The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
HoRNet HCS1, vintage guitar compressor sustainer
Old 22nd October 2018
Lives for gear

HoRNet HCS1, vintage guitar compressor sustainer

HoRNet Plugins, has released HCS1, emulation of a vintage compressor sustainer guitar effect.

HoRNet HCS1 is the faithful recreation of a very famous guitar pedal effect that has been produced from mid seventies to mid eighties, it’s designed to give more sustain to your guitar, and it does it acting like a compressor.
The plugin recreates the peculiar effect the pedal has on the dynamics and give you that particular sound, made famous by guitarist al over the world, in your computer.

Features
  • Faithful recreation of the hardware compressor behaviour
  • Controls for “attack”, “sustain” and “level”
  • Option to enable “bright” modification to original circuit
  • Analog emulation with saturation and hiss
  • Saturation and hiss can be optionally disabled
  • Dry/Wet knob to create parallel compression
  • Internal 4x oversampling
  • Mac OS X (>=10.7) and Windows (Vista and later) support.
  • 32 and 64-bit compatibility both on Mac and Windows.
  • Audio Units VST2.4, VST3 and AAX format.

HoRNet HCS1 is available for just 9,99€ on HoRNet makes some of the best VST plugins, AU and AAX
Old 22nd October 2018
Lives for gear

I'm slightly perplexed by this plugin. I put it on, say, a guitar track with the default settings and the volume instantly drops by around 25-30dB making the guitar almost inaudible. The only way I can get the volume back to the same sort of level as the original is by cranking everything to the max.

Is the correct behaviour? This is the Windows vst v64 btw. If I turn the track up to hear what the plugin is doing, it sounds pretty good, really good in fact, but I can't believe the original pedal dropped the volume by so much.
Old 22nd October 2018
Mho
Lives for gear

Cool
Old 22nd October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cprompt View Post
I'm slightly perplexed by this plugin. I put it on, say, a guitar track with the default settings and the volume instantly drops by around 25-30dB making the guitar almost inaudible. The only way I can get the volume back to the same sort of level as the original is by cranking everything to the max.

Is the correct behaviour? This is the Windows vst v64 btw. If I turn the track up to hear what the plugin is doing, it sounds pretty good, really good in fact, but I can't believe the original pedal dropped the volume by so much.
It all depends on the input level, I've set -18dBFS as my 0dBm point in testing and calibrated everything according to the original service manual using a sine wave, can you please check that you are hitting ti at around that level?

Saverio
Old 22nd October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoRNet View Post
It all depends on the input level, I've set -18dBFS as my 0dBm point in testing and calibrated everything according to the original service manual using a sine wave, can you please check that you are hitting ti at around that level?
Done that, even used HornetVUMeter on autogain to double-check:

Here's an audio sample of what I'm talking about - turning the HCS-1 on and off every bar:
Attached Files

hcs1.mp3 (561.6 KB, 1301 views)

Old 22nd October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Done that, even used HornetVUMeter on autogain to double-check:

Here's an audio sample of what I'm talking about - turning the HCS-1 on and off every bar:
Oh... that’s weird is that the demo version?

Saverio
Old 22nd October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Oh... that’s weird is that the demo version?

Saverio
It is, yes.
Old 23rd October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
It is, yes.
Ok great, I've changed a couple of things, before a I release an update are you willing to test this development build? If so please contact me in PM

Thank you
Saverio
Old 23rd October 2018
Gear Nut

Boss CS-1 came with a fatal volume drop flaw, making the pedal almost unusable. You have to crank the level control to the max to get anything close to unity gain.

Too bad Saverio couldn't get his hands on improved CS-2, but I guess, the shortcomings of CS-1 original design can be improved in a digital domain.

Old 23rd October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwogo View Post
Boss CS-1 came with a fatal volume drop flaw, making the pedal almost unusable. You have to crank the level control to the max to get anything close to unity gain.

Too bad Saverio couldn't get his hands on improved CS-2, but I guess, the shortcomings of CS-1 original design can be improved in a digital domain.
Haha well, that explains why this plugin's volume drops so much, Saverio modelled it too well!!!

The good news is, he's fixing it so it's unity gain out of the box
Old 23rd October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwogo View Post

Yes my fault i followed circuit and Boss original service manual for testing the output, I've now changed a couple of parameters in the algo to make it feel more at ease with our DAW levels

I'm building the 1.0.1 release now!

Saverio
Old 23rd October 2018
Lives for gear

BTW, the 1.0.1 update is out, the levels and usability is much improved now

Saverio
Old 25th October 2018
Gear Addict

Gave it a spin in Logic 10.3.3. Didn´t work at all:( Ringmodulator-like sound when I turn up "sustain". Looking forward to an update, that stomp box sound is kind of hard to get with normal compressor plugins....
Old 25th October 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Yes my fault i followed circuit and Boss original service manual for testing the output, I've now changed a couple of parameters in the algo to make it feel more at ease with our DAW levels

I'm building the 1.0.1 release now!

Saverio
It's kinda cool that you followed it that closely !
Old 26th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke View Post
It's kinda cool that you followed it that closely !
That's how we do our analog emulations, simulate the circuit and emulates each block staying as close as possible to the real internal voltage levels.

:D

Saverio
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search