The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Introducing the AEA KU5A Supercardioid Ribbon Microphone
Old 25th October 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthcircle View Post
I think your biggest issue using all three together will getting the singer in the position on each mic where it sounds best. The KU5A is big- right around the size of a SM7. It also has a very pronounced proximity effect when you get close (which the HPF does a great job of getting around). Polar patterns won't be a problem, but mic positioning will. I'd probably record 3 takes- one on each mic so you can optimize the performance of each mic in a bit more of a "real-world" setting. All 3 mics are great vocal mics, but you'll need to decide which works best for a particular voice.

--Ben
Hi Ben,
Thanks for weighing in; I sent out a group text to all my vocalist friends to see who was interested in this demo and 8 responded, so on the plus side I'll have a very wide range of voices to test the mics on! Down side is I'll have very limited time with each (a friend of mine is letting me use his live room but I've only got it for a couple hours), so I'll have to use one standardized position for everyone.

With that in mind, I thought about 8 inches away would be a good spot as it won't incur too much proximity effect on the mics. I've linked a picture below of a recent session I did with the 441 to give a sense of the setup I'm talking about (just picture 3 mics packed in there). What do you think of that idea?

MD441

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheu78 View Post
That distance won't probably due justice to the 441, depending on the reach of the ku5a..
You shouldn't have any polar pattern issues..
Glad to hear from both of you that polar patterns won't be affected! Cheu, do you think the 441 will be on the thin or soft side at that distance? Alternately, would you recommend getting closer or farther away?

For both time and space reasons I won't be able to include any more microphones, but hopefully these three will give enough contrast to get a good sense for the dynamic and tonal response of the KU5A.
Old 25th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Hi Ben,
Thanks for weighing in; I sent out a group text to all my vocalist friends to see who was interested in this demo and 8 responded, so on the plus side I'll have a very wide range of voices to test the mics on! Down side is I'll have very limited time with each (a friend of mine is letting me use his live room but I've only got it for a couple hours), so I'll have to use one standardized position for everyone.

With that in mind, I thought about 8 inches away would be a good spot as it won't incur too much proximity effect on the mics. I've linked a picture below of a recent session I did with the 441 to give a sense of the setup I'm talking about (just picture 3 mics packed in there). What do you think of that idea?

MD441

Glad to hear from both of you that polar patterns won't be affected! Cheu, do you think the 441 will be on the thin or soft side at that distance? Alternately, would you recommend getting closer or farther away?

For both time and space reasons I won't be able to include any more microphones, but hopefully these three will give enough contrast to get a good sense for the dynamic and tonal response of the KU5A.
I agree with Ben, the right distance is needed.. although it will not be a "scientific" test in the very sense of the term.. but neither is music..

in case of the 441, I guess the right answer to your question is.. depends..
I'd say that a ribbon mic won't have its sweet spot where the 441 will perform at its best for that given source..

I'd say that the 441, "might" be placed closer (compared to some ribbons, dunno about the 160.. never used one on vocals..always on gtr cabs though).. but it depends from the source and the results wanted..

Cheu
Old 3 weeks ago
The first shootout is up! I've started a new thread so it doesn't derail this conversation, you can check it out here:

AEA KU5A vs. Sennheiser MD441

I've got the male vocal & guitar amp videos up now, and I'll be adding comparisons for female vocals in the next week.
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
The first shootout is up! I've started a new thread so it doesn't derail this conversation, you can check it out here:

AEA KU5A vs. Sennheiser MD441

I've got the male vocal & guitar amp videos up now, and I'll be adding comparisons for female vocals in the next week.

This shootout is insane, thank you for rounding up such amazing vocalists in an amazing room with amazing mics.

I've got a U67 on my wish list right now, but it might be a bit overkill ($$$) for my bedroom studio. I've had an RE20 and SM7B but I didn't feel like they captured transient detail or "air" very well, and boosting air frequencies just made things peaky with them. I wonder if the KU5A would fulfill the same role as a U67, in terms of being darker and forgiving towards sibilance and screaming, yet still highly detailed and receptive to EQ without getting peaky. I'll be following this thread closely!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search