Eventide Announces New SP2016 Reverb Plug-In - Page 11 - Gearslutz
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Eventide Announces New SP2016 Reverb Plug-In
Old 28th November 2018 | Show parent
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by abluesky View Post
I got TPR after a brief demo.

Well, I’m probably the only one who doesn’t find that it blends with the source as much as the hype leads one to believe. I also hear a resonance that I always EQ away (for my tastes).
Have you tried sticking a modulation plugin in front of TPR? I know what you mean regarding the metallicness, sometimes it’s too much, it would be nice if there was an onboard modulation function in TPR (like in Little Plate) to minimize/control it.

I like TAL-Chorus-LX (old, but very good, and free) with the mix knob almost at zero, or the wow turned up in Softube Tape for a more subtle modulation. Both do a decent job of controlling resonance in TPR.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by abluesky View Post

Well, I’m probably the only one who doesn’t find that it blends with the source as much as the hype leads one to believe. [...]To me, it blends the almost perfectly and becomes a natural extension of the source.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhysmix View Post
Have you tried sticking a modulation plugin in front of TPR? I know what you mean regarding the metallicness, sometimes it’s too much, it would be nice if there was an onboard modulation function in TPR (like in Little Plate) to minimize/control it.

I like TAL-Chorus-LX (old, but very good, and free) with the mix knob almost at zero, or the wow turned up in Softube Tape for a more subtle modulation. Both do a decent job of controlling resonance in TPR.
No I hadn’t thought of that! Will try using both. Thank you!
Old 30th November 2018
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Gotta say the more I use this, the more I like it. The layout just makes it easy getting that sound I'm after with little effort.
Old 30th November 2018
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Did anyone else love that manual? Typeface layout, language. Man put on A Flock of Seagulls!........Great stuff!!!!
Old 30th November 2018
Lives for gear

Wondering if Eventide will release other SP2016 algorithms.

A Glimpse of the Future from the Past | Eventide Blog
Old 30th November 2018
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
OK so I'm experiencing an epiphany with this and the Transatlantic Plate. I was and still am, totally happy with VVV and ST Plate. These two however really wrap themselves around the sound, and are on another level. SP2016 really was an eye opener and is so effortless.... then I made the mistake of trying TAP wanting to see what all the fuss was about..... (the developer is also a fantastic engineer I've had the good fortune to work with)....

The result: No money left for Christmas, and maybe these will help creating room ambience, in the cardboard box that may soon become my home.........F**ing Gearslutz......
Old 1st December 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardis View Post
OK so I'm experiencing an epiphany with this and the Transatlantic Plate. I was and still am, totally happy with VVV and ST Plate. These two however really wrap themselves around the sound, and are on another level. SP2016 really was an eye opener and is so effortless.... then I made the mistake of trying TAP wanting to see what all the fuss was about..... (the developer is also a fantastic engineer I've had the good fortune to work with)....

The result: No money left for Christmas, and maybe these will help creating room ambience, in the cardboard box that may soon become my home.........F**ing Gearslutz......
It's funny - I actually thought the TAP was just overall too noticeable and hard to blend IMHO. It's the opposite from the SP 2016 which is so easy to mold into the source.
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy2039 View Post
It's funny - I actually thought the TAP was just overall too noticeable and hard to blend IMHO. It's the opposite from the SP 2016 which is so easy to mold into the source.
I’ve just scratched the surface with it. Liking the European plate and using the mix knob to make it blend. You’re right about the 2016, I have to actually either push it or take it off to hear what it’s doing. I kinda go by the rule if you can hear it it’s an effect.

The TP does have a transparency and a delicacy that makes it blend very seamlessly with the ganged hi and lo cut knobs (great feature!). I can’t figure out what voodoo is in the 2016, except the front/back slider is magic.....!

Anyway, rambling a bit since I’m used to reverb feeling a bit like an overlay. When swapping both these in some mixes there feels like much more of a focus to the sound...astonishing!
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy2039 View Post
Same here. Some good advice either in this thread or the TAP thread is to apply some modulation before TAP to reduce the metallicness.

And agreed about SP2016. The ease of blend is the best I’ve experienced.
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Bought it a few weeks ago and I am impress, this is something else!! I am using it on every mix and very happy with it, thank you Eventide!
Old 1st December 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The $29 upgrade is a no brainer, especially if you got the 2016 Stereo Room for free
Instant buy for me!
Old 13th December 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Last night I did a recording with a high school jazz band for a contest entry, and we had to mix the tracks immediately after they were recorded to get the entry in on time. My client, the band director, tends to be leery of effects of any kind. I put SP2016 on an aux track with the "Room Bloom" preset and cautiously added some to the close mics. After a few minutes, the client asked if he was hearing reverb. I sighed to myself and said, a little. He asked, can you put a little more on? I brought the fader up from about -12 to -9, and he said, "Boy, that sounds great." Which it did.

This plug keeps making me happy.
Old 7th September 2019
TJ5
Gear Nut
For people like me who do not have the 2016 Stereo Room, Audio Deluxe has this on sale for $44.10 ($49 minus $4.90 additional discount): https://www.audiodeluxe.com/products...-sp2016-reverb
Old 7th September 2019
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
May i also point ouit the sublim Blackhole ....a must have imho ...
Old 7th September 2019
TJ5
Gear Nut
Yes, also Instant Phaser MkII is $26.99 ($29 - $2.01) and Tverb is $44.10 ($49 - $4.90). Sale is on for next 2 days and 13 hours from the time of my post.
Old 7th September 2019 | Show parent
Lud
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ5 View Post
For people like me who do not have the 2016 Stereo Room, Audio Deluxe has this on sale for $44.10 ($49 minus $4.90 additional discount): https://www.audiodeluxe.com/products...-sp2016-reverb
Tanks for the tip.
Old 20th February 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Really close pulling the trigger on this during sale. LOVE the sound!
But I'm thinking back and forth if I should be covered with my Nimbus/R4 and Arturia Plate. I've been wanting to get a more "character" esque reverb and I thinking this could be the one to get!

Do you guys think that SP2016 fills a gap in my arsenal? Or am I just running on GAS
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RitchieBorg View Post
Really close pulling the trigger on this during sale. LOVE the sound!
But I'm thinking back and forth if I should be covered with my Nimbus/R4 and Arturia Plate. I've been wanting to get a more "character" esque reverb and I thinking this could be the one to get!

Do you guys think that SP2016 fills a gap in my arsenal? Or am I just running on GAS
I think it will work for you because it's something you can't find in Nimbus or R4. I know both Exponential Audio reverbs pretty well (been using them since they were released. In fact, I used their predecessors PhoenixVerb and R2 quite a lot as well), and SP2016 complements them just fine.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
I think it will work for you because it's something you can't find in Nimbus or R4. I know both Exponential Audio reverbs pretty well (been using them since they were released. In fact, I used their predecessors PhoenixVerb and R2 quite a lot as well), and SP2016 complements them just fine.
Agree on all points. I have most of the usual suspects, and 2016 fills a certain “space,” so to speak. The Distance slider alone is worth it. Fairly intuitive to move something forward or back in a vintage-y kind of way.

It’s not particularly modern-sounding... but what is that really, anyway? It’s a cool sound. Eventide has made great, useful effects for decades now.
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by robshrock View Post
Agree on all points. I have most of the usual suspects, and 2016 fills a certain “space,” so to speak. The Distance slider alone is worth it. Fairly intuitive to move something forward or back in a vintage-y kind of way.

It’s not particularly modern-sounding... but what is that really, anyway? It’s a cool sound. Eventide has made great, useful effects for decades now.
The thing that I love about gear from that era is a ton of thought went into it and the tech was new. So they really focused in on making it sound great in very novel ways with very primitive tech (by today's standards). It blends with the sound and isn't an overlay....

They weren't hung up with any predisposed ideas. I do think the GUI is the best (and takes me back to orange and brown Naugahyde rooms smelling like cigarettes/reefer, shag rugs (sometimes on the engineers head!) and stale coffee)....
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by robshrock View Post

Yes! I love plugins that have unique and useful UI elements, and the Distance slider for me is one of those things. Maybe other reverbs offer a similar capability, but not in such a prominent and intuitive way.

I think in general the 2016 interface is a model for balancing tweakability with simplicity (and also for proving that "skeuomorphic" and "usable" are not opposites).

And I agree that the 2016 fills a niche of its own sonically. It's not as naturalistic as Altiverb, nor as "lush" as Seventh Heaven or VVV, nor as aggressively retro as something like PSP 2445. It's its own thing, and nothing else I've encountered is quite like it. And while it's not always the right answer, when it's right, it's perfect.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Thank you for all you inputs! It really is one of those addictive sounds I can't get enough of!

Really happy I bought Nimbus/R4 still, because when SP2016 won't work those two and Arturia Plate can do pretty much anything else I need - but this could very well become my favourite verb and I will probably have to hold myself back from throwing it on everything!
Old 29th February 2020
Gear Nut

Read through all the hype and I bought it for all of $79. Didn't need it, but it does what it do very well. It integrates with the source in an interesting way. There is no end all be all effect, but the more tools you have in your box the easier it will be to make a dismal recording sound easier on the ears
Old 29th February 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by analag View Post
There is no end all be all effect, but the more tools you have in your box the easier it will be to make a dismal recording sound easier on the ears
Truth. I now have at least ten reverb plugins. I turn to all of them at least occasionally, with four or five in heavy rotation. Each of them has something, either sonically or in the way the UI helps me work, that none of the others can give me.

Am I satisfied? Hell no. I am currently casting a hungry eye on the IK Sunset collection. There's probably a 12-step program for this.
Old 8th May 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Finally picked this up. Really about a stealthy reverb. I have to solo my six to make sure the reverb even still working. Fantastic reverb. Between this, sunset, vss3, verberate, and comet I'm all set for clear beautiful reverb without the grainy my metallic ringing.
📝 Reply