The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
sonible releases smart:EQ 2
Old 2nd October 2018
Lives for gear

Haha, same here! Let's hope this works out, and the serial(s) arrive tomorrow.

$59 for both plugins is an instant purchase—no thinking or justification required.

Last edited by JC Biffro; 2nd October 2018 at 09:36 PM..
Old 2nd October 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmelaub View Post
how does this match up to Sound-Theory Gullfoss?

Soundtheory - Reveal your sound

looking to buy one of them.
Different beasts, different results. Static curve vs realtime curve of Gullfoss.

Gullfoss works on the basis that you can tame resonances in your music and recover missing spectral information. Both of these parameters are on sliders that you can independently adjust. Along with Brightness and Bass boost.

It works on the premise of some ideal psychoacoustic curve some guy researched for his PHD or something..can't quite remember off top.

I use Gullfoss as premastering or home mastering and it usually cleans up some low mid build up and puts a bit of shine on it. I've never used it above 15% to be honest, tried it but it doesn't need much if you are fairly good at mixing, it will just give that little mastering tweak that ups the mix another notch.

The main difference between them is Gullfoss tends to go a bit light on bass and always wants to add some sizzle to the highs. It doesn't sound bad but it might not be what your wanting. Of course you can adjust it to taste.

Smart EQ is a bit more heavy handed and seems to prefer a darker sound, which I'm liking as it's adding body in a way that isn't muddying up the mix, just making it feel more powerful.

I'm using it mainly on busses or on full mixes, in fact I'm using both of them together with nice results. The improvement is pretty clear.

On individual tracks it seems as if it's hit or miss, a good sound design helper, and a good resonance tamer although you will probably have to adjust it to taste.
Old 2nd October 2018
Lives for gear

They've (plugin boutique) just sent me an email newsletter explicitly recommending buying frei:raum and then upgrading EQ2+ from that - so it's definitely legit.

Maybe they're about to release frei:raum 2 and will hopefully get an upgrade fee from some of us for that too.... I've no idea why they're doing it! But hey, make hay while the sun shines!
Old 2nd October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutetourettes View Post
They've (plugin boutique) just sent me an email newsletter explicitly recommending buying frei:raum and then upgrading EQ2+ from that - so it's definitely legit.

Maybe they're about to release frei:raum 2 and will hopefully get an upgrade fee from some of us for that too.... I've no idea why they're doing it! But hey, make hay while the sun shines!
Pluginboutique sent me an email stating I could upgrade to EQ2 from Freiraum or EQ+ for $9.00 but after that it always seemed to say I needed to have EQ+ for the $9.00 and it was $59 for the Freiraum upgrade so I'm a bit confused. I took a screen cap of the graphic saying specifically all I needed was Freiraum OR EQ+ for the $9.00 upgrade path and sent it to them for clarification.
Old 2nd October 2018
Gear Nut

After some testing, I like the sound on the new eq2 a lot more than the original smart eq... But like the workflow on the original smart eq much more. I preferred the per-band smart band as opposed to one smart band and a bunch of other bands to help mold it.
Old 3rd October 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanandroid View Post
After some testing, I like the sound on the new eq2 a lot more than the original smart eq... But like the workflow on the original smart eq much more. I preferred the per-band smart band as opposed to one smart band and a bunch of other bands to help mold it.
Using Smart EQ in frei:raum and I agree that it does seem more flexible for working sounds in just one specific frequency range without stepping on everything and then having to dial it back.

If they're listening would be great to have this feature back!
Old 3rd October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Biffro View Post
Haha, same here! Let's hope this works out, and the serial(s) arrive tomorrow.

$59 for both plugins is an instant purchase—no thinking or justification required.
my code just arrived...
Old 3rd October 2018
pho
Gear Head
Quote:

I just received my serial for the smart:eq+ uprade order I placed yesterday for ~9 euros and it worked although I purchased the frei:raum plugin from sonible.

The plugin boutique ad now also states both upgrade possibilities from frei:raum and smart:eq+ here:
Quote:
smart:EQ 2 Upgrade from fre:raum or smart:EQ+, smart:EQ 2 Upgrade from fre:raum or sm

smart:EQ 2 Upgrade from fre:raum or smart:EQ+, smart:EQ 2 Upgrade from fre:raum or smart:EQ+ plugin, buy smart:EQ 2 Upgrade from fre:raum or smart:EQ+, download smart:EQ 2 Upgrade from fre:raum or ...
Old 3rd October 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
my code just arrived...
Mine is there too..registered no problem..possibly the sweetest deal I've ever had, including a free Izotope plugin worth £115..! £427 worth of plugins for £43..it's not illegal but is it ethical..

It's great for us but there's got to be some disgruntled customers who paid full whack.
Old 3rd October 2018
Lives for gear

Can also confirm the EQ2 code worked.

Both Freraum and SmartEQ2 for $59.

#xmascameearlyyy
Old 3rd October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 6th Beatle View Post
Mine is there too..registered no problem..possibly the sweetest deal I've ever had, including a free Izotope plugin worth £115..! £427 worth of plugins for £43..it's not illegal but is it ethical..

It's great for us but there's got to be some disgruntled customers who paid full whack.
Indeed, £43 for f:r and SEQ2 is fantastic. I was prepared to pay the full intro price for SEQ2 alone. Missed the free iZ plugin offer - which was that?
Old 3rd October 2018
Here for the gear

I took the same road to smartEQ2:
bought FREIRAUM from AudioDeluxe and then the around € 10 update from PluginBoutique.
But the strange thing is that nowhere during the checkout on PluginBoutique I had to confirm (with the serial) that I own FREIRAUM.
So it seems that buying FREIRAUM beforehand was not necessary to get the smartEQ2-Serial from PluginBoutique.
Hm...
Old 3rd October 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Indeed, £43 for f:r and SEQ2 is fantastic. I was prepared to pay the full intro price for SEQ2 alone. Missed the free iZ plugin offer - which was that?
I got that from Plugin boutique, a 100% coupon off of Ozone 8 Elements, it was on an email receipt when purchasing Smart EQ2.
Old 3rd October 2018
Lives for gear

very nice plugin

but there is a serious bug - it DOES NOT AUTOMATE

not at all, no way to autamate the plugin - at least in protools
Old 3rd October 2018
Lives for gear

Anyone in here asked Sonible for iLok codes yet?

It says that you can send an e-mail to them with the codes to get an iLok code.

Or otherwise: How many computers can you authorize?

Thanks in advance
Old 3rd October 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by BM Grabber View Post

Thanks in advance
yep i did 2 days ago. guess they are very busy with the promotion. no word yet

EDIT: I need to correct myself. I was expecting an email response from them, but I just saw in my iLok account that 1 licence was deposited the very next day after my late evening online request.

Last edited by schmeete; 4th October 2018 at 06:18 AM..
Old 3rd October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmeete View Post
yep i did 2 days ago. guess they are very busy with the promotion. no word yet
Thanks... I'll try to be patient
Old 3rd October 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Thanks... I'll try to be patient
has a 30 day demo period so we should be ok
Old 3rd October 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:

Thanks in advance
Yes & I received confirmation that the license was added to iLok the same day (Monday). I had already done so previously for my copy of frau reim.
Old 3rd October 2018
Here for the gear

Anyone use Zynaptiq Unfilter for comparison? I have both Smart EQ+ and 'Unfilter' which often give different results where I tend to use these on buss mixes, and I find myself using one or the other as a starting place. Agree that I think we are missing out on a lot of flexibility of the version 1 multi-band 'magic' control to dial in strength more selectively and the added extra bands help keep all adjustments in one plugin. May have to get the upgrade for the huge discount though and hope for more implementation in updates.

EDIT: The one smart filter design does offer quick adjustment and as I read more about it's flexibility to control bandwidth that is a really nice feature; agree that it's a keeper and multiple 'smart' filters should be as additional if added back into version 2.

Last edited by tigerose01; 6th October 2018 at 02:46 PM.. Reason: further discussion re: smart filters
Old 3rd October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwuw View Post
I took the same road to smartEQ2:
bought FREIRAUM from AudioDeluxe and then the around € 10 update from PluginBoutique.
But the strange thing is that nowhere during the checkout on PluginBoutique I had to confirm (with the serial) that I own FREIRAUM.
So it seems that buying FREIRAUM beforehand was not necessary to get the smartEQ2-Serial from PluginBoutique.
Hm...
yes, same here - wonder if they check back with sonible or something...?
Old 3rd October 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
yes, same here - wonder if they check back with sonible or something...?
Could be something to do with having to have ILOK Manager installed? My machine is online so not sure if it wouldn't work without internet.
Old 3rd October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamm7215 View Post
Pluginboutique sent me an email stating I could upgrade to EQ2 from Freiraum or EQ+ for $9.00 but after that it always seemed to say I needed to have EQ+ for the $9.00 and it was $59 for the Freiraum upgrade so I'm a bit confused. I took a screen cap of the graphic saying specifically all I needed was Freiraum OR EQ+ for the $9.00 upgrade path and sent it to them for clarification.
I also got my code this morning, plugged it in and all good so the upgrade for $9 is good if you are also a Freiraum owner...
Old 3rd October 2018
Lives for gear
I am subscribed to Sonible's general newsletter (confirmed that in my account on their webshop).
I got an email directly from Sonible ([email protected]) that stated "as an owner of frei:raum," I am eligible for the introductory upgrade discount. The email gave me my personal promo code. I clicked on the link in the email, which brought me to the Sonible webshop and allowed me to paste in the code. Bought the upgrade to SmartEQ2 and my SmartEQ2 activation code was mailed to me instantly.
I am glad that I was able to give the money directly to Sonible instead of using a reseller (it is such a low price to begin with).
Old 3rd October 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 6th Beatle View Post
Could be something to do with having to have ILOK Manager installed? My machine is online so not sure if it wouldn't work without internet.
This would be my guess too.
Although I can't find anything concerning sonible when opening my iLok manager, there is probably an iLok manager file deep down in my system stating that I own FREIRAUM.
Old 3rd October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1thedon View Post
Yes & I received confirmation that the license was added to iLok the same day (Monday). I had already done so previously for my copy of frau reim.
Thanks... I got mine added to my iLok account within an hour after mailing them
Old 3rd October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks... I got mine added to my iLok account within an hour after mailing them
How many activations ?

Old 3rd October 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemylon View Post
How many activations ?
1 activation
Old 3rd October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaner View Post
1 activation

One too little !

Old 3rd October 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemylon View Post
How many activations ?

Hey Gemylon,
My iLOk shows as 1 of 1 but Sonible licensing lists as being available to use on 2 computers (subtracting 1 to be placed on iLok).
Details in FAQs Plugins – Support | sonible
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search