The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Universal Audio releases Lexicon 480L Digital Reverb and Effects plug-In Reverb & Delay Plugins
Old 7th November 2018
News Desk Editor

Universal Audio releases Lexicon 480L Digital Reverb and Effects plug-In

Universal Audio releases Lexicon 480L Digital Reverb and Effects plug-In-lexicon_480l_carousel_1.jpg

Universal Audio releases Lexicon 480L Digital Reverb and Effects plug-In

Universal Audio is proud to release the Lexicon 480L Digital Reverb and Effects plug-in. Now available exclusively for UAD hardware and UA Audio Interfaces, the Lexicon 480L Digital Reverb and Effects Plug-In is the world's only Lexicon-endorsed emulation of this classic studio reverb — expertly capturing its unique, infinitely moldable ambience and modulation splendor.

Released in 1986, the Lexicon 480L Digital Effects System and its iconic fader-driven remote control are recognized the world over, residing at the center of famous studio consoles for more than 30 years. The 480L's spacious reverb and vivid effects textures are a coveted sonic benchmark, helping to shape thousands of chart-topping tracks to this day.

In addition to Lexicon's prized reverbs, the Lexicon 480L's random time-varying "Effects" algorithm — available for the first time ever — provides dramatic reverse, doubling, tremolo and chorus sounds. Combined with its unique four-voice Twin Delay algorithm, the Effects algorithm turns the 480L into a versatile multi-effects system with unending creative potential.

Lexicon 480L Digital Reverb and Effects Plug‑In — Key Features:
  • Licensed and endorsed by Lexicon, featuring their pinnacle achievement algorithm designs
  • Provides the essential sound and control set of the legendary Lexicon hardware
  • Enduring Lexicon reverb and effects derived from final software version 4.10 including Plate, Hall, Room, Random, Ambience, Twin Delays and Effects algorithms
  • UAD plug-in recreates iconic desktop "LARC" remote with logical workflow improvements
  • Includes over 100 artist presets from Spike Stent, Chuck Zwicky, Eli Janney, Ian Boxill, Jacknife Lee, and more
Price: $349

For more information: Lexicon 480L Digital Reverb and Effects | UAD Audio Plugins | Universal Audio
Attached Thumbnails
Universal Audio releases Lexicon 480L Digital Reverb and Effects plug-In-lexicon_480l_carousel_1.jpg  
Old 7th November 2018
Lives for gear
uh oh
Old 7th November 2018
Gear Maniac
I dare to predict that the Relab one that was fantastic till 2 hours ago all of a sudden never was that great as only UAD can get it right...
Old 7th November 2018
Mho
Lives for gear

Nice! Not cheap though...
Old 7th November 2018
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by folkfreak View Post
I dare to predict that the Relab one that was fantastic till 2 hours ago all of a sudden never was that great as only UAD can get it right...
Laugh aloud, I did
Old 7th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Indeed.

Any of you guys did the ReLab blind test? It was friggin impossible to reliably tell the difference between the 480 hardware and the plugin. Many tried but as far as I know nobody has gotten it correct yet.

Not sure if Martin has that blind test still up but if it is, it's a real ear-opener.
Old 7th November 2018
Mho
Lives for gear

Wow the video/demo is amazing. The guy that does the UA promos needs some recognition.
Old 7th November 2018
Here for the gear

Impressive. Downloading now.
Old 7th November 2018
Lives for gear

Ok, can someone educate me on this new lexicon.. How does it differ from the existing lexicon UAD plugin? The older lexi plug is my least favourite UAD reverb. Does this sound sinilar?
Old 7th November 2018
Mho
Lives for gear

Btw, I think I´ll see sooner a girl on Mars than a LA3A mk2
Old 7th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm2c View Post
Ok, can someone educate me on this new lexicon.. How does it differ from the existing lexicon UAD plugin? The older lexi plug is my least favourite UAD reverb. Does this sound sinilar?
Excuse me, but why don't Google lexicon 224 and 480 and figure it out yourself?
Old 7th November 2018
Lives for gear
I wish I could have my LARC motorized like the one on the video
Old 7th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilan View Post
Excuse me, but why don't Google lexicon 224 and 480 and figure it out yourself?
thank you so much for your informative answer!
Old 7th November 2018
Lives for gear
Just playing with the presets and its pretty meh imo. Definitely creates nice wide spaces and can make things bigger and envelopes the signal nicely but without a direct comparison to LX480 which gave me the immediate wow factor, this did not.

On the plus side it isnt a muddy mess like some verbs tend to be and blends really well too. Delays sound good as well. Also easier to navigate than the LX480.

Curious to hear others opinions though.
Old 7th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
The way I see it (hear it) is that the Lexicon 480 is a (much) more sophisticated reverb, providing you with a smoother reverb tail that can be more dense/diffused than what the Lexicon 224 offers. To my ears, the difference is big, but at the same time you do recognize the family sound to some degree between the two.

I like the Lexicon 224 for dreamy lush halls, where I think the Lexicon 480 is great for a reverb that is a bit more natural sounding (stealthy to some degree), from small rooms to big halls and everything in between. It's a versatile reverb, providing you access to a lot of parameters, making it possible to tweak the reverb more than the 224.

(Disclaimer: my Lexicon 480 experience is based on the Relab LX480 plugin, my Lexicon 224 experience is based on the UAD Lexicon 224 plugin)
Old 7th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

Lol Truer words have never been spoken
rsp
Old 7th November 2018
Manufacturer

Thanks for the feedback all.

Obviously the best thing to do it check it out for yourself, in your studio, on your productions and see what you think.
Old 7th November 2018
Lives for gear

'Fixed' the installer yet?
rsp
Old 7th November 2018
Lives for gear

Omg!!! I’ve been waiting for this! I was gonna drop the dough for the relab pay day
Old 7th November 2018
Quote:
thank you so much for your informative answer!
I can understand the reaction you got there. Those Lexicon reverbs are iconic and have quite gigantic history in the recording industry. 224 is something, 480 is something else.
Old 7th November 2018
Lives for gear

Interesting how.compares to the softube lexicon 480
Old 7th November 2018
Gear Addict

2018, "the year of the reverb" keeps on giving....

However:

- this $349 price tag is pretty rich even for uad standards
- The Relab has additional capabilities not covered
by the uad (and sells for $299, likely to be discounted
on black friday).
- The whole PCM Lexicon suit, including random hall and all,
sells for $299 in JRR right now (and is likely to be discounted further
on BF in other resellers as in the past). I think that the
PCM because of its diverse algorithms, native format, resellability
and extensive presets is much more attractive.
Old 7th November 2018
Gear Maniac

UAD must download from the cloud and also its prices, every day there are more developers programming good plugins for very good prices. $ 349 is crazy!
Old 7th November 2018
Lives for gear

That Drums Random Hall demo on the UAD site is VERY wet
Thankfully I don't have any UAD cards so it is finally one new reverb I can't demo.
If this is as good as the ReLab 480 Complete it will be a great reverb.

Have fun.
Old 7th November 2018
Not sure if it's just me, I needed 16GB free C drive space to install 9.7? kept getting our of space errors with anything less (had to jiggle some folders onto another drive with symlinks)...

I wish I had the option to only install the 64bit VST's

Really nice reverb, but I have more reverbs than I know what to do with lately.
Old 7th November 2018
Gear Maniac

At the moment I've only listened to the demos, it does not convince me. I do not appreciate depth.
Old 8th November 2018
Lives for gear

Can I get this straight . . . I don't use the UAD platform, but was under the impression that UAD incorporated the Relab LX480 in it's plugin lineup. Now it appears they have gone and done their own coding of this, different than Relab's. I use the LX480 native almost exclusively.

However.

If there is some way this new UAD version of the 480 sounds appreciably better, I will frikkin' buy an Apollo and submit to the UAD protocol, - I'm that obsessed with the Lexicon sound.

Unfortunately, I have no way to demo this, as I don't use the UAD platform. What's a reverb-obsessed person to do??!!
Old 8th November 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin III View Post
Omg!!! I’ve been waiting for this! I was gonna drop the dough for the relab pay day
i would wait til black friday...
Old 8th November 2018
Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert82 View Post
Can I get this straight . . . I don't use the UAD platform, but was under the impression that UAD incorporated the Relab LX480 in it's plugin lineup.
Sorry, you are mistaken, they're not on our platform.
Old 8th November 2018
Lives for gear

OK, reading a bit more, it seems that this version has more variety than the Relab, i.e., chorus and effects, essentially a more comprehensive package. Right?
I love my Relab, but always wondered if there were aspects of the original 480L that were not included.

Seriously, if this "gets" the 480L ITB, I will consider spending what it takes to join the UAD platform and to purchase this plug. Hardware 480s still go for upwards of $3000 . . . .

I should add - if this lives up to the hype, it's a brilliant marketing decision by UAD, at a time when native has pretty much caught up, and does not need outboard DSP.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search