The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Waves announces Abbey Road TG Mastering Chain
Old 16th October 2018
News Desk Editor

Waves Audio Introduces the Abbey Road TG Mastering Chain

Waves announces Abbey Road TG Mastering Chain-abbey-road-tg-mastering-chain-1-.png

Waves Audio Introduces the Abbey Road TG Mastering Chain

Waves Audio, a leading provider of digital signal processing solutions, introduces the Waves Abbey Road TG Mastering Chain plugin.

Developed together with Abbey Road Studios, the TG Mastering Chain plugin is a modular mastering chain plugin modeled after the EMI TG12410 Transfer Console used in all Abbey Road's mastering suites since the early '70s to this day. The distinct solid-state transistor-based sound of the TG12410 has proven itself time and again over many decades. Whether it is used for mastering as a complete console, or for mixing with only select modules, the TG brings nothing less than magic — the same magic heard on albums like Pink Floyd’s The Dark Side of the Moon, Nirvana’s In Utero, Radiohead’s OK Computer and Ed Sheeran’s + (“plus”). Thanks to this Waves/Abbey Road collaboration, the TG12410 is now available outside of Abbey Road Studios, allowing you to bring the very same magic to your own productions.

Just like the original console, the TG Mastering Chain plugin is made out of modules (or cassettes):
TG12411 Input Module
TG12412 Tone Module (EQ)
TG12413 Compressor/Limiter Module
TG12414 Filter Module
TG12416 V.A.L (Spread) Module (stereo component only) incorporated into the Output Module.

Modules can be interchanged (except for input/output modules) and switched on/off to allow for a flexible processing flow and creating custom chains.

Individual modules can be used on different tracks and group buses in a mixing session, as well as on the master bus in mastering sessions.

The compressor/limiter module offers two flavors – Original and Modern – and is coupled with 48 dB/Oct linear-phase sidechain filters to help you take complete control over your sound.

Original — aggressive and “dirty” just like the ‘70s and exactly how we modeled it.

Modern — an original Waves and Abbey Road design based on the TG topology, that will help you get pristine sound with higher levels of perceived loudness.
Alongside the TG Mastering Chain is the Meter Bridge component (separate plugin), offering a new approach to metering. Open one Meter Bridge component on any channel and get access (via drop-down) to all Abbey Road TG Mastering Chain instances in the session. Get a clear reading of VU, PPM, Phase and Peak at a glance, and stay focused on the music.

With different processing modes (Stereo/Duo/MS) and monitoring modes (Stereo/Mono/L/R/M/S), the Abbey Road TG Mastering Chain plugin is truly a powerful tool. Use it in the studio or for live sound with a dedicated Live component.

Waves Abbey Road TG Mastering Chain features:
  • Integral part of the Abbey Road sound since the early 1970s to the present day
  • 5 modules that can be used independently
  • Use in mastering or in mixing sessions
  • 48 dB/Oct linear-phase sidechain filters
  • Meter Bridge component provides a new approach to metering
  • More than just the original sound (with a new compressor design, SC filters and the meter bridge)
  • Stereo/Duo/MS processing modes
  • Stereo/Mono/L/R/M/S monitoring modes
  • Live component

Mirek StiIes, Abbey Road Studio’s Head of Audio Products, notes, “I remember seeing the various TG Mastering modules used frequently in the studios and they still are to this day, most recently for mixing Brockhampton’s Iridescence album which debuted at #1 on the Billboard top 200. I wasn’t so familiar with the mastering rooms’ workflow, but from spending time with the engineers it was important to learn that the TG modules are used on almost every project; the only exception being the compressor, which can be a little too harsh for some stereo masters. With this in mind, the Waves and Abbey Road teams went about tweaking the original TG topology. Low level information is more prominent and the VCA curve and attack release circuits were modified to create something more suitable for today’s mastering requirements. The end result was signed off by Abbey Road’s mastering engineers and we are all very proud of this plugin. It’s an extremely versatile and beautiful sounding tool for both mixing and mastering.”

Use the Abbey Road TG Mastering Chain to create custom processing chains with a flexible flow and the TG magic on the master bus, or on individual tracks/groups in a mixing session.

The Abbey Road TG Mastering Chain plugin is included in the Waves Abbey Road Collection bundle.

Note: Abbey Road Studios, EMI, TG and their associated logos are trademarks of EMI (IP) Limited.

For more information, please visit: Abbey Road TG Mastering Chain Plugin | Waves
Attached Thumbnails
Waves announces Abbey Road TG Mastering Chain-abbey-road-tg-mastering-chain-1-.png  
Old 16th October 2018
Gear Nut

Looks great! Def gonna give this one a try!
Old 16th October 2018
Mho
Lives for gear

Looks great!
Old 16th October 2018
Gear Head

Not sure I'll go for this. Some of the AR stuff I like (Chambers for instance) but others I'm not that keen on - don't do much amateur mastering so doubt its for me. GUI is nice.
Old 16th October 2018
Gear Addict

Fell in love with their TG12345 this year so I'm looking forward to trying this one. Looks like the Schepps Channel with the modular layout and mid/side capabilities and separate screens. I'm wondering if this is going to be the new path forward for Waves plugs. I'm all for it.
Old 16th October 2018
Lives for gear

I got it… installed it... Not working... It's a problem with v10 of Waves stuff... I usually can make it work, but, not on this plugin... options are all grayed out...

have a ticket into waves and will let yall know what they say

(I'm win10 64 bit latest Studio One 4 pro)
Attached Thumbnails
Waves announces Abbey Road TG Mastering Chain-waves.jpg  
Old 16th October 2018
Gear Maniac
I tried to demo it. Installed, activated, but Cubase 9.5 won't even find it.

Update: Found it. It's labeled as "AR TG Mastering". I was looking for "Abbey Road TG Mastering" or "TG Mastering". My bad.

Last edited by J4R10; 16th October 2018 at 07:57 PM..
Old 16th October 2018
Lives for gear

This is the same plugins already released by waves? Just a new GUI with all of them and new features, right?
Old 16th October 2018
Gear Maniac
So, Waves is showing as another standard of plugins price? either way I'm loving it. For a poor guy like me it is a blessing. I remember when it used to cost a plugin like this 300 and 400. Those days are over I can't wait to try it.
Old 16th October 2018
Gear Addict

I’m shocked at how good this sounds. $29 for Abbey Road upgrade. I wouldn’t claim to be doing any real “mastering” with it but on a mix bus it can do some pleasant stuff, especially in the highs.
Old 16th October 2018
Lives for gear
I thought this is a new Acustica release...
Old 16th October 2018
Lives for gear

On the phone with Waves tech support,.. he’s in my machine remotely right now... assuming he fixes it I’ll be very impressed

Took about 8 minutes waiting in cue
Old 16th October 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
I got it… installed it... Not working... It's a problem with v10 of Waves stuff... I usually can make it work, but, not on this plugin... options are all grayed out...

have a ticket into waves and will let yall know what they say

(I'm win10 64 bit latest Studio One 4 pro)
I believe that you have the modules disabled. Simply right click on each module and Enable
Old 16th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vox_Humana View Post
I believe that you have the modules disabled. Simply right click on each module and Enable
Naw... nothing doing here with that... might help someone else though!
Old 16th October 2018
Gear Nut

This honestly looks interesting... although I may resist. It will inevitably go on sale again if I want to catch the special price. I can't stand the constant Waves deals/promos, but truth is, and all that marketing garbage aside, their recent plugins have been very good indeed. Very curious to see how you all like it. If it's to the level of their other recent plugins, I'll probably cave in and buy it.
Old 16th October 2018
Gear Head

I just installed it and tried it now with no issues with Logic Prox with OSX.

This is good! the presets are fantastic and once I get my head around the manual and what it can really do it should be a winner!

39 dollars for this? its a steal! incorporates a lot of the older plug ins all in one channel strip!

Really looking forward to digging into this one
Old 16th October 2018
Gear Head

Not sure if this was intentional but when placed before the Waves Abbey Road J37, it has some nice retro colour -especially with the Tape Equalizer.
Old 16th October 2018
Lives for gear

hour with the guy.. he uninstalled every waves product... in the long reinstall he told me to call him back if it didn't work... so we hung up and once it finished installing... same damn problem
Old 16th October 2018
Lives for gear

Waiting to try it , i'm unable to log in waves central , updated it , tweak proxy thingy ect ...no go , frustrated , but pateint , gonna demo this asap , i alwayz wanted when using AR stuff to get the 12345 comp , the RS 56 eq , widenere ect ..a combo of usefull stuff , and this one got all Under hand .....

Is this the console they emulated on vinyl ?
Old 16th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagman18 View Post
I just installed it and tried it now with no issues with Logic Prox with OSX.

This is good! the presets are fantastic and once I get my head around the manual and what it can really do it should be a winner!

39 dollars for this? its a steal! incorporates a lot of the older plug ins all in one channel strip!

Really looking forward to digging into this one
I don't think it incorporates any older plugins that Waves had/has.
Old 16th October 2018
Gear Head

No that is true but what it does do is do away with the need for say Centre and even the L1/2/3 limiting plugs.
Old 16th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagman18 View Post
No that is true but what it does do is do away with the need for say Centre and even the L1/2/3 limiting plugs.
I don't see how as those plugins are totally different sounding than this new piece.

And let's not forget to check out AudioDeluxe's price on this.
Old 16th October 2018
Lives for gear

Second call went better...

Holy geezus

working now... sounds kinda amazing
Old 16th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
I don't think it incorporates any older plugins that Waves had/has.
Yeah, I guess you are right. But looks like the old Chandler Abbey Road plugins.
Old 16th October 2018
Lives for gear

Great UI and functionality. Looking forward to testing this tomorrow - hope it sounds as good as it looks!
Old 16th October 2018
Lives for gear

does this cloning of zombie gear never stop?!

(next thing waves will come up with is a high resolution surround sample library, several terrabytes of noise, all gathered from paul mccartney's car keys in his original jacket from sgt. pepper - for 9.99 shekel only!)
Old 16th October 2018
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
Second call went better...

Holy geezus

working now... sounds kinda amazing
I think I saw you had the TG 12345 too. As good but more comprehensive? I just got the 12345 and though I need more time with it, I'm loving it so far. Do you recommend this then for TG 12345 owners?
Old 16th October 2018
Lives for gear

I really missed the old AR mastering EQ plugin, so delighted they've bought this out. For $39 it was a no brainer. I've had a quick whirl on it and it sounds great. Dare I say even better that the original AR EQ. The compressor is very nice too. Good work Waves.
Old 16th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
does this cloning of zombie gear never stop?!

(next thing waves will come up with is a high resolution surround sample library, several terrabytes of noise, all gathered from paul mccartney's car keys in his original jacket from sgt. pepper - for 9.99 shekel only!)

::
Mads
Old 16th October 2018
Gear Maniac

Ok now I don't get it. Mixbus Can't detect this plugin Reaper can't detect it . How I'm I going to demo? Is waves really aware that?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search