The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Universal Audio Announces New Apollo X Thunderbolt 3 Interfaces for Mac and Windows
Old 6th September 2018
Lives for gear

Congrats to you guys, looks like a great refresh. Dynamic range and THD specs look stellar. I can't imagine how much work and how many people are involved in such a complex product!
Old 6th September 2018
Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELI-173 View Post
Congrats to you guys, looks like a great refresh. Dynamic range and THD specs look stellar. I can't imagine how much work and how many people are involved in such a complex product!
Thanks!!

I think the x16 is going to set a new standard.
Old 6th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Universal Audio View Post
Thanks!!

I think the x16 is going to set a new standard.
I've been using an Apollo Twin as our demo rig for trade shows and events for awhile now and it's been awesome. Looks like the 'ol Apogee's are getting the boot for one of these x16's!
Old 6th September 2018
Decade old tech? Bahhh, just add more of them!

Conversion looks like it could be a winner though.
Old 7th September 2018
Lives for gear

Couldn’t you guys just have a mail in upgrade to use the extra cap cards you have before you release uad3? Since the slots were already in the Apollo’s
Old 7th September 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus TM View Post
What a pain in the ass.
I just bought an Apollo 16 mk2 a week ago.
Whatever.
Can't you return it? Most vendors have 30 day return policy.
Old 7th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
What a pain in the ass.
Whatever.
Return it. Let UA deal with that.
Old 7th September 2018
Lives for gear

As a friend mentioned to me, I too wonder if they will ever add direct connections for/to Protools HDX cards.
Old 7th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post
Return it. Let UA deal with that.
Hey man,
I bought it used.
I try not to buy any computery stuff new (for exactly this reason).
If I had waited a couple more weeks, people would be unloading their mk2 for cheaper than I bought it for.
No bigs.
Old 7th September 2018
Lives for gear

Why no support for the 2013 Mac Pro? I don’t get why it wouldn’t work.
Old 7th September 2018
Lives for gear

The Apollo X 8P appears to have DB25 in and out. I'm hoping that is a big plus for people that want to use outboard gear with their Apollos. I have the 8P and will almost certainly upgrade at some point. They are offering a trade in and it might be a good move. On the other hand, it does a great job and its kind of foolish to always chase the next greatest computer iteration. Sometimes its better to just use something that works well until it dies and by then rather than a small upgrade there has been a full on evolution.
Old 7th September 2018
Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Jazz View Post
The Apollo X 8P appears to have DB25 in and out. I'm hoping that is a big plus for people that want to use outboard gear with their Apollos.
This and +24dBu operation will make it easier to have the line ins in the patchbay and interface with pro gear in their sweet spots.
Old 7th September 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
All new conversion across the line.
Drew, I wish you guys would at least lower the price of the satellite cards. You've been selling them at top price for 10 years now, and we all know how cheap are those Sharcs chips. R&D costs have long been recouped. As you know a lot of us UAD users are frustrated that we can't use your plugins as much as we'd like to (especially the newer ones). The new SSL channel might be my favorite EQ ITB but I didn't even buy it because I can't justify having to spend $1000 on an additional octo card with 10 year old technology.

I really hope you guys are listening to our feedback.
Old 7th September 2018
Gear Nut

Are there any converter differences or sound quality differences in the analog electronics between the X6, X8 and X8p? I believe in the last units the 8p had better specs on the DACs.

(Not asking about the new x16, which I know has better specs).

Thanks,

Spoff
Old 7th September 2018
No multi-channel digital I/O on the x16 :(

I would be nice if it could be used as a viable stand alone AD/DA with those specs. Oh Well....
Old 7th September 2018
Gear Guru

looks good.
UA please release some new more powerful satellites.
an octo gets pegged super fast on film score 96k sessions.
Old 7th September 2018
Lives for gear
I would never buy this without a compare listen... it's all marketing talk
Old 7th September 2018
Gear Nut

a question for UA: have the Unison preamps been improved over 2nd Gen Apollos?
Old 7th September 2018
Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoff View Post
Are there any converter differences or sound quality differences in the analog electronics between the X6, X8 and X8p? I believe in the last units the 8p had better specs on the DACs.

(Not asking about the new x16, which I know has better specs).

Thanks,

Spoff
x6, x8, and x8P are all the same.
Old 7th September 2018
Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyGoldstein View Post
I would never buy this without a compare listen... it's all marketing talk
Good plan. Get with your local UA dealer and hear one for yourself.
Old 7th September 2018
Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicardoWheelock View Post
a question for UA: have the Unison preamps been improved over 2nd Gen Apollos?
Same pres.
Old 7th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
looks good.
UA please release some new more powerful satellites.
an octo gets pegged super fast on film score 96k sessions.
Charge more money, buy more satellites and USB hubs.
Old 7th September 2018
Gear Nut
Looks like a nice update, not earth shaking but solid.

My only gripe with UAD is that ALL of their plugins show up in your host regardless of whether you own them. Its a massive pain to trawl through a huge list to find the one you want/own to use. Please UAD, fix this..
Old 7th September 2018
Deleted 86c3d96
Quote:
What a pain in the ass.
Whatever.
Heavily discounted, I assume?
Old 7th September 2018
Deleted 86c3d96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin III View Post
Couldn’t you guys just have a mail in upgrade to use the extra cap cards you have before you release uad3? Since the slots were already in the Apollo’s
If I recall correctly there weren't enough pins on the existing FPGA to connect additional sharcs.
Old 7th September 2018
Deleted 86c3d96
Quote:
Originally Posted by VNVNation View Post
Looks like a nice update, not earth shaking but solid.

My only gripe with UAD is that ALL of their plugins show up in your host regardless of whether you own them. Its a massive pain to trawl through a huge list to find the one you want/own to use. Please UAD, fix this..
Agree, but how else will you know what you are missing?
Old 7th September 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webb View Post
Why no support for the 2013 Mac Pro? I don’t get why it wouldn’t work.
What? I have a 2013 Mac Pro and I just ordered the X6, where does it say no support for 2013 Mac Pro is this true?

Ahh I see it, order canceled, how ridiculous.
Old 7th September 2018
Quote:
Not possible, it's a new piece of hardware.

Not the actual unit but some manufacturers will let you mail in your old interface and get the new version at a discounted price. I can't remember if you guys have done the same in the past.

I got 2 Apollos about 4 months ago. Would've waited for the new ones if I had known they were going to be released.

Asking for a friend...
Old 7th September 2018
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Sergeant View Post
What? I have a 2013 Mac Pro and I just ordered the X6, where does it say no support for 2013 Mac Pro is this true?

Ahh I see it, order canceled, how ridiculous.
Damn, that's annoying. Odd not to support the MacPro from the get-go.
Old 7th September 2018
Gear Head

So no one is going to mention the elephant in the room?

UAD have become under increasing scrutiny for what is felt to be under powered hardware especially when compared to modern day i7 workstation’s i.e. native processing.

UAD release an updated version of the audio interface boasting of ‘hexa core’ processing resulting in an increased instance of DSP usage (50%).
This is a huge selling point for prospective customers who may have previously been concerned that the current platform is bottlenecked due to SHARC performance and held back from investing in the platform.

Looking at the website however there is not a satisfactory explanation regarding ‘Hexa-core’ and the 50% increase of DSP load. I find that very strange. Is the increased processing power the result of a completely new chip set or is the increased processing power relative to a Quad or duo machine? If it is the latter I am quite surprised that a company like UAD would stoop to what I would certainly say amounts to misleading advertisement, or in today’s modern world ‘click bait’.

Why would I buy a 6 chip model of the current generation which will likely suffer the same bottle neck issues with the more processor intensive plugins? Does that make sense? Can this business model of UAD really be sustained now, especially with the introduction of the latest intel and AMD cpu’s. For the money I could buy a new CPU and go native with a richer variety of VST compatible plugins.

What am I missing here?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search