The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Steven Slate Drums 5 (SSD5) Now Available
Old 9th October 2019
Lives for gear

hehe

steven is cool, i think he's a good guy and he means well when he makes all those promises

enjoy your drum kits!
Old 10th October 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltydog3317 View Post
...We are approaching 1 year now since we were first promised these 2 new updates.
It was just Slate's usual PT Barnum-ing. You'll get used to it (immune).

In the meantime, enjoy the SSD5 drums - they are the best!

Best Slate Excuses:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFvujknrBuE
Old 22nd October 2019
Gear Nut

SSD5 Mapping Frustrations

I am trying to map SSD5 with/to my TD9 V-Drums, which are in a separate room from my audio desk and I'm about ready to scream. Slate Drums mapping is the number one issue I have personally and it appears I'm not alone. Does anyone have any solutions other than the one offered in this video? Watch the video below starting at 5:55 to feel my pain.

Old 22nd October 2019
Lives for gear

Crumpets!

Steven, this needs to get sorted, mate, and by that I mean simplified. IOW, set your default mapping once and forget about it.
Old 22nd October 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryevick View Post
I am trying to map SSD5 with/to my TD9 V-Drums, which are in a separate room from my audio desk and I'm about ready to scream. Slate Drums mapping is the number one issue I have personally and it appears I'm not alone. Does anyone have any solutions other than the one offered in this video? Watch the video below starting at 5:55 to feel my pain.

I don't think this user realized the "Set as Default IO Map" option in SSD5. So once you map your kit you can save the IO map and set it as the default.

Here is an article showing how to map custom kits in SSD5.

https://stevenslatedrums.zendesk.com...apping-in-SSD5
Old 22nd October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optical Lens View Post
I have a e-drum kit with 6 toms, snare, and a number of cymbals. I don't want to be limited to 5 toms. What's the selection of toms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cprompt View Post
The only drum sampler I know that supports 6 toms out of the box is Getgood Drums Invasion - https://www.getgooddrums.com/products/invasion - but this is very genre specific (ie metal).

I'm sure there are others but I've never needed 6 toms (even back in the day when I played real drums) so it's never been a consideration for me.
Actually BFD3 supports multiple toms. You can just keep adding toms and then dragging toms from the library to the toms you added in the drum setup and then tune each tom.

I have this great library where Ken Scott sampled Terry Bozzio's setup from Missing Persons and you can have kits with all 7 rototoms.
Old 23rd October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dick swifter View Post
Any suggestions on how to get the OH’s and rooms to sound more realistic. What’s funny is that the individual drum samples sound way better than what I’m able to achieve with a mic’d kit, but my OH’s and Room mics Sound way better than SSD5. (And my tracking room is nothing to write home about) The end result is my real drums sound a lot bigger, more dense, and a much larger footprint than what I’m able to get with SSD5. But I’m open to learning how to get better results with SSD5.
Can you separate the OH’s to discrete channels for left and right? The stereo image in SSD5 OH’s seems really narrow. Same with the Rooms. Small and narrow. And they don’t react to compression the same way that my mic’d OH’s and Room do. What’s the secret? Thanks!
No one has an opinion on this?
Old 23rd October 2019
Lives for gear

Any upgrade from trigger2 to this?
Old 24th October 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpga View Post
Any upgrade from trigger2 to this?
no... they are totally different beasts.
Old 24th October 2019
Quote:
No one has an opinion on this?
do you route the individual drums out to separate channels on your DAW?
Old 24th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by climber View Post
do you route the individual drums out to separate channels on your DAW?
Yes, of course. And when I solo the OH’s they sound very small and narrow. Very unlike what I’m used to with real OH’s.
Old 24th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by climber View Post
no... they are totally different beasts.
Ok,
All the best..
Old 1st November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes, of course. And when I solo the OH’s they sound very small and narrow. Very unlike what I’m used to with real OH’s.
Try clicking on the cymbals on the kit and adjusting the volumes there.
Old 2nd November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP_Hawk View Post
Try clicking on the cymbals on the kit and adjusting the volumes there.
Thanks, but I don’t think you’re getting what I’m saying. I’m asking, “Do the OH’s sound like real OH’s to anybody?”
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks, but I don’t think you’re getting what I’m saying. I’m asking, “Do the OH’s sound like real OH’s to anybody?”
It seems to me in Slate other companies libraries that they high pass the OH mics and make them more like cymbal mics. I wish they wouldn’t but they do.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Right, I agree, something like Wavesfactory suspended cymbals might be worth a look, I've used before.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I just set up the free version in Reaper and it sounds fantastic, thanks Steven Slate for making this available. I am kind of new to this drum VST thing, i see the samples are pretty dry, I was wondering if anyone has found reverb IRs that match the room mikes in the SSD5? Basically trying to get my guitar and bass run through amp sims to sound like coming from the same room? Thanks!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by davetbass View Post
I just set up the free version in Reaper and it sounds fantastic, thanks Steven Slate for making this available. I am kind of new to this drum VST thing, i see the samples are pretty dry, I was wondering if anyone has found reverb IRs that match the room mikes in the SSD5? Basically trying to get my guitar and bass run through amp sims to sound like coming from the same room? Thanks!
if i wanted to match everyone i would just turn off the room mics and put everything through an IR (or algo) i already have
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave.R View Post
if i wanted to match everyone i would just turn off the room mics and put everything through an IR (or algo) i already have
Thanks, that makes sense, I'm not sure why I didn't think of that, lol! cheers!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Feature Removed

Why would you remove this from the instrument editor in SSD5??? WHY??? Being able to view, hear and edit the different mapping zones of instrument.

SSD4 Platinum with mapped areas of the instrument:
Attached Thumbnails
Steven Slate Drums 5 (SSD5) Now Available-2.jpg  
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryevick View Post
Why would you remove this from the instrument editor in SSD5??? WHY??? Being able to view, hear and edit the different mapping zones of instrument.

SSD4 Platinum with mapped areas of the instrument:
I agree, it does seem like a silly omission.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Wasn’t the update coming soon after launch? Yet another empty promise. One of the reasons I cancelled my Slate subscription - why support a company that can’t deliver.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

My quick overview for SSD5

https://www.facebook.com/UDiAudio/
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Thank you, Udi.

Looking forward to pt2, mate...
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
I agree with this. There is something about the OH's that just sounds / feels... off. I've got some great presets / mixes for the shells, and they sound pretty darn good. However, the OH's sound so unnatural to me that I don't think these drums will ever be my go-to for writing. It's such a bummer because some of original SSD releases flipped my whole world upside down when they first came out. Now, drum library production is a competitive space and there are LOTS of options... I'm still looking forward to see what could be coming down the road!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

the only thing I've really noticed about SSD5 vs SSD4 is that I have a much harder time getting the hi hats to sit right in the track.
I know they changed the way SSD5 deals with the layering and samples but sometimes I end up having to use SSD4 for just the hats, especially if it's an older track that I'm having to wake up again.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Steven, I think an update from you on wassup wit' da update would go down a treat, brother.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsnack View Post
the OH's sound so unnatural to me that I don't think these drums will ever be my go-to for writing.
can you post files comparing SSD5 OHs with OHs you say are natural sounding. thx!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsnack View Post
I agree with this. There is something about the OH's that just sounds / feels... off. I've got some great presets / mixes for the shells, and they sound pretty darn good. However, the OH's sound so unnatural to me that I don't think these drums will ever be my go-to for writing. It's such a bummer because some of original SSD releases flipped my whole world upside down when they first came out. Now, drum library production is a competitive space and there are LOTS of options... I'm still looking forward to see what could be coming down the road!
EXACTLY. OH’s are supposed to sound like the WHOLE kit, with slightly less kick drum. It’s a big, wide sound and if you don’t have a drummer that can control their dynamics, the hats and cymbals can get out of control. SSD OH’s sound very controlled, small, narrow and yes, unnatural. I think they’re probably best served for metal, where you want mostly close mics to punch through a very dense mix.
I’ve been recording since before Digital recording existed. And while I don’t consider myself a world class tracking engineer, my tracked drum kits ALWAYS sound much better/larger than the SSD drums that I often use to sketch the arrangement out. And here’s the strange thing... The individual drums in SSD5 sound WAAAY better than my close mic’d drums. Not even close. But my OH’s and Room mics bring so much more to the overall sound of the kit, that my drums sound a lot better.
I was always taught that your OH’s should be the overall picture of the kit and the close mics get added in to provide attack and punch. SSD5 takes the opposite approach, which might serve certain styles well, but certainly don’t sound like a natural kit to me. And take this into account... I rarely have the pleasure to record drummers that have perfectly tuned, Uber expensive, top of the line kits in rooms like NRG and Blackbird. Yet my drum tracks sound larger, with a bigger sonic footprint, than SSD5. I totally wish this wasn’t the case. I’m lazy. If I could get a nice E-Kit, and trigger SSD5 drums that sound better than my recorded drums, I’d be shouting from the mountain tops and sell a ****load of gear. I’ve done this with guitar amps, where my Amp collection has gone from 12 to 3 because Amp Sims have gotten so good and often sound better than what I can record myself.
Not trying to bash SSD5. I use it all the time to supplement my real drums, because as I’ve stated, the individual drum samples smoke my close mic’d drums. But when I try to use SSD5 as my only drums, I have to work way harder to achieve the desired result.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
EXACTLY. OH’s are supposed to sound like the WHOLE kit, with slightly less kick drum. It’s a big, wide sound and if you don’t have a drummer that can control their dynamics, the hats and cymbals can get out of control. SSD OH’s sound very controlled, small, narrow and yes, unnatural. I think they’re probably best served for metal, where you want mostly close mics to punch through a very dense mix.
I’ve been recording since before Digital recording existed. And while I don’t consider myself a world class tracking engineer, my tracked drum kits ALWAYS sound much better/larger than the SSD drums that I often use to sketch the arrangement out. And here’s the strange thing... The individual drums in SSD5 sound WAAAY better than my close mic’d drums. Not even close. But my OH’s and Room mics bring so much more to the overall sound of the kit, that my drums sound a lot better.
I was always taught that your OH’s should be the overall picture of the kit and the close mics get added in to provide attack and punch. SSD5 takes the opposite approach, which might serve certain styles well, but certainly don’t sound like a natural kit to me. And take this into account... I rarely have the pleasure to record drummers that have perfectly tuned, Uber expensive, top of the line kits in rooms like NRG and Blackbird. Yet my drum tracks sound larger, with a bigger sonic footprint, than SSD5. I totally wish this wasn’t the case. I’m lazy. If I could get a nice E-Kit, and trigger SSD5 drums that sound better than my recorded drums, I’d be shouting from the mountain tops and sell a ****load of gear. I’ve done this with guitar amps, where my Amp collection has gone from 12 to 3 because Amp Sims have gotten so good and often sound better than what I can record myself.
Not trying to bash SSD5. I use it all the time to supplement my real drums, because as I’ve stated, the individual drum samples smoke my close mic’d drums. But when I try to use SSD5 as my only drums, I have to work way harder to achieve the desired result.
I'm going to do my due diligence and try them one more time, as it's definitely been a while. I'll try a real A/B with a song I'm working on and see if I can post it. With the holidays and family in town soon, it might be a little bit, but I'll get to it!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search