The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Steinberg releases Groove Agent 5
Old 1st November 2018
News Desk Editor

Steinberg releases Groove Agent 5-ga_5_beat-agent-.jpg

Steinberg’s major update for its Groove Agent drum studio software offers a wide range of percussive sounds and grooves, with HiDPI support and a new and unique sound design tool for even more drum sample control.

Steinberg today announced the release of Groove Agent 5, the drum workstation that comprises different drum modules, each specialized in acoustic and electronic drum styles.

Featuring three drum modules, also known as Agents, Groove Agent offers a wide scope of specialized tools essential to in-demand styles of drum production.

In version 5, the Acoustic Agent has been equipped with a new drum kit simply referred to as The Kit. Its samples were recorded at the Teldex Studios in Berlin, covering as many articulations as possible with high-end studio equipment.

Created by electronic artists the likes of Rawtekk/Noise Design, Joe Ford, Billain, Audeka, Current Value and zKlang, the Beat Agent has also received 30 exciting additions, now including not only beat patterns but also bass lines and other melodic parts or noises.

The graphical user interface of Groove Agent is now scalable to fit the real estate of any display, while supporting high-resolution HiDPI for more detail than ever before.

The Decompose feature was introduced to decompose samples into their tonal and noise parts which can then be easily layered onto the pads. Samples can now be recorded live directly in Groove Agent.

“Groove Agent 5 is a remarkable update including a ton of drums sounds for virtually every music style,” said Florian Haack, senior marketing manager at Steinberg. “With its fifth iteration, Groove Agent will continue to be a rich source of inspiration and creativity for musicians all over the world.”

Availability and pricing

Groove Agent 5 is available from resellers and through the Steinberg Online Shop at the suggested retail price of 179 euros. Update are also available from Groove Agent 4 at 99.99 euros and Groove Agent version 2 and 3 for 119 euros. All prices include German VAT.

Key features

• New high-end acoustic kit recorded at Teldex Studios Berlin
• New kits for EDM, Trap and Future Bass
• 20 new MIDI Styles with intro, outro and fills
• Decompose samples in noise and tonal
• External live sampling directly in Groove Agent
• Style Player for Beat Agent kits
• Pre-listening Styles and Pads
• New definable auto complexity mode
• Resizable user interface
• HiDPI support
• AAX support

Product page: Beat making software: Groove Agent | STEINBERG
Attached Thumbnails
Steinberg releases Groove Agent 5-ga_5_beat-agent-.jpg  
Old 1st November 2018
5 months ago I bought GR 4 now 100 Euro for an update. I hurried a little. bought for a year or half a year would update for 30 euros is normal.

GR 4 only 44 KHz ))

Last edited by M_Music; 1st November 2018 at 08:10 PM..
Old 1st November 2018
Here for the gear

I'd like to try this but the upgrade from Groove Agent 4 does seem expensive.
Old 2nd November 2018
Lives for gear
I cannot erase the time I built an awesome kit of samples in GA SE in Cubase, the next week tried to load it up and the kit was empty.

Never. There is nothing worse than losing music.
Old 2nd November 2018
Lives for gear
No API level innovation? Sad (or is there?)
Old 2nd November 2018
Gear Addict

Drag and drop samples on pads... Hmmmm, I'm confused (is this from your desktop?)... Wonder if this mean when Cubase 10 comes out, we will be able to do the same with 3rd Party VSTi like Serato...
Old 2nd November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken_English View Post
Drag and drop samples on pads... Hmmmm, I'm confused (is this from your desktop?)... Wonder if this mean when Cubase 10 comes out, we will be able to do the same with 3rd Party VSTi like Serato...
That is not a new feature from Cubase or Media Bay.
Old 2nd November 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyGoldstein View Post
No API level innovation? Sad (or is there?)
What were you expecting?
Old 3rd November 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBackDrop View Post
That is not a new feature from Cubase or Media Bay.
It's listed as a New Feature on Steinbergs website for GA5... and my big question is... what makes it new. The fact that they listed it as one, leads me to believe CB10 will be able to drag and drop audio from the Project Window directly to products such as Serato Scratch, Maschine etc...

From the What New site:

Drag and drop samples on pads

Build your own kits of single instruments, recorded or Decomposed samples
Old 3rd November 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken_English View Post
It's listed as a New Feature on Steinbergs website for GA5... and my big question is... what makes it new. The fact that they listed it as one, leads me to believe CB10 will be able to drag and drop audio from the Project Window directly to products such as Serato Scratch, Maschine etc...

From the What New site:

Drag and drop samples on pads

Build your own kits of single instruments, recorded or Decomposed samples
It’s related to decompose. You can drag and drop the drums that the new (and cool-looking...) decompose process results in.

Drag and drop from other parts of Cubase is not new.
Old 3rd November 2018
Lives for gear
Resizable window and looks less messy overall is tempty. I think the pricing has been consistent over the years, didn't really expect them to change that. Would be nice though, like in black friday (wink wink steiny)
Old 4th November 2018
Lives for gear

You got to ask, "what is the point of this update?"

10 replies tell you how not interested people are in Groove Agent as a product.

Gone are the days when people got excited about an update from Stienberg. "Wow, look t that new cool feature....", I mean really 99 what evers to update so you can resize the window!

Old 4th November 2018
Lives for gear

How many samples can be placed on a pad?
Old 8th November 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARIEL View Post
How many samples can be placed on a pad?
Apparently "Groove Agent now handles up to 32 velocity layers." To me that reads like its 32 samples on a pad. Pretty cool I think.

That decompose function looks really handy.
Old 8th November 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofrq View Post
Apparently "Groove Agent now handles up to 32 velocity layers." To me that reads like its 32 samples on a pad. Pretty cool I think.

That is actually pretty decent to have 32 layers on one pad
Old 8th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofrq View Post

I was hoping for more samples per pad, When making a custom kit with multisamples with more of a natural feel more samples spots are needed. But 32 is not bad. I ma not sure why they put a limit on it.
Old 9th November 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARIEL View Post
I was hoping for more samples per pad, When making a custom kit with multisamples with more of a natural feel more samples spots are needed. But 32 is not bad. I ma not sure why they put a limit on it.
hahah.

I'd spend all day on one pad if it were unlimited.

On conga performances definitely more is better. But I don't know if I have it in me to spend that much time, and I doubt anyone would even notice the effort.
Old 10th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke View Post
hahah.

I'd spend all day on one pad if it were unlimited.

On conga performances definitely more is better. But I don't know if I have it in me to spend that much time, and I doubt anyone would even notice the effort.
For snare rolls, more samples would be nice for better realism.
Old 27th February 2019
Lives for gear

A loop I played on my lithophone processed with Groove Agent 5 (tempo-synced stretch mode), first separating tonal and transient components with Decompose and then using various envelopes and effects inside GA5.

Old 2nd March 2019
Lives for gear

Processing a Nepalese bell from my library Colliding Worlds with Groove Agent 5, decomposing transient and tonal components and independently processing the two.

Old 22nd February 2020
I just got Groove Agent 5

I made a video showing how flexible this plug in is.

Old 22nd February 2020
Lives for gear
Groove Agent 5 is also currently half price (purchase or upgrade) - a couple of days left on the offer I believe.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Once you get the Steinberg way it is a great Drum machine.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 Sounds View Post
Once you get the Steinberg way it is a great Drum machine.
Grabbed the update during the sale. While looking into new features had me check what was the "recording" all about in GA. So i would add that it is a great overall sampler too, eg. recording into GA from analog inputs, samples will be sliced and placed into their own pads automatically(by threshold and other settings).
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by souljahh View Post
Grabbed the update during the sale. While looking into new features had me check what was the "recording" all about in GA. So i would add that it is a great overall sampler too, eg. recording into GA from analog inputs, samples will be sliced and placed into their own pads automatically(by threshold and other settings).
Yes the recording window is unique. Battery 4 does not have that.
The recording window Threshold start, stop and key mapping is great and comes from Halion and Wavelab. I use NI Maschine with it a lot. The patterns matches the pads on Maschine.

Decompose is another unique Groove Agent feature. Great for lowering og removing ringing from snare drums or making percussive samples out of string instruments.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
hhhm, I would have gotten this if I knew about the 50% off.

I have used the SE version in Cubase, had some technical issues at 1st, but it's is serviceable sampler for sure.
Great samples in there to 'steal' and add to drum tracks or full mixes.

I'm still, after years looking for that Battery 4 killer. Battery has a simplicity and straightforwardness that I like.
I don't have to think and can work very fast in it, which means there is something to be said for using the same plugin for decades.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search