The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Apogee FX Rack - Limited Initial Release Now Available
Old 6th August 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by swartzfeger View Post
Awww man, I even tagged @ ApogeeDigital in a reply while you were deleting it.
Since there was a reply I put it back !
Old 6th August 2019
Deleted b163d7a
To quote Apogee from their website:

"..Thanks to Apogee’s unique DualPath DSP-Native technology, Apogee FX Rack plugins can run both on the hardware DSP in Ensemble Thunderbolt and Element Series interfaces and as native plugins on your Mac..."

What they don't say: In beta, not officially released.. it's a limited release as this thread is titled. But they don't tell you that if you purchase an Element or Ensemble.. I wonder why the price on the Element 88 has now dropped 200 dollars and includes the Control hardware remote?
Old 14th August 2019
Gear Maniac

Soooo... nothing yet?
Old 20th August 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApogeeDigital View Post
Hi all,

Carl from Apogee here. Firstly, I'd like to apologize for the lack of communication on this topic thus far. We're working feverishly on getting DualPath finished and I'd like to thank everyone who has downloaded the beta and provided feedback here. Apogee engineers have been made aware of the bugs that you have reported on this thread. We knew DualPath was going to be an ambitious venture, but our quest for quality has resulted in this taking longer than expected. Rest assured that DualPath is absolutely a priority for Apogee and we look forward to seeing it finished soon!

Carl H.
Apogee Electronics
It's time to apologize for the lack of communication again...
Old 5th September 2019
Lives for gear
Any update?? 1 year anniversary of the start of this thread is only 33 days away.... My install has graphic issues now and since i am on 10.14.5 I can't even reinstall - but oh well - somewhat happy isn't so bad right?

Only 4 months since the last update...

Last edited by ProPower; 15th September 2019 at 09:47 AM..
Old 7th September 2019
Deleted b163d7a
At least Apogee is not telling us they’re just a couple weeks away anymore. I’ve permanently unplugged my element and am using a friends Focusrite Clarett 8xpre in the meantime. It’s been rock solid, sounds very natural and punchy. My main problem is that the Element has been around for a couple years and Apogee has been advertising DualPath for a long time now, and my interface has just straight up sucked since their initial “release.” Can’t get a decent offer for the Element on the used market which says a lot. Hoping I can justify keeping it around as a paperweight until Apogee figures their s*** out.
Old 7th September 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted b163d7a View Post
At least Apogee is not telling us they’re just a couple weeks away anymore. I’ve permanently unplugged my element and am using a friends Focusrite Clarett 8xpre in the meantime. It’s been rock solid, sounds very natural and punchy. My main problem is that the Element has been around for a couple years and Apogee has been advertising DualPath for a long time now, and my interface has just straight up sucked since their initial “release.” Can’t get a decent offer for the Element on the used market which says a lot. Hoping I can justify keeping it around as a paperweight until Apogee figures their s*** out.
I use my Element 24 every day and I have zero problems with it. Jf you have problems with DualPath, then just use them in your DAW as you would use any other third party plug-ins. Or don't use the Apogee plug-ins. The Direct Monitoring feature works flawlessly here.
Old 7th September 2019
Deleted b163d7a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Asher View Post
I use my Element 24 every day and I have zero problems with it. Jf you have problems with DualPath, then just use them in your DAW as you would use any other third party plug-ins. Or don't use the Apogee plug-ins. The Direct Monitoring feature works flawlessly here.
I have had plenty of issues outside of trying to use dual path hence the frustration. These include phantom noises, problems with the app connection using an ipad/iphone, trouble opening some sessions when the Element is connected (even without DualPath being used, I have to disconnect the element to open some sessions and reconnect after... these sessions open fine with the Clarett I am using), not to mention reverting back my OS after updating because I couldn't get Control to work at all with the most current version. I am running Apogee plugins natively on a daily basis. I am a Pro Tools and Ableton user, I do not have Logic. When Apogee says it's it's stable I may give it another go. Until then, I'll pass. Glad it's working for you and thanks for the input.
Old 29th September 2019
Lives for gear
Time just goes by - a Beta that has been un-installable on current MacOS since May - what on earth are the Betas testing on - last January's OS - strange way to develop IMO ... And yet the website still advertises it as a current feature - no qualifications.

Not a single bit of info on...
- release date
- Expected improvements
- partners
- plugin development
- functionality
- Catalina compatibility
- In DAW controls for Studio One, Pro Tools, or anyone!

nothing... close to 5 months since last Beta update - crickets...

I know I write this just to vent my own frustration. Lets face it - there are maybe 10 people who ever read this thread. :-)
Old 29th September 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProPower View Post
Time just goes by - a Beta that has been un-installable on current MacOS since May - what on earth are the Betas testing on - last January's OS - strange way to develop IMO ... And yet the website still advertises it as a current feature - no qualifications.

Not a single bit of info on...
- release date
- Expected improvements
- partners
- plugin development
- functionality
- Catalina compatibility
- In DAW controls for Studio One, Pro Tools, or anyone!

nothing... close to 5 months since last Beta update - crickets...

I know I write this just to vent my own frustration. Lets face it - there are maybe 10 people who ever read this thread. :-)

I'm one -thanks for keeping it going!
Old 29th September 2019
Lives for gear

Second one
Old 1st October 2019
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsblack View Post
Second one
Any news ? Already bought an Apollo but sent it back within the money back time.
Hated being pushed into their plug in supermarket.
Old 1st October 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ortega67 View Post
Any news ? Already bought an Apollo but sent it back within the money back time.
The UAD route's not for everyone, sure. And a good number of people will tell you that there are plenty of great native plugins around that sound as good or even better than their UAD equivalents (one of which is Apogee's LA-3A). Then of course, some of those native versions are made by the same partners who made the plugin for UAD (Plugin Alliance, Softube...), so in theory they should be identical (although sometimes you hear here that one or the other version -usually UAD- sounds better -i.e. the BX_Digital-V3 eq).

Anyway, "pushed into their plugin supermarket"? You can make albums with only the plugins included free with any Apollo (or other UAD options) and never ever have to even visit their site. But I get the sentiment

But, sorry -your actual query was about something else: nope, nothing that I've seen yet. I'm just glad we can use them natively, cause Apogee's so silent they're being drowned out by the crickets...
Old 1st October 2019
Lives for gear
Apogee is not silent (IMO)... From the Ensemble product page:

"Featuring DualPath monitoring, available exclusively
with Ensemble and Element Series interfaces"

Apogee continues (all year) to LOUDLY advertise the dual path function as a current - front page - FEATURE of Ensemble and Element. To continue do so when it is clearly and unequivocally NOT TURE is...
Old 1st October 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProPower View Post
Apogee is not silent (IMO)...

Apogee continues (all year) to LOUDLY advertise the dual path function as a current - front page - FEATURE of Ensemble and Element. To continue do so when it is clearly and unequivocally NOT TURE is...
Yeah, I'm with you on that. I was seriously looking at an Ensemble / Element purchase, but for me there's just too many folks here saying Dual Path's not solid or not working for them -even though there are also a lot of people who say they've got it working just fine. I'd like to see both 'positive user comments' and also 'Apogee's updates here' both tip way over into +Ville
Old 1st October 2019
Lives for gear
Well let me help with that - or not :-)

I find the Dual Path latency features and workflow indispensable at this time.

To accommodate the Betas shortfalls I Limited dual path work to Logic. I also limit what I use (EQ, Comp, Pultec (very sparingly)) and how I use it (slow careful movement of any knob) - no switching plugin order during playback in the rack or the DAW - no adding/deleting during playback - and it is mostly behaving. A few crashes per month.

My entire DAW install is stuck at a March 2019 10.14.4 Clone I had because the Beta is un-installable on any later OSX (inconvenient due to several things that I wish I could do a clean OS install again.

Beta progress since early May - zero for this user
Old 2nd October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Nada..
Old 2nd October 2019
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4fmb View Post
The UAD route's not for everyone, sure. And a good number of people will tell you that there are plenty of great native plugins around that sound as good or even better than their UAD equivalents (one of which is Apogee's LA-3A). Then of course, some of those native versions are made by the same partners who made the plugin for UAD (Plugin Alliance, Softube...), so in theory they should be identical (although sometimes you hear here that one or the other version -usually UAD- sounds better -i.e. the BX_Digital-V3 eq).

Anyway, "pushed into their plugin supermarket"? You can make albums with only the plugins included free with any Apollo (or other UAD options) and never ever have to even visit their site. But I get the sentiment

But, sorry -your actual query was about something else: nope, nothing that I've seen yet. I'm just glad we can use them natively, cause Apogee's so silent they're being drowned out by the crickets...
Don’t get me wrong, I actually liked the free plug ins that came with the Apollo. But since you automatically download ALL their plug ins, you spend some time searching ....
Now if you disconnect the uad hardware, you will not be able to use any of their plugins unless I missed something.
Old 2nd October 2019
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsblack View Post
Nada..
Mierda.
Old 2nd October 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Don’t get me wrong, I actually liked the free plug ins that came with the Apollo. But since you automatically download ALL their plug ins, you spend some time searching ....
Now if you disconnect the uad hardware, you will not be able to use any of their plugins unless I missed something.
Ah, well with that I am in complete sympathy. They do that so we can activate a demo of a plug-in easily if we want, which consideration I semi-appreciate; but what I don't like at all is all the plugins I don't own cluttering my DAW lists and options. Yeah, PITA. Yes, there are various ways to hide / not load any plug in you want in the various DAWs, but with each new UAD Software version, here they all come again.

And you're right, hardware has to be connected to load and get the benefits of a UAD plugin (though there's printing the effect in a previous session, of course).

Last edited by 4fmb; 2nd October 2019 at 03:34 PM.. Reason: clarify something
Old 2nd October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Mierda.
LOL
Old 5th October 2019
Lives for gear
What about these for Dual Path:
- A simple 1176 style plugin (Blue, Black etc)
- A Neve like EQ
- An SSL like EQ
- An Summit comp
- A Fairchild Comp
- StaLevel
- VariMu

SO many possibilities - so little action

Oh - almost forgot - an installable version of anything would be nice too!

Its been a YEAR since the original 5 came out in Native - is there actually anyone in there working on these? What on earth are they doing? Time to jump ship???
Old 7th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Asher View Post
Jay, are you using the Element's internal mic pres for at least the majority of your work? Curious your thoughts on them.
Old 7th October 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Football View Post
Jay, are you using the Element's internal mic pres for at least the majority of your work? Curious your thoughts on them.
I’ll chime in - I prefer my Neve 1064s and Manley 40db, but with that said I think the Element pre’s are great. For a bundled pre in an interface they hold their own and I feel like I can use them without apology. They’re not color pre’s - more like a Grace, clean and balanced. The upgrade from RME and MOTU pres is not at all subtle. The downgrade from my Neves is more a matter of coloration and saturation, but the detail and fidelity is all there in the Element pres. Or so I currently think.
Old 7th October 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmeckitup View Post
...Or so I currently think.
Wise words to append to almost any post!
Old 7th October 2019
Lives for gear

Element pres are good, clean and quiet.
Old 9th October 2019
Since I ditched UAD I've been looking for 2 specific plugins..
- LA3A
- Pultec EQP1A
I've just discovered today that apogee do both of these
I've been trying not buy plugins as I have so many I've bought in the past sitting idle not being used

My questions...
- What are these 2 plugins like (how do they compare to the UAD versions)
- anyone selling one or both ?

I'm on HDX / Pt Ultimate - would love to see an AAX DSP version of these.....
Old 10th October 2019
Lives for gear
Apogee Dual Path IS an advertised yet unreleased feature/product.

When will there be a release?
Old 12th October 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by anguswoodhead View Post
Since I ditched UAD I've been looking for 2 specific plugins..
- LA3A
- Pultec EQP1A
I've just discovered today that apogee do both of these
I've been trying not buy plugins as I have so many I've bought in the past sitting idle not being used

My questions...
- What are these 2 plugins like (how do they compare to the UAD versions)
- anyone selling one or both ?

I'm on HDX / Pt Ultimate - would love to see an AAX DSP version of these.....
Hi Angus, the EQP1A seems to me to be the finest emulation of this piece of gear until now (I do not have the UAD one, but just about all he other available Pultec software, including Nebula and AA, far too many). The Apogee EQPs, officially approved by Pulse, made me sell my two Warm Audio Pultecs straight away. The software sounded so much better. You will find a shooutout made by Sweetwater (on their website) with tons of hardware and sw Pultecs in comparison, a very nice PT session in 96K, so that you really can compare. I find that the Apogees stand out very well.
The LA3A is also very nice, just not that outstanding, I feel.
To you second question. No, I am not planning to sell mine.. :-)
Old 14th October 2019
Lives for gear
Apogee Dual Path IS an advertised yet unreleased feature/product.

When will there be a release?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search