The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MIA Laboratories First Update! Pi and Phi MkII is here!
Old 26th April 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by V4nger View Post
Hi. I use these things plenty. For me, Pi/Phi is only for the master channel. I will use the Blue on the master sometimes too for some broad shaping.

These plugins are truly unique toneshapers and are definitely worth trying.

The Musiquals are saturation free with 0 colour. With colour on the amount of saturation and EQ curve-bending increases with gain. 0 gain = 0 saturation.

With greater amounts of colour the original curves turn into highly resonant and unique curves capable of accentuating areas of the spectrum far away from the initial frequency. For example, boosting the 18K band on the Blue with high colour will create a curve which extends far into the mid range and even lower mids, shaping the entire spectrum with a pleasant and musical curve. Higher settings of gain will begin boosting mid range frequencies while smoothing the high end. This is all by ear, I'm not much into analysing stuff, I don't use Plugin Doctor for instance.

An interesting element to consider is that Pi/Phi is designed to act as a kind of enhancer of the Musiqual plugins meaning that it works best when placed afterwards in the chain. This is partly the reason I only use it on the mixbus cos it then enhances the effect of any of the Musiqual EQs I have used in the mix. I'm not entirely sure how it works but that's what the creators intend for combined use. Musiqual EQs first, Pi/Phi afterwards.

Watch out, Pi/Phi has a few ms of delay which doesn't seem to be compensated by PDC... Yet another reason I only use it on the master. Great sounding plugins

Thanks for the info - much more useful than marketing blurb. That is pretty much what i picked up from using them (briefly)
it is crazy how the pi/phi reacts afterwards in the chain. I have it on my busses at the moment (drums/synth etc) it is a bit of a shame about the latency - i will do some tests later. But the way i have it set up, everything will go through one buss with pi/phi on so the latency should be the same for all mix elements. Very unique mixing tool. It is really nice to see someone attempting something a little different!!

These are great mix plugs. For me using the single band tone shapers on individual elements - which then get sent to a set of busses - with pi/phi on...pure magic.

I can do all my programming / sound design....get the track to a good place, then activate all of the MIA stuff and in ten mins i can lift bits out of the mix, create space, add sheen. It is quite awesome.
Old 26th April 2019
Lives for gear

Really happy to see that you're getting along with them.

There are a few updates on the way sometime this year with the Blue EQ recieving shelves and they have just officially announced a new compressor. Very vibey thing actually with some powerful features and a recognisable MIA Labs sound imprint when using the 'simulated' compression models.

Old 2nd May 2019
Gear Addict

I picked up the Musiqual SE bundle. I was already using pi/phi and have been quite impressed with it. I wanted to report on my findings of these products after exploring them with DDMF's PluginDoctor. Normally I'd do comprehensive screen shots and analysis but for now...

These EQs actually don't increase harmonics when COLOUR is increased. The EQs do generate harmonics but they appear to be constant despite settings. Also, they appear to be dynamic in that they change over time. When COLOUR is set to 0 the EQ curve is as-normal. However, as you change f the gain and q may change. It's different for each of the 3 EQs.

Also, as you do a cut or boost each EQ will generate a set of other complex curves around the set f cut/boost. There is also a minor phase change. I am not sure if its using analogue or minimal phase but it's something along those lines.

I would encourage you to get a copy of PluginDoctor to examine yourself. I think to demonstrate these EQs would require a video showing how PluginDoctor responds. Perhaps I will put one of those together.

Pi/Phi is similar in that each control creates a unique curve that may be asymetrical etc.

It seems like these tools are "tuned" by ear to impare their intended character. This is a good thing because music is just sound until the human brain processes as music.

Very interesting and effective tools based on perception.
Old 2nd May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by plexus View Post
I picked up the Musiqual SE bundle. I was already using pi/phi and have been quite impressed with it. I wanted to report on my findings of these products after exploring them with DDMF's PluginDoctor. Normally I'd do comprehensive screen shots and analysis but for now...

These EQs actually don't increase harmonics when COLOUR is increased. The EQs do generate harmonics but they appear to be constant despite settings. Also, they appear to be dynamic in that they change over time. When COLOUR is set to 0 the EQ curve is as-normal. However, as you change f the gain and q may change. It's different for each of the 3 EQs.

Also, as you do a cut or boost each EQ will generate a set of other complex curves around the set f cut/boost. There is also a minor phase change. I am not sure if its using analogue or minimal phase but it's something along those lines.

I would encourage you to get a copy of PluginDoctor to examine yourself. I think to demonstrate these EQs would require a video showing how PluginDoctor responds. Perhaps I will put one of those together.

Pi/Phi is similar in that each control creates a unique curve that may be asymetrical etc.

It seems like these tools are "tuned" by ear to impare their intended character. This is a good thing because music is just sound until the human brain processes as music.

Very interesting and effective tools based on perception.
Thanks for sharing us your findings!

"It seems like these tools are "tuned" by ear to impare their intended character. This is a good thing because music is just sound until the human brain processes as music."
This is one of the greatest words I've read in Gearslutz over the years.
Old 3rd May 2019
Gear Addict

Here's the video. I run through the 3 EQs and pi/phi using plugin doctor. I go through all the relevant tests and twiddle the knobs. The music is just there for something to listen to - its not being processed. The music tracks were mastered using the MIA plugins.

Please consider subscribing!

Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by denork View Post
For how long?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Mato View Post
For how long?
I don't know, so do it as soon as possible hehehe
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by denork View Post
I don't know, so do it as soon as possible hehehe

I did the only right thing and bought it
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search