The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Universal Audio Announces New Apollo X Thunderbolt 3 Interfaces for Mac and Windows
Old 16th October 2019
Gear Nut

Check Instagram, Twin mk3 coming October 22.
Old 17th October 2019
I'm kinda surprised to see this tbh, I kinda thought the mkll's would ride for a while. I've been considering picking one up as a monitor-controller/mobile-unit to hook up with my Apollo's.

I'm sure it will be a TB3 unit, but really curious to see if UA answered any of the requests that have been echoed through the years, or if it's the same feature set.

Which isn't bad by any means, these are great little units. Really hoping the a/d/a converters are on par with the X, and that the preamps can be completely bypassed. Thats it! haha

If theres also an adat out I wont be mad...
Old 17th October 2019
Lives for gear

Hello
Anyone compared the new apollo converters versus the Uaudio 2192?

Thanks
Sergio
Old 17th October 2019
Lives for gear

Hello
Anyone compared the new apollo converters versus the Uaudio 2192?

Thanks
Sergio
Old 22nd October 2019
Gear Nut
Sergio - I have both the x6 and 2192. Nothing I’ve used comes close to the 2192 for musicality and analog vibe or I’d sell it. The Apollo is more forward and probably more neutral but I can’t aay for sure.
Old 22nd October 2019
Lives for gear

When my 2192 broke down long time ago, UA would not share the relevant information with my technician and/ or send him parts, after he already tracked down the error. They said the repair would only be allowed at their own facility. However, they advised against sending it in (which is expensive from Europe) as according to them there already were „newer, better, less expensive“ ADCs at that time (which was directly after they released their 1st generation of audio interfaces). So I donated that barely used thing to my technician in order to scrap it for parts and swore to myself not to buy anything UA ever again. Yet I lately bought an X6 anyway and a lot of plugins.
Old 22nd October 2019
Gear Nut

@ Universal Audio , are convertors in new Twin X same as Apollo 6P, 8P ?
Old 22nd October 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziko123 View Post
@ Universal Audio , are convertors in new Twin X same as Apollo 6P, 8P ?
That's what I thought from a quick read of the post but I would check to make sure.
Old 22nd October 2019
Lives for gear

I thought the X series had an updated conversion over the P?
Old 22nd October 2019
Gear Addict

From another thread I saw, it seems that UA are using a different clock in the desktop interfaces than in the rackmount ones. However the converters in the new desktop interfaces are meant to be the same as the Apollo X rackmount ones.
Old 22nd October 2019
Lives for gear

I believe the 16X is superior to all others... a flagship if you will.
Old 22nd October 2019
Manufacturer

x4 and Twin X are the same as x6, x8, x8P.

They spec out a little different due to power etc.
Old 23rd October 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Universal Audio View Post
Only a few weeks to wait now.
Just enough time to sell my old gear
Old 23rd October 2019
Quote:

So what kind of issues are we talking about with say using a twin mk2 with an x rack?
Old 23rd October 2019
Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by szyam View Post
So what kind of issues are we talking about with say using a twin mk2 with an x rack?
None?? Were you expecting any?
Old 23rd October 2019
Quote:
None?? Were you expecting any?
Sorry, didn’t mean “issues” in a negative way. But since you mentioned some are using the same clocking and some are using different clocking, I’m just curious if there’s any measurable differences when using together in a larger Apollo system.
Old 23rd October 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:

Helloo!

Just wondering, is there any reason to go for X6 or x8p?
When prices of X and X4 will be less than above these.

Also the new Dual-Crystal clocking — " featuring dedicated crystals for 44.1/88.2/176.4k and 48/96/192k sample rates... " same in Twin X?

I didn't find its mention in the product feature page, and no interface specs sheet too.
Old 23rd October 2019
Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziko123 View Post
Helloo!

Just wondering, is there any reason to go for X6 or x8p?
When prices of X and X4 will be less than above these.

Also the new Dual-Crystal clocking — " featuring dedicated crystals for 44.1/88.2/176.4k and 48/96/192k sample rates... " same in Twin X?

I didn't find its mention in the product feature page, and no interface specs sheet too.
There are lots of reasons you might choose the x6 or x8P, the dual crystal clocks being one of them. (Twin X and x4 do not have them)

Surround Sound, +24dBu operation, 6 DSPs being others.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have follow up Qs.
Old 23rd October 2019
Manufacturer

Quote:
Sorry, didn’t mean “issues” in a negative way. But since you mentioned some are using the same clocking and some are using different clocking, I’m just curious if there’s any measurable differences when using together in a larger Apollo system.
If you've got an X series in your system, you'll want it to be the Monitor unit for its D/A and clocking for sure.

So even with the new Twin X and x4, the X series devices would be top dog.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I have a tech savvy question for anyone who knows. So, with Apollo interfaces, using the front end Hi-Z inputs cancels out the use of the rear end Combo XLF inputs. So you can't use them simultaneously. I find this a drawback for someone like myself, who would like to use the two Hi-Z inputs simultaneously with the rear end 4 XLR inputs for drums. My question is, is this common with all interfaces? Focusrite, RME, Apogee, Antelope, E.T.C.? Or is it possible on other brand interfaces to use them all simultaneously. Ive tried find more info but cannot. Also, if it is common, is there a specific reason why? Curious if this is just an UA Apollo thing, or the same across the board. Any help on getting an answer is super appreciated! Its been bothering me wondering. Thank you all in advance!
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoundlessRhythm View Post
I have a tech savvy question for anyone who knows. So, with Apollo interfaces, using the front end Hi-Z inputs cancels out the use of the rear end Combo XLF inputs. So you can't use them simultaneously. I find this a drawback for someone like myself, who would like to use the two Hi-Z inputs simultaneously with the rear end 4 XLR inputs for drums. My question is, is this common with all interfaces? Focusrite, RME, Apogee, Antelope, E.T.C.? Or is it possible on other brand interfaces to use them all simultaneously. Ive tried find more info but cannot. Also, if it is common, is there a specific reason why? Curious if this is just an UA Apollo thing, or the same across the board. Any help on getting an answer is super appreciated! Its been bothering me wondering. Thank you all in advance!
"most" interfaces act like this, it's pretty normal. Essentially each mic pre/line in/DI in is connect to a A>D converter, so if you could do that with an interface such as this, it would technically need to be an Apollo 10. Which, would be cool, but obv more expensive...
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
"most" interfaces act like this, it's pretty normal. Essentially each mic pre/line in/DI in is connect to a A>D converter, so if you could do that with an interface such as this, it would technically need to be an Apollo 10. Which, would be cool, but obv more expensive...

Thanks a bunch for your response! Much appreciated. So would the be the same with something like an RME UFX, or Apogee Ensemble? Or, what about an Antelope Zen tour? Do the hi z inputs cancel out the use of the Combo XLRS on the back then when in use? Thats what im most curious about. Seems there's gotta be a way. But maybe its expensive to implement?
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Thanks a bunch for your response! Much appreciated. So would the be the same with something like an RME UFX, or Apogee Ensemble? Or, what about an Antelope Zen tour? Do the hi z inputs cancel out the use of the Combo XLRS on the back then when in use? Thats what im most curious about. Seems there's gotta be a way. But maybe its expensive to implement?
Why are you not going to each brand’s website and researching this yourself?
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blayz2002 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by blayz2002 View Post
Quote:
Well, clearly, my lack of knowledge, admittedly, prevented me from finding out on my own. Even though I did indeed try to do my own research first, so youre aware, but you didnt ask, you simply assumed and told. To answer your question clearly. However, I was able to find this information on the Apollo Interfaces on my own, clearly. Hence why I asked. Could not with other interface brands. I tried. Last I checked everyone on this forum seems pretty helpful towards one another, including the person who answered my question initially. And, I thank those people willing to help. Clearly, however, youre a troll with nothing better to offer than negativity and bs. If you spent that time trying to help (if and when possible) youd be happier and so would others. I didnt ask for ridicule, I asked for help, cause I clearly needed it. Dont assume what I did before asking. Goodluck. Thanks for your “help.”
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Basically you start with how many channels of conversion you need at once, lets say 8 channels like an Apollo 8.

So that's 8 AD/DA channels.

Then it's what kind of analog channels (inputs essentially) you need? PreAmp inputs---needed for Mics and DI's(essentially) and line inputs (no preamps = line level inputs)?

The Apollo 8 has 4 pre amp inputs. That means either 4 mics or, if DI (front HighZ input), it still needs the mic pre amp, just at a different impedance and gain level, so the front HighZ's uses the same preamp that the back XLR's are connected to, so it has to mute that. Either way, the Apollo 8 only has 4 of these Preamp inputs. So it's not the 4 mic inputs on the back + the 2 highZ inputs on the back--if it was, it would be a 6 preamp input Apollo (which they don't make). It's just 4 preamps (mic and/or combination of HighZ that will never total more than 4 preamp inputs).

The remaining inputs are line level. So, you could of course use external mic preamps and external DI boxes to interface with the remaining LINE level inputs.

The Apollo 8p has 8 mic pres/pre amps total, so say 6 mics and 2 HighZ's all recording at the same time. Or 8 mics all at once--or 7 mics and 1 HighZ. The 'P' actually stands for 8 pre amps.

The Apollo 6 has less.

So, don't confuse the AD/DA channel count with how many mic preamps/DI's the unit has. For instance the Apollo 16 is LINE inputs only, on the analog side. So zero mic pres/DI's in the Apollo 16---which is essentially designed to interface with outboard pre amps, like an analog console.

Last edited by Fleaman; 4 weeks ago at 08:42 PM.. Reason: .
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Well, clearly, my lack of knowledge, admittedly, prevented me from finding out on my own. Even though I did indeed try to do my own research first, so youre aware, but you didnt ask, you simply assumed and told. To answer your question clearly. However, I was able to find this information on the Apollo Interfaces on my own, clearly. Hence why I asked. Could not with other interface brands. I tried. Last I checked everyone on this forum seems pretty helpful towards one another, including the person who answered my question initially. And, I thank those people willing to help. Clearly, however, youre a troll with nothing better to offer than negativity and bs. If you spent that time trying to help (if and when possible) youd be happier and so would others. I didnt ask for ridicule, I asked for help, cause I clearly needed it. Dont assume what I did before asking. Goodluck. Thanks for your “help.”
Troll? Bit of an overreaction. I have helped loads of people on here. I didn’t assume anything. I asked a question. The reason why, being that when it comes to something complex like interfaces, it makes sense that potential buyers also do their own research and learn about what they’re buying in detail, as the wrong interface can be a pain to live with.

The other reason I said that was because it’s unlikely you’ll get in-depth responses for all those interfaces in a thread about Apollo’s.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

has anyone here compare the new x6, x8, x15 versus the older Apollo interfaces without the x?
wonder if there's a sonic difference in terms of their converters and pre-amps.
Old 3 weeks ago
Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by midmost View Post
has anyone here compare the new x6, x8, x15 versus the older Apollo interfaces without the x?
Pres are the same, conversion and dual crystal clocking is all new.

So there's a sonic step up for sure. How much? That's a personal thing, see your UA dealer for an in person demo to hear for yourself.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

How do people deal with the x6 or x8 having digital inputs on their monitoring as I do?!
The only interface having AES/EBU is the x16 - the others unfortunately do not.
@ Universal Audio : Why for gods sake did you not implement AES/EBU on the x6 and x8?
I see lots of spare space on the rear and a simple AES/EBU I/O is not a stretch at all, from an engineering point-of-view.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by midmost View Post
I've got an x8 and a blackface 8 right next to it. The D/A is indeed a huge step up. But if you're using digital outs to your monitors you would get zero benefit from that. I haven't bothered comparing the A/D on the two but I'll take UA's word for it that the A/D on the X is improved over the blackface. Pres are the same.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search