The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
NoHype Audio's new ribbon mic is out now
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
I have an LRM-2. How does it compare with it?

The LRM-2 was the first mic I didn't have to fix with tiny bands of EQ.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

no, it's a different mic. The LRM-2b can be used in stereo with the coupler and any decent stereo bar. But it's cumbersome and heavy - so the challenge was to create a smaller, lighter stereo ribbon that doesn't do what the LRM-2b does with a response that works mainly for drums OH, the main application for which a stereo mic has been requested. The motors are new and proprietary and yield good S/N ratio with predictable symmetrical Fig-8 response and a linear response up to the HF, making it ideal for a stereo mic sitting right on top of cymbals. It can of course be used as FOK, room, main stereo pair if you're looking for a smooth yet present tone. Presence is obtained by careful design of the motor, there's no EQ in the mic. The transfo is custom wound to give full LF response since everyone today has access to any type of filter or EQ to compensate for proximity effect (or room mud). So it's quite different from the LRM-2b which is quite "Hi-Fi" and also different from the round and mellow LRM-V.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Thanks, I tried to voice the LRM-2(b) as an all rounder that can be used with minimum EQ and filtering (there's still plenty of prox. effect of course). See my previous post for a quick overview.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgerard View Post
no, it's a different mic. The LRM-2b can be used in stereo with the coupler and any decent stereo bar. But it's cumbersome and heavy - so the challenge was to create a smaller, lighter stereo ribbon that doesn't do what the LRM-2b does with a response that works mainly for drums OH, the main application for which a stereo mic has been requested. The motors are new and proprietary and yield good S/N ratio with predictable symmetrical Fig-8 response and a linear response up to the HF, making it ideal for a stereo mic sitting right on top of cymbals. It can of course be used as FOK, room, main stereo pair if you're looking for a smooth yet present tone. Presence is obtained by careful design of the motor, there's no EQ in the mic. The transfo is custom wound to give full LF response since everyone today has access to any type of filter or EQ to compensate for proximity effect (or room mud). So it's quite different from the LRM-2b which is quite "Hi-Fi" and also different from the round and mellow LRM-V.
Really curious about the SRM-1. I'm looking for ribbons as drum OH, so I think I'll wait for this one!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

If you're looking for a single point / coincident stereo ribbon, it's not a bad choice. If you also need or prefer spaced mics though, a pair of LRM-2b is a wiser move.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear
I'm really tempted to get a couple of these, mainly for drum overheads but also for piano work. My only concern is whether they would sound a bit too dark or wooly going through a 1073 preamp? I typically go for a Nigel Godrich style drum sound, very intimate and full with the highs rolled off. He often uses Coles 4038 for this, but going by the charts they go up a bit higher than the LRM-V. (I know that comparing frequency response diagrams is not how it should be done but it's all I have to go with at the moment and is why I'm asking here!) Would an LRM-2b be better, or are they a bit too pristine and hi-fi without the softened character of the LRM-V's?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Using an LRM-2b:

Too wooly = A gentle LF RollOff will fix it.
Too dark = LF RollOff will also generally fix it.

The LRM-2b takes EQ well, the LRM-V has more character going on, so a bit harder to EQ, perhaps. The LRM-V is not designed to have "air" to spare.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Thanks JP, that’s really helpful, I’ll probably get a couple of the LRM-2b’s in this case. I’m sure either will be a huge improvement on the mk012’s I’m using at the moment which make the cymbals sound a bit too brittle and harsh for my taste!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Keep in mind they're Fig-8 so they won't be as forgiving as Cardioids would if your room has a flutter echo issue / untreated hard surfaces. But the on axis and 180° pickup will be quite a bit smoother indeed. You'll still get enough HF to EQ to taste.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear
That makes sense. I have a treated room which includes a hung absorption panel over the kit, so there aren’t any flutter or echo issues I’m noticing at the moment. If I start having problems I can always improve this of course, but for now I think the overheads are letting me down. They aren’t a bad sound just not to my taste, a bit too hyped and brittle for me.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Sounds like ribbons might be a solution indeed then...
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Fingers crossed! Thanks again, you’ll be getting an order from me soon!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Pleasure!
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPoet View Post
So yes, a €160 beat out a €4000 mic yesterday.

While my Flea 49 is smooth and big and bold, this track *really* required the LRM-V on a particular song and female vocal.
Add a little tube pre (SoundSkulptor MP5.66), cut some mud and add a little presence with a AML Pultec, control the wildest dynamics with an AML 2254 and this vocal sits REALLY well in a mix.

Whatever you're cooking up next JP, I'm getting it, big fan of your work!

Herwig
Thanks for sharing this gem! Goosebump...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search