Quote:
Originally Posted by sirthought View Post
Are these shipping?
Old 4th December 2018
Gear Maniac

Have heard two weeks from now.
Old 28th January 2019
Lives for gear

I have not yet received a shipping update from my preorder.

Has anyone heard or better yet, will AEA please provide an update here?
Old 18th February 2019
Gear Nut

So how are they?

Does anyone want to post more examples of it being used?
Old 2nd March 2019
Here for the gear

KU5A test audio

Got to do a quick test of the KU5A in my home setup. Singer-songwriter LeeAnn Peppers helped me out on this. Thought some of yall would be interested in this since there hasn't been much real world commentary on this mic yet.

Comparison is AT4050 condenser in cardiod (my reference point in this space), the AEA KU5A (no roll-off), and an EV RE-16 (a super-cardiod dynamic mic I had here).

LeeAnn is standing while singing and fingerpicking a jumbo acoustic.

First take is all the mics on her voice, about 6-8 inches. Mics are slightly angled up from below, away from the acoustic and to minimize any possible plosives.

Second take is all mics on the guitar around the 14th fret. About 8-10 inches, slightly angled down and away from the vocal.

You can get a sense of the off-axis response, bleed and proximity effect.

Was in a rush to do this test, so I didn't do multiple takes with low freq roll-offs engaged or different mic distances. However I emulated the on-board roll-off switch of the KU5A by using a 6db/oct hi-pass filter set at 283Hz (FabFilter Pro-Q2), same as the stated roll-off in the mic specs. Also applied this filter to the other mics for comparative purposes.

Oh, and preamp for everything was Rupert Neve Portico 5024 (no Silk) into MOTU 828es interface. No compression or eq. I level-matched everything best I could.

24/48 WAVs are Here

I'm definitely interested in other people's opinions on what they are hearing here. I have some thoughts so far but, I'm gonna hold on to them for now. I will say that the KU5A has responded very well to eq changes when I was playing around with it.

Cheers.
Old 11th March 2019
Gear Nut
KU5A sounds great on vox in this test, good on guitar too although maybe a bit too dark, would be interesting to hear all three mixed...
Old 12th March 2019
Lives for gear

Stlll waiting for shipment...since mid-Oct...
Old 13th March 2019
Lives for gear

Just got mine recently, but I was also a beta tester who got an order in the moment they started taking orders... There are a lot of people with interest in this mic and I'd assume there were many orders. I know as a fact that they are working hard to get product out as soon as they can. The first shipments were probably a month or so back so they're working through the backlog.

Used them at SXSW on the dulcimer players for the Game of Thrones Installation. Here's a couple photos- worked great (can't share the recordings unfortunately, although if you hear any of the press videos, they're using a feed from my console. Had the RND Dante preamps on the front end)

--Ben
Attached Thumbnails
Introducing the AEA KU5A Supercardioid Ribbon Microphone-img_4677-2.jpg   Introducing the AEA KU5A Supercardioid Ribbon Microphone-img_4723-2.jpg  
Old 13th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthcircle View Post
Used them at SXSW on the dulcimer players for the Game of Thrones Installation. Here's a couple photos- worked great (can't share the recordings unfortunately, although if you hear any of the press videos, they're using a feed from my console. Had the RND Dante preamps on the front end)

--Ben
This is one of the few things I might have braved SXSW to see/hear. Awesome!
Old 13th March 2019
Lives for gear

It was indeed pretty cool. Amazing sets, costumes from the show, etc... Very well done. I was mixing surround (well quad) for the choral part. The RMP-D8 is a heck of a sweet box. Had 16 channels there for the installation and another 8 for a session that I did that was related. The KU5A sounded pretty fantastic through those pres (as did the Schoeps, Neumans and such that I also had)

--Ben
Old 14th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthcircle View Post
It was indeed pretty cool. Amazing sets, costumes from the show, etc... Very well done. I was mixing surround (well quad) for the choral part. The RMP-D8 is a heck of a sweet box. Had 16 channels there for the installation and another 8 for a session that I did that was related. The KU5A sounded pretty fantastic through those pres (as did the Schoeps, Neumans and such that I also had)

--Ben
Hey Ben,
Have you compared these to Forssell's or to other pres? (Digico or other live stagebox pres)?

I always thought they were too expensive for what they are..

Tell us more

Cheu
Old 14th March 2019
Lives for gear

I obviously didn't do an A-B test other than some mics that I had plugged into the Yamaha Rio and the RMP, but that's not really a fair comparison. I do own no shortage of good stuff- Forssell, Pueblo, A Designs, API, Vac Rac, etc...

My impression of the RMP is that it deserves mention in the same breath as any of the higher end preamps out there. Definitely in the same league as the Stadius Pres for Digico, Millennia, A Designs, etc... Like all gear, it has it's own thing going. I didn't really stretch the capabilities as my gig was mostly classical in style. But I had no issue with transparency for a classical gig (including the recording I did). It had a slightly softer and very musical presentation than say a Millennia. Obvious as it's got a transformer in it. From what my system tech told me (who has a lot more hours on these pres), if you hit them hard, you can definitely get a more punchy sound. But I had tons of headroom on them for my mixes.

Are they expensive? Sure. But then again, most gear that's good is. You're paying for an ADC as well as a preamp with this. When you look at it that way, it isn't horribly priced. The integration into the CL desk was seamless. Felt like working with a Rio technically. Gain knob controlled everything, you had access to HPF, Polarity, etc... all from the desk. The computer app was decent, but basic. Only thing that's a bit of a pain is that sample rate is set via Dante Controller only.

Hope this helps...

--Ben
Old 13th April 2019
Here for the gear

Instant Classic!

Just got mine today after months of impatiently waiting . So far I've used it on vocals, acoustic guitar and electric guitar paired with the UA V76 preamp, insanely good! I just joined gearslutz today for the sole purpose of posting a review of this mic because I feel like I should sing its praises all over the web. For home studio's this has amazing rejection, the exceptional clarity of a condenser without the sibilance, smooooooooth the way a ribbon should be without being dark...and plenty of gain. This is the exact mic I've been waiting for my entire career! Thanks AEA, absolutely beautiful piece of gear, worth its weight in gold!

Mics in my locker....AKG C414 XLII, Shure KSM313, Sennheiser MD 441 U, Shure SM7B, Rode NT1A. IMHO none of these compare to the KU5A.
Old 13th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEZ View Post
Just got mine today after months of impatiently waiting . So far I've used it on vocals, acoustic guitar and electric guitar paired with the UA V76 preamp, insanely good! I just joined gearslutz today for the sole purpose of posting a review of this mic because I feel like I should sing its praises all over the web. For home studio's this has amazing rejection, the exceptional clarity of a condenser without the sibilance, smooooooooth the way a ribbon should be without being dark...and plenty of gain. This is the exact mic I've been waiting for my entire career! Thanks AEA, absolutely beautiful piece of gear, worth its weight in gold!

Mics in my locker....AKG C414 XLII, Shure KSM313, Sennheiser MD 441 U, Shure SM7B, Rode NT1A. IMHO none of these compare to the KU5A.

Thank you and welcome! You're doing the Lord's work.
Old 13th April 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEZ View Post

Can you post some vocal clips?
Old 13th April 2019
Here for the gear

I'll try to figure out how when I have some time. In the meantime, look up Scary Pockets on YT. They have a wide range of vocalists using it on different cover tracks....also on snare and maybe some other stuff. Other than using other gear in their chain, I would say that what you hear is what you get...and it don't get much better! i.e. the mic is providing the large majority of the great sound you hear, not the other gear. I use UAD plugins so have tried it with the Neve, SSL, 610, and V76, sounds great on all but best on the V76....which is an amazing preamp plugin btw. KU5A -> V76 -> LA2A -> Verb, no EQ needed yet.
Old 16th April 2019
I really wanted to love this mic; I do live recording exclusively (concerts and remote sessions), and on paper the KU5A seems like it'd be perfect for my needs. I've listened to a bunch of demos, and I love its sound on amps and brass.

But I'm just not sold on the vocal sound; on the flat examples I keep hearing what seems like congestion/wooliness in the low mids, while the processed examples (high passed + high boost) sound thin and crunchy. I was hoping for a smooth, flat top end that could take EQ well and suit a wide range of vocalists, but I'm hearing a peaky, uneven response that doesn't seem to fit many singers.

This mic is getting a lot of praise from well-respected members of the community here, so I'm not committing to my views; especially since my only exposure to this mic has been through demo clips. What I'd like to do is get a demo unit and shoot it out against my MD441, as that seems to be the closest competitor to the KU5A. If anyone else has suggestions for similar mics to compare it to, let me know and I'll see if I can add them to the shootout.

Last edited by [email protected]; 17th April 2019 at 09:12 PM..
Old 16th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I really wanted to love this mic; I do live recording exclusively (concerts and remote sessions), and on paper this mic seems like it'd be perfect for my needs. I've listened to a ton of demos, and I love its sound on amps and brass.

But I'm just not sold on the vocal sound; I keep hearing what seems like congestion/wooliness in the low mids, while the high end is all over the place; some frequencies seem sharp/crunchy while others seem like they're missing entirely. I was hoping for a smooth, flat top end that could take EQ well and suit a wide range of vocalists; what I'm hearing is a peaky, uneven response that may only be a good fit for select voices.

This mic is getting a lot of praise from well-respected members of the community here, so I'm not committing to my views; especially since my only exposure to this mic has been through demos (although I've gone through AEA's entire listening library and checked out 20+ session videos/reviews on YouTube). What I'd like to do is get a demo unit and shoot it out against my MD441, as that seems to be the closest competitor to the KU5A right now. If anyone else has suggestions for similar mics to compare it to, let me know and I'll see if I can add them to the shootout.
Maybe the Beyer M160, since it’s one of the very few directional ribbons.
Old 16th April 2019
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd33 View Post
Maybe the Beyer M160, since it’s one of the very few directional ribbons.
I wouldn't consider it a close competitor as it's half the price, and to my knowledge, rarely used on vocals. But you're right in that it's a competitor as a hypercardioid ribbon, and as I own a pair, I'd be happy to add them to the comparison. They might be better matched in a shootout on drums and guitar amp.

Last edited by [email protected]; 17th April 2019 at 05:02 AM..
Old 19th April 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
I wouldn't consider it a close competitor as it's half the price, and to my knowledge, rarely used on vocals. But you're right in that it's a competitor as a hypercardioid ribbon, and as I own a pair, I'd be happy to add them to the comparison. They might be better matched in a shootout on drums and guitar amp.
I also know people who like to record vocals with those! It's fair game to compare. Good luck.
Old 19th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I also know people who like to record vocals with those! It's fair game to compare. Good luck.
Ya, I think a band called "The Beatles" (did I spell that correctly?) used them for vocals during live shows a long time ago.
Old 19th April 2019
Lives for gear

The key with passive ribbons, and through my experience with the 160 in particular, is preamp impedance.

Active ribbons like the KU5A do not have this dependency, but the 160 opens up beautifully when paired with the right preamp impedance.

Quote:
Old 20th April 2019
Quote:
I have recorded vocals with my 160s! Once as an AB stereo pair capturing a singer-songwriter with a guitar, and once as a solo vocal mic. In both cases the mic sounded a lot better than expected, and with a little EQ I was able to get a great sound. That said, in both recordings I had to remove some high-mids as the mic was sounding a little sharp up there. Perfectly usable on vocals, just not a first choice.
Old 31st July 2019
This mic is phenomenal. Especially with the HPF engaged.
Old 31st July 2019
Lives for gear

Thank you for the reminder about this mic! I have used it sparingly, on cajon only, since taking delivery this year.

After reading your post, I engaged HPF, plugged it into a double set of gain-staged Pueblo JR4s > Retro 176 and was very impressed on vocals.

Looking forward to testing with acoustic guitar in a few weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mixwell View Post
This mic is phenomenal. Especially with the HPF engaged.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I've only just discovered this mic after coming across it on lots of Scary Pockets videos on YouTube :-

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-2...=dd&shelf_id=0

I already have some great sounding vocal mics but can see this may be useful for recording in live situations where rejection is required. In the studio my goto vocal mics are the Vanguard V13 (my favourite vocal mic I've used), Miktek MK-300, Shure KSM32 and JZ-V11 and for live vocal recordings I use a Telefunken M80 which replaced an SM7b and has been working well.
However, the AEA KU5A sounds lovely in the demos on the AEA website and being a ribbon mic I'm curious to hear what this might bring to the table over my other mics!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search