The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Universal Audio Announces New Apollo X Thunderbolt 3 Interfaces for Mac and Windows
Old 6th September 2018
  #1
News Desk Editor
 
The Press Desk's Avatar
 

Universal Audio Announces New Apollo X Thunderbolt 3 Interfaces for Mac and Windows

Universal Audio Announces New Apollo X Thunderbolt 3 Interfaces for Mac and Windows-apollo_x_family_stacked_3qtr_transparent.jpg

Universal Audio Announces New Apollo X Thunderbolt 3 Audio Interfaces for Mac and Windows

Apollo X allows music producers, project, and post-production studios to track and mix with world-beating A/D and D/A conversion, HEXA Core DSP processing, and 
7.1 Surround Sound monitoring

Universal Audio is proud to introduce the Apollo X Series of Thunderbolt 3 rackmount audio interfaces — the biggest leap forward for their award-winning Apollo line in history — available now for Mac* and Windows users worldwide.

Featuring all-new, elite-class A/D and D/A conversion and HEXA Core UAD plug-in processing — yielding 50% more DSP for running UAD Powered Plug-Ins in real time — the Apollo X range is further distinguished by its ability to run Unison mic preamp models from Neve, Manley, API, Helios, and SSL,** plus selectable +24 dBu operating levels, and comprehensive Surround Sound monitoring support for 5.1 and 7.1 formats.†

New Apollo X Interface Series Features:

• Elite-class A/D and D/A conversion nearing the widest dynamic range and lowest signal to noise available — at any price
• Powerful HEXA Core processing, featuring 6 UAD DSP processors, yielding 50% more DSP for running UAD Powered Plug-Ins in real time
• Near-zero latency through preamp emulations from Neve, API, Manley, Fender, and more using Unison™ technology (Apollo x6, x8, x8p)
• Switchable +24 / +20 dBu operation for optimal connection with professional studio equipment
• Supported surround formats up to 7.1, complete with speaker calibration and fold-down
• Integrated Talkback microphone and built-in cues for easy communication and slating takes
• Included “Realtime Analog Classics Plus” UAD plug-ins: 610-B Tube Preamp & EQ, legacy LA-2A, 1176, and Fairchild compressors, Pultec EQs, Marshall Plexi Classic, Ampeg SVT-R Classic Bass Amp, and more.

Apollo | x16 — $3,499
The flagship Apollo x16 boasts the widest dynamic range (133 dB) and lowest THD+N (-129 dB) of any Thunderbolt audio interface on the market. This 18 x 20 interface is the perfect solution for commercial studios, mix rooms, and post production facilities.

Apollo | x8p — $2,999
Apollo x8p features eight Unison™-enabled mic preamps, allowing producers and engineers to track drums and larger projects through classic preamp emulations from Neve, API, Manley, Helios, and more. With 129 dB dynamic range and switchable +24 dBu headroom settings, the 18 x 22 Apollo x8p rivals any high-end converter on the market.

Apollo | x8 — $2,499
Apollo x8 features four Unison-enabled mic preamps, making it the ideal studio centerpiece for music producers, project, and post-production studios. Apollo x8 provides elite-class 129 dB dynamic range, switchable +24 dBu operation, and 18 x 24 connectivity.

Apollo | x6 — $1,999
Apollo x6 is ideal for electronic music producers and post-production studios, featuring two Unison-enabled mic preamps and Hi-Z inputs, 129 dB dynamic range, 5.1 Surround support, and 16 x 22 connectivity.

*Mac Pro (Late 2013 / “black cylinder” model) compatibility for Apollo X coming Q4 2014. **Apollo X interfaces include the “Realtime Analog Classics” bundle. Other UAD plug-ins sold separately. †Surround sound features coming Q4 2018.

Learn more about Apollo X audio interfaces: Apollo X
Attached Thumbnails
Universal Audio Announces New Apollo X Thunderbolt 3 Interfaces for Mac and Windows-apollo_x_family_stacked_3qtr_transparent.jpg  
Old 6th September 2018
  #2
Gear Nut
 
VintageKingAudio's Avatar
 

We've had on our hands on the Apollo X interfaces for a few weeks and couldn't be more excited. Click here to learn more about the interfaces and see them in action in our new video series.
Old 6th September 2018
  #3
Lives for gear
 
Seamus TM's Avatar
 

What a pain in the ass.
I just bought an Apollo 16 mk2 a week ago.
Whatever.
Old 6th September 2018
  #4
Manufacturer
 
Universal Audio's Avatar
 

Full specs for each unit can be found in the Features tab at the bottom.

Click the + to expand.
Old 6th September 2018
  #5
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus TM View Post
What a pain in the ass.
I just bought an Apollo 16 mk2 a week ago.
Whatever.
did you get the discount??? return that **** if not
Old 6th September 2018
  #6
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus TM View Post
What a pain in the ass.
I just bought an Apollo 16 mk2 a week ago.
Whatever.
I bought 2.. I am kinda pissed
Old 6th September 2018
  #7
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Universal Audio View Post
Full specs for each unit can be found in the Features tab at the bottom.

Click the + to expand.
What is HEXA core processing? I don't see a true explanation of what it is anywhere. How is a HEXA core any different from having 9 DSP chips? Does the x6 have the same DSP as the x8?

And what do you do with the extra meters (7/8) on the x6?
Old 6th September 2018
  #8
Manufacturer
 
Universal Audio's Avatar
 

Duo
Quad
Hexa
Octo

We filled in the empty slot. 6 chips.
Old 6th September 2018
  #9
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Mastering View Post
What is HEXA core processing? I don't see a true explanation of what it is anywhere. How is a HEXA core any different from having 9 DSP chips? Does the x6 have the same DSP as the x8?

And what do you do with the extra meters (7/8) on the x6?

9 dsp chips? try 6. HEXACORE processing is a fancy way of saying “we added 2 dsp chips”
Old 6th September 2018
  #10
Lives for gear
 
T_R_S's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus TM View Post
What a pain in the ass.
I just bought an Apollo 16 mk2 a week ago.
Whatever.
UAD X rumours have been on the web for at least a month
Old 6th September 2018
  #11
Lives for gear
 
Seamus TM's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_R_S View Post
UAD X rumours have been on the web for at least a month
I wasn't paying attention.
It's no big deal; just mildly annoying.
I still have an Apogee AD16x, too.
It's all good stuff.
Old 6th September 2018
  #12
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Universal Audio View Post
Duo
Quad
Hexa
Octo

We filled in the empty slot. 6 chips.
I see. for some reason I was under the assumption that apollo 8 had an octo board before.
Old 6th September 2018
  #13
Lives for gear
 
Seamus TM's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageKingAudio View Post
We've had on our hands on the Apollo X interfaces for a few weeks and couldn't be more excited. Click here to learn more about the interfaces and see them in action in our new video series.
Could you please lay out the differences in AD quality between the X16 and 16 mk2?
Old 6th September 2018
  #14
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus TM View Post
What a pain in the ass.
I just bought an Apollo 16 mk2 a week ago.
Whatever.
Return it and swap for the new one!
Old 6th September 2018
  #15
Manufacturer
 
Universal Audio's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Mastering View Post
I see. for some reason I was under the assumption that apollo 8 had an octo board before.
No, only Octo was Satellite.
Old 6th September 2018
  #16
Lives for gear
 
brucerothwell's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus TM View Post
What a pain in the ass.
I just bought an Apollo 16 mk2 a week ago.
Whatever.
Metric Halo doesn't leave their customers behind with obsolete hardware. ;-)
Old 6th September 2018
  #17
Lives for gear
 
Seamus TM's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucerothwell View Post
Metric Halo doesn't leave their customers behind with obsolete hardware. ;-)

Well, to fair, the 16 mk2 isn't obsolete.
It still works and sounds good, obviously.
Old 6th September 2018
  #18
Gear Maniac
 
OwDU7's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Universal Audio View Post
Duo
Quad
Hexa
Octo

We filled in the empty slot. 6 chips.
Just to be clear. The DSP chips used in the “Octo” are the same as the ones released now in the interfaces yes? Meaning the most powerful DSP unit is still the UAD2 OCTO Satellite!

Thanks
Old 6th September 2018
  #19
Manufacturer
 
Universal Audio's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwDU7 View Post
Just to be clear. The DSP chips used in the “Octo” are the same as the ones released now in the interfaces yes? Meaning the most powerful DSP unit is still the UAD2 OCTO Satellite!

Thanks
Correct.
Old 6th September 2018
  #20
Manufacturer
 
Universal Audio's Avatar
 

More details here:

YouTube
Old 6th September 2018
  #21
Gear Addict
 

Cool

Very cool to release sth like that suddenly just in September
Old 6th September 2018
  #22
Gear Maniac
I have to admit, I'm kind of shocked UA didn't take advantage of the psychological significance of "X" as a new version number to make bigger changes to the units. Thinking of it as version 10 etc, I really expected them to release UAD3 here. But I think maybe I figured out their intended marketing slogan:

UAD 'X' - 'Xactly' the same DSP we first introduced literally one decade ago!
Old 6th September 2018
  #23
Upgrade from MK2 option?
Old 6th September 2018
  #24
Gear Maniac
 
OwDU7's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Universal Audio View Post
Correct.
Old 6th September 2018
  #25
Gear Maniac
 
brandonhackler's Avatar
 

So just to clarify that I'm reading this correctly in the manual...

I own an Apollo 8 and a Twin already. My studio computer is Thunderbolt 2 only. Am I reading correctly that I can, in fact, integrate this into my setup with the Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter?
Old 6th September 2018
  #26
Manufacturer
 
Universal Audio's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonhackler View Post
So just to clarify that I'm reading this correctly in the manual...

I own an Apollo 8 and a Twin already. My studio computer is Thunderbolt 2 only. Am I reading correctly that I can, in fact, integrate this into my setup with the Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter?
yes, you can.

The Apple TB3-TB2 adaptor is bi-directional.
Old 6th September 2018
  #27
Manufacturer
 
Universal Audio's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by auralart View Post
Upgrade from MK2 option?
Not possible, it's a new piece of hardware.
Old 6th September 2018
  #28
Rea
Lives for gear
 
Rea's Avatar
 

Gotta understand:

Is it exactly the same as previous model but with additional 2 sHRCS?
Convertors and analog stage simillar?

Ita not clear.

Thanks
Old 6th September 2018
  #29
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gammon2004 View Post
I have to admit, I'm kind of shocked UA didn't take advantage of the psychological significance of "X" as a new version number to make bigger changes to the units. Thinking of it as version 10 etc, I really expected them to release UAD3 here. But I think maybe I figured out their intended marketing slogan:

UAD 'X' - 'Xactly' the same DSP we first introduced literally one decade ago!

THIS!!!!!

I just hope that they don't have the old "Waves" mentality with trying to squeeze us for every last dime before they realize that they should have given us UAD3 or more DSP sooner before its too late.
No company is "un-blacklist-able" and it being 2018, they really need to step up a gear with the power they are given us in the UAD2 platform for what they are charging.
I'll still be buying one of these, but needed to be said.
Old 6th September 2018
  #30
Manufacturer
 
Universal Audio's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rea View Post
Is it exactly the same as previous model but with additional 2 sHRCS?
Convertors and analog stage simillar?
All new conversion across the line.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump