The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Universal Audio releases AMS Neve DFC Channel Strip Plug-In
Old 8th November 2018
News Desk Editor

Universal Audio releases AMS Neve DFC Channel Strip Plug-In

Universal Audio releases AMS Neve DFC Channel Strip Plug-In-ams_neve_dfc_channel_strip_carousel_1.jpg

Universal Audio releases AMS Neve DFC Channel Strip

The AMS Neve Digital Film Console is the ultimate, purpose-built console for multi-format film dubbing and TV post production. Used to mix Oscar-winning soundtracks and countless hit TV shows, the AMS Neve DFC resides in the world’s leading post-production houses, most notably Skywalker Sound and Warner Bros. facilities. Available exclusively for UAD-2 and UA Audio Interfaces, the AMS Neve DFC Channel Strip plug-in offers access to the exact same DSP algorithms from the leading modern post-production console.

AMS Neve DFC Channel Strip Plug-In — Key Features:
  • Access the sound of the AMS Neve Digital Film Console channel strip, the same used in the world's premier motion picture facilities
  • Four bands of fully parametric EQ, plus two bands of 4th-order filtering
  • Compressor, Limiter, Expander, Gate, and Dynamic EQ
Price: $299

For more information: AMS Neve DFC Channel Strip | UAD Audio Plugins | Universal Audio
Attached Thumbnails
Universal Audio releases AMS Neve DFC Channel Strip Plug-In-ams_neve_dfc_channel_strip_carousel_1.jpg  
Old 8th November 2018
Lives for gear

UAD AMS Neve DFC Channel Strip

The AMS Neve® DFC (Digital Film Console) is the ultimate, purpose-built console for multi-format film dubbing and TV post production at the highest level. Used to mix Oscar-winning soundtracks and countless hit TV shows, the AMS Neve DFC resides in the world’s leading post-production houses, most notably Skywalker Sound and Warner Bros. facilities.

Available exclusively for UAD hardware and UA Audio Interfaces, the AMS Neve DFC Channel Strip plug-in offers unprecedented access to the exact same DSP algorithms from the leading modern post production console.

AMS Neve DFC Channel Strip | UAD Audio Plugins | Universal Audio
Old 8th November 2018
Lives for gear

Funny area to get into
But why not ..digital console emu.. Weiss lexicon... ye ol digital is back
Old 8th November 2018
Lives for gear

IIUC this is not an emulation but the exact same DSP code from the neve desks running inside UAD DSP.

Looking forward to checking it out!
Old 8th November 2018
Lives for gear
How many quads do you need to run one of these
Old 8th November 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke View Post
How many quads do you need to run one of these
Mono and Stereo instnaces are essentially the same at roughly 19% so with my Quad Apollo I should get close to 20 instances. I don't see any mention of 5.1/7.1 instances. If they're going after post mixers they should have at least those two.
Old 8th November 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapwatr View Post
Mono and Stereo instnaces are essentially the same at roughly 19% so with my Quad Apollo I should get close to 20 instances. I don't see any mention of 5.1/7.1 instances. If they're going after post mixers they should have at least those two.
thats actually not bad. thats better than the Neve 88RS strip.

Considering you don't want to just use channel strips, but you may have a an amp or other things running on the card.
Old 8th November 2018
Lives for gear
This is actually an impressive strip once you look closely at the details of what it can do.

Very tempting to just go all in on it.
Old 8th November 2018
Lives for gear

I am happy this kind of stuff is coming to the UAD. My bases are kinda covered with the existing "mojo" strips as it is.

20 channels on a quad = acceptable for my modest needs
Old 8th November 2018
Manufacturer

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Yes, this is our most full featured channelstrip and it sounds REALLY good. The compression in particular is VERY transparent and smooth.
Old 8th November 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Universal Audio View Post

Yes, this is our most full featured channelstrip and it sounds REALLY good. The compression in particular is VERY transparent and smooth.
whenever I need to demo these things I take too long to finish a song and the 2 weeks is over. Demo over and replace it and song falls down.

Happens every time.
Old 8th November 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:

I'm looking forward to testing it out. Is it availble as 5.1 instances, and if not, are there plans for? It would be very useful for me and most other tv/film mixers.
Old 8th November 2018
Manufacturer

Quote:
I'm looking forward to testing it out. Is it availble as 5.1 instances, and if not, are there plans for? It would be very useful for me and most other tv/film mixers.
This handled by you DAW. For example, in Pro Tools you'd use a multi-mono instantiation.
Old 8th November 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
This handled by you DAW. For example, in Pro Tools you'd use a multi-mono instantiation.
Yes, i'm aware of multi-mono. I'ts not a deal breaker but I just prefer being able to see all of the visual info, especially for dynamics, on the plug in without having to change which channel I'm viewing.

Last edited by Tapwatr; 8th November 2018 at 09:08 PM..
Old 9th November 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Can’t you just insert a multimono instance of the plugin on a 7.1 channel in Pro Tools?

EDIT. Ahh. Just noticed it was brought up.
Old 9th November 2018
njv
Gear Addict
First impression: Ugliest interface with the sweetest sound. Very smooth sounding.

Now I’m torn as I was just about to dump my uad set up completely. Dam you UAD!!! Lol

Can I get some discount if I buy a 16x ?
Old 9th November 2018
Lives for gear

Does the DFC (the console, not the plug-in) support multichannel side-chains?
Because Pro Tools at this time does not.
This could limit functionality, regardless of the issue whether ADC on sidechains works (it does in some situations).

Another thing to consider is that multi mono instances may not yield the same results as a multichannel instance.
Old 9th November 2018
Gear Addict

Don't be fooled by the name. Though it maybe Neve's Digital Film Console CS, it sounds great as a normal CS for mixing. Just ran the demo though some tracks and it sounds great. Very easy to get the sound i wanted.
Old 9th November 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by njv View Post
First impression: Ugliest interface with the sweetest sound. Very smooth sounding.

Now I’m torn as I was just about to dump my uad set up completely. Dam you UAD!!! Lol

Can I get some discount if I buy a 16x ?
I like the interface, it looks old school.

To your second point. LOL

I don't really have $300 to spend, but I'm going to dig into my couch and see what I find.
Old 9th November 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackmastering View Post
Don't be fooled by the name. Though it maybe Neve's Digital Film Console CS, it sounds great as a normal CS for mixing. Just ran the demo though some tracks and it sounds great. Very easy to get the sound i wanted.
I agree! The original console was never an interest to me. I just tried out the demo for the hell of it. It is amazing at dialing in sounds. Seems to retain transients really well!
Old 9th November 2018
Manufacturer

People don't know or forget just how long Neve has been doing digital!
Old 9th November 2018
Gear Addict

One other thing to point out, its really not bad on the DSP.
I have LoadLock off. Running 4 mono and 1 Stereo plugins with EQ, Filters, and Compressors on all 5 tracks. My DSP is at 23% for a 44.1KHz session on a Quad.
Old 9th November 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackmastering View Post
One other thing to point out, its really not bad on the DSP.
I have LoadLock off. Running 4 mono and 1 Stereo plugins with EQ, Filters, and Compressors on all 5 tracks. My DSP is at 23% for a 44.1KHz session on a Quad.
Love it. Thats great news.

I needed an EQ anyways, so this may be it. I take it, that the EQ is very clean for surgical use?

This looks good for mastering as well.
Old 9th November 2018
Manufacturer

Quote:
I take it, that the EQ is very clean for surgical use?

Yes and yes.
Old 9th November 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Love it. Thats great news.

I take it, that the EQ is very clean for surgical use?

Totally see this as a good mastering tool. Its very clean CS. I would put this is the same regard as the Oxford EQ and Dynamics, both are very high quality digital processing from digital boards.

I havent found any source that this strip cant handle. This is going to be one of those UAD gems.
Old 10th November 2018
Lives for gear
This is a great EQ and filter. I like the compressor too. This may be my favorite UAD channel strip so far. I often need my UAD processors to provide a very good neutral EQ/Comp combination to reduce CPU load on my computer. I was hoping something like this would come along. Just finished a tune using lots of instances of this today and it sounded great. Also, the GUI may be ugly but it's very well designed. It's quick and easy to use.
Old 10th November 2018
Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarsBot View Post
This is a great EQ and filter. I like the compressor too. This may be my favorite UAD channel strip so far. I often need my UAD processors to provide a very good neutral EQ/Comp combination to reduce CPU load on my computer. I was hoping something like this would come along. Just finished a tune using lots of instances of this today and it sounded great. Also, the GUI may be ugly but it's very well designed. It's quick and easy to use.
Excellent! Glad to hear it and thanks for the report.
Old 10th November 2018
Gear Addict
Now it just needs to play well with the Softube Console 1
Old 10th November 2018
Lives for gear

I'm thinking this might be a really good UAD console CS, for doing all the usual "cleanup/fixing" already on the way in. Would save tons of time during mixing
Old 13th November 2018
Gear Addict

Just a question. Are these DSP algorithms from 1996?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search