The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
sonible releases smart:EQ 2
Old 2nd October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jantex View Post
To be honest, I have successfully used it on a drum bus without any preringing issues. Of course, it didn't have to work alot, but whatever it did, it really helped with balance and clarity with an amazing and superbly efficient manner.
Used it on kick and snare without any obvious issues also. It was magic on the kick. Love the way you can manipulate the adjustment curve so easily.
Old 2nd October 2018
Old 2nd October 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by VarikusBrainz View Post
Upgrade from Frei:raum for 10€ is missing...not sure if we can choose "upgrade from Smart:EQ+" instead?
Someone tried?
Old 2nd October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaner View Post
Upgrade from Frei:raum for 10€ is missing...not sure if we can choose "upgrade from Smart:EQ+" instead?
Someone tried?
I am not owner of Freiraum, but was able to update from smart eq+ for under 10 € at pluginboutique (where I purchased Smart eq+). They want you to email them your puchase order number and the smart eq+ serial, what I did. Now I am waiting for my vers.2 serial.
Old 2nd October 2018
Gear Head

Ok, good news guys...they just answered by phone.
I have informed them to check their mails and forums...looks like they are a bit busy
Old 2nd October 2018
Lives for gear

Glad to hear you're enjoying with drums... will do more testing...
Old 2nd October 2018
Gear Nut

Just downloaded the "Try Now" version .... i tried the eq for about 30 minutes on som guitar tracks ... very open and finished sound ... I'm very impressed.
Now I'm confused - I thought the next plugin I would buy would be the Gullfoss

For mixing what would you prefer: Gullfoss or Smart EQ2?
Old 2nd October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpaMusik View Post
Just downloaded the "Try Now" version .... i tried the eq for about 30 minutes on som guitar tracks ... very open and finished sound ... I'm very impressed.
Now I'm confused - I thought the next plugin I would buy would be the Gullfoss

For mixing what would you prefer: Gullfoss or Smart EQ2?
Mixing: SEQ2

Mixbus/mastering: Gullfoss
Old 2nd October 2018
Lives for gear

so plugin boutique have frei:raum for $49 - do you all reckon I can get that and then a $10 upgrade to smart eq2?
Old 2nd October 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutetourettes View Post
so plugin boutique have frei:raum for $49 - do you all reckon I can get that and then a $10 upgrade to smart eq2?
The way I read it that you can upgrade from frei:raum (or any other sonible plug) and get Smart EQ 2 for £57.62

Upgrade from Smart EQ+ to Smart EQ 2 is £8.80

So frei raum and Smart EQ2 is £101 and change. £50.50 odd for the two is still a great deal. I think I may have to try Frei Raum out
Old 2nd October 2018
Deleted b738100
Quote:
Originally Posted by The 6th Beatle View Post
The way I read it that you can upgrade from frei:raum (or any other sonible plug) and get Smart EQ 2 for £57.62

Upgrade from Smart EQ+ to Smart EQ 2 is £8.80

So frei raum and Smart EQ2 is £101 and change. £50.50 odd for the two is still a great deal. I think I may have to try Frei Raum out
frei:raum is amazing but such a ridiculous pricedrop might seriously upset the people who bought it for 275€...
Old 2nd October 2018
Lives for gear

but on the plugin boutique freiraum page it says "Upgrade to the brand new smart:EQ 2 from frei-raum for only €9.90 / $9.90 here." which takes you to the eq2 page, where it says " This is a time-limited upgrade for owners of any smart:EQ+. (Ends 31st Oct)"

so I'm guessing ANY smart EQ+ might include freiraum???

if so it seems a good deal to get freiraum and smarteq2+ for $60

very tempting - well, freiraum on its own for 50 is tempting...

oh, and i suppose you get ozone 8 elements for free with that too....
Old 2nd October 2018
Lives for gear

Just bought frei:raum on JRRshop for £33. Madness.

If that £8 upgrade to S:EQ2 works (since frei contains a smart:EQ) that's one hell of a bargain.
Old 2nd October 2018
Lives for gear

Hmm.. I don't know guys. The individual drum profiles for instance "are never happy" and always seem to apply a sameish curve, no matter how finished sounding the sound is. Just try it for giggles and insert 5 instances of S:EQ2 in series and have them all analyze their own previous results. It's rather hilarious.

Also try inserting a kick/snare, immaculately mixed.. for instance from a "set and forget" sample library.. then watch S:EQ2 completely botch it.

I suspect it isn't really all that magic under the hood or then the analysis is broken/bugged as it is right now. It seems to apply a pretty standard curve. "Yeah, user said kick so lets apply this bog standard curve and have the lines do a little dance so they think we are actually analysing something".

So far my conclusion is: This is humbug/broken. If you got a finished EQd sound out of something (any source) with a couple of S:EQ2 instances then suspect it was a fluke and the basic 101-textbook curves worked for the source. Well, the 101 textbook curves are usually good starting points already so why not? But still. Due to this it works on the very basic sound sources (raw miked tracks) in the way that it kind of "nudges" them towards better solutions but it doesn't take it any further than that, so why bother? Most of us already know the basics. Yeah you remove some mud from low-mids/mids on kick, boost the fundamental and 2-5k. Whooopieee! Genius! .. except if you have a very delicate Kumo jazz kick drum that needs to be boxy and "wooden". Then watch S:EQ2 try to make it a Slate kick and face palm yourself.

At least these are my first impressions.

Ironically (and perhaps not surprisingly) S:EQ2 works a lot better on complex audio material that isn't sparse in it's nature.. like a bus group or full mix. Here it's a bit hit and miss but on dense mixes it provided sensible suggestions. Just as the original plugin did.

So yeah, will I upgrade my previous Sonible for 10 euros? Yes probably. Will I use it much, especially in a mixing context? No, most likely not at all in it's current state. Maybe throw it on a bus group every once in a while if I feel bored, lost or suffering from ear fatigue.
Old 2nd October 2018
Gear Nut

FYI:

Had freiraum, update to smart eq2 was 9,90 via sonible.
Old 2nd October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanic View Post
Hmm.. I don't know guys. The individual drum profiles for instance "are never happy" and always seem to apply a sameish curve, no matter how finished sounding the sound is. Just try it for giggles and insert 5 instances of S:EQ2 in series and have them all analyze their own previous results. It's rather hilarious.

Also try inserting a kick/snare, immaculately mixed.. for instance from a "set and forget" sample library.. then watch S:EQ2 completely botch it.

I suspect it isn't really all that magic under the hood or then the analysis is broken/bugged as it is right now. It seems to apply a pretty standard curve. "Yeah, user said kick so lets apply this bog standard curve and have the lines do a little dance so they think we are actually analysing something".

So far my conclusion is: This is humbug/broken. If you got a finished EQd sound out of something (any source) with a couple of S:EQ2 instances then suspect it was a fluke and the basic 101-textbook curves worked for the source. Well, the 101 textbook curves are usually good starting points already so why not? But still.

It works on the vary basic sound sources (raw miked tracks) in the way that it kind of "nudges" them towards better solutions but that's it.

At least these are my first impressions.

Ironically (and perhaps not surprisingly) S:EQ2 works a lot better on complex audio material that isn't sparse in it's nature.. like a bus group or full mix. Here it's a bit hit and miss but on dense mixes it provided sensible suggestions. Just as the original plugin did.

So yeah, will I upgrade my previous Sonible for 10 euros? Yes probably. Will I use it much, especially in a mixing context? No, most likely not at all in it's current state. Maybe throw it on a bus group every once in a while if I feel bored, lost or suffering from ear fatigue.
I actually don’t find ot broken and would never apply it on something that doesn’t need treatment. But on sources that do, it proved in the use within two mixes that it is pretty spectacular. Both of the mixes were done in much shorter time with much less effort and clients were extremely satisfied. I would need serious time investment to come to the result they brought ne in seconds. And mind you, it is a stoner rock record with 10 minute songs, with nasty fuzzed guitars.

Whether you’ll use it is completely up to you, but it is one the most efficient eq I have ever used.
Old 2nd October 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
but on the plugin boutique freiraum page it says "Upgrade to the brand new smart:EQ 2 from frei-raum for only €9.90 / $9.90 here." which takes you to the eq2 page, where it says " This is a time-limited upgrade for owners of any smart:EQ+. (Ends 31st Oct)"

Yeah I just seen what you're talking about..seems an unreal markdown..too good to be true almost..try it out and let us know if you succeeded!
Old 2nd October 2018
Gear Nut

Tried on a female vocal .... the result was disappointing .... but on some rock guitars the result was awesome
Old 2nd October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Just bought frei:raum on JRRshop for £33. Madness.

If that £8 upgrade to S:EQ2 works (since frei contains a smart:EQ) that's one hell of a bargain.
you got a further reduction on the $49?
Old 2nd October 2018
how does this match up to Sound-Theory Gullfoss?

Soundtheory - Reveal your sound

looking to buy one of them.
Old 2nd October 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
you got a further reduction on the $49?

Get it cheaper at JRR and Audiodeluxe
Old 2nd October 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
You can buy Smart:EQ+ on Reverb.com (you can also haggle a little on the price there!) and then update to Smart:EQ2 through pluginboutique. Really good price.

This plugin was pretty much an instant buy for me when I demoed it last night. Very pleasing results on all of the instruments I tried it on.

I'd like to see more presets for different instruments, voice types etc. though.
Old 2nd October 2018
Gear Nut

I think the sale is only good up until Oct 7th. frei:raum + smart:EQ 2 upgrade for under 60 bux is no-brainer territory...
Old 2nd October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by VarikusBrainz View Post
Get it cheaper at JRR and Audiodeluxe
hmm, i see it at $49 at all three places, am I doing something wrong?
Old 2nd October 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
I think you might be confusing £33 with $33? I think you can get it for $44 dollars on JRR. I followed bOse's lead and got it for £35.
Old 2nd October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Add it to cart
Old 2nd October 2018
Lives for gear

ah, yes, I see $43.99 = £35.03 just now. Cheers all! now for the upgrade!
Old 2nd October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

Can anyone confirm getting the upgrade from Frei:raum to Smart EQ 2 for $10??
Old 2nd October 2018
Gear Addict

I took the plunge, it does state that you can upgrade from frei:raum but it's a little confusing.

I paid for the upgrade price and received an email from plugin boutique to retrieve my licence. Logged in and got 'this serial is currently out of stock you will receive it within 24 hours of the next working day'
Old 2nd October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 6th Beatle View Post
I took the plunge, it does state that you can upgrade from frei:raum but it's a little confusing.

I paid for the upgrade price and received an email from plugin boutique to retrieve my licence. Logged in and got 'this serial is currently out of stock you will receive it within 24 hours of the next working day'
I have the same :¬)
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search