The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Steven Slate Drums 5 (SSD5) Now Available Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneyBCN View Post
All of the grooves in SSD 4 and 5 are pure guff IMHO. Half a bar of something oddly syncopated, into some mad frenzy of 16ths. Honestly, when I shoot drummers out for a new project or gig, if any of them played like that, they'd not be getting called back.

A robust step sequencer would be an excellent way to do it IMO. With weak, strong, and syncopated beats, different hi hat behaviors, local and global dynamics with automation, swing, humanization, randomization, midi/audio drag and drop. Like Jamstix basically... But with the hi hat samples fully mapped. That would be killer.
I agree. I understand that everyone is not a drummer and needs to have drums in their music, (I could start on a VERY long rant right here about the current state of music and production but I digress). I posted the comments regarding the MIDI files to help others. I am my own groove library. I also have personally sampled my entire Sabian cymbal collection and don't hear anything even close to the quality of what I've sampled in Slate Drums, though I admit to not having fully explored SSD5 yet. If I'm on the road I have a few different methods of using MIDI for rough drum ideas and as a very last resort I might insert a groove track and then edit it in my DAW. SSD is mainly used with my V-Drums in my home studio or Trigger for my Sonor kit.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Man View Post
There's been number of feature requests, the most-important of which, it seems, will be granted in the forthcoming updates.
Given Slate's track record of massively delayed -- or out-and-out non-delivery of promised items (FG-X 2 - cough cough) (sample fixes on SSD4 Blackbird cough cough), (allowing plugins to be independent of VMR -- not exactly a promise -- but certainly teased for years) -- I would not hold your breath re: any timely -- or feature-rich -- updates to SSD5.

Just look at the time it took to release SSD5 -- and its pattern of promises followed by delays.

Slate has become a developer/merchant whose word and promises mean nothing to me.

And I hardly ever even use his plugins -- that I own and like -- anymore because of the unwieldiness of VMR and equal or better alternatives that don't force me to use their "rack."

About five years ago, Slate was my favorite brand. Now -- between the pattern of broken promises and the VMR...meh. Anyway, back to OT -- I'd be SHOCKED to see an SSD5 update anytime soon -- and frankly surprised to see it at all. (I don't recall any update to SSD4?) I'd love Slate to prove me wrong....but what is that famous defintion of insanity?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

So... Alex is lying, then?

Quote:
Post #395 , a few pages back, on December 5th:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Semichev View Post
There is upcoming update with GUI scaling and few more things. And right after this update, the next update will add more groove functionality including sync to DAW timeline!
He specifically named 3 items and said there are "a few more things" coming too. Sounds pretty-concrete to me.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:

He specifically named 3 items and said there are "a few more things" coming too. Sounds pretty-concrete to me.
I officially confirm, we're putting all our efforts into making this update and I'm absolutely sure people will love it! We're working on some additional GUI details now. And update will go into final testing stage before the end of February!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:

They also said very specifically... a long time ago... that the fix for the Blackbird pack was on it's way for SSD4... which never happened. Steven personally said at NAMM (it's on YouTube), before the release of SSD5 that the cost to upgrade would be... whatever it was... which wound up being the exact same price as the super duper BF act now sale. Sounds pretty deceptive to me.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Dude, Alex is one of the coders, and he confirmed my quote 24 minutes before your post.

Now, either they're working on it for no reason other than to deceive you, or we'll see the updates when their coding and testing is complete.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Dude, Alex is one of the coders, and he confirmed my quote 24 minutes before your post.

Now, either they're working on it for no reason other than to deceive you, or we'll see the updates when their coding and testing is complete.
I was in the middle of creating that post when he posted his confirmation and I was interrupted. That's why it's quoting you but my points are still legit. I hope they do release it soon.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Nobody's gonna argue in a general sense with your main point I reckon, mate, but let's not deceive ourselves into thinking that there's any intentional deception going on on the company or Steven's part.

The enthusiastic way he's gone about things throughout its history inevitably gives rise to such anomalies, but as I'm suggesting, I put these things down to unbridled enthusiasm. The intention's always there; it's just that real-world execution always (for me anyway!) involves unforeseen roadblocks.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search