The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Acustica Audio releases TAUPE: "The king of sample-based analog tape plugins"
Old 23rd February 2019
Lives for gear
How was this sampled without any typical tape hiss? I wish there was a hiss feature. Will a hiss control be added in a future update?
Old 25th February 2019
mpr
Lives for gear

I've been trying to use Taupe in mastering since its release and have had some success with the 820 @ 30ips on a few records, but man I would love the ATR102 in there. If done correctly with the right tape formulations, I know I would use it a lot more than anything currently in there, and I think many people would as well.

IMO the ATR is a superior machine for layback mastering because the reduction comes on so musically, gently working jumpy peaks closer to RMS, and the response with many formulations is perfectly suitable for modern mastering imo. Taupe has proven itself to be incredibly capable at analog reproduction and not having the ATR is a glaring omission!
Old 25th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpr View Post
I've been trying to use Taupe in mastering since its release and have had some success with the 820 @ 30ips on a few records, but man I would love the ATR102 in there. If done correctly with the right tape formulations, I know I would use it a lot more than anything currently in there, and I think many people would as well.

IMO the ATR is a superior machine for layback mastering because the reduction comes on so musically, gently working jumpy peaks closer to RMS, and the response with many formulations is perfectly suitable for modern mastering imo. Taupe has proven itself to be incredibly capable at analog reproduction and not having the ATR is a glaring omission!
Have you tried this Mark?

AlexB Audio Engineering by Alessandro Boschi - ATE Analog Tape Emulator - Nebula Programs

Often reach for that when (practicing) mastering over Taupe. Taupe for mixing.
Old 26th February 2019
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diegel View Post
How was this sampled without any typical tape hiss? I wish there was a hiss feature. Will a hiss control be added in a future update?
XLN RC20's an awesome sidekick for Taupe.
Old 26th February 2019
Gear Maniac
Quote:
man I would love the ATR102 in there.
You and me both.... Was surprised Taupe didn't include a few iconic 2 track master tape machines like the ATR...
Also wish the behavior was more dynamic... The saturation and dynamic behavior's nice but each machine does feel like it's statics, i.e. a single IR file... whereas the color a tape machine imparts changes depending on how hard you hit it....
Old 26th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post

AlexB Audio Engineering by Alessandro Boschi - ATE Analog Tape Emulator - Nebula Programs

Just bought that after having my eye on it for a while. Gonna check it out in mastering
Old 26th February 2019
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by V4nger View Post
Just bought that after having my eye on it for a while. Gonna check it out in mastering
Quite a fan of it
Old 26th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Try Ampex 351: Tape 2 @ 15 ips with -10 input (center dial)

Last edited by b0se; 26th February 2019 at 04:59 PM..
Old 26th February 2019
Lives for gear

Well... I haven't tried it in a mastering context just yet. Did try it quick around lunch time on a nice, clean dnb break sample. Truly awesome, very big sounding and extremely smooth. Dimensional as well. Nine different program combos and 3 different tapes in each magnetic head. So cool!

Really looking forward to using it on full mixes.

Will check out the recommendation b0se.
Old 26th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well... I haven't tried it in a mastering context just yet. Did try it quick around lunch time on a nice, clean dnb break sample. Truly awesome, very big sounding and extremely smooth. Dimensional as well. Nine different program combos and 3 different tapes in each magnetic head. So cool!

Really looking forward to using it on full mixes.

Will check out the recommendation b0se.
Have fun! :¬)

I forgot to mention the above settings were for the Ampex 351.
Old 26th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Have fun! :¬)

I forgot to mention the above settings were for the Ampex 351.
Ace, thanks mate.

Edit: ahhh, this thing is great, pretty decent CPU usage as well so I feel happy using on the master channel even on a heavy mix.

I also missed the fact that there are actuall FOUR different Magnetic Head programs! Awesome.

351/7.5IPS/Tape3 with -3 Input and Tube Line with 1.2db of GDrive with my gainstaging works beautifully on this track... Very fat!

This library absolutely slays harshness in the high mids, sounding transparent and musical at the same time. Incredible density as well, I love it when a nebula library brings out all the vibey movement between the elements which was always there before yet without that solid glue factor.

A great new tool for the toolbox. I love nebula tape libraries!
Old 27th February 2019
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Did try it quick around lunch time on a nice, clean dnb break sample.
Nice to see another dnb fan
Old 27th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedsdeadbaby View Post
Nice to see another dnb fan
Yeah man, one of the Arkaik breaks from Samplegenie.
Old 27th February 2019
mpr
Lives for gear

Quote:

I haven't opened up Nebula in years, but if this is that good then maybe its worth exploring again! Have you been able to use the wet/dry knob in Reaper on ATE without any phasing?

And fwiw, if Acustica (or any Nebula devs) are ever in LA sampling new hardware, they are welcome to come sample my ATR-102 1/2" and Stephens 821b 2" 24 track machines. Both in excellent condition and ready to rock.
Attached Thumbnails
Acustica Audio releases TAUPE: "The king of sample-based analog tape plugins"-img_0649.jpg   Acustica Audio releases TAUPE: "The king of sample-based analog tape plugins"-img_0602-2.jpg  
Old 27th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I haven't opened up Nebula in years, but if this is that good then maybe its worth exploring again! Have you been able to use the wet/dry knob in Reaper on ATE without any phasing?

And fwiw, if Acustica (or any Nebula devs) are ever in LA sampling new hardware, they are welcome to come sample my ATR-102 1/2" and Stephens 821b 2" 24 track machines. Both in excellent condition and ready to rock.
I've only used ATE at 100% wet, I'll give it a pop to see. It has the ATR-102 also btw. If you want I can run a file through it for you.
Old 28th February 2019
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Yeah man, one of the Arkaik breaks from Samplegenie.
Ha! LOVE his tracks. Sample Genie's kind of spectacular as well
Old 28th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diegel View Post
and how hard can you drive saturation?
Old 5th March 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Try Ampex 351: Tape 2 @ 15 ips with -10 input (center dial)
Sheesh, this is good! Thanks for the tip, just nabbed the library and gave it a go.. Goes straight into my 'mixing secrets' bin
Old 7th March 2019
mpr
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've only used ATE at 100% wet, I'll give it a pop to see. It has the ATR-102 also btw. If you want I can run a file through it for you.
Whoops didn't see this. Yes I'd love to hear it on something I know well, something raw. Thanks!
Old 7th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Whoops didn't see this. Yes I'd love to hear it on something I know well, something raw. Thanks!
Sure, ping me a PM.
Old 7th March 2019
Gear Nut
Quote:
Sure, ping me a PM.
If you can, and the owner allows - could you post both with and without versions somewhere?
Old 10th May 2019
Guys, so which tape machine in Taupe are you guys finding best suited for printing all clean recorded tracks through and then start mixing?
Old 10th May 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by theguitarfreak View Post
Guys, so which tape machine in Taupe are you guys finding best suited for printing all clean recorded tracks through and then start mixing?
I’ve heard people say A0 and A1
Old 11th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theguitarfreak View Post
also, B 2-3....7-8

Here's the Aqua list and Taupe lists all the machines and variations.
Old 15th May 2019
Gear Maniac

some Taupe vs. Zulu mix comparison would be nice.....
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Does Taupe not offer tape compression? I read a post on a forum recently saying it's basically just for different box tones... (this is in relation to the Tape module, not the Compressor module lol)
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyflip View Post
Does Taupe not offer tape compression? I read a post on a forum recently saying it's basically just for different box tones... (this is in relation to the Tape module, not the Compressor module lol)
Yes, it does tape compression. A lot, in fact, you just have to adjust the input.

But you can also turn off the tape compression activating the "econo" mode.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOh View Post
Yes, it does tape compression. A lot, in fact, you just have to adjust the input.

But you can also turn off the tape compression activating the "econo" mode.
Thanks, that's what I presumed. Damn, so much misinfo out there
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhysmix View Post
Acustica plugins are based on impulse response convolution, very much like convolution reverb. The stock IR library for Altiverb, for example, is some gigabytes in size, and also consists of dozens of additional files; Taupe is much the same (as are all Acustica products).

Yes, Acustica is messy, but if you don’t understand the technology (obvious warts and growing pains and all) then perhaps you should not have installed the software without reading into it further. It’s not exactly a secret that Acustica is less than seamless; for lots of very talented engineers, that’s a dealbreaker, so they forget it and continue making great mixes without Acustica, but for lots of other very talented engineers it’s just another hassle to work through akin to wrapping cables or routing a patchbay or something.

Everybody — including the devs, who are working on improvements — knows that Aquarius is cryptic and unpolished, but assuming you like the sound, getting bent out of shape over a ten minute process you do once is difficult to sympathize with.

If you are interested in learning how to minimize the various difficulties associated with using Acustica plugs, search for any questions you have with the Search Thread tool over in the 500+ page general Acustica thread (I forget the exact name of the thread, but “Acustica general discussion gearslutz” should be enough for Google to find it).

For what it’s worth, so far the overhelming majority of the Acquas I have tried have not moved me to the point of purchase, but I am very glad to have the handful of Acquas that I do own.
very nice language, you are a gentleman(woman)
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by broco View Post
some Taupe vs. Zulu mix comparison would be nice.....
This would be awesome, if an owner of both could A/B them.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search