The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
sonible releases smart:EQ 2
Old 1st October 2018
News Desk Editor

sonible releases smart:EQ 2-sonible-smarteq-2_slider-1.jpg

With smart:EQ 2, the high-end audio plug-in maker sonible releases the first major update of their intelligent equalizer smart:EQ. smart:EQ 2 combines state-of-the-art A.I. algorithms with the latest psychoacoustic research and decades of mixing and mastering experience. A completely re-designed interfaces offers users a significantly expanded set of features and an even more intuitive workflow.

With the update to version 2.0, smart:EQ receives a completely revamped graphical user interface, new filter types and an extended version of the award-winning smart:filter. smart:EQ 2 allows for fast global tonal changes as well as surgical precise EQing adjustments. For studio and post production professionals, smart:EQ 2 speeds up repetitive EQing tasks. At the same time, musicians and aspiring beginners in sound engineering can process self-made recordings with more confidence.

Ladies & Gentlemen, start your smart:engines – CPU-friendly and smooth workflow
The unique smart:filter is the heart of smart:EQ 2. It is a self-learning A.I. filter that compensates for spectral imbalances. The A.I. analyses recordings in seconds and then gives users the option to individually weigh the intelligently computed filter curves. smart:EQ 2’s unparalleled equalizer technology is informed by bringing state-of-the-art algorithms and the development team’s years of hands-on sound engineering experience together.

New smart:filter features: profiles and states
As with the smart:EQ live plug-in, different "profiles" ensure the ideal adaptation of smart:EQ 2 to the respective sound source of the input signal. sonible has developed 20 factory profiles included in the plug-in in close cooperation with top international producers and sound engineers and tested them in various production environments. In addition, users have the option to save own profiles and to transfer them to other sessions or share them with friends.

One major improvement of the smart:EQ 2 is the new “states” option. This feature allows you to save different states of the intelligent filter curve. States can also be automated, which simplifies the editing of dialogues in film post production and of contrasting sections within songs.

More functions, intuitive workflow – major feature update in a completely new look
With smart:EQ 2, sonible offers a multitude of new functions while simultaneously increasing the usability of the plug-in. In close cooperation with the support team, feature requests by users were analyzed and integrated into the new product design. After intensive beta testing, the developers optimized the GUI for a smooth studio workflow. The result is a go-to EQ for any mixing or mastering task.

The new interface includes a dedicated smart:filter section, an analyzer, as well as new filter types, including tilt filters. In designing the new GUI concept, special attention was paid to integrating the mid/side functionality. The innovative side panning offers users new possibilities for placing sound sources inside the stereo image while maintaining the stability and presence of the mid sound components.

The modular feature sections turn smart:EQ 2 into a tool that adapts quickly to any situation in the studio. Users can set their current priorities in the mixing process and thus always keeps his productive focus. Musical coloration, detailed mastering, transparent mixing and complex film & TV productions are among the applications the plug-in feels most comfortable with.

Compatibility:
Mac: AU, VST2, AAX
Windows: VST2 (32/64 bit), VST3, AAX
Supported sample rates 44.1 kHz to 192 kHz
Authorization: machine-based or iLok

Price: € 89 intro offer (reg. € 129)

For more information: smart:EQ 2 | The Intelligent Equalizer Plug-in by sonible
Attached Thumbnails
sonible releases smart:EQ 2-sonible-smarteq-2_slider-1.jpg  
Old 1st October 2018
Lives for gear

Looks interesting. Does anyone know how the update/ upgrade conditions from smart eq+ are?
Old 1st October 2018
unr
Gear Maniac

From freiraum Upgrade Intro offer is 9.90€
Had an email 2 hours ago.
I own freiraum since approx. 1 year.
Old 1st October 2018
Lives for gear

Thank you Sonible crew for a lovely update!
Old 1st October 2018
Lives for gear

I bought SmartEQ+ on Plugin Boutique, what's the process to receive the customer discount for me? There's nowhere on Sonible's website to register my serial...
Old 1st October 2018
Gear Head

Sonible please check your emails, some of us haven't received upgrade from freiraum coupons.
Old 1st October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by V4nger View Post
I bought SmartEQ+ on Plugin Boutique, what's the process to receive the customer discount for me? There's nowhere on Sonible's website to register my serial...
Exactly my problem. I emailed them and waiting for reply....
Old 1st October 2018
Lives for gear

Mmm... Also, why no zero latency option??? That is THE MOST IMPORTANT aspect that needed an update in my opinion. It would be perfect if it had that and surely that would have been a MAJOR point of feedback from the customer base, SURELY?!
Old 1st October 2018
Deleted b738100
Quote:
Mmm... Also, why no zero latency option??? That is THE MOST IMPORTANT aspect that needed an update in my opinion. It would be perfect if it had that and surely that would have been a MAJOR point of feedback from the customer base, SURELY?!
smart:EQ live – Experience your new live workflow
Old 1st October 2018
Lives for gear

This plugin is absolutely amazing! Mix basically makes itself when you position the faders. You just adjust strength to your liking and apply hi-pass where necessary
Old 1st October 2018
Gear Maniac

Smart EQ 2 is working great at recalling the settings in Cubase for 48khz projects!
The new tilt eq is a really nice surprise. I really like the way it handles a full mix as well. Some excellent analysis must have went into that algorithm. I haven't figured out how to do more than one auto filter though. I might have to actually read the instructions. It appears to be significantly lighter on CPU as well but I've only spent a little bit of time with it.
Old 1st October 2018
Lives for gear

I'm aware of SmartEQ Live but it doesn't have the same kind of functionality. Multiple bands rather than simple 'crossovers' that Live employs. If zero latency works for Live then why not include it in the options for SmartEQ 2 which has higher resolution spectral corrections and a greater number of bands. It just makes sense but maybe they're trying to force people to buy Live. Which is just stupid in my opinion when SmartEQ could have practically perfect functionality with both Linear Phase and Zero Latency options available depending on what you need it for.

As it is, it's almost useless for mixing highly technical electronic music such as drum and bass with synthetic drums and sharp transients as it induces pre-ringing, even at fairly conservative amounts of gain. Like seriously, just why not give it the option, is what I'd like to know!

Old 1st October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Same here. I got the email with the upgrade offer but I don’t see anywhere to enter the discount code at the checkout.
Old 1st October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyzygis View Post
Same here. I got the email with the upgrade offer but I don’t see anywhere to enter the discount code at the checkout.
I haven't even got the offer yet cos I bought from Plugin Boutique... No registration with Sonible themselves so I'm waiting for an answer from them.

Also, I really wonder why they removed the ability to have multiple 'smart' or 'magic' bands. That was really cool because you could individually record and shape the spectrum as you wished.

No zero latency mode and a certain loss of functionality which was pretty cool for me... I'm glad I have the original as well!

This does work well though but damn... Linear phase on drums just sucks a little bit for me... Fine for sound design where I can chop the ring off but jesus, I just can't get over the fact that they left that out!

uhhh...

Old 1st October 2018
If makes everything tonally balanced, and going by their piano example, it appears to level out frequencies to roughly the same loudness, then what happens when you stack 12 tracks that have been "tonally balanced", ie, flattened over their spectrum?
Old 1st October 2018
Gear Maniac

If you have a busy mix, ie 12 pianos, try using the inverse curve by pulling the node down underneath the 0db line on tracks that need to blend more than be featured.
Old 1st October 2018
Lives for gear

Got another criticism.

The state selection is a scale of 100 points. Meaning that the cool new state feature for different parts of the song can't even be reliably selected until you learn where exactly state 1 turns into state 2 and so on.

Bit of an oversight here clearly because surely it would work best if my state 1 which is for an intro or a particular section of an instrument or sound could then be switched to the main riff/sequence/whatever by simply selecting 2. Have a custom scale like many plugins utilise. For example different filters have different scales for their frequency range, clearly a custom control made by the developer.

I really like this plugin and I'll defo be buying it because it's super cool and I love the original SmartEQ, and because I can use something like Defilter by Acon Digital for my zero latency, spectral shaping needs which is also superior in some ways as there is direct control over the learning period. Something I wish SmartEQ 2 would have (along with non-Linear Phase filters), whereby I can allow an entire sound to imprint itself upon the algorithm if I so wish, thus providing the filter with a complete image to work with.

Or adjust the learning time to a particular time period like 4 bars exactly for example.

Or just allow it to do its thing if I want.

I can achieve a very similar result with Defilter with the overall rebalancing of the sound though SmartEQ does have a special sound to it for sure.

So many opportunities missed in my eyes, which are mere expansions of current functionality, not entire new features which would be a pain to implement (as far as I can see anyway! )

I had pretty high hopes for the update as you can probably all see. And to be honest they weren't entirely met!

I am slightly disappointed to be perfectly honest despite the fact that it is an incredible tool. It could just be THAT much better for just a little bit more implementation of certain things. Most plugins I can just take or leave or they just flat out excel but here I feel that certain things were missed or were intentionally left out to make sure SmartEQ Live could still be a desirable option.
Old 1st October 2018
Gear Addict

New to this company and smart EQ, I've got Gulfoss and Acon Defilter. Gulfoss is the closest in use and it's a nice little tidier of audio but I much preferred what smart EQ got up to on a 3/4 finished mix.

I've liked Gulfoss for tidying up my slightly muddy mixes but I tend to use it quite sparingly. There is a definite improvement of the spectral balance when A/B ing but it can be quite subtle. It's a finishing plugin, the icing on the cake.

SmartEQ made some bolder moves, dipped a load of high frequency, boosted bass end and some mid boosts and cuts. I had to make a few adjustments but when I A/B'd it was an obvious tonal improvement to the sound of my mix. It's definitely wetted my appetite to explore further.

Does the saving of profiles differ from say Fabfilter Q2? Q2 records the spectrum
of the source and then calculates the difference from the target and derives a filter that way, I was just wondering whether there is anything more intelligent about it as they mention AI?

(Edit) I guess I should read the manual more often, as the custom profiles are only for edits of the factory profiles.
Old 1st October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 6th Beatle View Post
New to this company and smart EQ, I've got Gulfoss and Acon Defilter. Gulfoss is the closest in use and it's a nice little tidier of audio but I much preferred what smart EQ got up to on a 3/4 finished mix.

I've liked Gulfoss for tidying up my slightly muddy mixes but I tend to use it quite sparingly. There is a definite improvement of the spectral balance when A/B ing but it can be quite subtle. It's a finishing plugin, the icing on the cake.

SmartEQ made some bolder moves, dipped a load of high frequency, boosted bass end and some mid boosts and cuts. I had to make a few adjustments but when I A/B'd it was an obvious tonal improvement to the sound of my mix. It's definitely wetted my appetite to explore further.

Does the saving of profiles differ from say Fabfilter Q2? Q2 records the spectrum
of the source and then calculates the difference from the target and derives a filter that way, I was just wondering whether there is anything more intelligent about it as they mention AI?
That's piqued my interest. Gullfoss is a great finishing tool, will have to give this a demo tomorrow.
Old 2nd October 2018
Having install crash issues with the 1.0 Installer...Won't get past click to install.

Fixed..

Last edited by KP2020; 2nd October 2018 at 03:17 AM..
Old 2nd October 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
That's piqued my interest. Gullfoss is a great finishing tool, will have to give this a demo tomorrow.
I don't think you'll be disappointed, everything I've thrown at it it's improved. Some of my scratch ideas that somehow get mixed really bad tonally on off days got resurrected and turned into something decent. Gullfoss still adds it's magic on top, so it's not a replacement piece imo, of course static versus realtime curves aside.
Old 2nd October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyzygis View Post
I was able to upgrade with the discount code on the desktop computer. I wasn’t able on the iPhone.
Very nice upgrade.
Old 2nd October 2018
Gear Nut

I haven't received a discount code and bout the EQ+ Bundle over a year ago... hrmmmm. Also, did they make the pre-ring less noticeable on Smart EQ+ 2... Version 1 smeared my transients wayyyyyy too much for me to use... would end up using Q-Clone to copy the eq curve over to a minimal phase option.
Old 2nd October 2018
Here for the gear

Plugin Boutique has the smart EQ 2 upgrade <$10.
Old 2nd October 2018
Gear Head

Can someone please PM me Eq2 from Freiraum upgrade code?
Think it's the same for all Freiraum owners.
I still haven't received it and their support is terribly slow...last time I waited over a week.
Old 2nd October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jantex View Post
This plugin is absolutely amazing! Mix basically makes itself when you position the faders. You just adjust strength to your liking and apply hi-pass where necessary
Quote:
I don't think you'll be disappointed, everything I've thrown at it it's improved. Some of my scratch ideas that somehow get mixed really bad tonally on off days got resurrected and turned into something decent. Gullfoss still adds it's magic on top, so it's not a replacement piece imo, of course static versus realtime curves aside.
Spent a little time with this mixing and I'm quite shocked as to how effective it is. Need to spend more time with it before commenting fully.
Old 2nd October 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanandroid View Post
I haven't received a discount code and bout the EQ+ Bundle over a year ago... hrmmmm. Also, did they make the pre-ring less noticeable on Smart EQ+ 2... Version 1 smeared my transients wayyyyyy too much for me to use... would end up using Q-Clone to copy the eq curve over to a minimal phase option.
I've not noticed any smearing myself, it sounds great to my ear, but I will test it out more thoroughly now you've said that.

If you can try it yourself and make a comment on your findings that could be useful.
Old 2nd October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've not noticed any smearing myself, it sounds great to my ear, but I will test it out more thoroughly now you've said that.

If you can try it yourself and make a comment on your findings that could be useful.
To be honest, I have successfully used it on a drum bus without any preringing issues. Of course, it didn't have to work alot, but whatever it did, it really helped with balance and clarity with an amazing and superbly efficient manner.
Old 2nd October 2018
Gear Maniac

So this plugin is basically like Trackspacer, but in an EQ form?
Old 2nd October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead1 View Post
So this plugin is basically like Trackspacer, but in an EQ form?
No, TrackSpacer (also excellent) is akin to side chaining a compressor to duck one source under another.

This is an EQ based on (very good) reference/target curves that you can apply to your tracks (snare, kick, keys etc).

Complimentary plugins.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search