Acustica Audio releases TAUPE: "The king of sample-based analog tape plugins" - Page 40 - Gearslutz
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Acustica Audio releases TAUPE: "The king of sample-based analog tape plugins"
Old 20th January 2020
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by sound_of_ours View Post
Are you telling me all the manuals have this information clearly stated in them? You know this for a fact?

Is it in a consistent place? What page?

Please let us know these answers.

Because once you give us the answer, I will actually make the list and share it.
Look what level other than -18 is subjective. AA plug ins are not really interpretations. They are snapshots of actual gear. They don't like hot levels because they aren't made to handle them. They do not sound good distorted. Not really hard to understand.

Why don't you try different levels and say what you like? That would be useful, but personally I am conservative in levels. Celestial is interesting since it is made to address distortion and harmonics. There are a couple of others and you might want to explore them especially since Celestial is free......
Old 20th January 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardis View Post
Look what level other than -18 is subjective. AA plug ins are not really interpretations. They are snapshots of actual gear. They don't like hot levels because they aren't made to handle them. They do not sound good distorted. Not really hard to understand.

Why don't you try different levels and say what you like? That would be useful, but personally I am conservative in levels. Celestial is interesting since it is made to address distortion and harmonics. There are a couple of others and you might want to explore them especially since Celestial is free......
It is not that simple. The harmonics are activated at optimal levels. If you don't know the optimal level, then you don't know if the harmonics are being activated at levels true to the hardware. Ideally the optimal level would be printed on the interface so that the user does not have to do an analysis of each plugin. Currently some of the plugins are optimized at 0 dbfs and some at -18. Which ones? We don't know.

I am on your side, sir. You just don't know it yet.
Old 20th January 2020
Gear Guru
Quote:
It is not that simple. The harmonics are activated at optimal levels. If you don't know the optimal level, then you don't know if the harmonics are being activated at levels true to the hardware. Ideally the optimal level would be printed on the interface so that the user does not have to do an analysis of each plugin. Currently some of the plugins are optimized at 0 dbfs and some at -18. Which ones? We don't know.

No argument here! Are you sure when they say 0 that they aren't meaning -18? I do know every time I've tried hitting my Aquarius emulations hard they don't like it.... I usually use the Hornet VU meter to set going in which is helpful....

I only have four emulations Taupe, Ceil, Gold, and Diamond. ElRey on sale is mighty tempting tho!.......maybe others can weigh in on input levels.....
Old 2nd March 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutetourettes View Post
well the bias tones tend to be much higher frequency than the heads can usefully reproduce on all but the very finest machines - the plangent process (which does indeed use the bias tone) relies on very very special playback heads and electronics as far as I'm aware, so wouldn't really match the 'recording the characteristics of the deck' that is needed here.

Straightening out the wow and flutter is exactly what plangent/capstan are trying to do - it should provide a less 'hashy' more faithful representation of the test signal, so just the tape effects, not the scrape effects. Capstan looks for 'notes' in the digital captured files, and 'works out' what speed wobbles might have happened during record and then playback and attempts to compensate for them with tricky highly variable SRC. So If Acustica recorded e.g. a 12kHz tone alongside their test tones on another track, Capstan would be able to track that tone even from the shoddiest tapedeck and rebuild the non-wowy signal. It can then apply that correction to other files, ie the actual interesting test signal. aint cheap, though.
Plangent could easily track a 12K tone or any other a priori tone. Capstan won't -it relies on complex musical material to deduce what it thinks the pitch should be then autotunes it. It mistriggers on vibrato and it forces a chromatic scale, so a glissando becomes a chromatic run.
Old 2nd March 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiehowarth View Post
Plangent could easily track a 12K tone or any other a priori tone. Capstan won't -it relies on complex musical material to deduce what it thinks the pitch should be then autotunes it. It mistriggers on vibrato and it forces a chromatic scale, so a glissando becomes a chromatic run.
Hi Jamie - really? capstan can't track a stable tone? surely it can? and that tracking data can then be applied to the other channels (e.g. on a multitrack)
Old 2nd March 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardis View Post
Quote:

No argument here! Are you sure when they say 0 that they aren't meaning -18? I do know every time I've tried hitting my Aquarius emulations hard they don't like it.... I usually use the Hornet VU meter to set going in which is helpful....
Coming in hot is probably where the IK Tapes have the advantage over something like TAUPE.
Old 2nd March 2020
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by electro View Post
Coming in hot is probably where the IK Tapes have the advantage over something like TAUPE.
FWIW use both together. Taupe has a wonderful solid sound and Ik does polish. Strangely not loving the driving IK. Prefer doing that w/saturation tools....But hard to work with since the cpu hit is insane.....they do work great together and Taupe has an amazing range.....
Old 2nd March 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutetourettes View Post
Hi Jamie - really? capstan can't track a stable tone? surely it can? and that tracking data can then be applied to the other channels (e.g. on a multitrack)
It doesn’t seem to like single tones. In fact used that way crosses over our patent as does CEDAR’s ReSpeed.
Old 2nd March 2020
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by electro View Post
i haven't had any problems hitting taupe with hot signals near 0db and then pushing the input into further saturation/compression (the nature of this saturation varies by preset). i tested it against IK tapes before purchasing and in almost every case preferred the sound and ease of use of taupe.
Old 31st March 2020
Company Rep

#mixfromhome special

Featured deal: Taupe
#mixfromhome - Taupe gives you access to the sound of over 20 tape machines, 3 consoles, and 2 compressors. All in one place.

https://www.acustica-audio.com/store/products/taupe

Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

How do these compare sonically to the IK tapes? The IK ones are the first algos that made me feel remotely like i was listening to actual tape. There are others i enjoy for saturation fx but not realistic tape machines.
Old 2 weeks ago
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Carlyon View Post
How do these compare sonically to the IK tapes? The IK ones are the first algos that made me feel remotely like i was listening to actual tape. There are others i enjoy for saturation fx but not realistic tape machines.
I may be a little biased, but personally one of my favorite plugins from Acustica. You should install the trial and test, just the A0 preset on the master can do wonders.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Carlyon View Post
They are different since Taupe offers a multitude of different flavors, plus you have EQ and MCI and Studer compressors:

EQ A - MCI JH-500
EQ B - MCI JH-600
EQ C - Studer 900
Compressor / Limiter: Studer 900
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
i demo'd both before buying taupe - they both sound fantastic and provide a front-to-back depth that is hard to get with other plugins, but i much preferred the workflow and versatility of taupe. and when you factor in the EQs it was a no brainer for me.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Will try soon, planning on getting a bunch around sale time - diamond, fearn eq, big ceil...will add this to my list to try.

Really enjoying the ones i am demoing at the moment.
📝 Reply