The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Solid State Logic Launches Fusion
Old 1st October 2018
News Desk Editor

Solid State Logic Launches Fusion

Solid State Logic Launches Fusion-ssl-fusion_front_reflection_pr.jpg

Solid State Logic Logic Launches Fusion

New colours from the masters of analogue.

Solid State Logic is extremely proud to announce Fusion, an all-analogue 2U outboard processor created for the modern hybrid studio. Fusion introduces five completely new analogue colouration tools designed to bring the perfect combination of added tonal character, weight and space to your mix bus or stereo stems, with the detail, warmth and finesse that only real analogue circuits can provide.

James Gordon, CEO of the Audiotonix Group, comments: “The introduction of Fusion marks the arrival of new studio tools from the studio masters that will colour the records we hear in the future. Having been fortunate enough to see and hear the development of this new unit, I think it leaves a strong impression of what’s to come."

Fusion features five analogue processors that can be used discretely or combined:

Vintage Drive - a unique non-linear harmonic enhancement circuit that brings cohesion and strength to your mix. Drive and Density controls interact to produce harmonic saturation and soft compression derived from overloading an analogue circuit. It can be used lightly for subtle thickening saturation or driven hard for more extreme distortion.

The SSL Violet EQ - an all-new minimum phase-shift, two-band shelving EQ. The first new SSL analogue EQ circuit for more than 25 years draws on the SSL legacy of carefully selected frequencies and response curves to create a musical and intuitive EQ designed to quickly dial in low-end weight and high-end sheen. High and Low frequency circuits each offer four switched frequency points and +/-9dB attenuation.

A new High Frequency Compressor delivers the distinctive sound of high frequency rounding in the analogue domain. A compressor that effects high frequencies only, optimised for smooth and transparent harshness reduction and a tape-like high-frequency roll off – great for taming brittle high frequency fizz.

A new Stereo Image enhancer provides a true analogue Mid-Side circuit that manipulates the Side signal, allowing for widening and spatial manipulation of the stereo field.

A switched, custom-designed SSL Transformer circuit introduces subtle low-frequency saturation, alongside a high-frequency phase-shift. The result is a simultaneous thickening of the low-end and an added sparkle to the high-end.

The SSL sonic legacy is built upon a much-emulated collection of analogue audio processing tools that have featured in generations of studio consoles; pristine mic pre’s, classic Channel EQ & Dynamics, the legendary Stereo Bus Compressor, the Listen Mic Compressor, and the unique SSL summing bus. Fusion takes SSL into a new era with the introduction of a suite of new analogue processing tools that offer exceptional tonal character and versatility. Fusion expands the processing palette for hybrid studio owners and is a superb partner for the SSL Stereo Bus Compressor.

Fusion will be available worldwide from November 2018. For pricing, please speak to your local reseller.

For more information: Fusion | Solid State Logic
Attached Thumbnails
Solid State Logic Launches Fusion-ssl-fusion_front_reflection_pr.jpg  
Old 1st October 2018
Lives for gear

Solid state logic Fusion

YouTube
Old 1st October 2018
Old 1st October 2018
I've been helping out testing Fusion and spitballing with Andy Jackson at SSL during its design. I don't mean to step on any SSL toes here as I'm sure the lovely people there will be wading in with far more detail than I have, but I had one here in my little room for a week or so and thoroughly put it through its paces, as well as a test session at SSL HQ.

Let me know if you have any questions about my experience with it.

Last edited by TonyD; 1st October 2018 at 07:41 PM.. Reason: Added photo
Old 1st October 2018
Lives for gear
Pots stepped? Recall?
Old 1st October 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by amit monga View Post
Pots stepped? Recall?
Besides the HPF, no, no stepped pots or recall.
Old 1st October 2018
Lives for gear

2495$
Old 1st October 2018
Gear Nut

Does it come in a plugin? Hahahahahaha!!!!
Old 1st October 2018
Gear Addict

I'm in love!
Old 1st October 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
I've been helping out testing Fusion and spitballing with Andy Jackson at SSL during its design. I don't mean to step on any SSL toes here as I'm sure the lovely people there will be wading in with far more detail than I have, but I had one here in my little room for a week or so and thoroughly put it through its paces, as well as a test session at SSL HQ.

Can you elaborate on the EQ and the transformer sound? Is the overdrive similar to VHD?

Is this part of a new product line?

Why no recall or stepped pots?

Can you use the m/s as a stereo widener and also a hardware insert at the same time...?
Old 1st October 2018
My comments

1. A compressor just for the top end to reduce harshness in cymbals etc is very nice since it won't affect the rest of the mix. Yes there are plug in multi bands comps out there but I have a feeling this is going to sound much better.

2. It seems like the transformer adds some subtle weight to a mix. I like this and that you can turn it on or off.

3. The EQ seems like their version of a tilt EQ which is very interesting.

4. Adding harmonic distortion is nice and it usually sounds best with subtle adjustment. It may be very similar to the VHD mic pre. I might buy a second VDX for my X Rack and try running mixes through it. SSl has a plug in that does something similar too.

5. Stereo image.... I don't use it that often but when I do, I use the one in Cubase when I want to enhance a mix......usually a mix that is older and needs some freshness. Hardware usually has a little more solid sound compared to software.
Old 1st October 2018
Here for the gear

wonder how this stacks up against the silver bullet or tegeler creme
Old 1st October 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomiBabi View Post
Can you elaborate on the EQ and the transformer sound? Is the overdrive similar to VHD?
Sure. The EQ is an extremely broad 'sweetening' style EQ which, although it has frequency centre points, the curve extends far beyond them. I found a little goes a long way, and it's aimed at being a top-and-bottom enhancer. At first glance I felt that the frequency points were rather close together, but because the curves are so broad they make a lot of sense in practice.

The transformer is subtle - a 'make better' button. It's certainly not a night and day difference when switched in and out, but it does VERY nice things to the transients and glossiness of the mix. I found it made the mix feel slightly more cohesive and expensive-sounding, and didn't encounter a situation where the mix sounded better without it.

As far as I understand it, the Vintage Drive circuitry has its foundations in the VHD circuit, but it's pretty far removed from it. The DRIVE knob controls input level into the circuit, while DENSITY changes the character of the distortion. While the VHD circuitry in SSL mic amps has the option of swinging between 2nd or 3rd order harmonics, this circuit begins there, while swinging much further into darker, thicker, more syrupy and extreme settings. The further round you go, especially beyond the mid-point, the heftier and more characterful the sound becomes.

Quote:
Is this part of a new product line?
I don't know whether further products in this style/format are being developed, but I'm not privy to any.

Quote:
Ultimately a question for the SSL bods, but I believe stepped pots would have added significant cost.

Quote:
Can you use the m/s as a stereo widener and also a hardware insert at the same time...?
As far as I know the M/S mode only refers to the insert point itself, so you can EQ or compress in M/S mode rather than straightforward L/R mode. It's totally separate from the stereo width and space controls on the unit.
Old 1st October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
They bring this as a productiontool, not as a masteringtool, that's why.
Old 1st October 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbackdoor View Post
Yeah, looks more like a tool to adjust before the mixing process.
Old 1st October 2018
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD View Post

How colorful is the unit overall and how colorful and pronounced is the "vintage drive"? Can't lie this box is verrrrry interesting to me.
Old 1st October 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstrwzrd View Post
How colorful is the unit overall and how colorful and pronounced is the "vintage drive"? Can't lie this box is verrrrry interesting to me.
Anywhere from very subtle to totally overblown - especially if you push the input level to the unit. The palette of colour in the Vintage Drive section is extremely wide.

The LED indicator has three colours - green, orange and red. In the green zone, the colour is subtle. Orange is quite obvious colour. Red is serious levels of distortion - designed not so much with the mix buss in mind, but more for stems that require a significant level of saturation.
Old 1st October 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONNO View Post
wonder how this stacks up against the silver bullet or tegeler creme
It’s another option. Another flavor. None will be “better” than the other.

Silver Bullet wasn’t for me. Neve transformers make aggressive drums sound like they are wearing big bunny slippers. The mid poke of the API was cool back in the 2” days but in the DAW age that mid API poke out bothers me to no end.

Can honestly say, once I get to test drive one, this Fusion box may be my first outboard hardware purchase in years.
Old 1st October 2018
Gear Addict

I’ ve been looking for a unit with these exact features forever. It ticks all the most desirable features I could ask for in one box.
I cannot believe it came from SSL eventually. They were the last company I would have expected to release a Neve-ish box with the clever layout of the latest Dangerous units.

SSL TAKE MY MONEY ALREADY!

My Sigma and G-Bus are waiting to meet their new brother...
Old 1st October 2018
Lives for gear

What is space ?
Old 1st October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
What is space ?
good Q
manual:

The STEREO IMAGE circuit allows for true mid-side processing within Fusion. Mid-Side is a technique commonly used in mastering that separates a stereo signal into 2 channels - one for the sounds in the centre (mid) of a stereo image and the other for the sounds on the edges of the stereo image (side). The WIDTH allows you to increase the level of the side signal only, to generally widen or narrow the stereo image. The SPACE control allows you to experiment with a broad boost or cut of bass frequencies in the side signal and this feature is based upon the often overlooked but quite brilliant ‘Stereo Shuf ing’ processing technique. Many people think of wanting to remove bass from the side signals but this SPACE control may have you re-thinking that approach as you can inject some really interesting depth effects into the mix. SPACE settings beyond +4dB on whole mixes may be too extreme, so try between +2dB and +4dB to start with.
Attached Thumbnails
Solid State Logic Launches Fusion-screen-shot-2018-10-01-3.35.21-pm.png  
Old 2nd October 2018
This looks good!!
Old 2nd October 2018
Lives for gear

Interesting , flip phase of lows in sides would be killer if we want to go further in that directon
Old 2nd October 2018
Lives for gear

Going to have to demo this unit.
Old 2nd October 2018
I really like the idea behind that unit and I’m curios to hear it in action but I find it disappointing that the pioneering company that has brought Total Recall to the world and has spent so much money and efforts to develop the MDAC technology which allows instant reset and full automation like in the Duality, AWS and Sigma lines has built a non recallable processor for the spot where recall ability matters the most like the mix bus and mastering..

I’d love to know if SSL are aiming more for the home user now after the company has been sold,

As a long time SSL client with SSL mixing desks and outboard gear in both of my studios this is certainly not what I would expect to see from SSL, a company who has long been famous for its leadership in cutting edge studio technology.

I hope it doesn’t mean anything else about the future plans of this great company.

I’ve watched the promo video and honestly felt a bit sad and worried for the future of a company who used to be able to invent technologies no one else ever could ! Now designing your own transformer is being considered as an achievement ? Come on guys..I know some guys who does it in their basements.

Last edited by TanTan; 2nd October 2018 at 12:44 AM..
Old 2nd October 2018
Gear Head

The video mentioned it was built on the 9000 SuperAnalog foundation. Does it impart that family of sound like from the aws, sigma and xrack buss compressor?

I think it’s cool that with a smart c2 you could compress stereo/dual mono pre or post eq or go mid side compression.

I see this box as being the introduction to large scale master buss processing in the analog domain for a lot of ITB users. Fusion would seem to replace some commonly used ITB processes but with the insert point you could still go back in for dynamics processing chains, tape simulations etc. A lot of possibilities if used in a hybrid manner within itself. Wish I had more than a 2x6 card.

I think it’s pretty killer.
Old 2nd October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanTan View Post
I really like the idea behind that unit and I’m curios to hear it in action but I find it disappointing that the pioneering company that has brought Total Recall to the world and has spent so much money and efforts to develop the MDAC technology which allows instant reset and full automation like in the Duality, AWS and Sigma lines has built a non recallable processor for the spot where recall ability matters the most like the mix bus and mastering..

I’d love to know if SSL are aiming more for the home user now after the company has been sold,

As a long time SSL client with SSL mixing desks and outboard gear in both of my studios this is certainly not what I would expect to see from SSL, a company who has long been famous for its leadership in cutting edge studio technology.

I hope it doesn’t mean anything else about the future plans of this great company.

I’ve watched the promo video and honestly felt a bit sad and worried for the future of a company who used to be able to invent technologies no one else ever could ! Now designing your own transformer is being considered as an achievement ? Come on guys..I know some guys who does it in their basements.
I think they are still very forward thinking .plus they went into live consoles , which is smart
..After a Mic pre and/or channel strip to record with, the first thing people look for in HW is 2 bus comp or eq or transformers etc etc
The computer does recall better than any board
There’s a lot of classics ..
Without recall
There is a recall sheet on the last page of the manual to print
The price point is key as well

Last edited by rectifried; 2nd October 2018 at 02:28 AM..
Old 2nd October 2018
i wasn't that impressed by the demo vid.. kinda thinkin for that amount of money i'd rather go for a Rupert Neve Portico II Master Buss Processor ..
Old 2nd October 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbackdoor View Post
with the features offered here..that does not make sense to me..
Old 2nd October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightOnRome View Post
i wasn't that impressed by the demo vid.. kinda thinkin for that amount of money i'd rather go for a Rupert Neve Portico II Master Buss Processor ..
RND mbp is 4K
This fusion is 2495

Last edited by rectifried; 2nd October 2018 at 05:11 AM..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search