The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Universal Audio releases AMS Neve DFC Channel Strip Plug-In
Old 5th January 2019
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flippy Floppy View Post
Yup! This is a very high quality channel strip. It has one of the best digital compressors ever! Sounds amazing. The EQ is very responsive as well. Not quite as full featured as the Metric Halo CS3. But very nice overall.
I'd never really gotten on with the CS3 and then I figured out why. Someone in the plugin analysis thread found that it adds low rumble as you subtract it. Something about that being the noise of a DF1 biquad. Try around page 88 if you want to read it yourself. The Pro Tools eq 3/7 does that too. I ran the test on the UAD Cambridge and it passed. Andy from Cytomic gave a lot of info on the problems these old DF1 biquad plugins have. Testing compressors was a lot more complicated. What I love about the DFC is that it is so responsive. You don't end up needing a ton of deep features.
Old 5th January 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by viciousbliss View Post
I'd never really gotten on with the CS3 and then I figured out why. Someone in the plugin analysis thread found that it adds low rumble as you subtract it. Something about that being the noise of a DF1 biquad. Try around page 88 if you want to read it yourself. The Pro Tools eq 3/7 does that too. I ran the test on the UAD Cambridge and it passed. Andy from Cytomic gave a lot of info on the problems these old DF1 biquad plugins have. Testing compressors was a lot more complicated. What I love about the DFC is that it is so responsive. You don't end up needing a ton of deep features.
I've read the same thing about CS3. I confirmed the rumble. I know its there. But damn, I get great results out of that plugin. Love it. Over and over, I'm very happy mixing through this thing. The workflow is amazing.

Just so you know, the rumple isn't audible (about -95db. You can see it with analyzers. But honestly, we would never know its there without looking.
Old 5th January 2019
Lives for gear
Late to the party. Just got the demo going. Only interested in the eq portion as I'm always after the most transparent results. Still not sure where I place it on my list of comparable eqs but it sounds good. Look forward to spending more time with it.

Edit: Man I'm a sucker for transparent musical tools and this is a surprise winner! I haven't purchased anything from UAD in years for various reasons. Although this is digital, I find in addition to it being open, clear and articulate/precise it is also smooth and musical which is a head scratcher. Comparing with Equilibrium which I also have on demo, I found it easier to hear and pull out what I wanted to address in the spectrum whether boost or cut. Boosting btw is a real treat. I literally never boost with digital eqs, DFC is now the exception. Hard to explain how different the boosts sound with what I have or used prior. I'll be blunt, comparing AMS DFC with Equilibrium, Crave, Nectar3, and Magpha ProQ3 leaves me feeling like DFC is its own thing really. Definitely could be used in mastering I'd imagine though.

Last edited by Asher Bay; 6th January 2019 at 03:01 AM..
Old 6th January 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Bay View Post
Late to the party. Just got the demo going. Only interested in the eq portion as I'm always after the most transparent results. Still not sure where I place it on my list of comparable eqs but it sounds good. Look forward to spending more time with it.

Edit: Man I'm a sucker for transparent musical tools and this is a surprise winner! I haven't purchased anything from UAD in years for various reasons. Although this is digital, I find in addition to it being open, clear and articulate/precise it is also smooth and musical which is a head scratcher. Comparing with Equilibrium which I also have on demo, I found it easier to hear and pull out what I wanted to address in the spectrum whether boost or cut. Boosting btw is a real treat. I literally never boost with digital eqs, DFC is now the exception. Hard to explain how different the boosts sound with what I have or used prior. I'll be blunt, comparing AMS DFC with Equilibrium, Crave, Nectar3, and Magpha ProQ3 leaves me feeling like DFC is its own thing really. Definitely could be used in mastering I'd imagine though.
Yes. It's an excellent clean EQ. The filters are also good. The comp alone only works occasionally for me. I rarely use limiters on individual sources, but if you're trying to give something a very in-your-face sound, this limiter can be quite effective in combination with the comp.
Old 6th January 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarsBot View Post
I rarely use limiters on individual sources, but if you're trying to give something a very in-your-face sound, this limiter can be quite effective in combination with the comp.
What about for mastering? I mean it it's a limiter right? or it's not really intended for that purpose?
Old 6th January 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel C Media View Post
What about for mastering? I mean it it's a limiter right? or it's not really intended for that purpose?
I haven't tried it for that, but I don't think it's a brick wall limiter so you would have to manually adjust for overshoots. Honestly, I think one of the many good modern limiters that are designed explicitly for the master buss would be better (Fabfilter, DMGaudio, TBproaudio, etc)
Old 7th January 2019
Gear Addict
Just started experimenting with more compression and gating on this thing. It actually sounds better and better with the increase. Taking the gate down to -80 and the attack and release both at 25. The DFC gate seems to make things sound more organized and pleasant as opposed to cutting out useful things. Comp going to -20 and limiter toward -14. It is a lot more pleasant sounding and keeps my mix together way better than the SSL, 2500, or Distressor. It feels like it can give me the same attitude as those analog comps but without the changes and other things I don't want from them. The analog comps can have such a strong identity that it can be tough to find ways to compensate for the things you don't like them doing. Just a simple chain of Heavyocity Punish-DFC-Weiss DS-1 on the master fader. Replacing Punish with one of the UAD comps was definitely not an improvement.
Old 7th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by viciousbliss View Post
Just started experimenting with more compression and gating on this thing. It actually sounds better and better with the increase. Taking the gate down to -80 and the attack and release both at 25. The DFC gate seems to make things sound more organized and pleasant as opposed to cutting out useful things. Comp going to -20 and limiter toward -14. It is a lot more pleasant sounding and keeps my mix together way better than the SSL, 2500, or Distressor. It feels like it can give me the same attitude as those analog comps but without the changes and other things I don't want from them. The analog comps can have such a strong identity that it can be tough to find ways to compensate for the things you don't like them doing. Just a simple chain of Heavyocity Punish-DFC-Weiss DS-1 on the master fader. Replacing Punish with one of the UAD comps was definitely not an improvement.
Punish into Weiss, hadn't thought of that. Time to test!
Old 7th January 2019
Manufacturer

Excellent feedback guys!!

Thanks for putting it through its paces and reporting your thoughts here.
Old 7th January 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarsBot View Post
Yes. It's an excellent clean EQ. The filters are also good. The comp alone only works occasionally for me. I rarely use limiters on individual sources, but if you're trying to give something a very in-your-face sound, this limiter can be quite effective in combination with the comp.
YUP. Im currently bewitched by the EQ portion so I still haven't had the chance to dive into the compressor. Filters are indeed very good as well. Enjoying them as much as those including the Chop Shop atm. I probably won't jump at a purchase until next year same time but forsee it being a go to from then on. Im confident my quest for a complete arsenal of fantastic clean digital style eqs will end with DFC. Due to both the price and the quality lol. I will continue demoing products but I no longer have the intestinal fortitude necessary to spend another penny on such a tool moving forward.
Old 13th February 2019
Gear Maniac

Would love to see demos and examples of this plugin in use! can't believe there aren't any at all
Old 28th July 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hearteh View Post
Just a question. Are these DSP algorithms from 1996?
Even older, I believe... from what I understand much of the processing algo’s were inherited from an earlier Calrec digital console (from the brief period when AMS, Calrec and Neve were all owned by Siemens). They still sound great though!
Old 28th July 2019
Gear Maniac

Yeah, try it. Don't judge this plugin on its datestamp
Old 28th July 2019
Integration with Softube Console 1 would've been amazing
Old 17th September 2019
Lives for gear

Just started the demo on this one to try the phase & width control and I’m totally gobsmacked. The stereo width control is superb and easily the best I have in my plugin folder. It sounds very natural compared to the others - the other top plugin I’ve demoed for stereo width is Leapwing StageOne which is also amazing but I’m not able to compare the two. If it’s just simple M/S, the DFC manages to sound way better than other tools like BX Control and others. How do they do it???

The EQ is also superb and I actually prefer the sound to Crave which I decided was the last clean digital EQ I would ever buy

Anyone got any info on how the stereo width control is designed and if it can be replicated with other tools?

I’m thinking £229 is a lot of dough mainly just for the width control!
Old 18th September 2019
Lives for gear

Just an update on my findings - The free Ozone imager seems to match the AMS Neve width control nicely (phew!).
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search