The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Waves announces Abbey Road TG Mastering Chain
Old 17th October 2018
Gear Maniac

Cant deny it has its own sound. There is still that waves sound. Though it cant replace my current Master Chain. Its pretty good. But its pretty small GUI wise.
Old 17th October 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManMulcahy View Post
... $29 for Abbey Road upgrade. ...
That's the price for upgrading to the AR collection, right? Thing I don't understand is that I upgraded to the collection last time I bought a Waves plugin. So does this mean that I have to upgrade once again to the collection? Or is the new strip included in the collection?

I am not complaining at all, but I don't understand how this works. Perhaps someone from Waves can pitch in?

/Magnus
Old 17th October 2018
Gear Nut

Old 17th October 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus_N View Post
That's the price for upgrading to the AR collection, right? Thing I don't understand is that I upgraded to the collection last time I bought a Waves plugin. So does this mean that I have to upgrade once again to the collection? Or is the new strip included in the collection?

I am not complaining at all, but I don't understand how this works. Perhaps someone from Waves can pitch in?

/Magnus
Correct. My assumption is that any time they add a new plugin to the collection, you have to do the upgrade to get any type of special pricing beyond the normal intro offer.
Old 17th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gas hoarder View Post

1. Nirvana's In Utero
2. Radiohead's OK Computer
3. Ed Sheeran's "+"
4. Pink Floyd's The Dark Side of the Moon
Quote:
Originally Posted by profvonsok View Post
One of these things is not like the others, one of these things just doesn't belong....

Quote:
He was just making a joke about the artists listed...

R.
Old 17th October 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by profvonsok View Post
One of these things is not like the others, one of these things just doesn't belong....
I LOL-ed (partly cos that's how I laugh...).
Old 17th October 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManMulcahy View Post
Correct. My assumption is that any time they add a new plugin to the collection, you have to do the upgrade to get any type of special pricing beyond the normal intro offer.
Thanks for confirming that. I followed Amsoily's advice above and bought the upgrade (i.e. the Mastering strip) for 14.50 USD. A very fair price, indeed.

And thank you, Amsoily.

/Magnus
Old 17th October 2018
Lives for gear

Think I read that someone here tried this along with the J37 tape plugin. Anyone else tried it and if so where would you put this new plugin - before or after the J37? I know the manual says the TG input stage switch is supposed to change the eq going from NAB to IEC and vice versa. How would I set that when working with the J37?
Old 17th October 2018
Lives for gear

I'm still running V9 Waves here... if I buy this guy am I in for a world of grief installing etc?

Stef.
Old 17th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowak View Post
I'm still running V9 Waves here... if I buy this guy am I in for a world of grief installing etc?

Stef.
Same. I'm now downloading the latest (offline) 9.92 legacy installer to see if it's included, I'll let you know.
Old 17th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowak View Post

Stef.
No problem. You can install v10 right alongside v9.

There is a pop-up that asks if you want to update your v9 plug-ins (to v10) during the install and you just click no.

I should note that is when I use Waves Central for installation.

R.
Old 17th October 2018
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Think I read that someone here tried this along with the J37 tape plugin. Anyone else tried it and if so where would you put this new plugin - before or after the J37? I know the manual says the TG input stage switch is supposed to change the eq going from NAB to IEC and vice versa. How would I set that when working with the J37?
The NAB / IEC control would be for matching up with tape formula I think. I would regard the control as suggested by Waves, as color options, and the options are quite broad.

This monster is so unique, I'd say experiment, experiment, experiment and let your ears be your guide... and include tweaking presets too.

I spent hours just using it alone and then comparing to presets in Ozone 8 and IK TR5 chains. Still in the middle of it all, but off the bat for vibe and color I liked the TG more than O8 (MUCH more testing needed...) however a modern TR5 chain was hard to beat. After I get more of this line off messing with it under my belt, I'm looking forward to getting serious and trying a mixed chain with perhaps more surgical EQ plug and touches of other hi quality compression/limiting along with TG. As with TG12345 it can add some depth I don't readily get with other chains, including with orchestral and hybrid orchestral which is mostly what I do other than string/brass arrangements that I don't have to master.
Old 17th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Same. I'm now downloading the latest (offline) 9.92 legacy installer to see if it's included, I'll let you know.
It won't be; anything that came out as Waves 10 won't be in the Legacy installer. I don't know what the exact cutoff was but I think even some W9 plugins might not be in there. I know AR Chambers isn't in W9 Legacy.
Old 17th October 2018
Gear Nut

Took the plunge and bought it. If you take the Waves SoundGrid 101 Test (links provided somewhere in this thread I believe), then you can get a $50 voucher that can apply up to 25% to an individual plugin or 50% to a bundle or upgrade.

So I checked my Waves upgrades and discovered that if I collected my other Abbey Road plugins, I could upgrade them to the complete Abbey Road bundle for a great price, and with the $50 50% voucher fully applied, it was even better. Definitely worth the cost.
Old 17th October 2018
Lives for gear

Yeah, not available in 9.92 - had to install V10. Worked fine though (Bitwig and Waves don't get on sometimes).

Cool tool, but it's not going to replace my current plugin chain. UI could be bigger on retina screens as bmanic mentions.
Old 17th October 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottombunk View Post
The low end is the same as that old Abbey Road plugin that used to live on my mix buss. !
After getting Waves rs56 (Modeled 1950s-60s tube gear), I still keep going back to the old Chandler AR EQs (via a 32-bit wrapper). Maybe i have it wrong, but the difference is these latest Waves plugs, like the Chandlers are modeled on 70s-era solid state EMI designs?

Anyway, looking forward to checking them out.
Old 17th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiodeBridge View Post
After getting Waves rs56 (Modeled 1950s-60s tube gear), I still keep going back to the old Chandler AR EQs (via a 32-bit wrapper). Maybe i have it wrong, but the difference is these latest Waves plugs, like the Chandlers are modeled on 70s-era solid state EMI designs?

Anyway, looking forward to checking them out.
From what I've seen online you're assumption is right - this new TG is modeled after solid state equipment. Not that that's bad at all
Old 17th October 2018
Gear Head

What's up with the extremely small GUI?
Old 17th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommijk View Post
What's up with the extremely small GUI?
What's your screen resolution?
Old 17th October 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Betsey View Post
He was just making a joke about the artists listed...

R.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
does this cloning of zombie gear never stop?!

(next thing waves will come up with is a high resolution surround sample library, several terrabytes of noise, all gathered from paul mccartney's car keys in his original jacket from sgt. pepper - for 9.99 shekel only!)
Only thing you're missing now is a rocking chair and some lemonade.
Old 17th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Only thing you're missing now is a rocking chair and some lemonade.
Hahaha. That's was good!

Wait... I don't get it?

Old 17th October 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Betsey View Post
Hahaha. That's was good!

Wait... I don't get it?

Old 17th October 2018
Gear Nut

Old 17th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post

(next thing waves will come up with is a high resolution surround sample library, several terrabytes of noise, all gathered from paul mccartney's car keys in his original jacket from sgt. pepper - for 9.99 shekel only!)
Abbey Road has a mastering service to this very day that you can have your songs or tracks mastered on the real HW this plugin emulates. They do a lot of dance music, modern music.

So picking on this plugin for being a Beatles cash grab is a stretch.
Old 17th October 2018
Gear Maniac

Been playing around with this morning. So far the best thing I can say about it is it both gentle and noticeable in very good ways.Hearing the change in the overall sound first before I hear in my head what specific frequencies I am affecting. I'm saying to myself "this is sounding nicer" over "okay I just cut/boosted this". Very good synergy going on with the modules.

As much as I did not want to buy another plugin..........

Wish I could trade in Vitamin and Vinyl for it.
Old 17th October 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Yes, but how do you like it compared to other tools
Old 17th October 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pale Pyramid View Post
Abbey Road has a mastering service to this very day that you can have your songs or tracks mastered on the real HW this plugin emulates. They do a lot of dance music, modern music.

So picking on this plugin for being a Beatles cash grab is a stretch.

Looks like Chandler Limited is jumping on the zombie gear train...
Old 17th October 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomotomoto View Post
I try to stay away from comparing things and use it for another color, tone, character, harmonics, distortion and saturation.

I worry less about what it's emulating and how close it is to another emulation, I tend to use it for what it is.
Old 17th October 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Simulate printing to tape? After

Simulate mastering from tape? Before

Before & After if it sounds good.
Old 17th October 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomotomoto View Post
Just compared it with the bx_masterdesk on one track so far. The brainworx is more clean and round. The Waves is more gritty and "rocknroll"

depends on the track what I would prefer, but this seems to be a very interessting plugin from waves.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search