The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
El Rey is finally out - Greg Wells' Signature Tube compressor plugin Dynamics Plugins
Old 24th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
While "more CPU usage does NOT automatically equal better sound," it's also true that the area most open to real innovation IS greater CPU usage than was practical five or ten years ago.
Of course --> doing more because you have more available resources is fundamental of moving the ball forward in any genre, but in the highly competitive market of audio plugins, you must also consider how to stay on the lean side of what a practical computer can support. I'd love a 1:1 Bricasti, but it would be far from practical to dedicate my DAW to a single plugin. Others have discovered ways to build amazing alternatives to the M7 which give up a small amount auditorily but massive amounts computationally.
Old 24th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
Had someone suggested such a thing it would indeed have been ignorant. However, if we'd rather focus on the points that have been made, there's little reason nor need to make excuses for the large demands of AA's products. If it's too much to merit the sound, don't buy them. This is why we use the available demos before committing. On the other hand, if the dollar and CPU costs are valid in your case, drop the credit card and be happy with the new tool.

But neither scenario revokes a user's (existing -or- potential) right to voice their opinion about the CPU hit, and ill-formed comparisons which intentionally confuse gas and electric architectures purely for the sake of drama are only designed to hush those opinions and prevent uncomfortable feedback. Attempted censorship, or ridicule, especially in this case, seems like an odd method for making a point which doesn't need to be made in the first place.
I don't believe that disagreeing, and attempting to illustrate why I disagree, is a form of censor . . . I believe it's debate.

(OT - I was sure that there existed a GS "smilie" of a dead horse being beaten . . . was I just imagining that?)

Anyhoo, we disagree on the validity (and/or usefulness) of complaining about the CPU demands of AA plugins. You think it makes sense, and/or is helpful . . . and I think it's like complaining that your GTO gets poor gas mileage. Either way it's no biggie, and please believe that there's no intended malice from my end.
Old 25th February 2019
Lives for gear

All good -- I never take any of these discussions personally. Different courses for different horses (there's no smilie of that equine either).
Old 2nd March 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjmwpg View Post
Making the point that AA plugins are CPU heavy is like buying the vintage sports car you’ve always dreamed of and then commenting that it uses more gas than your Toyota Yaris . . . No s#!t.
Sounds like when all arguments against AA runs out then cpu card can always be pulled but it's already gotten so old ..meh. They are in plugin market but thats not telling all of the story, i see them as holding the monopol in their slot, thus the high prices.
Old 2nd March 2019
Gear Maniac

I think using Cuda from GTX or RTX Nvidia graphics cards should be looked into again.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Since it's been a few months how is El Rey settling in for everyone in day to day use?

Personally I have found greatest use for it by adding it as a second compressor on my master bus, giving a slight sheen to the overall mix. I'd love to mix into it, but as an AA plugin, the CPU requirements are just too high for me to have the zero latency option on the bus while mixing and recording.

Ive also enjoyed using it to fatten up the bass, like with electric bass tones.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I don't use it much these days. It sounds very good but the bass boost, intense latency and hit to the CPU make it less appealing today than it was during the honeymoon. A less-taxing version would be far more appealing.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Yeah I don't know why the Magenta strip, using the EQ and Comp, isn't crushing my CPU at all. EL Ray grinds it to a halt.
When El Ray works on a track though, it really works well.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Just use it yesterday on my Orchestral Bus group. And Magenta4 C2 compressor on Master Bus after bx_digital EQ and before Green EQ.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Yup! TimP's RA6 is out now which has better compression (especially at high GR), but El Rey is a finishing touch/tone/weight machine that I still love.

Especially on vocals. Worth it just for that.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by guavadude View Post
Yeah I don't know why the Magenta strip, using the EQ and Comp, isn't crushing my CPU at all. EL Ray grinds it to a halt.
When El Ray works on a track though, it really works well.
Really Magenta isn't that demanding on the cpu ?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelieR View Post
Really Magenta isn't that demanding on the cpu ?
I’m only just now demoing Magenta but my initial uses on the mix bus have been exceptional. I need to do a back to back comparison of CPU hit with El Ray.
I haven’t tried all of the AA offerings but so far Magenta and El Ray are the two I’ve found most impressive and they compliment each other well. Add the Purple EQs in there too to round it out.

I was going to say that I’m fairly new to Acustica plugins but I tried them out four years ago and didn’t like them. Too much cpu, too much lag on knob changes, pain to install and authorize. They’ve really come a LONG way in that time. Unfortunately my MacPro hasn’t.

Last edited by guavadude; 1 week ago at 01:57 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Yep, using El Rey here sometimes. I think it is the only AA compressor that I use on tracks. On buses I like some of them.

Anyway, I like El Rey color and action, just have to take care with the low end cumulative effect.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by guavadude View Post
I’m only just now demoing Magenta but my initial uses on the mix bus have been exceptional. I need to do a back to back comparison of CPU hit with El Ray.
I haven’t tried all of the AA offerings but so far Magenta and El Ray are the two I’ve found most impressive and they compliment each other well. Add the Purple EQs in there too to round it out.

I was going to say that I’m fairly new to Acustica plugins but I tried them out four years ago and didn’t like them. Too much cpu, too much lag on knob changes, pain to install and authorize. They’ve really come a LONG way in that time. Unfortunately my MacPro hasn’t.
Alright, the CPU hits is always what stopped me to use them.
And also the lags, bugs (echo bugs etc...) and the not so amazing sound sometimes.
So curious about Magenta because I do think that those type of units (Vari-Mu) are still not very well emulated in the plugin world.
Old 1 week ago
adl
Gear Addict

I am selling my license of El Rey.
License transfer is 25€, which will be covered by me. If anybody is interested, hit me up with a pm for further details.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by adl View Post
I am selling my license of El Rey.
License transfer is 25€, which will be covered by me. If anybody is interested, hit me up with a pm for further details.
That's if you paid full price for it. In case you purchased with a discount, you'll have to pay the difference to MSRP back to Acustica
Old 1 week ago
adl
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacertotambem View Post
That's if you paid full price for it. In case you purchased with a discount, you'll have to pay the difference to MSRP back to Acustica
I raised a ticket with this information as I was interested on how much I have to pay and that's what they told me (25€).
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I raised a ticket with this information as I was interested on how much I have to pay and that's what they told me (25€).
Did you pay full price for the item?
Old 1 week ago
adl
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacertotambem View Post
Did you pay full price for the item?
I cleared everything with acustica audio and can proof that with Screenshots of their email. That's all I will tell you about that matter.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I cleared everything with acustica audio and can proof that with Screenshots of their email. That's all I will tell you about that matter.
Fair enough ninja.

Anyone from Acustica can clarify if there was any recent changes to their resale policy? You might get some customers if that's the case, so you might as well let everyone know.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search