Originally Posted by kirito View Post
The carpet is amazing.
I hope it’s animated!
Old 16th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirito View Post
The carpet is amazing.
That rug really ties the room together...
Old 19th January 2020
Gear Head

Any word on 5.5 at Namm 2020?
Old 20th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP_Hawk View Post
Haha I was about to write that but you beat me to it!
Old 20th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Johnson View Post
Any word on 5.5 at Namm 2020?
A good, timely question, Jeff.
Old 20th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP_Hawk View Post
It’s not about the...
Old 20th January 2020
Lives for gear

Ya know something? All of these drum engines sound amazing to me when I load them up... superior, ez drummer... slate... even most of the abbey road NI libraries really sound great...

I don’t think the slate midi/groove thing is anywhere near the implementation in the toontrack series and I don’t suspect that will ever be as elegant nor as deep as far as the libraries... so, get rid of it and focus on the stuff that sets SSD apart... I mean, slate won’t, and I get it... but, ya know?
Old 20th January 2020
Lives for gear

Well, let's see what they do with it, mate.

Steven implied roughly mid-way through last year that a lot of work was being put into that side of things. Stacks of new grooves and some sort of reworking on the implementation, taking into account user requests.

I'm hoping we'll all be pleasantly-surprised.
Old 20th January 2020
Lives for gear

I’m pleasantly surprised that no one has mentioned Fgx 2.0 in at least 2 days lol
Old 20th January 2020
Lives for gear

LOL yeah, makes for a refreshing change.
Old 20th January 2020
Lives for gear

I finished up a mix for my band with the Terry Date expansion pack on my drums. Those are some great sounds.

Only feature I'd like to see is Trigger added into SSD like Superior Drummer 3. That was one of the best updates I've seen in Toontrack. However, SSD5 works and sounds great.
Old 21st January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatz View Post
Only feature I'd like to see is Trigger added into SSD like Superior Drummer 3.
Like that'll ever happen!
Old 21st January 2020
Lives for gear

I do wonder how many people here have SD3 - if you did, the massive superiority of it over SSD5 would be very apparent. Sometimes ignorance is bliss but I encourage you to see how the competition is moving the ball farther - it’ll only benefit your workflow.
Old 22nd January 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clonkified View Post
I do wonder how many people here have SD3 - if you did, the massive superiority of it over SSD5 would be very apparent. Sometimes ignorance is bliss but I encourage you to see how the competition is moving the ball farther - it’ll only benefit your workflow.
Interesting... I have both SSD3 and 5. I am very happy with 5. Sure it can be better, but it doe 95% of what I need done.
Old 22nd January 2020
Lives for gear

Clonk is talking about SD3, not SSD3, climber.
Old 20th February 2020
Here for the gear
As we are all here sit and wait for that update to come, I would like to ask if anyone can shed some light on how the SSD5 velocities work. Coming from the GGD libraries where the velocity levels are very sensitive (ie kick at 120 is different and noticeable than kick at 115). On SSD5, I find that on a double bass drum pattern, if the first hit is at say 115 the second needs to be at around 80 in order to sound natural and not "machine gun" like.

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions on how to go about this?

Thanks in advance guys!
Old 21st February 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc7four View Post
As we are all here sit and wait for that update to come, I would like to ask if anyone can shed some light on how the SSD5 velocities work. Coming from the GGD libraries where the velocity levels are very sensitive (ie kick at 120 is different and noticeable than kick at 115). On SSD5, I find that on a double bass drum pattern, if the first hit is at say 115 the second needs to be at around 80 in order to sound natural and not "machine gun" like.

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions on how to go about this?

Thanks in advance guys!
It will depend on which groups or expansions you are choosing your samples from.

One thing I do if I'm doing a lot of double bass is create a second kick on a different midi note. Typically I will have my main kick with a second layer on it for kick 1, then on the second note I'll have the same main kick, but a use different kick for the second layer on kick 2 so each of them sound slightly different. From there think about how a real drummer would play. If everything could be done with 1 foot, only use the first midi note. If it is strait alternating double bass (RLRLRL...) alternate between kick 1 and 2. Or (and this is how I personally play) if you are doing quick groups of three hits I would typically play RRL with my feet, so if I were to program that I would do Kick 1,1,2. Whatever you do just try to match Kick 1 and Kick 2 to how a drummer would use their right or left pedal. Hopefully this makes sense...it helps me get a more realistic sound.

Old 26th February 2020
Gear Head

A little hidden update. Although we all know the word "soon" means nothing to them, the new Slate Audio company video had this comment from Slate Audio:

"Stay tuned! We’ll be releasing SSD 5.5 soon. If you’re subscribed to our newsletter at slateaudio.com, you’ll be the first to know"
Old 26th February 2020
Lives for gear

Thanks man!

Watched the video but missed that comment.
Old 26th February 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDP World View Post
"Stay tuned! We’ll be releasing SSD 5.5 soon. If you’re subscribed to our newsletter at slateaudio.com, you’ll be the first to know"
Soon! Hahaha
It's like a plethora. How many balloons are in a plethora? How soon is now?
Old 27th February 2020
I think he did ask for beta testers recently
Old 27th February 2020
Still Waiting for some news and updates concerning 5.5 !! Anyone ?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

C'mon Steven, throw us a bone, mate.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Man View Post
C'mon Steven, throw us a bone, mate.
SSD 5.5 is here, go log in to your Steven Slate Drums account to download the latest Slate Audio Center.

http://users.drumclassroom.net/
  • Overhaul and redesign of the Install Manager, now called the "Slate Audio Center" for streamlined installation of SSD5 and its libraries

MIDI Learn implementation for quick mapping and saving with electronic drum kits

Update GUI and re-scalable user interface

1000’s of extra MIDI grooves for quick song writing and production

“Follow Host” Tempo/Timeline auto synced when auditioning MIDI grooves in the DAW.

Drag and drop of 3rd Party Grooves now supported

SSD5.5 Sample library location auto set when installing using the Slate Audio Center.

Added Steven’s OG One Shots

Old 2 weeks ago
WOW... great news. can't wait to try it.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Ohh yeahh!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Yeah, it's a pretty awesome update. Some great sounding kits in there for sure.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Unfortunately getting an error trying to install 5.5 Slate Audio Center on Windows 10.

"Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."

First time I downloaded it, it went into the install and let me choose a path and then just vanished. Then the install started to give me that error. When I downloaded it again, it went all the way through the install but there is no Slate Audio Center on my computer and the exe just gives me that error again.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Also, is it me or do the kits load quicker too?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search