The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Boz Pan Knob
Old 6th November 2018
Tui
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardis View Post
Anything that sounds great on speakers will sound great on phones, or a good car system.
This X 100.

Just about anything sounds good on phones, especially if you have a nice model like a Beyerdynamic. There are people who mix well on phones, but they also know what to listen for.
Old 6th November 2018
Here for the gear

I think the idea behind this plugin is very cool & useful...
Old 6th November 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tui View Post
This X 100.

Just about anything sounds good on phones, especially if you have a nice model like a Beyerdynamic. There are people who mix well on phones, but they also know what to listen for.
And in my experience I certainly can’t say the opposite. I mix on phones, and it doesn’t always translate accurately to car, speakers, or other phones, especially the Apple ear/AirPods.
Old 6th November 2018
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by abluesky View Post
And in my experience I certainly can’t say the opposite. I mix on phones, and it doesn’t always translate accurately to car, speakers, or other phones, especially the Apple ear/AirPods.
I believe if you really know your phones and listen on a couple of different setups, you can get a good ballpark mix. A false baseline as it were. For a real baseline you need a tuned room and monitors. That's the only way you can create a mix that will work everywhere.
Old 6th November 2018
Lives for gear

Boz isn't advertising these as mixing tools for headphones, rather to make panning sound 'better' in headphones.

Especially useful for simplistic / sparse mixes which focus on specific instruments. No contest panning a guitar L/R with this and the DAW pan. None at all (unless you want to completely isolate L/R of course).
Old 6th November 2018
Gear Addict

If you have a program like Goodhertz Can Opener 3, you can see the difference between Boz Pan and the DAW pan.
Old 6th November 2018
Tui
Gear Guru

I don't think anyone suggested Boz Pan Knob couldn't be a useful tool.
Old 7th November 2018
Lives for gear

So pan knob only works on mono tracks making them mono to stereo... so there is no way to have pan knob in a stereo version?? For busses? That if possible would be a game changer... really like the feel of this plugin
Old 7th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zak7 View Post
So pan knob only works on mono tracks making them mono to stereo... so there is no way to have pan knob in a stereo version?? For busses? That if possible would be a game changer... really like the feel of this plugin

No no, don't worry, it absolutely works on existing stereo tracks too.
We're only talking about the mono > stereo thing to explain what it does with mono tracks.
Old 7th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Maybe a bug?

Last edited by baslotto; 7th November 2018 at 09:40 AM..
Old 7th November 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Is it not working on stereo tracks for you? in PT, there should be a stereo version as well as a mono->stereo version.
Old 8th November 2018
Gear Nut

I'm a little confused. just threw it on a mono track, it disappears when i pan to the right.. Tried on a couple sources.
Stereo works fine.
I'm using Studio one 4.
Old 8th November 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleb Formz View Post
I'm a little confused. just threw it on a mono track, it disappears when i pan to the right.. Tried on a couple sources.
Stereo works fine.
I'm using Studio one 4.
Copied from above:

This is due to the fact that panning is by definition a stereo process. Some DAWs automatically detect mono->stereo plugins and adjust the channel count of the track accordingly, others don't. I guess Cubase doesn't. So even if the plugin has a stereo output, Cubase is only playing the left channel output, which essentially turns it into a tone knob.

All you need to do is change the channel format on the track to stereo, and it should work fine.
Old 9th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozmillar View Post
Is it not working on stereo tracks for you? in PT, there should be a stereo version as well as a mono->stereo version.
Yes is there...

Just I still a bit confused..I like how it sounds.... But I was expecting you can put Pan Knob on an AUX track and depending of the signals that gets into Left and Right does his thing or you just be able to adjust the feed into each L/R channel...
Old 9th November 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Yes is there...

Just I still a bit confused..I like how it sounds.... But I was expecting you can put Pan Knob on an AUX track and depending of the signals that gets into Left and Right does his thing or you just be able to adjust the feed into each L/R channel...
Pan Knob was meant to do one thing: replace the standard pan knob.

I made Panther a while back as a more comprehensive stereo suite where you can adjust panning, level, delay and EQ independently in a stereo channel.
Old 10th November 2018
Gear Maniac

More eq options for panning

It would be awesome to have more options in the eq to determine what does or doesn't get panned. This is pretty good for drum bleed. Fortunately the hi pass was perfect for panning just the hi hat while leaving most of the drum bleed in the center. Would be nice to be able to zero in more on a frequency range.

Last edited by banevt; 10th November 2018 at 05:41 AM.. Reason: Deleted an a
Old 10th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Pan Knob was meant to do one thing: replace the standard pan knob.

I made Panther a while back as a more comprehensive stereo suite where you can adjust panning, level, delay and EQ independently in a stereo channel.
I want a new version of Panther... Panther 2 inc a Vst3 version

PS. Isn't that the only plugin never updated/ported to Vst3? Just curious
Old 11th November 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by banevt View Post
It would be awesome to have more options in the eq to determine what does or doesn't get panned. This is pretty good for drum bleed. Fortunately the hi pass was perfect for panning just the hi hat while leaving most of the drum bleed in the center. Would be nice to be able to zero in more on a frequency range.
Melda makes a plugin that does this. it’s called something like frequency pan or spectral pan

Last edited by bgrotto; 11th November 2018 at 01:50 AM..
Old 11th November 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM Grabber View Post
I want a new version of Panther... Panther 2 inc a Vst3 version

PS. Isn't that the only plugin never updated/ported to Vst3? Just curious
I'm going through and updating some of the older plugins. For some of them, it requires a rewrite from scratch, and Panther is one of those. I'm working on Sasquatch right now, then Mongoose, then I think Panther is after that.
Old 11th December 2018
Lives for gear

I can't recommend this plugin enough if you are working on projects that involve panning acoustic guitars to the left or the right. It really makes a remarkable difference.
Old 11th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blim View Post
I can't recommend this plugin enough if you are working on projects that involve panning acoustic guitars to the left or the right. It really makes a remarkable difference.
Maybe they should have called it Super Acoustic Guitar Panner. It's all about finding a niche and owning it these days.
Old 30th September 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
oh, That' due to the fact that panning is by definition a stereo process. Some DAWs automatically detect mono->stereo plugins and adjust the channel count of the track accordingly, others don't. I guess Cubase doesn't. So even if the plugin has a stereo output, Cubase is only playing the left channel output, which essentially turns it into a tone knob.

All you need to do is change the channel format on the track to stereo, and it should work fine.
So if I have a mono track so a voice for example and I then set it to stereo what happens then it does something to the sound or it only gets louder
Old 8th October 2019
Lives for gear

im new to this boz panner and i really like it - its great. Are there any other alternatives ? I know of the good hertz one - are there any more ?

this new type of panning is so much better
Old 27th March 2020
Lives for gear

Simple and brilliant plugin. This and Mongoose are my go-to channel utilities.
📝 Reply