The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MIA Laboratories First Update! Pi and Phi MkII is here!
Old 10th December 2018
  #1
Here for the gear
 
MIA Laboratories's Avatar
 

MIA Laboratories First Update! Pi and Phi MkII is here!


The Second Generation of our audio plugins, Pi & Phi MkII and Musiqual Series SE is here!


Pi & Phi MkII and the Musiqual Series SE plugins now incorporate iLok Cloud Activation (no physical iLok required).
Pi & Phi MkII comes with two new extra frequency bands to support the Super Low and Super High frequency range and some more cool features.
Compatibility and usability have been improved, according to your needs and requests, in order to exquisitely fit your workflow.

Musiqual Series SE
New Features
  • iLok Cloud Activation (no physical iLok Required, but still supported)
  • 0.1 precision settings for Gain and Colour
  • 2 Activations Available per License
  • Bypass Button. This allows you to easily and quickly conduct A/B tests and drive your sound to perfection, without leaving the comfort of your plugin
  • Improved mono/stereo audio handling
Musiqual BLUE is an exquisite EQ with 16 bands to choose from, forged from the experience gained over countless working hours on Class A analogue equipment.
Musiqual RED is an analogue tube flavoured, single band EQ. It possesses a strong Tube flavour, boasting 31 pre-set frequency bands very familiar to Tube enthusiasts, across generations.
Musiqual GREEN is a semi parametric EQ, delivering a fairly transparent sound with the Transistor flavour that is so characteristic of analogue technology.

Pi & Phi MkII
New Features
  • iLok Cloud Activation (no physical iLok Required, but still supported)
  • Two extra bands. SL to address the Super Low frequency range, SH for the Super High frequencies
  • Bypass button for each individual band, in order to help you seamlessly make that little tweaks that will lead the way to the perfect result
  • Master Bypass button to allow immediate A/B tests
  • Global Reset button to initialise all controls with a single click
  • Even more precise control over each band, by allowing decimal gain values to be typed in each field (full control in parameter view)

Pi & Phi MkII, the second generation Pi & Phi, allows you to explore and unleash its full potential like never before! Pi & Phi (π & φ) is our landmark product, designed and destined to impress, and deliver. Innovation and a lifetime of experience, coupled with cutting edge technological expertise, are some of the ingredients that gave birth to this irreplaceable tool.

Tips

Combining Musiqual Red, Green and Blue can produce remarkable results. Our new FREE plugins MIA Fat, MIA Thin and MIA Muscle pose a characteristic example of this technique.

For further tips and examples visit our Youtube channel and our Soundcloud page.

We really appreciate your kind support! We all hope that you enjoy our new tools as much as we do and help you take your creativity, productivity and overall results to a whole new level!

For any further questions / suggestions / reviews / issues etc., please feel free to contact us.



May the Sound be with you!

Mia Laboratories
Old 10th December 2018
  #2
Here for the gear
 
MIA Laboratories's Avatar
 

Software Pi and Phi MkII is here!

Pi & Phi MkII, is here to unleash its full potential like never before! Pi & Phi (π & φ) is our landmark product, designed and destined to impress, and deliver. Innovation and a lifetime of experience, coupled with cutting edge technological expertise, are some of the ingredients that gave birth to this irreplaceable tool.

New Features:
  • iLok Cloud Activation (no physical iLok Required, but still supported)
  • Two extra bands. SL to address the Super Low frequency range, SH for the Super High frequencies
  • Bypass button for each individual band, in order to help you seamlessly make that little tweaks that will lead the way to the perfect result
  • Master Bypass button to allow immediate A/B tests
  • Global Reset button to initialise all controls with a single click
  • Even more precise control over each band, by allowing decimal gain values to be typed in each field (full control in parameter view)

Get your FREE 14day TRIAL
Old 11th December 2018
  #3
Lives for gear
 

So, as a former buyer of Pi & Phi...where do I go to get the free update? The email link only points me to the trial...
Old 11th December 2018
  #4
Here for the gear
 
MIA Laboratories's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdilletteMan View Post
So, as a former buyer of Pi & Phi...where do I go to get the free update? The email link only points me to the trial...
Hello AdilletteMan,
If you have previously bought a license, a new license has been deposited for you in your iLok account.
All you have to do is:
1. Run the iLok License Manager application, log in with your details and you will find the new license under the Available tab.
2. Activate the license to your preferred location (iLok or iLok Cloud).
3. Download the trial version of the plugin from our website and run the appropriate installer for your system.
You are all set.

If you still have any issues, just send an email to [email protected] and we will be glad to help you out.

Thanks for your support.
Chris
Old 11th December 2018
  #5
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIA Laboratories View Post
Hello AdilletteMan,
If you have previously bought a license, a new license has been deposited for you in your iLok account.
All you have to do is:
1. Run the iLok License Manager application, log in with your details and you will find the new license under the Available tab.
2. Activate the license to your preferred location (iLok or iLok Cloud).
3. Download the trial version of the plugin from our website and run the appropriate installer for your system.
You are all set.

If you still have any issues, just send an email to [email protected] and we will be glad to help you out.

Thanks for your support.
Chris
Yeah, activated the new license to my iLok already...just wasn`t sure about the trial being the final version part...

Cheers
Old 11th December 2018
  #6
Lives for gear
 

Perhaps an edit to the OP with clear instruction for updating would be good!
Old 12th December 2018
  #7
Lives for gear
 
Beatworld's Avatar
How long will the current price last for?
I've never heard of this before and need to at least demo it.
Thanks
Old 12th December 2018
  #8
Lives for gear
Well, Pi/Phi is a really unique and rather odd approach to EQ/flavor. This plug-in cannot cut frequencies but can only boost them. And the frequencies appear to be fixed. So it's strictly an additive EQ. Of course one of its main functions would be to boost the high frequencies.

I have to say that after a quick play replacing only the high frequency boost part of some of my favorite EQs, this does impart an interesting clarity and presence. It's almost like some kind of enhancer. I'll have to test a lot more to see if it's something you can use a lot without causing fatigue. In the lower middle band, it can also give a nice body to male vocals without making them sound tubby. I will have to try it on drums, bass, etc.

Last edited by MarsBot; 20th December 2018 at 08:28 PM..
Old 12th December 2018
  #9
Lives for gear
 

I use it Pi/Phi on the master channel only. The bands are perfect for enhancing a good mix at very low settings of less than 3, more often just in the first 3 decimal points. And then the shelves are fantastic for creating the weight and extension.

I then use the Musiqual EQs on pretty much everything. Nebula EQs on busses.

There is some sort of integrated interaction between Pi/Phi and the Musiqual EQs, where Pi/Phi enhances the effect and depth of the EQs.
Old 13th December 2018
  #10
M2E
Lives for gear
 
M2E's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIA Laboratories View Post

The Second Generation of our audio plugins, Pi & Phi MkII and Musiqual Series SE is here!


Pi & Phi MkII and the Musiqual Series SE plugins now incorporate iLok Cloud Activation (no physical iLok required).
Pi & Phi MkII comes with two new extra frequency bands to support the Super Low and Super High frequency range and some more cool features.
Compatibility and usability have been improved, according to your needs and requests, in order to exquisitely fit your workflow.

Musiqual Series SE
New Features
  • iLok Cloud Activation (no physical iLok Required, but still supported)
  • 0.1 precision settings for Gain and Colour
  • 2 Activations Available per License
  • Bypass Button. This allows you to easily and quickly conduct A/B tests and drive your sound to perfection, without leaving the comfort of your plugin
  • Improved mono/stereo audio handling
Musiqual BLUE is an exquisite EQ with 16 bands to choose from, forged from the experience gained over countless working hours on Class A analogue equipment.
Musiqual RED is an analogue tube flavoured, single band EQ. It possesses a strong Tube flavour, boasting 31 pre-set frequency bands very familiar to Tube enthusiasts, across generations.
Musiqual GREEN is a semi parametric EQ, delivering a fairly transparent sound with the Transistor flavour that is so characteristic of analogue technology.

Pi & Phi MkII
New Features
  • iLok Cloud Activation (no physical iLok Required, but still supported)
  • Two extra bands. SL to address the Super Low frequency range, SH for the Super High frequencies
  • Bypass button for each individual band, in order to help you seamlessly make that little tweaks that will lead the way to the perfect result
  • Master Bypass button to allow immediate A/B tests
  • Global Reset button to initialise all controls with a single click
  • Even more precise control over each band, by allowing decimal gain values to be typed in each field (full control in parameter view)

Pi & Phi MkII, the second generation Pi & Phi, allows you to explore and unleash its full potential like never before! Pi & Phi (π & φ) is our landmark product, designed and destined to impress, and deliver. Innovation and a lifetime of experience, coupled with cutting edge technological expertise, are some of the ingredients that gave birth to this irreplaceable tool.

Tips

Combining Musiqual Red, Green and Blue can produce remarkable results. Our new FREE plugins MIA Fat, MIA Thin and MIA Muscle pose a characteristic example of this technique.

For further tips and examples visit our Youtube channel and our Soundcloud page.

We really appreciate your kind support! We all hope that you enjoy our new tools as much as we do and help you take your creativity, productivity and overall results to a whole new level!

For any further questions / suggestions / reviews / issues etc., please feel free to contact us.



May the Sound be with you!

Mia Laboratories
Are these plugins 64bit only? I hope plugin companies start putting this info on their website so us with 32 bit mix systems don't download the plugins thinking they will work with our systems.

Thanks Marc
Old 13th December 2018
  #11
Lives for gear
 
Beatworld's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2E View Post
Are these plugins 64bit only? I hope plugin companies start putting this info on their website so us with 32 bit mix systems don't download the plugins thinking they will work with our systems.

Thanks Marc
Have a look at the "Additional Information" for each plugin.
Looks like 32 bit for Windows but maybe not Mac ??
Hard to say, not 100% clear.
Old 13th December 2018
  #12
Here for the gear
 
MIA Laboratories's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatworld View Post
Have a look at the "Additional Information" for each plugin.
Looks like 32 bit for Windows but maybe not Mac ??
Hard to say, not 100% clear.
Yes we do support Windows 7/8/10 32bit
but not Mac 32bits

apologies if it is not 100% clear and thanks for the notice, we will take care of it soon.
Old 13th December 2018
  #13
Here for the gear
 
MIA Laboratories's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatworld View Post
How long will the current price last for?
I've never heard of this before and need to at least demo it.
Thanks
The current prices are introductory prices, we do not intend to raise them definitely until the end of the year.

We hope you enjoy the demo

Best
Chris
Old 16th December 2018
  #14
Lives for gear
The Musiqual EQs are really something. These are the standouts for me so far in this update. They are very unconventional plug-ins, more like enhancers with an EQ function built in. They basically add clarity or somehow minimize unpleasant aspects of digital sound that can interfere with clarity. The effect is really strange and subtle but very pleasant, unlike any other plug-ins I've used. Then on top of this basic clarity effect, you get adjustable coloration and the option to pick one of a number of fixed bands of EQ, except for the Green plug-in which has a continuously variable semi-parametric. The Red EQ can be used as an almost tape-style coloration that is particularly effective on vocals.

There are some reasons people may not bother to demo these Musiqual EQs, the main one being why would I want a single band EQ? But if you think of these as enhancers instead of EQs, they make much more sense. Another issue is the use of vague, overly general and hyperbolic superlatives in the marketing text. I understand that companies are proud of their creations, and I think these are good plug-ins. But this language may actually be driving away potential customers. After further testing, I like the Pi and Phi plug-in, but when I A/B it with the Musiqual EQs, I almost always prefer the Musiqual EQs. So I'm going to purchase the Musiqual EQ bundle. These are a truly unique flavor that I haven't heard ITB before.

Last edited by MarsBot; 19th December 2018 at 11:06 PM..
Old 16th December 2018
  #15
Here for the gear
 
MIA Laboratories's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarsBot View Post
The Blue EQ and Red EQ are really something. These are the standouts for me so far in this update. They are very unconventional plug-ins, more like enhancers with an EQ function built in. They basically add clarity or somehow minimize unpleasant aspects of digital sound that can interfere with clarity. The effect is really strange and subtle but very pleasant, unlike any other plug-ins I've used. Then on top of this basic clarity effect, you get adjustable saturation and the option to pick one of a number of fixed bands of EQ. The Red EQ can be used as an almost tape-style saturation that is particularly effective on vocals.

There are some reasons people may not bother to demo these Musiqual EQs, the main one being why would I want a single band EQ? But if you think of these as enhancers instead of EQs, they make much more sense. Another issue is the use of vague, overly general and hyperbolic superlatives in the marketing text. I understand that companies are proud of their creations, and I think these are good plug-ins. But this language may actually be driving away potential customers. After further testing, I like the Pi and Phi plug-in, but when I A/B it with the Musiqual EQs, I almost always prefer the Musiqual EQs. So I'm going to purchase the Musiqual EQ bundle. These are a truly unique flavor that I haven't heard ITB before.
Hello MarsBot,
Thanks a lot for your positive comments.
You seem that you have good understanding of sound and that you got the essence of our Musiqual Plugins.
(try to use Pi and Phi on the channel right after the musiqual eq's and have a listen)
We take on-board your comments about the marketing text,
i only want to point out that the link you have included in your post directs to another product and not the Musiqual Blue
Thanks again for your support!
Old 16th December 2018
  #16
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIA Laboratories View Post
Hello MarsBot,
Thanks a lot for your positive comments.
You seem that you have good understanding of sound and that you got the essence of our Musiqual Plugins.
(try to use Pi and Phi on the channel right after the musiqual eq's and have a listen)
We take on-board your comments about the marketing text,
i only want to point out that the link you have included in your post directs to another product and not the Musiqual Blue
Thanks again for your support!
I didn't insert that link. The Gearslutz robot did that I'll try to remove it. After doing a full mix with the Musiqual EQs last night, I'm even more enthusiastic about them. It just sounds like you're running a source through extremely high quality outboard gear. You quickly get a sense of the different coloration in each EQ and what will work best on a given source. If you apply these creatively on many tracks, you can really enhance the perceived depth of a mix.

And they are pretty CPU efficient so you can use many in a mix. I can understand why you are using so many superlatives in the marketing text. And to be fair, so are many of your competitors. It's a fine line I think you've created a very good product here. To me, the Musiqual EQs actually achieve what Phil's Cascade and Harmonics Analog Saturation Processor are trying to do.

Last edited by MarsBot; 19th December 2018 at 11:07 PM..
Old 16th December 2018
  #17
Gear Maniac
 

Would love to hear more details of how you're using them.
Old 16th December 2018
  #18
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by STSQ View Post
Would love to hear more details of how you're using them.
Well, I've tried them on an Ozomatli-style Latin funk song and an EDM track. The EDM kick worked well with Green colour at 33% and a slight boost at 40 Hz, followed by Blue with colour at 0 and slight boost at 3200 Hz.

I also found that Green's transistor drive made an important, but secondary pluck sound sit much better in the EDM mix and be more audible without getting in the way.

The EDM synth lead benefited from two instances of Blue, one with coloration at 63% and cutting some annoying 2 kHz while the other had no coloration and added some 4700 Hz.

The Latin funk vocalist benefited from Red with colour at 70% and a slight boost at 220 Hz. I actually preferred this to the TAUPE TAPE I had been using on him for saturation. He tends to sound thin and screechy at times and Red really calmed all this to lend a very natural sounding fatness that he needs.

Last edited by MarsBot; 19th December 2018 at 11:09 PM..
Old 16th December 2018
  #19
Lives for gear
 
Arionas's Avatar
Guys allow me please to drop a little information here...
Behind MIA Laboratories is one of the best sound engineers of Greece - actually a legend for us, the new generation greek mixing engineers (In fact I'm somewhere in the middle, not too much young hehe).
Mia Laboratories deserves a deeper look here in Gearslutz. I agree with all the comments above - This plugin bundle is an amazing toolkit for high quality mixes.
Old 16th December 2018
  #20
Lives for gear
 

Really great, so glad to hear other users achieving and experiencing the depth and quality these tone shapers can provide. And being compared to some of the highest quality effects on offer right now.
Old 16th December 2018
  #21
Lives for gear
 
Beatworld's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIA Laboratories View Post
The current prices are introductory prices, we do not intend to raise them definitely until the end of the year.

We hope you enjoy the demo

Best
Chris
Thanks Chris.
I'm hoping to enjoy the demo too, when we sort out the iLok demo license activation issue we're currently discussing and trying to resolve

UPDATE: Demo licence for the Blue EQ sorted, thanks Chris.
Impressive EQ, unique.

Last edited by Beatworld; 16th December 2018 at 11:48 PM..
Old 17th December 2018
  #22
Lives for gear
 
Taurean's Avatar
I think Blue should be re-worded as a single band EQ with 16 frequencies to choose from at any one time. "16-band EQ" sounds a bit misleading. Congrats on the release, will be demo'ing the others soon.
Old 17th December 2018
  #23
Lives for gear
 
Beatworld's Avatar
I've got a demo of Pi and Phi up and running now as well as the Blue EQ.
Subtle yet certainly something very cool going on here.
Pi and Phi is very clean and precise, with focused presence.
Running them through Plugin Doctor shows some very smooth curves plus very interesting things going on with Colour in the Blue EQ.
These 2 sound very good, will have to try the rest.
Might be good having the Colour control/option in Pi and Phi.
The Colour is a very nice extra in the Blue EQ
Nice work MIA

Last edited by Beatworld; 18th December 2018 at 07:11 AM..
Old 18th December 2018
  #24
Here for the gear
 
MIA Laboratories's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taurean View Post
I think Blue should be re-worded as a single band EQ with 16 frequencies to choose from at any one time. "16-band EQ" sounds a bit misleading. Congrats on the release, will be demo'ing the others soon.
Thanks for your comment, we will work out the text to be more precise.
Thanks again for your support!
Old 18th December 2018
  #25
Here for the gear
 
MIA Laboratories's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatworld View Post
I've got a demo of Pi and Phi up and running now as well as the Blue EQ.
Subtle yet certainly something very cool going on here.
Pi and Phi is very clean and precise, with focused presence.
Running them through Plugin Doctor shows some very smooth curves plus very interesting things going on with Colour in the Blue EQ.
These 2 sound very good, will have to try the rest.
Might be good having the Colour control/option in Pi and Phi.
The Colour is a very nice extra in the Blue EQ
Nice work MIA

Many thanks Beatworld,

"Might be good having the Colour control/option in Pi and Phi."

That would be an interesting option,
meanwhile, you can use the Musiqual EQs before PiandPhi in your chain to achieve what you have in mind.

Thanks for your support!
Old 20th December 2018
  #26
Lives for gear
I posted a review of the Musiqual EQ Bundle if anyone is interested:

MIA Laboratories Musiqual Series BUNDLE SE
Old 21st December 2018
  #27
Lives for gear
 
Arionas's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarsBot View Post
I posted a review of the Musiqual EQ Bundle if anyone is interested:

MIA Laboratories Musiqual Series BUNDLE SE
Very nice and helpful review. I agree 100% with your suggestions.
Old 29th December 2018
  #28
Here for the gear
 
MIA Laboratories's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarsBot View Post
I posted a review of the Musiqual EQ Bundle if anyone is interested:

MIA Laboratories Musiqual Series BUNDLE SE
Many thanks MarsBot!
Much appreciated!
Old 30th January 2019
  #29
Gear Nut
I'm demoing these and love the sound. Are there plans to put an output gain knob in Red, Blue, and Green? It seems like the type of plugin that warrants one.
Old 30th January 2019
  #30
Deleted e71ab78
Guest
How long is the sale on for? Just downloaded the trials.

Edit - the ilok setup for the trial doesn't give me an option for a location to install, never had that before..
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump