The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MIDIbox SEQ v4+ ... DIY Open Source 16 track Polyphonic MIDI Sequencer Sequencers (HW)
Old 6th December 2018
Here for the gear

MIDIbox SEQ v4+ ... DIY Open Source 16 track Polyphonic MIDI Sequencer

Specs and Info:
midiphy Seq v4+, european MIDIbox shop, MBSEQ, DIY MIDI & audio studio electronics, PCBs & parts

Left Handed Version - Emerald LED colour scheme

Right Handed Version - Cyan LED Colour scheme - *unlabelled protoype*

Rear Panel:

Hi gearheads,
This is Adrian the social media manager for midiphy.com, long time lurker first time poster!

I just wanted to share the latest version of the MIDIbox SEQ v4, the SEQ v4+ which is releasing imminently.

The MIDIbox SEQ was originally created by Thorsten Klose (TK) founder of MIDIbox.org.
The current hardware redesign was done by Andy (Latgid On),
and the case design was done by Adrian Hallik of Hallik Engineering.
There is also 2 awesome step-by-step build tutorial videos by Peter (Hawkeye) who also runs the midiphy shop, which are embedded at the end of this post.

The MIDIbox SEQ v4+ is a DIY Open Source and Non-Commercial 16 Track Polyphonic Hardware Sequencer.
However, there may be approved builders on the midibox.org forums offering to build it for people who lack soldering skills.

The cases are currently in transit and should be in stock on the midiphy Shop next week.

Customers will be able to order a Left Handed or Right Handed case.

There are partial Kits currently in stock also:
The rest of the components required are available in the BOM (Bill of Materials) which can be imported directly to Mouser.

For people who are not comfortable soldering SMT parts, I have created a video guide to soldering SMT parts using Hot Air and Solder Paste, which is my prefered method as I find it easier than using a Soldering Iron.

Love Eurorack?
As well as being a desktop MIDI Sequencer, the MIDIbox SEQ v4+ will be rackmountable with the addition of a Rack Mount Kit which will be available to buy from the shop in the future.
Its possible to build an additional module also which allow CV and Gate Out, which will use the DB25 connector / expansion port at the rear of the case.

Here you can see how the case will support both Eurorack and Desktop modes:

And here you can see the included blanking panels which hide the cutouts for Eurorack when using the Sequencer in desktop mode:

Finally here is Part 1 and Part 2 of the Build Tutorial created by Peter (Hawkeye), check out the introduction in Part 1 and Part 2 to see how the case evolved:

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask!

And don't forget to give us a like on the midiphy Facebook page.
Old 6th December 2018
Gear Addict

Please don't use blue leds.
Old 6th December 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by and you know View Post
Please don't use blue leds.
Fortunately the superflux LEDs which illuminate the Mathias mechanical switches are RGB so builders can customize the colour scheme.

The other LEDs are standard LEDs and the shop will allow people to order them in Green, Red, Blue, White and Orange.

I'll be building one with the Emerald Green colour scheme as I personally don't like blue LEDs either, higher resistor values can be used to decrease the brightness however, so that whichever colour you choose, it will not be too bright.
Old 6th December 2018
Lives for gear
Isn't left right and right left?
Old 6th December 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by earwolf View Post
Isn't left right and right left?
The naming convention of the left and right handed version are related to the hand you use for turning the jog wheel and using the menu and playback buttons.

It's not related to which hand you use to play the keyboard, so your keyboard hand will be the opposite obviously.

We feel it will cause less confusion that way, that the left hand version means those controls are on the left side and vice versa.
Old 10th December 2018
Here for the gear

Here's a video of TK playing back a track live on a caseless prototype of the SEQ V4+:

Old 15th December 2018
Here for the gear

A first batch of SEQ v4+ cases arrived and is now listed the shop. Left Handed and Right Handed variants are available. Follow-up batches have been ordered by Hallik Engineering, so the availability situation should improve over time. And, we've also bundled all three kits (Core, UI, Case) into superkits, allowing you to get a full essential parts package of your favourite sequencer!
Happy Holidays! :-)

midiphy - Essential Kits - MIDIbox shop, DIY MIDI & audio studio electronics, PCBs & parts
Old 16th December 2018
Lives for gear

This is absolutely beautiful! I love the design.
Old 18th December 2018
Lives for gear

I might just get one to support a manufacturer who made a left handed version.
Old 5th January 2019
Here for the gear

Thanks for the kind words guys!

MIDIbox founder and creator of the original SEQ V1,v2,v3 and v4 - Thorsten Klose (TK) has released a beautiful demo of his finished MIDIbox SEQ V4+.

Be sure to check out the live tweaking of notes within a scale, step length, MIDI delays etc.. later on in the video!

Old 5th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by waveformIRL View Post
Thanks for the kind words guys!

MIDIbox founder and creator of the original SEQ V1,v2,v3 and v4 - Thorsten Klose (TK) has released a beautiful demo of his finished MIDIbox SEQ V4+.

Be sure to check out the live tweaking of notes within a scale, step length, MIDI delays etc.. later on in the video!

so what does this do over the cirklon? (apart from interface)

from what i have just read it has a bunch of user scales and chords (yes!)

but doesnt have the accumulator functions?

and different amounts of patterns/channels etc
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasseru View Post
so what does this do over the cirklon? (apart from interface)

from what i have just read it has a bunch of user scales and chords (yes!)

but doesnt have the accumulator functions?

and different amounts of patterns/channels etc

Right, I am thinking of doing the kit myself. Now, difference to cirklon is the price, approx 3 times cheaper to start with...

Other functions can be probably added, not sure if the code to MIOS is open source, as that needs to be clarified
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head
Hi @waveformIRL,

What happened with LH Case? Does it sold out recently, is next batch imminent oraz what? I checked few days before and there was no stock for any Case and today you have only RH Case. How long until next batch of LH Cases will be supplied? I need to know, if I should wait or grab what's left.

Best Regards,
Norman
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by normanion View Post
Hi @waveformIRL,

What happened with LH Case? Does it sold out recently, is next batch imminent oraz what? I checked few days before and there was no stock for any Case and today you have only RH Case. How long until next batch of LH Cases will be supplied? I need to know, if I should wait or grab what's left.

Best Regards,
Norman
Hi guys,
Both the LH and RH cases came back in stock on the 19th of February and the LH cases sold out.

I have asked Peter when the estimated arrival for new cases including LH cases and will update the thread when he answers.

I think the plan is to ramp up the production of cases so the next order should be larger if everything goes correctly.

In other news Andy has created a prototype midiphy gates / clocks module for you Eurorack lovers. So a nice compact CV solution will be on the way soon.

You can read more about it here:

midiphy gates/clocks module - MIDIbox SEQ - MIDIbox Forum
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Peter said that the next batch of cases should be in stock at the end of March.

Personally I went for the RH case so the jog wheel controls will be in the centre of my keyboard underneath and my Roland TR-8S will be on the right hand side of the SEQ.

Heres a little mock-up of how it will look:

MIDIbox SEQ v4+ ... DIY Open Source 16 track Polyphonic MIDI Sequencer-received_281092939213111.jpg

I think it's a good trade off as I can use either hand on the jog wheel controls.

Basslines can be played on the left hand and melodies on the right.
Attached Thumbnails
MIDIbox SEQ v4+ ... DIY Open Source 16 track Polyphonic MIDI Sequencer-received_281092939213111.jpg  
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search