All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Synapse Audio releases DUNE 3
Old 12th December 2018
News Desk Editor

Synapse Audio releases DUNE 3-dune3.preview.jpg

The best DUNE ever, now in Full HD!

DUNE 3 builds on the award-winning DUNE 2 synthesizer, adding frequently requested features and innovative ideas, to create the best DUNE experience ever!

DUNE 3 comes with many new patches crafted by expert sound designers. Since DUNE 3 is fully patch-compatible with DUNE 2, it includes its presets as well,
doubling the factory library size to more than 1000 patches.

New powerful features

Dual filter

The revised filter section in Dune 3 now sports a dual multimode filter plus an insert effect. Different routing modes like serial/parallel and seamless blend via the Balance knob allow for unlimited creative input! New filter types have been added as well, and include zero-delay feedback filters derived from our latest analog modeling technology. For creative applications, new insert effects like the formant/vowel filter or phaser greatly increase the range of sound design possibilities.

Dual Arpeggiator

Two arpeggiator units instead of just one greatly increase the sound design capabilities of DUNE 3. The Arpeggiators can be programmed independently and support both classic Up/Down arps, as well as playing back different sequences or even MIDI files. Furthermore, new features like the Random mode or programmable Arp Hold make the arpeggiator more powerful than ever before!

Improved oscillators

At the heart of DUNE 3 are its powerful oscillator blocks. DUNE 3 supports VA, FM and Wavetable synthesis. With a maximum reserve of 8320 oscillators at full polyphony, DUNE 3 is a true unison monster, unlikely to ever run out of oscillators.

New in DUNE 3 is the "Swarm" mode, an evolution of the classic Supersaw oscillator. Each oscillator gets its own subtle modulation in this mode, breathing a lot more life into the sound than possible previously!

New effects algorithms

DUNE 3 offers many new effect algorithms in all categories like Distortion, Chorus, Phaser, EQ, Delay and Reverb.

One of the most important additions is the new Equalizer, which sports technology from our GQ-7 Graphic Equalizer rack extension.

Designed as a professional mixing and mastering equalizer, the new EQ offers four bands with high-quality parametric and shelving EQs, plus two additional low- and high cut filters with variable slopes. All filters in the EQ are designed to handle modulation without artifacts, such that the EQ can be used for creative purposes outside the realm of traditional EQ applications.

Another great new effect algorithm is the new Shimmer Hall, an exclusive feature of DUNE 3 - ideal for lush ambient sounds, wonderful pads and leads!

Wavetable Editor

The new Wavetable editor introduced in DUNE 3 is one of the most powerful around. Waveforms can be created via free-hand drawing, segments, a dedicated partial editor or by entering formulas. A variety of functions like morphing, fade in/out, normalize, DC remove, Invert/Reverse make creating new wavetables a breeze. Waveforms and Wavetables can be imported and exported in WAV format and are thus compatible with a wide range of third party software.

DUNE 3 supports Native Instruments' NKS format. It is compatible with Maschine and Komplete Kontrol S-Series keyboards.

Price: $179

For more information: Synapse Audio Software DUNE 3 VST/AU/AAX
Attached Thumbnails
Synapse Audio releases DUNE 3-dune3.preview.jpg  
Old 12th December 2018
Gear Nut

Dune 3 update looks fantastic. These guys are great at what they do. Right up there with some of the best developers. However, the upgrade price of $79 is too high. Sorry I'll have to pass for now. Too many other good deals out there right now on other plugins I've been excited to get or upgrade. Hope Synapse reconsiders the upgrade price. They can pick up more sales and then encourage customers with preset packs later for the profit margin, like so many other devs are doing now. For new customers, it's a really great synth though. Just not a great price for upgrade IMO. My two bits.
Old 12th December 2018
Gear Maniac

I concur. The upgrade price is too steep. As an Arturia customer I can purchase a whole new synth - Pigments - for less than the price of this upgrade.
Old 13th December 2018
Gear Nut

A fair price for owners since V1 like me would be 49$, not more
Old 13th December 2018
Gear Maniac
For me, it's worth it. Dune 2 was already my favorite software synth. Sounds so sweet! But with the new analog modeled zero delay feedback filters, double the filters and the sweet new fx algorithms, I'm in heaven. I admit the Arturia new synth workflow seems better but I don't really care for that as much as the character of a synth. On that front, Dune 3 is the clear winner for me. I'm used to old digital synths with much worse workflow and I'm not afraid to put the effort in to get satisfying results. Not that Dune 3 is close to being that hard to program, mind you. It just doesn't have all the bells and whistles some would have liked (drag and drop modulation, etc.). Knowing Synapse Audio, I believe it's just the first step in a series of updates. It's just going to get better and better.
Old 13th December 2018
Gear Addict

I'll definitely be upgrading!
Old 13th December 2018
Gear Head

Tried the demo. Sounds pretty good, alas, a synth with useable presets!
Old 14th December 2018
Here for the gear
Demoing it...I've got pretty much everything (NI, Omnisphere, Arturia collection...) but seriously impressed by this thing. Seems at ease at any type of sound, VA, WT, Digital, big or intimate and anything in between.
Old 15th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle69 View Post
Demoing it...I've got pretty much everything (NI, Omnisphere, Arturia collection...) but seriously impressed by this thing. Seems at ease at any type of sound, VA, WT, Digital, big or intimate and anything in between.
I've got those same synths so thought I'd give it a try and I have to agree with you.

Last edited by screentan; 15th December 2018 at 07:58 AM..
Old 15th December 2018
Gear Addict
Having bought Dune 2 about 8 months ago I find the 80 dollar upgraded quite high and the sound is badicaly the same as Dune 2 (I guess it has to be as it plays the same presets).

It’s an update I can pass on until more is added or there is a sale on.
Old 15th December 2018
Lives for gear

Can someone please tell me does this have a preset browser? all I can see is arrows, not even a dropdown menu.
Old 15th December 2018
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon View Post
Can someone please tell me does this have a preset browser? all I can see is arrows, not even a dropdown menu.
Yes, you can see all of the presets in a bank in one window, its very basic, just a list, but it does work- try clicking on then pre-set- I think that's how t opens (from memory).
Old 15th December 2018
Gear Maniac

I've been a synapse fan but I'm underwhelmed by this update and upgrade cost. TBH there is nothing that really pops out and says I need this! or that's a unique feature. Maybe I'll upgrade in a few months.
Old 15th December 2018
Lives for gear

More filters, WT and FX. Worth it for me. Demo and see.
Old 16th December 2018
It sounds incredible
Old 16th December 2018
kdm
Lives for gear
Never tried Dune until now. Love it. I have more than enough soft synths but Dune 3 is a definite buy. Just a few days with the demo and it has already become a favorite.
Old 17th December 2018
Lives for gear

The filter its really glassy sounding not much excitment in dune..is it version 3 with better filter?Version 2 was so itb sounding that u paased it.
Old 17th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLiC View Post
Yes, you can see all of the presets in a bank in one window, its very basic, just a list, but it does work- try clicking on then pre-set- I think that's how t opens (from memory).
Yes that is correct. Clicking on the currently displayed preset name opens up the whole list of presets in the bank.
Old 18th December 2018
DUNE has been my workhorse since v1, so I naturally upgraded immediately. Not too many things have changed since v2, but the added stuff are really good, dual filter (with link) is really nice and the new filters sound great (I was never a huge fan of the v2 filters). Also the SWARM algo makes nicer supersaws, which also slightly lacked in earlier versions. So in general I feel this is the same synth in general as before, but just sounds better now.

There's of course many other new features I've yet to try.
Old 22nd December 2018
It sounds really nice. It needs some features like better modulation and a preset browser. But the sound is great!
Old 22nd December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiomeDigital View Post
It sounds really nice. It needs some features like better modulation and a preset browser. But the sound is great!
You know if you click on the preset name it brings up a list of all presets in the current bank? Where you after something more than this?
Old 22nd December 2018
Gear Maniac
3 more steps closer to the access virus TI?
Old 22nd December 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikola_Tesla View Post
3 more steps closer to the access virus TI?
I’m sure it’s long been surpassed. Even the Legend can do better analogue sounds.
Old 22nd December 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend View Post
I’m sure it’s long been surpassed. Even the Legend can do better analogue sounds.
Not so sure about that, you've ever worked with one? I've honestly never heard a softsynth come even close... Even if it's digital to the bone, the Access virus sound is warm and really cuts trough. I wish there was a soft synth that would come close, but I'm still waiting.
Old 23rd December 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Not so sure about that, you've ever worked with one? I've honestly never heard a softsynth come even close... Even if it's digital to the bone, the Access virus sound is warm and really cuts trough. I wish there was a soft synth that would come close, but I'm still waiting.
It sounds good but isn’t worth it’s asking price even on the 2nd hand market. I think the Virus is as good as its contemporaries like the AN1x, JP8000 and Novation Supernova. But you can get those synths for a more affordable price.

Anyway despite being categorised as Virtual Analogue the Virus doesn’t do a good job at sounding analogue. The oscs are severely band limited and the filter does audibly alias. So you can get more analogue sounding results with software. Technology moved on, the Virus isn’t in the same league as TL or Repro in emulating analogue style sounds.

Last edited by miscend; 23rd December 2018 at 08:29 PM.. Reason: fixing typos
Old 23rd December 2018
Lives for gear

Still no layer (voice) mixer? Hopefully they also updated/optimized even more for better cpu usage.
Old 23rd December 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
I had it...and sold it when i discovered back in the days that Sylenth and Massive and others sounded much better and had lots more functionality. Never looked back since, especially because the whole integration thing never worked the way it should work.

And nowadays, with synths like Serum, Spire, Falcon, Avenger, Diva, Repro, Dune, Synthmaster and many others, there really is no need to have an Access Virus...not only do all these synths sound way better, but they also integrate and function much better in a modern daw environment.

And a tip : If you really like that cheap Virus converter sound, just use a bitcrusher or simple distortion on any softsynth.
Old 23rd December 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dione View Post

And a tip : If you really like that cheap Virus converter sound, just use a bitcrusher or simple distortion on any softsynth.
C'mon man that's just not true and you must know that if you had owned one.
I have owned a Virus B C and Ti through the years (also sold them) there are things the virus does that cannot be replicated unless it was a 1:1 software replica and Access own those Algo's.You have 10 years on GS so you know what I'm saying and saying a bitcrusher will get you that sound is pure madness.
Old 23rd December 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend View Post
It sounds good but isn’t worth it’s asking price even on the 2nd hand market. I think the Virus is as good as its contemporaries like the AN1x, JP8000 and Novation Supernova. But you can get those synths for a more affordable price.

Anyway despite being categorised as Virtual Analogue the Virus doesn’t do a good job at sounding analogue. The oscs are severely band limited and the filter does audibly alias. So you can get more analogue sounding results with software. Technology moved on, the Virus isn’t in the same league as TL or Repro in emulating analogue style sounds.
I have Access Virus B and Novation Supernova II, but it's been years since I used either. I always thought Spire is very Virus-like and on the other hand while DUNE doesn't quite sound like Supernova, it's kind of in the same territory. Which is that it's extremely versatile, but doesn't give you instant street (or club?) credible massive cut through leads.

Today I prefer DUNE for programming own sounds like I used to prefer Supernovas. With Spire I tend to just go with presets + tweaks, just like I used Virus back in the day.
Old 24th December 2018
Gear Addict

Last edited by dione; 24th December 2018 at 10:19 PM.. Reason: never mind...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search