The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Solid State Logic Launches Fusion
Old 14th October 2019
  #301
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushyman View Post
I would like to get someone’s opinion on what order in the master bus chain should the Fusion go. Should I use it before or after my mixbus compressor? I would love to hear some thoughts on this.
Mine goes after the comp. If the comp is grabbing too much low end but I like how it's pumping the mix it's then easy to add the low back in with the Fusion.

I do lots of electronic music, don't know if this approach would work as well for other genres
Old 14th October 2019
  #302
Tried the default insert point on the Fusion right before the stereo section and like it so far. Before I had the Fusion after the compressor.
Old 14th October 2019
  #303
Lives for gear
 
Lupez's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by kushyman View Post
I would like to get someone’s opinion on what order in the master bus chain should the Fusion go. Should I use it before or after my mixbus compressor? I would love to hear some thoughts on this.
You should use it as insert point within Fusion.
I use mine pre eq.
Old 15th October 2019
  #304
Quote:
Originally Posted by kushyman View Post
I would like to get someone’s opinion on what order in the master bus chain should the Fusion go. Should I use it before or after my mixbus compressor? I would love to hear some thoughts on this.
Fusion is usually last in my chain before returning to the computer, but I have its inserts in my patchbay so it's easy to move the compressor that is before the SSL around if I want to try it in a different position or utilize the M/S matrix.
Old 15th October 2019
  #305
Gear Nut
Thanks for all the replies. I have mine on the insert of mixbus A on my XL Desk I send into the fusion first then I hit the RED 3 then back into the return. My thought process is use the 30hz hi pass and the drive before the comp, but if everyone feels it should be last in the chain I’ll have to swap it around and give it go.
Old 15th October 2019
  #306
Quote:
Originally Posted by kushyman View Post
Thanks for all the replies. I have mine on the insert of mixbus A on my XL Desk I send into the fusion first then I hit the RED 3 then back into the return. My thought process is use the 30hz hi pass and the drive before the comp, but if everyone feels it should be last in the chain I’ll have to swap it around and give it go.
Do what sounds good to you. Simple move, EQ and process a mix and then put the Red before and after it and compare. As I said, I like the default post drive / EQ / HF Comp insert on the Fusion right now.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #307
Gear Addict
 
Avantmidi's Avatar
As a enthusiastic SSL Nucleus & SSL Sigma owner I drove 200KM extra this night to pick up:

1: An iLok dongle wich I need to run the Sigma Delta Plugins (€50,-). Not ideal but unfortunately there is no native (Ilokless) version right now.

2: A brand spanking new Fusion.

I'm not lucky I guess. I just unpacked it from the mint white factory box.
All seemed in perfect order. But....The right rackear is heavily bended...:(
So it went straight in the box again of course.
I emailed my dealer about this directly.
I'm sure I will get sent another unit asap.
Still though a disappointment.
Seems like I got unlucky with a Quality Control Issue.
Probably 1 in a million..

Still looking forward to add a perfect SSL Fusion to my rack.
Unfortunately not this particular one for sure...
Attached Thumbnails
Solid State Logic Launches Fusion-1.jpg   Solid State Logic Launches Fusion-2.jpg   Solid State Logic Launches Fusion-3.jpg   Solid State Logic Launches Fusion-4.jpg  

Last edited by Avantmidi; 4 weeks ago at 08:04 PM..
Old 4 weeks ago
  #308
That sucks, man. Hope you get a replacement one soon. Still very happy with it. The first weeks I messed around with it only on finished mixes. When I started a new mix with it on the 2bus from the start was when I really went “this is really awesome“.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #309
Gear Addict
 
Avantmidi's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchlomo View Post
That sucks, man. Hope you get a replacement one soon. Still very happy with it. The first weeks I messed around with it only on finished mixes. When I started a new mix with it on the 2bus from the start was when I really went “this is really awesome“.
Everything will get sorted out fine. I'm sure. It's in progress.
Good to hear you are still very happy with it.
I intend to use it primarily in two ways.

1: Mixing in to it:

Apollo 16MK2 outputs ->

SSL Sigma slightly clipping the masterbuss for a tiny bit of saturation/compression. Sigma does this very well. It is very hard to break. Headroom for ages even when te metering goes into the red it still sound clear en open. ->

SSl Fusion to enhance the 2bus mix using the various icings on the the thick clear cake.

2: Tracking my iPad through it in the production fase

I use various synth and drum machine apps. Also youtube as an insanely perfect sampling source. The smartest en biggest crate ever The Fusion is then used to sculpt te sound the way in. Hands-on the Analog desk kinda way. Bit of saturation, bit of low cut, Simple EQ here, there, Mono/Stereo, Tansformalize it an level out the volume so it sits nicely from the get go. And next...

Sigma i-jack input -> Fusion -> Apollo in

Looking forward to it very much. The setup/rack is waiting to slide it in above the Sigma.
Will make some showcase video's once it's all running and will post them on Youtube.
Attached Thumbnails
Solid State Logic Launches Fusion-img_5609.jpg  
Old 4 weeks ago
  #310
Lives for gear
 
Lupez's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avantmidi View Post
Everything will get sorted out fine. I'm sure. It's in progress.
Good to hear you are still very happy with it.
I intend to use it primarily in two ways.

1: Mixing in to it:

Apollo 16MK2 outputs ->

SSL Sigma slightly clipping the masterbuss for a tiny bit of saturation/compression. Sigma does this very well. It is very hard to break. Headroom for ages even when te metering goes into the red it still sound clear en open. ->

SSl Fusion to enhance the 2bus mix using the various icings on the the thick clear cake.

2: Tracking my iPad through it in the production fase

I use various synth and drum machine apps. Also youtube as an insanely perfect sampling source. The smartest en biggest crate ever The Fusion is then used to sculpt te sound the way in. Hands-on the Analog desk kinda way. Bit of saturation, bit of low cut, Simple EQ here, there, Mono/Stereo, Tansformalize it an level out the volume so it sits nicely from the get go. And next...

Sigma i-jack input -> Fusion -> Apollo in

Looking forward to it very much. The setup/rack is waiting to slide it in above the Sigma.
Will make some showcase video's once it's all running and will post them on Youtube.
That's a nice room you have there. I like the desk a lot.
I use Sigma the exact same way and your description is spot on.
You'll enjoy Fusion, especially if you like to add further loudness to your mixes.
To me 7,5 on the drive and 6,5 on density is the perfect sweet spot, you just need to keep your input levels consistent.

May I suggest you sample from YT digitally, via Soundflower or similar, rather than using the iPad output? the conversion on those mobile devices sucks!

cheers
Old 4 weeks ago
  #311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupez View Post
That's a nice room you have there. I like the desk a lot.
I use Sigma the exact same way and your description is spot on.
You'll enjoy Fusion, especially if you like to add further loudness to your mixes.
To me 7,5 on the drive and 6,5 on density is the perfect sweet spot, you just need to keep your input levels consistent.

May I suggest you sample from YT digitally, via Soundflower or similar, rather than using the iPad output? the conversion on those mobile devices sucks!

cheers
How's your input typically or that said what's the light showing in the drive section? Curious because that seems like a really high setting on drive. I come in with plenty of headroom at around -18 RMS average.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #312
Lives for gear
 
Lupez's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchlomo View Post
How's your input typically or that said what's the light showing in the drive section? Curious because that seems like a really high setting on drive. I come in with plenty of headroom at around -18 RMS average.
I’m not in the studio right now but I would have to do some math.
I output from Sigma at a fairly high level but then trim all the way down at the input stage of Fusion. This because I smash the mix bus on Sigma so lowering the level on Fusion is necessary. I do it at the input stage because otherwise I would crap out the GBus compressor which is in the insert path of Fusion. Output level needs little trimming to see an average of -6dbFS on the DAW with a quite high average RMS level.
If my calculations are correct I am getting around 6dbs of added loudness with the combined use of saturation and the gbus compression (fastest attack).
Old 4 weeks ago
  #313
Gear Addict
 
Avantmidi's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupez View Post
May I suggest you sample from YT digitally, via Soundflower or similar, rather than using the iPad output? the conversion on those mobile devices sucks!

cheers
You have a point there. Using the lightning to usb cable works nicely 2 nowadays.
OSX supports iOS devices a audio inputs. Selectable in your DAW as a Audio IN.
I have pretty good experiences with beefing up the analog output of my iPad Pro en tracking it via my Apollo 16MK2's AD's.
iPad->Sigma->Fusion-AD. Then but a 8 bit effect on top of it with a Tape sim with some hiss...
It's all good in the hood!
Old 4 weeks ago
  #314
Lives for gear
 
Lupez's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avantmidi View Post
You have a point there. Using the lightning to usb cable works nicely 2 nowadays.
OSX supports iOS devices a audio inputs. Selectable in your DAW as a Audio IN.
that's a great tip!
Old 4 weeks ago
  #315
Lives for gear
 
djrustycans's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupez View Post
I’m not in the studio right now but I would have to do some math.
I output from Sigma at a fairly high level but then trim all the way down at the input stage of Fusion. This because I smash the mix bus on Sigma so lowering the level on Fusion is necessary. I do it at the input stage because otherwise I would crap out the GBus compressor which is in the insert path of Fusion. Output level needs little trimming to see an average of -6dbFS on the DAW with a quite high average RMS level.
If my calculations are correct I am getting around 6dbs of added loudness with the combined use of saturation and the gbus compression (fastest attack).
Fastest attack?! .1ms?? Really curious to know why and how this works on mixbus! How many db of gain reduction are you using? I only ever use 30ms attack...
Old 4 weeks ago
  #316
Lives for gear
 
Lupez's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by djrustycans View Post
Fastest attack?! .1ms?? Really curious to know why and how this works on mixbus! How many db of gain reduction are you using? I only ever use 30ms attack...
I got this from Bob Clearmountain.
0.1 attack, fast release (according to song) 4:1 ratio, 3-4db of compression.

At first I thought the same but then I realized it works great.
It can also sound terrible so don't just slap it on the main bus and think you're done - you need to build the mix into it, and this is where the double saturation stage of Sigma and Fusion helps.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #317
Lives for gear
 
djrustycans's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupez View Post
I got this from Bob Clearmountain.
0.1 attack, fast release (according to song) 4:1 ratio, 3-4db of compression.

At first I thought the same but then I realized it works great.
It can also sound terrible so don't just slap it on the main bus and think you're done - you need to build the mix into it, and this is where the double saturation stage of Sigma and Fusion helps.
Wow, interesting! I’m using a hardware SSL clone (Neko SL4000) in Silver Bullet inserts but always avoided fast attack on mixbus but I do love the sound of this comp on that setting for other things. Will have to try!
Old 4 weeks ago
  #318
Quote:
Originally Posted by djrustycans View Post
Wow, interesting! I’m using a hardware SSL clone (Neko SL4000) in Silver Bullet inserts but always avoided fast attack on mixbus but I do love the sound of this comp on that setting for other things. Will have to try!
I also never got used to fast attack times on SSLs. But it's really a matter of taste and the individual mixing approach. Andy Wallace uses 1ms and auto release, Brauer uses longest attack but since getting the Obsidian switched ratio to 10:1. Both approaches don't work for me, don't know why exactly, but it does for them. They approach their mix accordingly. Whenever I pull up a mix on the AWS in the studio and the chief engineer did the mix before the G comp is set to very fast attack (1ms) or lower, but he uses low ratios, 1,5:1 or 2:1. Sounds great on his mixes. Sucks on mine. I almost always use 4:1, 30ms and fastest release.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupez View Post
I’m not in the studio right now but I would have to do some math.
I output from Sigma at a fairly high level but then trim all the way down at the input stage of Fusion. This because I smash the mix bus on Sigma so lowering the level on Fusion is necessary. I do it at the input stage because otherwise I would crap out the GBus compressor which is in the insert path of Fusion. Output level needs little trimming to see an average of -6dbFS on the DAW with a quite high average RMS level.
If my calculations are correct I am getting around 6dbs of added loudness with the combined use of saturation and the gbus compression (fastest attack).
Thanx for elaborating. Is your drive LED orange all the time? I usually go for green with regular orange flashes in louder sections or hits.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #320
Lives for gear
 
djrustycans's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchlomo View Post
I also never got used to fast attack times on SSLs. But it's really a matter of taste and the individual mixing approach. Andy Wallace uses 1ms and auto release, Brauer uses longest attack but since getting the Obsidian switched ratio to 10:1. Both approaches don't work for me, don't know why exactly, but it does for them. They approach their mix accordingly. Whenever I pull up a mix on the AWS in the studio and the chief engineer did the mix before the G comp is set to very fast attack (1ms) or lower, but he uses low ratios, 1,5:1 or 2:1. Sounds great on his mixes. Sucks on mine. I almost always use 4:1, 30ms and fastest release.
Cheers for the info - crazy what works for some! Definitely going to give the 1ms Att, Auto Rel. a go - maybe that will help reduce the transient punch a bit which I sometimes feel is a problem when using electronic drum samples.

Maybe it’s just me but plugin comps seem to always accentuate the transients to the point where any extra bus compression results in uncomfortable attack on drums. It’s a different story when talking about relatively unprocessed acoustic drums.

Back on topic - I’ve been intending to try the Fusion out on Analog Access. Hopefully when I finish up with the next mix!
Old 4 weeks ago
  #321
Lives for gear
 
Lupez's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchlomo View Post
Thanx for elaborating. Is your drive LED orange all the time? I usually go for green with regular orange flashes in louder sections or hits.
I’m more towards orange with occasional red on peaks. Doesn’t sound overdriven to me, only louder. The signal is already quite chopped by Sigma and the Vintage Drive adds a nice rounded color to the sound. Also, my GBus is inserted Pre Eq so it basically compresses only the midrange hence you can use fastest attack times without killing everything. it basically works as a hi pass filter for the compressor.
In the end you have to control peaks if you want to achieve commercial loudness...
Old 3 weeks ago
  #322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupez View Post
I’m more towards orange with occasional red on peaks. Doesn’t sound overdriven to me, only louder. The signal is already quite chopped by Sigma and the Vintage Drive adds a nice rounded color to the sound. Also, my GBus is inserted Pre Eq so it basically compresses only the midrange hence you can use fastest attack times without killing everything. it basically works as a hi pass filter for the compressor.
In the end you have to control peaks if you want to achieve commercial loudness...
Absolutely, and whatever works. Thanx for elaborating. I can see the idea now. Will try it, very curious. I have my G-Comp inserted post EQ as I like the way it reacts when pushing some highs and lows into it. With the long attack this works great. Fat and controlled. Before it all is a customised Brauerizing setup with a lot of parallel stuff that keeps peaks in check quite well.
Old 19 hours ago
  #323
Gear Addict
 
Avantmidi's Avatar
I got a new unit! it’s really is a great device.
The transformer is pretty amazing.
The eq and stereo width are great too.
The Sigma->Fusion->Hedd192 is a stellar chain.
Attached Thumbnails
Solid State Logic Launches Fusion-c9c9c327-6212-43a6-a127-f38a873d995b.jpg  
Old 13 hours ago
  #324
Lives for gear
 
Lupez's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avantmidi View Post
I got a new unit! it’s really is a great device.
The transformer is pretty amazing.
The eq and stereo width are great too.
The Sigma->Fusion->Hedd192 is a stellar chain.
Congrats on the setup.
You're crushing those levels !!
Old 11 hours ago
  #325
Gear Addict
 
Avantmidi's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupez View Post
Congrats on the setup.
You're crushing those levels !!
Thanks! The hedd is used to lightly shave off some peaks. Works and sounds great!
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump