The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Universal Audio Announces New Apollo X Thunderbolt 3 Interfaces for Mac and Windows
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Universal Audio View Post
No, it MUST be Sierra or newer.
Sigh ...... new it..... thanks for the reply. I'm on 10.9.5 with Pro tools 11.3.1 and looking to update from a Digi 003.
Old 4 weeks ago
Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Surprises View Post
Sigh ...... new it..... thanks for the reply. I'm on 10.9.5 with Pro tools 11.3.1 and looking to update from a Digi 003.
I wish I had better news for you. But it will kernel panic for sure.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:

this is why you should always update both your computer and your interface at the same time
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightOnRome View Post
this is why you should always update both your computer and your interface at the same time
Yeah but apart from the cost of that it also means having to go to PT 12 as well.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Yeah but apart from the cost of that it also means having to go to PT 12 as well.
yea thats another can of worms.. i hate the update/upgrade process ..but in the end you get some great piece of mind.. I bought the PT 10/11/12 combo - maybe 11 will still work for you?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
i have an Apollo expanded set up with an x8 and a Twin MKII. monitor mixes are done through protools sends and a Hearback 8 channel hub/distro amp. i am trying to route the talkback mic through a PT aux into Apollo x8's analog line out 7. i have the aux set up in PT and neither Talkback A channels 1/2 or Talkback B channels 1/2 are showing any level even with talkback engaged on my Twin which is acting as a desktop controller/extra IO.

is there a setting in Console that i need to enable to make the talkback mic routable to a track in PT?

ps. PLEASE do not ask why I'm not monitoring or doing cue mixes through Console. in my set up/workflow the Console app is only used for front end processing, not as a low latency mixer.

Thanks!
Old 4 weeks ago
Manufacturer

Sure, you can easily do this.

Just make the TB of the Twin an input in Console, then choose it as an input in Pro Tools where they can sent wherever you like, see pics.

Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Universal Audio Announces New Apollo X Thunderbolt 3 Interfaces for Mac and Windows-screen-shot-2019-05-17-8.37.25-am.jpg   Universal Audio Announces New Apollo X Thunderbolt 3 Interfaces for Mac and Windows-screen-shot-2019-05-17-8.37.03-am.png  
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Best practice for recording through Apollo X

Hi,

I am using an Apollo x6 and in this environment my synths going through a Speck mixer at unity gain are not getting quite as high levels in the DAW as I would like coming in. (Trying to record with peaks around -10 and RMS around -18.)

So the Speck being a fine mixer, I could turn up the volume there, but I also could take the Apollo 1-2 inputs out Line Input Gain Bypass mode that bypasses the preamp and turn the preamp on and raise the gain there. So the question is would I be better off doing that at the mixer or in the Apollo, even if I need to turn up the mixer channel quite a bit to get the level I want?

Thank you,

Spoff
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightOnRome View Post
yea thats another can of worms.. i hate the update/upgrade process ..but in the end you get some great piece of mind.. I bought the PT 10/11/12 combo - maybe 11 will still work for you?
I don't think 11 does work .... don't know of anyone that has got it too.
Old 3 weeks ago
Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoff View Post
Hi,

I am using an Apollo x6 and in this environment my synths going through a Speck mixer at unity gain are not getting quite as high levels in the DAW as I would like coming in. (Trying to record with peaks around -10 and RMS around -18.)

So the Speck being a fine mixer, I could turn up the volume there, but I also could take the Apollo 1-2 inputs out Line Input Gain Bypass mode that bypasses the preamp and turn the preamp on and raise the gain there. So the question is would I be better off doing that at the mixer or in the Apollo, even if I need to turn up the mixer channel quite a bit to get the level I want?

Thank you,

Spoff
And you're feeling good about the level between the synths and the Speck? Is each synth output all the way up or pulled back a little?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
And you're feeling good about the level between the synths and the Speck? Is each synth output all the way up or pulled back a little?
Yes, the level of the synths to the mixer is good. The volumes are all the way up. For one of the synths (the Montage)it is not always an issue, but for things like the Korg XD I am having trouble getting the levels up to where they should be.

For my previous A/D by Mytek I was using the input volume knob to get more level, and this knob apparently controlled "input sensitivity". Does the Apollo have an equivalent setting? Is input sensitivity a way to get more gain without amplifying the signal? If so is there an advantage of using a preamp to get more gain (by boosting the signal) as opposed to making the device more sensitive to a signal?

Thanks.

Last edited by Spoff; 3 weeks ago at 02:44 AM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Manufacturer

Apollo's have a line input gain amp you can use.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Apollo's have a line input gain amp you can use.
Thus my question of would it be better to use that or the Speck to raise the gain? As the UAD manual mentions that by using the bypass mode that bypasses that input gain amp one has a more pure signal path through the unit.

Is input gain the same as input sensitivity? I got the impression that the input sensitivity on the Muytek was somehow "raising the gain" by making itself more sensitive to it as opposed to amplifying the signal. Don't know if it matters.

Thanks.
Old 3 weeks ago
Manufacturer

Quote:
Thus my question of would it be better to use that or the Speck to raise the gain? As the UAD manual mentions that by using the bypass mode that bypasses that input gain amp one has a more pure signal path through the unit.

Thanks.
If you wanted to be really sure, it's a relatively easy test to do a pass each way and compare.

There's also a bit of digital gain once in Console, or my preference would be to add a v76 or Studer plugin to the chain which would do double duty with some sat and gain.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:

Is input gain the same as input sensitivity? I got the impression that the input sensitivity on the Muytek was somehow "raising the gain" by making itself more sensitive to it as opposed to amplifying the signal. Don't know if it matters.

Thanks.
I'd test and see for sure but I'm guessing they would be hard to differentiate. I'd prob use the speck to raise in the analog domain, or use the console to add preamp/tape/saturation etc if you want color/vibe...
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by szyam View Post
I'd test and see for sure but I'm guessing they would be hard to differentiate. I'd prob use the speck to raise in the analog domain, or use the console to add preamp/tape/saturation etc if you want color/vibe...
Typically it usually makes sense to gain at the sauce output. It should lower the potential for noise to be introduced. If then you need more gain, then use whatever is next in the chain.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Thanks you three.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
If you wanted to be really sure, it's a relatively easy test to do a pass each way and compare.

There's also a bit of digital gain once in Console, or my preference would be to add a v76 or Studer plugin to the chain which would do double duty with some sat and gain.
Yes, it is easy to do that. But sometimes these things are so subtle and show up more once a bunch of tracks are recorded one way or the other, which is why I was looking for general best practice.
Old 3 weeks ago
Apollo Expanded set with Twin MKII & X6

Hi Guys,

Wonder if anyone can help

I have just received a new Twin MKII. I am mow trying to use it along with my X6 in an Expanded set up. The UAD Meter & Control Panel and Console are hanging when both units are switched on, also it looks like the plugins are not registered to both devices. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the latest UAD software V9.9 (inc preferences), but there's no change.

The set up with my 2019 Mac Mini with 4 Thunderbolt 3 ports, is as follows:

1. I have the X6 connected directly to the 1st port on the Mac (I have been previously using this with no issue).
2. I have my Twin MKII connected to the 2nd port on the Mac via an Apple Thunderbolt 1-3 adapter.
3. I have a Satellite Thunderbolt 2 connected to the 3rd via an Apple thunderbolt 2-3 adapter.
4. I have a Satellite Firewire connected to the 2nd port on the Satellite Thunderbolt.

I've logged a ticket with UA Support but thought I'd try here as well.

Thanks
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Not sure if it matters or not, but have you tried connecting the Twin to the 2nd port on the x6 instead of the MAC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blayz2002 View Post
Hi Guys,

Wonder if anyone can help

I have just received a new Twin MKII. I am mow trying to use it along with my X6 in an Expanded set up. The UAD Meter & Control Panel and Console are hanging when both units are switched on, also it looks like the plugins are not registered to both devices. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the latest UAD software V9.9 (inc preferences), but there's no change.

The set up with my 2019 Mac Mini with 4 Thunderbolt 3 ports, is as follows:

1. I have the X6 connected directly to the 1st port on the Mac (I have been previously using this with no issue).
2. I have my Twin MKII connected to the 2nd port on the Mac via an Apple Thunderbolt 1-3 adapter.
3. I have a Satellite Thunderbolt 2 connected to the 3rd via an Apple thunderbolt 2-3 adapter.
4. I have a Satellite Firewire connected to the 2nd port on the Satellite Thunderbolt.

I've logged a ticket with UA Support but thought I'd try here as well.

Thanks
Old 3 weeks ago
Manufacturer

All devices in series on the same port is the supported config FYI.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
All devices in series on the same port is the supported config FYI.
Okay so daisy chain the Twin into the x6?
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by shatz View Post
Not sure if it matters or not, but have you tried connecting the Twin to the 2nd port on the x6 instead of the MAC?
Going to give that a try now.

Thanks
Old 3 weeks ago
Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blayz2002 View Post
Okay so daisy chain the Twin into the x6?
Twins have one port, so it'll be last.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by shatz View Post

Quote:
Twins have one port, so it'll be last.
Thanks both that looks like it did the trick!

Now to set up my Console

Think I'm to really enjoy this set up, can't wait to get mixing.
Old 3 weeks ago
Manufacturer

Congrats!!

Be sure to take advantage of all the info on help.uaudio.com as well as many youtube tutorials.

We also have UA specific forums @ www.uadforums.com
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Congrats!!

Be sure to take advantage of all the info on help.uaudio.com as well as many youtube tutorials.

We also have UA specific forums @ www.uadforums.com

Will do thanks, and yep, I’m a member over at the UAD forum too (different username though). Been using UAD since the UAD 1 PCI card days!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

How can I stereo link the unison channels of the x6 in the mixer software?
Old 1 week ago
Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eigenwert View Post
How can I stereo link the unison channels of the x6 in the mixer software?
Single click a channel name in Console, there's a link button in the pop up window.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search