The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Slate Digital VRS8 Thunderbolt Interface - Now Available
Old 5th September 2018
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital

Slate Digital VRS8 Thunderbolt Interface - Now Available

CLICK HERE FOR LAUNCH VIDEO: YouTube

One of the greatest parts about my job is being able to create products that I have dreamed about for years. And the Virtual Recording Studio concept has been one of my greatest dreams.

When I started out in the studio business, in order to have the best tools, you needed to be elite, rich, or have the necessary skill set to rob a bank. The rest of us were left with average tools that made it more difficult to make great sounding music.

The Virtual Recording Studio changes that. Now you can get an entire virtual arsenal of the industry’s most coveted microphones, classic compressors, vintage equalizers, tape machines, reverbs, and more.. for less than the price of a typical pro studio’s monthly electric bill!

And the final piece of the puzzle is now available, the VRS8 Thunderbolt interface.

We took a no compromise approach in the development of the VRS8. You’ll find some of its components in converters costing three times the price. And it comes with a year of the Slate Everything Bundle so you’ll have plenty of virtual gear in your studio to make great sounding records. You can also add on VMS Microphone packages for as little as $499.

Dealers: Find A Dealer (VRS8) - Slate Digital

You can demo the entire Virtual Recording Studio and hear tracks recorded with the VRS8 by visiting our VRS Experience here:

VRS Experience - Slate Digital

Note: The initial release of the VRS8 is Mac Thunderbolt. We are currently in beta with the Windows version and hope to have it out very soon. Following that, we will release a legacy Mac driver for PCIe.

FAQ: Why doesn’t the VRS8 have digital i/o like SPDIF or ADAT?

A: The VRS8 was created to be a native interface that boasts an incredible roundtrip latency as low as .7ms.

In order to do that, we created a direct chipset to handle the audio which we’ve named Low Latency Native or LLN. However, in order to maintain this low latency path, we could not interrupt the chipset with an external digital signal without compromising LLN.

To use more than 8 channels of audio, you can get an additional VRS8 for a whopping $500 OFF!

FAQ: I preordered the VRS8 several decades ago when you first announced it and I hear I get some sort of early adopter gift?

A: Yes, all preorders will get a card in their box to redeem TWO FREE ML-2 Modeling microphones, for a value of $300

Last, I truly want to thank everyone for being so patient with us over the last year as we developed this product. We certainly faced many challenges with VRS8 because we knew we had to make something that lived up to our promises. And I do believe that is what we've created.

I will be hanging out here as much as possible to answer any of your questions and read your comments. Much love and happy virtual recording!

Cheers,
Steven
Old 5th September 2018
Gear Addict

"necessary skill set to rob a bank", lol
Old 5th September 2018
Lives for gear

Outdated DSP power? But now, apparently, they will have 50% more outdated DSP power on their interfaces. Which is pretty much like adding a duo satellite to your rig. Urray, I guess.

Anyway, I understand the reasons, but the lack of ADAT will make more difficult for me to make this the center of my studio. But looks good, I will keep an eye on this.
Old 5th September 2018
Lives for gear

Siiick. The official $500 off the 2nd one is the deal maker for me. Super great. Too late for the early adopter deal I’m guessing?
Old 5th September 2018

Thanks SameOh for the comments.

Let me make it clear that we have a ton of respect for Universal Audio, and I've not hid the fact that I find their products to be incredible.

And I also know that because of their incredible products, they have very loyal customers who may take our comments personally about internal dsp chips being outdated.

But these comments are not intended as a personal jab, but merely to explain the obvious difference of opinion that we have regarding using sharc dsp to power plugins in 2018. It also partly explains the cost differences.

It's a fact that native processors are far more effective in powering modern plugins versus using sharc chips, and this can be proven by comparing plugins that are both native and also on the sharc chip platform.

If any company were to release an interface, then they surely have put a lot of work into it, and therefore it would be foolish not to make a statement of dsp vs native.

Thanks very much,

Steven
Old 5th September 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos View Post
Siiick. The official $500 off the 2nd one is the deal maker for me. Super great. Too late for the early adopter deal I’m guessing?
Unfortunately the free ML-2s are reserved for all orders previous to today.

I hope you love your 16 channels of VRS8!

Cheers,
Steven
Old 5th September 2018
Lives for gear
Congrats Steven and your team. It’s been a long journey but well worth it I’m sure. The VRS-8 is an awesome interface and sounds incredible.

All the best!
Old 5th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Slate View Post
Unfortunately the free ML-2s are reserved for all orders previous to today.

I hope you love your 16 channels of VRS8!

Cheers,
Steven
Ok thanks for the answer Steven. I am still buying!
Old 5th September 2018
Here for the gear

With new Apollo interfaces Virtual Analog war is set to a new level.
Old 5th September 2018
Gear Maniac

got to commend you here for making up for the lack of adat, the discount for the 2nd unit was a good move.
I'm looking forward to seeing how well the Windows PCIe drivers perform, i'm hoping Tafkat can get his hands on a unit to put it to the test.
Old 5th September 2018
Here for the gear
The VRS8 has been in my possession for several months as I tested and ran it secretly. I have retired my UAD Apollo's to be DSP on our two HDX rigs. The VRS8 sounds much better than the A/D's on the Apollo Silver Face models. The black face 8 or 8P may be a little closer to the quality of the VRS8. The headphone amplifier/speaker outs sound better. The virtual preamp selections are way better in my opinion than Unison preamps used by UAD.
Old 5th September 2018
Here for the gear
No need for ADAT with 3 units 24 channels only takes 3 Rack-spaces.. I used to carry 10 spaces of rack gear to achieve the same input count...
Old 5th September 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telephone Line View Post
With new Apollo interfaces Virtual Analog war is set to a new level.
Actually he makes me laugh gizmo DSP is coming!
Old 5th September 2018
Gear Maniac

Ok now my request to you Slate, Can you please come up with smaller version of this with a less price tag? that will be awesome.
Old 5th September 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by protoolswiz View Post
The VRS8 has been in my possession for several months as I tested and ran it secretly. I have retired my UAD Apollo's to be DSP on our two HDX rigs. The VRS8 sounds much better than the A/D's on the Apollo Silver Face models. The black face 8 or 8P may be a little closer to the quality of the VRS8. The headphone amplifier/speaker outs sound better. The virtual preamp selections are way better in my opinion than Unison preamps used by UAD.
And how is the latency?
Old 5th September 2018
Here for the gear
What Latency??? it's ridiculously low...
Old 5th September 2018
Gear Nut
What an exciting time in pro Audio! I’m definitely looking to upgrade!
Old 6th September 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
What Latency??? it's ridiculously low...

Indeed, but not zero. Do you have some RTL values with various buffer sizes to post?
Old 6th September 2018
Lives for gear

Would love to know the depth of the interface for racking purposes.
Old 6th September 2018
Really wish the mic pres on this were digitally controlled. It's a virtual interface and it lacks the exact recall that many other interfaces like UA, Antelope and Presonus have. I've never been a big fan of the plugins cause they're pretty noisy but if I was this would definitely be something I'd be interested in.
Old 6th September 2018
Lives for gear

A 2 or 4 input (plus 2 stereo outs and a headphone out) version would be great for smaller setups.
Old 6th September 2018
Lives for gear

Does it come with any software for mixing when tracking, for example like Maestro 2 that comes with Apogee products ?
Old 6th September 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos View Post
Would love to know the depth of the interface for racking purposes.
I'll get this info for you asap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hired Goon View Post
Indeed, but not zero. Do you have some RTL values with various buffer sizes to post?
I'll also provide some actual RTL values for various DAWS, but I assure you that in some DAWs like Logic and Studio One it can get down to .7ms!

Quote:
Originally Posted by excelcruz View Post
What an exciting time in pro Audio! I’m definitely looking to upgrade!
Living the dream over here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio Saturn View Post
Ok now my request to you Slate, Can you please come up with smaller version of this with a less price tag? that will be awesome.
Let me come up for a bit of air first but we hear you!

Quote:
Thank you so much for helping us finalize it! Glad you love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanvoth View Post
Really wish the mic pres on this were digitally controlled. It's a virtual interface and it lacks the exact recall that many other interfaces like UA, Antelope and Presonus have. I've never been a big fan of the plugins cause they're pretty noisy but if I was this would definitely be something I'd be interested in.
No more noise since VMR 2.0 update!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatworld View Post
Does it come with any software for mixing when tracking, for example like Maestro 2 that comes with Apogee products ?
Hi, the idea is that it's so low latency and low CPU that you can use your actual DAW mixer for tracking!

Cheers,
Steven
Old 6th September 2018
Gear Head

So, question then. I've had a pre-order for 2 of the units from guitar center since December. How will the $500 discount apply? Is it just supposed to be coded in their system when you buy 2? Or is it a mail in rebate or something to that extent?

I actually bought 2 of the 6 mic packages so, with the pre-order bonus I'll have an excess of microphones. Hahaha. A total of 16! Guess I wont have any issues micing up the largest of drum kits...
Old 6th September 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:

I'll also provide some actual RTL values for various DAWS, but I assure you that in some DAWs like Logic and Studio One it can get down to .7ms!

Hi, the idea is that it's so low latency and low CPU that you can use your actual DAW mixer for tracking!

Cheers,
Steven
How about Pro Tools? I switched from a TDM system to UAD a few years ago and the simplicity of tracking only using the actual DAW is something I miss a lot.

I've always got my eye out for a new technology (I refuse to go HDX!) in interfaces that will allow me to have this again.

You've definitely got my attention.
Old 6th September 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
The VRS8 was created to be a native interface that boasts an incredible roundtrip latency as low as .7ms
Is this delay of .7ms truly the roundtrip latency or just the output latency?
I suppose these are marketing numbers with 96k and the smallest possible buffer size?
Old 6th September 2018
Lives for gear

Your sound guy should be fired. I heard not one, but two cuts on your breaths.

Also, no black V-neck?

Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovyomega View Post
Is this delay of .7ms truly the roundtrip latency or just the output latency?
I suppose these are marketing numbers with 96k and the smallest possible buffer size?
I think every manufacturer now reports their best latency with 96k and around 32 buffer size. Obviously you'll need a beefy computer to pull it off.
Old 6th September 2018
Gear Maniac
Mine gets here tomorrow. Can't wait to track some drums!
Old 6th September 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpbenoit View Post
Mine gets here tomorrow. Can't wait to track some drums!
What package did you get? Interface and mics or just interface?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search