils SampleTank 4-unnamed-2.gif   IK Multimedia unveils SampleTank 4-unnamed-3.gif   IK Multimedia unveils SampleTank 4-unnamed.gif  
Old 13th December 2018
  #2
Lives for gear
 
Peter - IK's Avatar
 

Thanks for posting this! Folks who took part in our very deep discounts on SampleTank 3, Total Studio 2 MAX, and similar qualifiers, should please notice this part near the end:

Quote:
Any customer who purchases SampleTank 3 SE, SampleTank 3 or SampleTank MAX on or after November 13, 2018, will receive the equivalent version of SampleTank 4 for free at release.

Any customer who purchases or received any version of SampleTank 3 as part of a hardware or software bundle on or after November 13, 2018, will receive SampleTank 4 SE for free at release.
Old 14th December 2018
  #3
Here for the gear
 

Hi Peter. I purchased Sampletank 3 as a crossgrade on November 23, 2018. Will I receive the equivalent version of Sampletank 4 on its release?

Thanks!
Old 14th December 2018
  #4
Lives for gear
 
Peter - IK's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkdaws32 View Post
Hi Peter. I purchased Sampletank 3 as a crossgrade on November 23, 2018. Will I receive the equivalent version of Sampletank 4 on its release?

Thanks!
Yes. Please see IK Multimedia. Musicians First or above where it states:
Quote:
Any customer who purchases SampleTank 3 SE, SampleTank 3 or SampleTank MAX on or after November 13, 2018, will receive the equivalent version of SampleTank 4 for free at release.
Old 14th December 2018
  #5
Here for the gear
 

Thanks Peter! You are always such a wealth of information! I saw that statement, but was unclear if it applied to recent crossgrades. Thanks for clarifying. I use Syntronik deluxe daily and am glad to see some of the interface features from that are making their way into Sampletank 4!
Old 14th December 2018
  #6
Lives for gear
 
Peter - IK's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkdaws32 View Post
Thanks Peter! You are always such a wealth of information! I saw that statement, but was unclear if it applied to recent crossgrades. Thanks for clarifying. I use Syntronik deluxe daily and am glad to see some of the interface features from that are making their way into Sampletank 4!
You're welcome and happy to help! Thank you for the kind words, too. I understand how these types of things can require some clarification to be sure.

Good catch on seeing some Syntronik pedigree in SampleTank 4, too.
Old 17th December 2018
  #7
Lives for gear
 
Peter - IK's Avatar
 

We also have some audio demos and videos. Here's the first video we posted:

YouTube

Old 18th December 2018
  #8
Gear Maniac
 

Peter,

If I was to upgrade my SampleTank 3 version to SampleTank 3 Max today, would I get SampleTank 4 Max when it came out?
I see the verbiage about purchases, but it does not specifically say upgrades so I wanted to check before I laid out the cash.

Thanks!
Old 18th December 2018
  #9
Lives for gear
 
Peter - IK's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29CountsNY View Post
Peter,

If I was to upgrade my SampleTank 3 version to SampleTank 3 Max today, would I get SampleTank 4 Max when it came out?
I see the verbiage about purchases, but it does not specifically say upgrades so I wanted to check before I laid out the cash.

Thanks!
Yes you would get the equivalent version of SampleTank 4 MAX (so it would be SampleTank 4 MAX upgrade). Thanks for asking!
Old 19th December 2018
  #10
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter - IK View Post
Yes you would get the equivalent version of SampleTank 4 MAX (so it would be SampleTank 4 MAX upgrade). Thanks for asking!
Great!!
One more question, can you use credits for the upgrade? I see you can use jam points but no word about the credits.
THANKS!!!
Old 19th December 2018
  #11
Lives for gear
 
Peter - IK's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29CountsNY View Post
Great!!
One more question, can you use credits for the upgrade? I see you can use jam points but no word about the credits.
THANKS!!!
Gear Credits are not usable on the pre-order/upgrade. Note that no MAX products can be purchased with Gear Credits so SampleTank 4 MAX upgrade would not be available using Gear Credits in general.
Old 22nd December 2018
  #12
Gear Maniac
 

Being able to use jam points made the decision easy for me. Installing SampleTank 3 MAX now.
Looking forward to the release of version 4.
Old 22nd December 2018
  #13
Gear Addict
 

Wasn't expecting a new version for another 8 years or so actually...

Wondering if its worth it to go to Max for the extra sounds. To be honest, I kinda found the sounds in S3 in many categories consisted of a single patch then the rest just some variation of that... usually from the effects department. Don't really want another 200gb of the same routine.
Old 26th December 2018
  #14
Lives for gear
 
Peter - IK's Avatar
 

There will be a very broad range of sounds, you can hear some great sounds with the new audio demos (performed by Jordan Rudess) added recently to IK Multimedia - SampleTank 4
Old 29th December 2018
  #15
Gear Addict
 

It appears that the only difference among the three versions is the number of factory sounds.

(1) Is that correct?

(2) Is there a list somewhere of what sounds are included in Max that are not included in the normal version, and what sounds are included in the normal version that are not included in SE? I couldn't find this on the IKM website -- all I can find are the total numbers of sounds and gigabytes.

Thanks in advance!
Old 29th December 2018
  #16
Lives for gear
 
Peter - IK's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrichard63 View Post
It appears that the only difference among the three versions is the number of factory sounds.

(1) Is that correct?

(2) Is there a list somewhere of what sounds are included in Max that are not included in the normal version, and what sounds are included in the normal version that are not included in SE? I couldn't find this on the IKM website -- all I can find are the total numbers of sounds and gigabytes.

Thanks in advance!
1) Yes that is correct.

2) Not at this time, it has been requested but there are still sounds being added and tweaked so the list is not yet final.
Old 29th December 2018
  #17
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter - IK View Post
... Not at this time, it has been requested but there are still sounds being added and tweaked so the list is not yet final.
Thanks for the fast response. That's going to make it hard to know what to pre-order. As I result I will probably end up passing on this upgrade.
Old 31st December 2018
  #18
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter - IK View Post
1)
Hi Peter,
will ST4 finally feature a 'next/previous' button to step through presets?
Having to double click each preset to be loaded is a pita.
Old 9th January 2019
  #19
Lives for gear
 
Solar's Avatar
 

This looks promising just the fact that the GUI has been fully overhauled and the built-in new re-design fx and all. Great IK

I just hope that the GUI is fully resizable following the route you guys did with the plugins pack ;-)

Old 9th January 2019
  #20
Lives for gear
 
shatz's Avatar
Is the CPU performance improved in this or is it about the same as v3?
Old 18th January 2019
  #21
Lives for gear
 
Peter - IK's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatz View Post
Is the CPU performance improved in this or is it about the same as v3?
There should be less CPU usage in SampleTank-based products, especially SampleTank 3 which loads sounds into RAM. You may be seeing any increases due to complex effects, they are typically the culprit.
Old 18th January 2019
  #22
Lives for gear
 
Peter - IK's Avatar
 

We've also added a master list of what's in SampleTank 4 MAX here: IK Multimedia - SampleTank 4 (bottom of the page).
Old 19th January 2019
  #23
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter - IK View Post
There should be less CPU usage in SampleTank-based products, especially SampleTank 3 which loads sounds into RAM. You may be seeing any increases due to complex effects, they are typically the culprit.
There isn’t something that can be done for this? Any optimization plans? T-racks are great plugins but they use lots of cpu, now with Sampletank I hope it doesn’t increase much of it because there are many who doesn’t have a big cpu
Old 19th January 2019
  #24
Lives for gear
 
Peter - IK's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by latorrejc3 View Post
There isn’t something that can be done for this? Any optimization plans? T-racks are great plugins but they use lots of cpu, now with Sampletank I hope it doesn’t increase much of it because there are many who doesn’t have a big cpu
Of course every version is further optimized but some effects will take more CPU. If you want to save CPU in SampleTank, it is usually as simple as turning off something expected to be high CPU like the convolution reverb as the samples/instruments themselves don't require you to use them. Most of the effects in SampleTank are not CPU-hungry there are just some that are - they sound gorgeous (like that Convo Reverb, especially on Miroslav Philharmonik 2 sounds) but there is some resource expense there.
Old 19th January 2019
  #25
Lives for gear
 
shatz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter - IK View Post
Of course every version is further optimized but some effects will take more CPU. If you want to save CPU in SampleTank, it is usually as simple as turning off something expected to be high CPU like the convolution reverb as the samples/instruments themselves don't require you to use them. Most of the effects in SampleTank are not CPU-hungry there are just some that are - they sound gorgeous (like that Convo Reverb, especially on Miroslav Philharmonik 2 sounds) but there is some resource expense there.
I like the convo reverb in SampleTank. Is that part of the CSR reverbs or is it something different? If so, any plans on releasing a stand-alone version of that verb?
Thanks
Old 21st January 2019
  #26
Lives for gear
 
Peter - IK's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatz View Post
I like the convo reverb in SampleTank. Is that part of the CSR reverbs or is it something different? If so, any plans on releasing a stand-alone version of that verb?
Thanks
Hi, it is not part of CSR or derived from those reverbs. Those are based on algorithmic reverbs and Convo is using convolution. I don't know of specific plans for a standalone but I'll certainly raise this suggestion to the team. Thank you.
Old 30th January 2019
  #27
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter - IK View Post
We've also added a master list of what's in SampleTank 4 MAX here: IK Multimedia - SampleTank 4 (bottom of the page).
Still waiting for lists of what's in the other two versions -- preferably a side-by-side comparison. I have zero idea what to pre-order.
Old 30th January 2019
  #28
Lives for gear
 
Peter - IK's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrichard63 View Post
Still waiting for lists of what's in the other two versions -- preferably a side-by-side comparison. I have zero idea what to pre-order.
We will have a list of what's in the different versions coming. The current list is the master list of instruments, but we will have the versions coming soon.
Old 1st February 2019
  #29
Old 1st February 2019
  #30
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter - IK View Post
The press release again urges customers to pre-order. But how can anyone make an intelligent decision about WHICH VERSION to pre-order without information about what content is in each one???

If I could lock in the pre-order price by guaranteeing that I would buy the version I select on February 21, when complete information is available, I would be happy to do that. As it is, the offer of a pre-order price doesn't help me at all.

Last edited by rrichard63; 1st February 2019 at 10:25 PM.. Reason: Grammar, clarity
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump