The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Antelope Audio unveil all-new Edge Family of modeling microphones Audio Interfaces
Old 20th October 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cucaio75 View Post
Ouch! It's insane..
Also I do not understand why slate does not release its products for free...
I hope this is a joke. Nobody can pay the bills by offering "free". Do you want to work for free?
Old 20th October 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapmak3r View Post
Where is the marketing material, reviews, video/audio examples of the various mics on various instruments, male/female vocalists etc?

Can't find a single video on Youtube demonstrating the Edge Solo, for example. Very little out there for any of the mics. Very strange that you have basically no marketing material for these mics or reviews from popular Youtube channels (that have previously reviewed Antelope interfaces etc.)

Most people are going to want to hear these mics in action on vocals, acoustic guitars etc. before committing to purchasing them.
They were just announced. Give them time. Holy cow.
Old 20th October 2018
Gear Addict

Just making sure, so now with the native plug-in formats of the mic emus, I could just get the mic and use it with non Antelope audio interfaces right? Only limitation being that I can't record/print with mic emus. Right?
Old 20th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhandy View Post
I hope this is a joke. Nobody can pay the bills by offering "free". Do you want to work for free?
It was clearly sarcastic.
Old 20th October 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhandy View Post
They were just announced. Give them time. Holy cow.
It makes good sense to have solid marketing material ready, reviews from reputable sources lined up etc. when you release a new product. These are on sale now, not 'just announced'.
Old 24th October 2018
Gear Addict

Edge Mic ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xqtion View Post
Just making sure, so now with the native plug-in formats of the mic emus, I could just get the mic and use it with non Antelope audio interfaces right? Only limitation being that I can't record/print with mic emus. Right?
Can anyone from Antelope answer this?

Thanks!!
Old 24th October 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Can anyone from Antelope answer this?

Thanks!!

Hello xqtion,

Yes, you can use the microphones with non Antelope audio interfaces as well. On your second question, you can record and print with mic emulations. Please have in mind that for usage of emulations you would need an iLok license.
Old 24th October 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapmak3r View Post
It makes good sense to have solid marketing material ready, reviews from reputable sources lined up etc. when you release a new product. These are on sale now, not 'just announced'.
Hello soapmak3r,

Thank you for your hype and interest in the Edge Family! We will start distributing those shortly. Stay tuned!
Old 24th October 2018
Gear Addict

Edge solo & Discrete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antelope Audio View Post
Hello xqtion,

Yes, you can use the microphones with non Antelope audio interfaces as well. On your second question, you can record and print with mic emulations. Please have in mind that for usage of emulations you would need an iLok license.
Thank you that is great!

Also I hope you guys start selling the Edge Solo and the Discrete bundles soon too.

Last edited by xqtion; 25th October 2018 at 07:21 AM..
Old 31st October 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Thank you that is great!

Also I hope you guys start selling the Edge Solo and the Discrete bundles soon too.
Congratulations on the release of the Edge mic family!!!

Now that they are out, any news on the Discrete 4 and the Edge Solo Bundle?
Old 12th November 2018
Here for the gear
so i just got the goliath hd... all i have to do is buy an edge mic, plug it in and i have access to all these emulations?
Old 12th November 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedByMrHD View Post
so i just got the goliath hd... all i have to do is buy an edge mic, plug it in and i have access to all these emulations?
Yes, you can also check our Edge Family section.
Old 6th December 2018
Gear Addict

Angry VST doesn’t work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antelope Audio View Post
Hello xqtion,

I just bought the Edge Solo and...

Argh fyi Antelope, VST nor the VST3 don’t work on Studio One 4.1.1 Windows 10 pro.

The Edge emulation VST plug-in instantiates but does not let you do anything. Also VST3 version doesn’t even show up even though it’s installed.

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by xqtion; 7th December 2018 at 03:10 AM..
Old 6th December 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I just bought the Edge Solo and...

Argh fyi Antelope, VST nor the VST3 don’t work on Studio One 4.1.1 Windows.

The Edge emulation VST plug-in instantiates but does not let you do anything. Also VST3 version doesn’t even show up even though it’s installed.

Any help would be appreciated.
Do you have iLok?
Old 7th December 2018
Gear Addict

Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by papaki23 View Post
Do you have iLok?
Yes of course. I activated the license on my ilok manager.

Antelope any help would be much appreciated.
Old 7th December 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Yes of course. I activated the license on my ilok manager.

Antelope any help would be much appreciated.
Hello xqtion,

Please contact out support and we will be happy to assist you.

Best Regards,
Alex
Old 15th December 2018
Lives for gear

Vintage King just posted a really nice blog post and demo video about these mics yesterday:

First Listen: Antelope Audio Edge Modeling Microphones - Vintage King Blog

Old 6th January 2019
Here for the gear
Mic Modeling with the older version of Orion Studio?

Hey Antelope and Antelope users,

I'm new to Gearslutz, and I've looked around, but I couldn't find an answer to this question, so this will be my first ever question post.

I guess I missed the train on the newer version of Orion Studio (2017), as I purchased my Orion Studio interface right before the 2017 version came out..

I've been looking into mic modeling (Slate VRS, Antelope, Townsend), and since I already have a very nice Antelope interface, I assume the best way to get the bang for my buck is to go with some Edge and Verge microphones... however, there's not a whole lot of clear information yet that I've found to let me know if it would work for me. The only thing I know for sure so far is that an Antelope interface is required. Check that box for me... but it seems that Antelope might have discontinued the support for the previous Orion Studio because it isn't compatible with their new mic modeling platform.

Am I right about this? Would I have to sell my Orion Studio to use Edge and Verge mics properly? If so, I don't know that I'd stick with Antelope, as there are a lot of options out there that seem a bit more user friendly to me (as far as routing and compatibility are concerned). But if I can use the my current Orion interface to try this new mic modeling thing, I think I'd be ready to pull the trigger on a couple of Duos and a handful of the new Verge mics.

Does anyone have some insight into this issue?

Thanks!!
Old 11th January 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessecole View Post
Hey Antelope and Antelope users,

I'm new to Gearslutz, and I've looked around, but I couldn't find an answer to this question, so this will be my first ever question post.

I guess I missed the train on the newer version of Orion Studio (2017), as I purchased my Orion Studio interface right before the 2017 version came out..

I've been looking into mic modeling (Slate VRS, Antelope, Townsend), and since I already have a very nice Antelope interface, I assume the best way to get the bang for my buck is to go with some Edge and Verge microphones... however, there's not a whole lot of clear information yet that I've found to let me know if it would work for me. The only thing I know for sure so far is that an Antelope interface is required. Check that box for me... but it seems that Antelope might have discontinued the support for the previous Orion Studio because it isn't compatible with their new mic modeling platform.

Am I right about this? Would I have to sell my Orion Studio to use Edge and Verge mics properly? If so, I don't know that I'd stick with Antelope, as there are a lot of options out there that seem a bit more user friendly to me (as far as routing and compatibility are concerned). But if I can use the my current Orion interface to try this new mic modeling thing, I think I'd be ready to pull the trigger on a couple of Duos and a handful of the new Verge mics.

Does anyone have some insight into this issue?

Thanks!!
Hello jessecole,

Thanks for choosing our products! Apologies for taking us a while to reply.

The answer to your question is pretty straightforward. Yes, you can use all the features of our microphones, including the modeling technology, with the Orion Studio. Go wild!

Cheers!
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

no help at all from Antelope outraged they have to replace 2 boards when one is bad because they no longer manufacture this ..if this is not resolved i will never purchase or recommend Antelope to anyone ...I have been a Sweetwater Sound customer for 25 yrs now things are making sense ..this is not like me to post bad press ..but i'm losing business & cannot afford this ridiculous repair price ..for that money i will just move to Apogee
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearguitar View Post
no help at all from Antelope outraged they have to replace 2 boards when one is bad because they no longer manufacture this ..if this is not resolved i will never purchase or recommend Antelope to anyone ...I have been a Sweetwater Sound customer for 25 yrs now things are making sense ..this is not like me to post bad press ..but i'm losing business & cannot afford this ridiculous repair price ..for that money i will just move to Apogee
This post has no context, so we have no idea what you are talking about. Do you mind giving us a more complete picture of your unhappiness. This thread is about the Antelope Edge Microphones, is that what you are having a problem with?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearguitar View Post
Dear bearguitar,

We did an internal check on your case. Our colleagues have probably informed you that the new boards will have even higher dynamic range, haven't they? Actually, your machine will be running like a brand new Orion 2017 device.
We hope you'll enjoy it as much as we do!

Please do not hesitate to contact us should you need anything else.

Kind regards.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

i was hoping they could help me out.. this is so much money i'm squeaking bye & i need it ...no compromise at all sad
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

no reply like you had mentioned & need a compromise thinking of jumping ship 1 board is gone ...please resolve this very angry with Antelope & if something isn't done i will never buy or can recommend their products just stinks
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

I purchased the Discrete 8+Edge+Verge Bundle. The Verge microphones can not handle the SPL when put in front of a Kick,Snare,Tom etc.. I contacted antelope and after waiting 3 days to get a reply they informed me they had a program to replace the verge Mic's with ones that could handle more Buuuuttt..... then told me the program ended almost year ago and they were unable to replace mine. I found a guy that had his replace 5months ago so the year time frame they told me is a lie. Its ridiculous and says a lot about the company. If your thinking about getting these be careful they may show it recording something its not capable of doing.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancemhorsley View Post
I purchased the Discrete 8+Edge+Verge Bundle. The Verge microphones can not handle the SPL when put in front of a Kick,Snare,Tom etc.. I contacted antelope and after waiting 3 days to get a reply they informed me they had a program to replace the verge Mic's with ones that could handle more Buuuuttt..... then told me the program ended almost year ago and they were unable to replace mine. I found a guy that had his replace 5months ago so the year time frame they told me is a lie. Its ridiculous and says a lot about the company. If your thinking about getting these be careful they may show it recording something its not capable of doing.
Well this isn't good! When did you buy yours? I have a verge mic that I have used for acoustic guitar, but not anything with the levels of a drum kit or electric guitar cabinet. How would I know if mine was an affected mic?
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfly66 View Post
Quote:
Well this isn't good! When did you buy yours? I have a verge mic that I have used for acoustic guitar, but not anything with the levels of a drum kit or electric guitar cabinet. How would I know if mine was an affected mic?
I purchased them on 2-16-2018. I am not sure how to tell because they look exactly the same, and are both called the verge. One of techs I spoke with was unaware of this issue. So calling may or may not help depending who you speak with. You could always stick a mic on a drum turn the gain as low as you can. On a discrete 8 that is -12 and you will still hear it clip. I’m not sure how long ago you made your purchase but if you are able to return it I would and and buy Slates ML2.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
I purchased them on 2-16-2018. I am not sure how to tell because they look exactly the same, and are both called the verge. One of techs I spoke with was unaware of this issue. So calling may or may not help depending who you speak with. You could always stick a mic on a drum turn the gain as low as you can. On a discrete 8 that is -12 and you will still hear it clip. I’m not sure how long ago you made your purchase but if you are able to return it I would and and buy Slates ML2.
I did call Antelope and the gentleman knew about the exchange program, but did also mention that he didn't think they were doing the exchanges anymore. He has to write an email for some other staff to look at it tomorrow. I bought one in March 2018 and a second one in June 2018 which was a free add on with the purchase of the Edge. I let him know that I wasn't informed of this exchange so how would I have known to exchange within a certain time? His response was that there is nothing wrong with the Verge mics only that the newer batch can handle a higher SPL. So really they have no obligation to exchange them.

The current specs say the SPL is 146db. On Oct 5, 2017 up to at least Jan 23, 2018 the SPL was 132db according to the Wayback Machine at archive.org - Verge | Antelope Audio

From a quick search on Youtube is looks like there were no drum demos with the Verge mics until 9 months ago (May 2018).

Not certain when the change in SPL happened, but it makes since that it was precipitated by feedback from users who were using them in high SPL situations where they failed to meet expectations. The Verge mic was advertised as what "Antelope Audio recommends for loud (high SPL) recording" which I think everyone can agree is a drum kit or electric guitar cabinet. The fact that the maximum SPL of the Verge is close to or lower than most experiences with a drum kit is disappointing, but Antelope did advertise the SPL as 132db so it isn't like they were hiding anything. I intended to use mine for acoustic guitar so wasn't worried about SPL, but now that I'm learning to play drums on an acoustic set I am interested in recording myself with these mics. I'll be disappointed if I have the old ones and can't exchange them. BTW here is a cool video on micing drums with 1,2,3,4 or 5 mics.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfly66 View Post
I did call Antelope and the gentleman knew about the exchange program, but did also mention that he didn't think they were doing the exchanges anymore. He has to write an email for some other staff to look at it tomorrow. I bought one in March 2018 and a second one in June 2018 which was a free add on with the purchase of the Edge. I let him know that I wasn't informed of this exchange so how would I have known to exchange within a certain time? His response was that there is nothing wrong with the Verge mics only that the newer batch can handle a higher SPL. So really they have no obligation to exchange them.

The current specs say the SPL is 146db. On Oct 5, 2017 up to at least Jan 23, 2018 the SPL was 132db according to the Wayback Machine at archive.org - Verge | Antelope Audio

From a quick search on Youtube is looks like there were no drum demos with the Verge mics until 9 months ago (May 2018).

Not certain when the change in SPL happened, but it makes since that it was precipitated by feedback from users who were using them in high SPL situations where they failed to meet expectations. The Verge mic was advertised as what "Antelope Audio recommends for loud (high SPL) recording" which I think everyone can agree is a drum kit or electric guitar cabinet. The fact that the maximum SPL of the Verge is close to or lower than most experiences with a drum kit is disappointing, but Antelope did advertise the SPL as 132db so it isn't like they were hiding anything. I intended to use mine for acoustic guitar so wasn't worried about SPL, but now that I'm learning to play drums on an acoustic set I am interested in recording myself with these mics. I'll be disappointed if I have the old ones and can't exchange them. BTW here is a cool video on micing drums with 1,2,3,4 or 5 mics.

Hopefully you have better Luck with antelope than me. Yeah I have looked on wayback as well. I would like to know the exact date of the change on the specs... I was told the program ended about a Year ago which wouldn't make since if that is the mic they were still selling. Aside from that They do state in multiple places it is a high spl mic. And one of the emulations says it it can handle extreme pressure levels and will suit rock'n'roll life... ha but it can't record drums. Thanks for sharing the youtube video!
Attached Thumbnails
Antelope Audio unveil all-new Edge Family of modeling microphones-screen-shot-2019-02-11-3.59.32-pm.png   Antelope Audio unveil all-new Edge Family of modeling microphones-screen-shot-2019-02-11-4.47.59-pm.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Hopefully you have better Luck with antelope than me. Yeah I have looked on wayback as well. I would like to know the exact date of the change on the specs... I was told the program ended about a Year ago which wouldn't make since if that is the mic they were still selling. Aside from that They do state in multiple places it is a high spl mic. And one of the emulations says it it can handle extreme pressure levels and will suit rock'n'roll life... ha but it can't record drums. Thanks for sharing the youtube video!
Yes, knowing when the advertising changed would be good, especially if it changed prior to your purchase.

EDIT: The change was in May 2018, according to this May 14, 2018 Antelope press release. New Verge Mic and Native AFX Plug-ins | Antelope Audio

If that is the case how could the exchange have ended a year ago? Maybe the support guy helping you was incorrect in the timing of the end of the exchange program. Since I bought my second Verge in June it should be the one with the higher SPL and if it isn't I'd have a hard time swallowing them not replacing it.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search